Closed Thread
Page 270 of 272 FirstFirst ... 170 220 260 268 269 270 271 272 LastLast
Results 8,071 to 8,100 of 8136
    ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by drmmrRT View Post
    Question that has probably been asked but im not looking through 600 pg of threads lol: is superpump max ok on this diet? Done the diet before with great results but weight isnt falling off as easy and i have more to lose
    no ...
    i rep back if i forget pm me and i will do it on recharge............

getting massive again :)

show time next year

exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exnihillo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I am back... I got great results on this diet the last time I was on it.. After a major accident at work that caused three shoulder surgeries and ligament repair in the forearm, well lets just say I have been dirty bulking for the last two years I am still not fully able to use my shoulder so a lot of my workouts are modified to deal with it.

My starting weight is 190lbs @ 5'8"
    Diet plan goes as follows
    fat: 90/ protein: 270/ carbs: less than 30/ average calories: 1900-2000

Breakfast-5 whole eggs and some turkey bacon pieces mixed in
    Morning snack- 2 scoops protein + 1tbsp natural peanut butter
    lunch- lean meat 8oz. + 30g almonds
    afternoon snack- 2 scoops protein + 1tbsp natural peanut butter
    dinner- fatty meat 8oz. + greens
    evening snack- 2 scoops protein

Supplements: 5htp, raspberry ketone, l-carnitine, fish oil

workouts consist of daily 3-4 mph walks for about 35-45minutes, weights 5 days a week average of 45-60 minutes

Anything I missing or anything I am leaving out please point out.

shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shffl has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Will be trying this out starting tomorrow as I am nearing the end of my cutting phase. Hoping to use this for the next 6-8 weeks to finally get <10%. I am sitting at around 11-12% at the moment. Will report back.

Maybe someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong but is the information perhaps a bit outdated compared to what we know today about nutrition? I know years ago saturated fat was the devil but now we know the importance of it (as well as its positive effect on health). Coconut oil (MCT) has been shown to be an absolutely great part of a diet also. Even the author of the Anabolic Diet (forgot his name) changed his stance on MCT's and was recommending it. What do you guys think?

Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    alright guys I'm giving this a shot (been on it a week) but I think my primary concern is that I'm not getting enough fiber.

I'm getting around 40~50ish g carbs a day mainly coming from peanut butter and almonds and 4 or 5 asparagus spears at lunch and protein powder.

Here's my daily meal breakdown:

Early morning
    coffee w/sugar free unsweetened almond milk/peanut butter and protein powder

Breakfast
    3 whole eggs w/half cup egg whites (considering upping this to 4 whole eggs and less egg white)

Lunch
    dozen almonds
    7oz chicken, beef loin, pork loin w/4 or 5 asparagus spears

would swapping to skinless chicken thighs/legs be a better substitute for getting more fats?

afternoon coffee
    I know it's probably not ideal but Im' literally starving mid afternoon around 1~2 pm so I have basically the same coffee cocktail as I have first thing in the morning.

Lift around 4~5 pm
    post workout shake of protein powder/water/creatine/glutamine

right after workout
    salmon grilled

late night
    3 eggs (again, considering upping to 4)
    and a water + casein shake if lifting day or no shake if it's an off day.

So assuming I start grilling boneless skinless chicken thighs, this is what my daily macro breakdown looks like.

I told it I wanted 5% carb, 55% fat and 40% protein.

I'm looking for any recommendations in terms of what tweaks or changes/substitutes can be done to maximize ketosis and I honestly have no clue how to get the carbs lower than where they're at.

Reps for advice

Sig line can't be a novel

ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000) ste247 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Auburn RSX-S View Post
    alright guys I'm giving this a shot (been on it a week) but I think my primary concern is that I'm not getting enough fiber.

I'm getting around 40~50ish g carbs a day mainly coming from peanut butter and almonds and 4 or 5 asparagus spears at lunch and protein powder.

Here's my daily meal breakdown:

Early morning
    coffee w/sugar free unsweetened almond milk/peanut butter and protein powder

Breakfast
    3 whole eggs w/half cup egg whites (considering upping this to 4 whole eggs and less egg white)

Lunch
    dozen almonds
    7oz chicken, beef loin, pork loin w/4 or 5 asparagus spears

would swapping to skinless chicken thighs/legs be a better substitute for getting more fats?

afternoon coffee
    I know it's probably not ideal but Im' literally starving mid afternoon around 1~2 pm so I have basically the same coffee cocktail as I have first thing in the morning.

Lift around 4~5 pm
    post workout shake of protein powder/water/creatine/glutamine

right after workout
    salmon grilled

late night
    3 eggs (again, considering upping to 4)
    and a water + casein shake if lifting day or no shake if it's an off day.

So assuming I start grilling boneless skinless chicken thighs, this is what my daily macro breakdown looks like.

