davisjaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Pre-run supplement advice needed

So here's the deal: I'm in the Army, my company is big on running, we will run 5+ miles at least every run day and at least 2+ miles on "muscle" days. I'm right on the verge of being overweight (73" tall--200-205lbs) and I usually run around a 15 minute 2-mile... but that's not good enough. I'm always feeling exhausted fast and the whole time I'm running the only thing I want to do is STOP RUNNING-- because of the fatigue. I finish the run but I start falling out near the end of the long runs.

So here's what I need: Some sort of supplement that will help my endurance throughout the run. Before I deployed I used to have a powder that i'd make a shake every morning and that would help a bit (can't remember what it was now though), and I've always taken oxydrene. The oxydrene helps a bit but I try to save that for PT tests so that my body doesn't get used to it. I would prefer a powder so that I could get the hydration aspect along with the supplement, but I can always just take a cup of water if a pill would help more...

any suggestions?

Afrozac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I'm correct, those runs arnt meant to e easy. There no supplement that's going to improve you endurance and help prevent fatigue, most if not all are use the placebo effect making you think that its better or easier because you took a 'special' supplement.

There's only one way around this, and it's push through it. I go through the same thing with preseason training, it's hard as ****, but you push through it, and come out on the other side, knowing that you had the strength for that task, that you could do it again, if not better.

It's all in the mind my friend, is it your body or your mind telling you to stop?

davisjaron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Afrozac View Post
    If I'm correct, those runs arnt meant to e easy. There no supplement that's going to improve you endurance and help prevent fatigue, most if not all are use the placebo effect making you think that its better or easier because you took a 'special' supplement.

There's only one way around this, and it's push through it. I go through the same thing with preseason training, it's hard as ****, but you push through it, and come out on the other side, knowing that you had the strength for that task, that you could do it again, if not better.

It's all in the mind my friend, is it your body or your mind telling you to stop?
    It's certainly my body... in my mind I refuse to stop... in my mind I want to be better... but my company is all about running... The majority of my company can run 14 minute or less 2-miles... I simply can't keep up with them. I never stop running, but I do fall the behind especially after a few miles... I start breathing heavier and I just get an extreme fatigue... there was one day about a week ago that I was so exhausted after about 6 miles that I seriously wanted to fall asleep while running (that could've been because of my lack of sleep the night before though).

TO ADD ON: I've been with this company for a little over 2 years now and I've gone from a 16:30 2-mile to a 15:17 recently... a few months ago I ran a 14:30... so I have improved... I'm just still not fast enough and can't keep up with the rest of my company.

My company is the 21st signal company... but with our ranger tabbed 1sgt who is all about PT... we sometimes refer to ourselves as the 21st fitness company.

Afrozac has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by davisjaron View Post
    It's certainly my body... in my mind I refuse to stop... in my mind I want to be better... but my company is all about running... The majority of my company can run 14 minute or less 2-miles... I simply can't keep up with them. I never stop running, but I do fall the behind especially after a few miles... I start breathing heavier and I just get an extreme fatigue... there was one day about a week ago that I was so exhausted after about 6 miles that I seriously wanted to fall asleep while running (that could've been because of my lack of sleep the night before though).

TO ADD ON: I've been with this company for a little over 2 years now and I've gone from a 16:30 2-mile to a 15:17 recently... a few months ago I ran a 14:30... so I have improved... I'm just still not fast enough and can't keep up with the rest of my company.

My company is the 21st signal company... but with our ranger tabbed 1sgt who is all about PT... we sometimes refer to ourselves as the 21st fitness company.
    You've pretty much answered your own question haha. TRY and get some more sleep, drop some weight and simply keep at it. Youve been making some good improvments already. Improvements come with time and effort, not money and supplements

LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10) LSDJEDI is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    GU gel is the only thing ive ever seen to work (and honestly dont know if it even works hah) but doesnt increase endurance just gives a little extra boost. It wouldnt even kick in yet on a 2 mile run though. On 5 mile runs I take it before and it gives me a second wind/kick about 1/2 way though my run.

In my opinion, weight is the key to running. I have tried everything as far as "running endurance goes" and was always around your exact size and finally was told to drop a little weight to keep my legs fresher to last longer and got down to about 185 and my endurance increased A TON! Now im at 178 or so, dont run nearly as much but can literally run twice as long and feel fresh. Drop the weight bro I guarantee youll be smooth sailing!
    "YESTERDAY YOU SAID TOMORROW." -Nike

GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000) GableGrip is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Building that fitness takes time. Just persist and aim to improve with every run.

However, you asked for supplements so I will give you an answer. It may or may not work for you:

-Start taking 4g beta-alanine daily. Timing is irrelevant.

-Take 2-3g of acetyl-carnitine just prior to running.

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LSDJEDI View Post
    GU gel is the only thing ive ever seen to work (and honestly dont know if it even works hah) but doesnt increase endurance just gives a little extra boost. It wouldnt even kick in yet on a 2 mile run though. On 5 mile runs I take it before and it gives me a second wind/kick about 1/2 way though my run.

In my opinion, weight is the key to running. I have tried everything as far as "running endurance goes" and was always around your exact size and finally was told to drop a little weight to keep my legs fresher to last longer and got down to about 185 and my endurance increased A TON! Now im at 178 or so, dont run nearly as much but can literally run twice as long and feel fresh. Drop the weight bro I guarantee youll be smooth sailing!
    Gu gel is a carb supplement for endurance athletes, right? If so - pointless.