sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

12 weeks weight training and cardio but very little fat loss

Hoping for some guidance as I am doing something wrong. Lost about 35 lbs 4 years ago and have kept it off with much healthier eating and a more active lifestyle. In January I started with a trainer to step it up and really tone up and get tight (currently about 25% bf). This however has not happened. I log macros every day, lift weights 5-6 days a week with 2-3 HIIT sessions. The scales have gone from 130lbs to 132lbs, never saw a decrease at all, and have only seen a 1.5 inch decrease in my waist. I think I eat too much, but coach says I need to eat this amount to build more muscle to burn more fat. Currently 270g carbs, 40g fat and 170g protein on training days and 30g less of carbs on non training days....ANY advice? Was considering a decrease of carbs to about 200...but am worried I will sacrifice muscle gains. Should I cut more or focus on building at this point?
    Should I also lift heavy with low reps or lower the weight and lift for more reps?

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sounds like you and your coach have conflicting goals.

Do you want to cut weight or build muscle, you can not do both at the same time.

Looks like the coach has you eating at maintenance and looking at body recomp, which is a slow process.

And if you hired the coach, why are you not trusting him and second guessing him???
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BootneckBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat bud.

The simple science is, if you burn more calories than you ingest, you lose weight.

Fact.

It's not like building muscle which requires certain parameters to achieve.

Hit cardio hard and eat sensibly and you can't fail.

Inb4 fat avi. I need to update
    Per Mare Per Terram crew*
    No ********/twitter/oestrogen network crew*
    Rugby league crew*
    Matchmaker @ 72 virgins dating service crew*

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by BootneckBrah View Post
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat bud.

The simple science is, if you burn more calories than you ingest, you lose weight.

Fact.

It's not like building muscle which requires certain parameters to achieve.

Hit cardio hard and eat sensibly and you can't fail.

Inb4 fat avi. I need to update
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.... muscle is more dense and takes up less space. but a pound of muscle is still a pound = a pound of fat....
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sparkster86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My coach told me that we were working on both and that yes, it was possible to cut weight and build muscle at the same time. I always wondered if this was possible since I was hitting the weights hard yet not losing very much fat. Hence, I thought carbs may be too high. If someone can tell me that over time with the macros I am on and with weight training, the fat will eventually go, then I'd be happier. All that I have read so far is that I need to cut, otherwise the fat will not move. It was just that when started in Jan, I was hoping to have seen more physical changes by now.

Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    It sounds like you and your coach have conflicting goals.

Do you want to cut weight or build muscle, you can not do both at the same time.

Looks like the coach has you eating at maintenance and looking at body recomp, which is a slow process.

And if you hired the coach, why are you not trusting him and second guessing him???

well what your coach has you doing is recomp (ie.. losing fat while building muscle) which is a super slow process.

You wont see big physical changes quickly. Its going to take years which is why people usually do bulk and cut cycles to see changes faster.

No one can tell you how your body responds to those macros in advance. That is why you have a coach who can programme for you and montior your progress.

Trust you coach.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) werrrkgurl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's your overall goal? If its just to get in better shape then don't worry about fat percentages and numbers on a scale. It takes a long time to understand and accept that these are just measurements and you have to be very pragmatic about them. Most people can't do this (which isn't a shot at anyone, it's just a reality in society because of how we're raised. Higher number on the scale -> I must be fat.) so don't stress yourself out over it. Worrying about numbers and measurements constantly can actually work against you by upping your cortisol levels. Just enjoy the process, take small goals like "I want to press 10lbs more by the end of the month" instead of "I want to lose 10lbs or 2 inches in a month".

Trust your coach, you're paying him for a reason.

NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50) NickleRoll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat.... muscle is more dense and takes up less space. but a pound of muscle is still a pound = a pound of fat....
    And lead doesn't weigh more than marshmallows.

I know that you know what you're talking about, and it's probably a pet peeve of yours when people state that muscle weighs more than fat. And it's a pet peeve of mine when people point out that a pound of each weighs the same. When people talk about muscle weighing more than fat, they are not comparing one pound of each, that's silly. The other variable is volume - they are saying a given volume of muscle weighs more than a given volume fat (for precisely the reason you stated - it's denser).

i just want to look good naked.

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by NickleRoll View Post
    And lead doesn't weigh more than marshmallows.

I know that you know what you're talking about, and it's probably a pet peeve of yours when people state that muscle weighs more than fat. And it's a pet peeve of mine when people point out that a pound of each weighs the same. When people talk about muscle weighing more than fat, they are not comparing one pound of each, that's silly. The other variable is volume - they are saying a given volume of muscle weighs more than a given volume fat (for precisely the reason you stated - it's denser).

Actually 99% of the time the person who says muscle weighs more than fat actually believes that

Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cara0915 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sparkster86 View Post
    Hoping for some guidance as I am doing something wrong. Lost about 35 lbs 4 years ago and have kept it off with much healthier eating and a more active lifestyle. In January I started with a trainer to step it up and really tone up and get tight (currently about 25% bf). This however has not happened. I log macros every day, lift weights 5-6 days a week with 2-3 HIIT sessions. The scales have gone from 130lbs to 132lbs, never saw a decrease at all, and have only seen a 1.5 inch decrease in my waist. I think I eat too much, but coach says I need to eat this amount to build more muscle to burn more fat. Currently 270g carbs, 40g fat and 170g protein on training days and 30g less of carbs on non training days....ANY advice? Was considering a decrease of carbs to about 200...but am worried I will sacrifice muscle gains. Should I cut more or focus on building at this point?
    Should I also lift heavy with low reps or lower the weight and lift for more reps?