I told it I wanted 5% carb, 55% fat and 40% protein.

I'm looking for any recommendations in terms of what tweaks or changes/substitutes can be done to maximize ketosis and I honestly have no clue how to get the carbs lower than where they're at.

Reps for advice

your good to go good luck
    i rep back if i forget pm me and i will do it on recharge............

getting massive again :)

show time next year

Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000) Slimshady01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you need fiber get Daves Fiberlyze "spelling" and use 1 scoop in the morning and one at night.

You can also get the sugar free fiber at walmart that has almost the same content but it was cheaper.

That being said I started Palumbo a week ago. I was carb cycling prior to this which went well but love the dryer look that comes with low carb.

Avi is current pic, upper is really lean but abs are always slow to follow suit. going to get some ISO100 I think tonight to really get low on the carbs. I have the Elite isolate version that has 2 carbs a scoop which I can easily fit in palumbos macros, problem is the flavor I have I don't like with water!!
    Last edited by Slimshady01; 05-14-2013 at 01:29 PM.

E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50) E1GHTY_PR00F will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work midnight to 8 AM, do you guys think it matters what order I do the meals in? I typically eat at 4 AM at work, go to the gym after work at 8:30 with a shake before and after the gym. I've done this diet before with awesome results.

With this diet would it be better to go straight home from work, sleep, and have Meal 1 after waking up, then go to the gym, Shake after gym, etc continuing with the exact order of the diet?
    Rutgers University - New Brunswick Class of 2011

Cutting until I can see some fuggin abs.

August 7th, 2009: 265lbs
    July 19th, 2010: 233lbs
    August 14th, 2010: 224lbs

"Why try to fit in when you're a standout?"

Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Auburn RSX-S has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Slimshady01 View Post
    If you need fiber get Daves Fiberlyze "spelling" and use 1 scoop in the morning and one at night.

You can also get the sugar free fiber at walmart that has almost the same content but it was cheaper.

That being said I started Palumbo a week ago. I was carb cycling prior to this which went well but love the dryer look that comes with low carb.

Avi is current pic, upper is really lean but abs are always slow to follow suit. going to get some ISO100 I think tonight to really get low on the carbs. I have the Elite isolate version that has 2 carbs a scoop which I can easily fit in palumbos macros, problem is the flavor I have I don't like with water!!
    I got a jug of the stuff the other day and didn't realize till I got home but each scoop of that is 9g of carbs. It says take like 4 a day. I'm currently hitting around 30~35g carbs a day without taking any of the fiberlize. Wouldn't supplementing that into my diet compromise my ketosis?

or are those carbs for whatever reason treated differently than carbs that would be in food?? I'm asking this under the assumption that the body considers a carb a carb.

kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kshafiaq has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello, I recently started the diet and am liking the results! I weigh, 211lbs and am 6,2. I am doing the stronglifts 5x5 3 days a week, and cardio 3x a week at 30 mins LISS. I am following the 200lb man plan to the T. I have a couple of questions if you guys can help me out!

I lost about 5lbs in the first 3-4 days of the diet, assuming its water. Now, it's slowed to about .5lb a day. Is this still water?
    I recently started eating sea salted dry roasted almonds with my lean meal, is this okay?
    I have been tossing a handful of spinach with my morning eggs / each protein shake in the blinder. Is this going to hurt me?
    Last question! What Thermo, or fat burner would be safe to take beside the palumbo diet? I was looking at Oxyelite pro USP labs. Would this hurt the diet?
    Last edited by kshafiaq; 05-22-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ghetto Boy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This diet is much more suited to ENHANCED bodybuilders.
    **** jus trying to make my dream a reality

BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000) BiomedDood is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi

Going to give this a shot. Though I'm at 170lbs right now (trying to lose the final 6-8 lbs around the lower belly).

I noticed the daily cals are pretty high (2200 range). Isn't to lose weight/fat, one needs to be a slightly deficit to chip away the extra fats? I was expecting the total daily cals to be in the 1600-1800 range (noob alert, btw)?

Should I start this and simply reduce all the portion by half? (like 3 whole eggs for breakfast only, etc)?

Thanks!
    July15th, 2013 ==>155 lbs
    Current => 175lbs

digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) digistp has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should eat a balanced diet consisting of (preferably whole and minimally processed) foods that you enjoy that allows you to hit your macro and caloric goals, which can be calculated here -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981 , while allowing micronutrient sufficiency.

Don't follow silly diets like that.

calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Need some clarification with this diet macros wise! And a review of what I've been doing

Stats:
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: ~195lbs 11%
    Routine: 3 on, 1 off
    -Chest/Tri
    -Back/Bi
    -Shoulders/Legs
    -Rest
    (20-25 sets each muscle group)
    Cardio: 45min - 1 hour LISS (was doing HIIT) on days I do weights
    Work: 11h days manual labour

Work in a mining camp, so I can't just go pick any food, and I also don't eat any kind of nuts, so it's tricky!