You're eating more than 2100 calories. You won't really gain or lose weight with those calories as they're likely your maintenance (or close to it). If you want to see fat loss you'll need to lower your calories. If you want to see muscle gain you need to higher them slightly.
    Yes you can burn fat and gain muscle at the same time but it's a SUPER slow process. Like years and years before you see any substantial changes.

I suggest you stick around and read on the forums. The Stickys are the best place to start

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by NickleRoll View Post
    And it's a pet peeve of mine when people point out that a pound of each weighs the same.
    Secret confession...I also strongly dislike the "they weigh the same" claim. Of course a pound of anything is a pound. But most of the time when someone is bemoaning their "big" arms/legs or wondering how to fit in a size X when the fat vs. muscle issue comes up - these are all volume measurements. Yes, a size 6 squat booty is gonna weigh more than a size 6 lard-butt.

/supposed-to-be-studying procrastination
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu

Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Secret confession...I also strongly dislike the "they weigh the same" claim. Of course a pound of anything is a pound. But most of the time when someone is bemoaning their "big" arms/legs or wondering how to fit in a size X when the fat vs. muscle issue comes up - these are all volume measurements. Yes, a size 6 squat booty is gonna weigh more than a size 6 lard-butt.

/supposed-to-be-studying procrastination
    No, the problem i have with the "muscle weighs more than fat" statement is that this is only said by those who believe that they are heavy weight wise because they have sooooo much muscle, or that they gain muscle soooo fast.. its just hidden by all that fat.. or its those who are not gaining/losing like they want when the diet isnt there to support the goal... so this statement is trotted out as a fact so they can "feel better" about not changing.

How many size 6 squat booties do you see saying that kinda junk....
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

I have cut back my carbs, to 200g for training and 170 for rest days. Protein remains at 140 and fat at 40. I have continued with my weight training and cardio, but want to develop a more structured and efficient one now that the carbs are down.
    2 questions:

1. Should I cut even lower or stay where I am? No movement on the scales yet after 4 days.
    2. what kind of program mix should I have....how many days of weight training, how much cardio.

Thanks!

oh and PS: 12 weeks with my trainer and now up and I am trying things on my own.

Originally Posted by Cara0915 View Post
    You're eating more than 2100 calories. You won't really gain or lose weight with those calories as they're likely your maintenance (or close to it). If you want to see fat loss you'll need to lower your calories. If you want to see muscle gain you need to higher them slightly.
    Yes you can burn fat and gain muscle at the same time but it's a SUPER slow process. Like years and years before you see any substantial changes.

I suggest you stick around and read on the forums. The Stickys are the best place to start

syncerepassion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have cut back my carbs, to 200g for training and 170 for rest days. Protein remains at 140 and fat at 40. I have continued with my weight training and cardio, but want to develop a more structured and efficient one now that the carbs are down.
    2 questions:

1. Should I cut even lower or stay where I am? No movement on the scales yet after 4 days.
    2. what kind of program mix should I have....how many days of weight training, how much cardio.

Thanks!

oh and PS: 12 weeks with my trainer and now up and I am trying things on my own.
    Anytime I start a new program I always gain during the first couple of weeks. Currently cutting for a show and I am consistently changing my carb intake, depending on my workouts 75-150g of carbs. Your body could be holding on to water. What type of supplements are you taking.

I take 5g Creatine pre workout in 250ml of sports drink, 5g Glutamine post workout and whey protein post workout.
    I am 1 week into my new program (4 weight days using supersets, and 2-3 30minute HIIT runs). Total cals are around 1750 (previously 2100~ish). Not much change yet Working hard at the gym and sticking to the lower cals (as hard as that is).
    The attached pic is after 12 weeks of training...I wasn't impressed with the results, and I always thought my carbs were too high!
    Thanks

Originally Posted by syncerepassion View Post
    Anytime I start a new program I always gain during the first couple of weeks. Currently cutting for a show and I am consistently changing my carb intake, depending on my workouts 75-150g of carbs. Your body could be holding on to water. What type of supplements are you taking.
    Attached Images

New program

Hi am looking for a new program to start, that focuses on building...any suggestions?

blonda4ka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I read all posts and couldnt understand what do you want lose weight or build muscle, what is primary for you?

elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elaina08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I take 5g Creatine pre workout in 250ml of sports drink, 5g Glutamine post workout and whey protein post workout.
    I am 1 week into my new program (4 weight days using supersets, and 2-3 30minute HIIT runs). Total cals are around 1750 (previously 2100~ish). Not much change yet Working hard at the gym and sticking to the lower cals (as hard as that is).
    The attached pic is after 12 weeks of training...I wasn't impressed with the results, and I always thought my carbs were too high!
    Thanks
    You might not see it but I see changes. You look really great. Your arms and stomach, and shoulders look much tighter. If you want to lose faster you could take another 50cals off and see what happens.
    Romans 8:24, 'We were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?'.

How am I today? I'm truly blessed!

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for everything.