Starting weight: Bulked to 202lbs
    Current weight: 194lbs (7 days in)

Now this diet is scaring me because of the extreme drop in weight so quickly. I've been sticking to 2400 calories like recommended for a 200lbs male however I work 11 hour days doing manual labour, been waking up at 4am before work doing LISS for 45min-1h, after work I hit the gym for 1.5h hard (2 muscle groups 20-25 sets each).

Now when I was bulking just prior I was eating 5000 calories, I figure in town I have a maintenance of 3-3200 but up here expend an extra 800 so maintenance being along 4000 calories, so eating 2400 on this is quite the drop.

Supps:
    -Animal Pak (breakfast)
    -Animal Flex (dinner)
    -ON Creatine Mono (5g post weights)
    -ON Glutamine (wake, post cardio, post weights)
    -ON Gold Standard protein
    -Scivation Xtend (during cardio, weights)
    -MP Assault (dropped it for this diet, carbs)
    -Milk Thistle (meal 1, 3, 6)
    -Potassium (seems to low on this diet)
    -ECA Stack (24e/200c/81a) (wake, lunch, pre weights)

Diet:

Wake 4:00am
    -1 or 2 scoop Scivation Xtend
    -ECA
    -Glutamine

Cardio

Breakfast 5:30am
    -5 whole eggs (fried)
    -4 egg white (boiled)
    -Animal Pak (2g carb)
    553 cal
    36g fat / 5g carbs / 51g protein / 1g fiber

Coffee Break 9:00am
    -2 scoop ON Gold Standard Vanilla
    -1Tbsp Mayo
    -1 slice Swiss Cheese
    -1 Cup Broccoli
    417 cal
    18g fat / 9g carbs / 54g protein / 8g fiber

Lunch 12:00pm
    -Deli Ham 8oz (sometimes combination of roast beef or pastrami)
    -1Tbsp Mayo
    -1.25 Cup Broccoli
    361 cal
    17g fat / 15g carbs / 43g protein / 10g fiber

Coffee Break 3:00pm
    -1Tbsp Mayo
    -1 slice Swiss Cheese
    -1 Cup Broccoli
    417 cal
    18g fat / 9g carbs / 54g protein / 8g fiber

Workout 6:15pm
    -1 or 2 scoop Scivation Xtend
    -ECA
    -Potassium
    -5g Creatnbe Mono
    -Glutamine
    320 cal
    2g fat / 6g fat / 48g protein / 0g fiber

Weight-Training

Dinner 8:00pm(changes daily)
    -5 3/8oz Steak
    -6 shrimp
    -Animal Flex
    319 cal
    11g fat / 0g carbs / 52g protein /

Overall
    2317 calories
    102g fat / 42g carbs / 301g protein / 27g fiber

Now reading info on DP diet
    It says 0.5g fat/lb, 1-1.5g protein, trace carbs, 2400 calories (200lbs guy)
    So ideally:
    100g fat
    300g protein
    30-35 carbs (not certain on trace)
    Equals 2220 calories

But later he posts
    60% protein / 30% fat / 10% carbs
    Which puts me at
    360g protein / 80g fat / 60g carbs

So what macros do I hit? Lol
    How's everything else look?
    I've been carb refeeding at 400g carbs on rest days. I understand I should have waited 2 weeks before a refeed, but the quick weight loss is scaring me for loss of gains/muscle

Thanks soo much!
    Last edited by calvindool; 06-02-2013 at 05:28 AM.

calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvindool has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd like to slow down my weight loss if possible, just hold onto the muscle from my bulk I put on. What can I eat more of to get more calories?

Getting very tempting to go back to regular carb eating dieting at probably 3500 calories.
    100g fat / 300g protein / 350g carbs (vary carbs for calories difference) / 40-60g fibre

Also, not sure if its the lack of sleep from the early morning cardio or the diet, but I've been sore like crazy! I'm never sore! Sucks big time

STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) STACK-N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok I have been reading through the pages in this thread and also the 282pg thread on muscletalk.

I am confused about the amount of almonds.

This is what I plan on doing...(taken from muscle talk thread examples)
    195lb male
    Meal #1: 5 whole eggs.
    Meal #2: 8oz chicken breast and 1/3 cup almonds.
    Meal #3: 50g whey protein isolate with 1.5 tablespoon natural peanut butter.
    Meal #4: 8oz fish with 1/3 cup almonds. (i am actually using chicken again with olive oil)
    Meal #5: 55g whey protein isolate with 1.5 tablespoon natural peanut butter (post workout).
    Meal #6: 5 whole eggs.

Ok...1/3 cup of almonds comes out to 2.6oz which is 416 calories and 16 carbs!?? In this other thread they are talking about taking in 15-30g of almonds. 1oz=30g which is 6carbs 16gfat...does this sound better?? I am just confused.

thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000) thegreatest911 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In for later. Thanks for this.

Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tekn0Pumpa is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    subbed

Originally Posted by calvindool View Post
    Need some clarification with this diet macros wise! And a review of what I've been doing

*SNIP*
    I would drop cardio. It's going to hinder your gains if you are doing manual labor all day long.

Second, download myfitnesspal for your iphone or android and then go to this site

http://cavemanketo.com/configuring-mfp/

And configure it for ketogenic macros. Ideally you want about a 60/35/5 fat/protein/carb macro breakdown. Configuring MFP to track your calories/macros with those ratios will tell you if you're getting enough of each macro. How you get them is more or less irrelevant.

Also, stop carb re-feeding. If you're constantly breaking out of keto all that extra fat you're eating isn't going to get burned. It's going to get stored because your body will constantly be breaking down the glycogen from the carb feeding.

I'm going 3~4 weeks between carb re-feeding and when I do, I'm more or less swapping fat and carb macros so my fat intake is as low as possible and carbs are 60%.

so far, doing this has been working out really well and I'm losing roughly 1~1.5lbs a week which is exactly what I'm aiming for.

AS far as losing muscle/gains, if your lifts and strength is not decreasing in the gym then you aren't losing muscle (at least not enough to matter). Increase your frequency of training though if possible. Train each group twice a week. If you do a 3 day split, do that twice. Lower the volume each workout if necessary but there are studies out there showing that if you, for example, train legs and do 20 sets of legs once a week, if you instead do 10 sets of legs TWICE a week, you will have better gains because your body is synthesizing protein for 48 hours after a workout. After that, the muscle fibers are sitting idle.... so why wait 4 or 5 more days before training them again instead of going back after 3 days and hitting them once more?

It's proven to be working well for me. I'm training legs 3 times a week and making strong gains as I'm dropping fat. I would highly recommend trying that if you can.

tral.lindsey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I just started this diet plan on 01 June 2013. I'm 31 years old, 6' 3", 210lbs and a nasty 17% body fat. I would like to get into competitive figure competitions. What would be a good place to start with goal for lowering bf% before I go into a muscle bulking phase? Mind you, I'm following this diet to the letter and will be posting biweekly progress pics and stats.

cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cvarricchio1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just had my first carb up and went with "eat whatever you want." My question is when doing this, do i need to worry about my calorie count for this day? DO i follow the normal diet for the day and then eat whatever for the last meal?

My first one i follow the diet until the last meal, then cheated like hell. took in about 450g carbs that day. Gained about 3 lbs.

Did i do this correctly? Should i change the way i do the carb up day?

Any input helps.

tuck80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pre/post training intake on the Palumbo diet

Hey dudes/ettes, I'm new here, so thanks for this great forum. I have read maybe 20% of this thread. I am on day 5 of the diet for getting shredded and so far so good.

One question: I just watched Dave's videos, and in part 2, (forum won't let me post the link, sorry!) at around the 11:30 mark he starts talking about how absolutely critical the pre/post training nutrition is for building muscle. I'm not sure if I have missed something, but in the diet as described in this thread, and throughout most of the thread that I can see, no one is talking about the pre/post intake, as if it doesn't matter as long as you eat those six meals.

But in the video he's more specific, like he says specifically not to have fatty protein as your post-training meal because you need super fast absorption to avoid muscle loss (and even the good fats prevent that). Also, he really emphasizes the pre-training meal and says it should be a shake with whey isolate and waxy maize starch carbohydrate because it'll feed the muscles aminos over the duration of training.

So, I'm confused about this. Is this diet mostly for people who are in critical need of fat reduction and who don't care as much about muscle gain? With Dave clearly emphasizing how critical the pre/post shakes are for building muscle, and since I don't see any of that here, I wonder if there are two different diets? Thanks in advance for helping me understand this!!
    Last edited by tuck80; 06-29-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: clarification

Originally Posted by tuck80 View Post
    Hey dudes/ettes, I'm new here, so thanks for this great forum. I have read maybe 20% of this thread. I am on day 5 of the diet for getting shredded and so far so good.

One question: I just watched Dave's videos, and in part 2, (forum won't let me post the link, sorry!) at around the 11:30 mark he starts talking about how absolutely critical the pre/post training nutrition is for building muscle. I'm not sure if I have missed something, but in the diet as described in this thread, and throughout most of the thread that I can see, no one is talking about the pre/post intake, as if it doesn't matter as long as you eat those six meals.

But in the video he's more specific, like he says specifically not to have fatty protein as your post-training meal because you need super fast absorption to avoid muscle loss (and even the good fats prevent that). Also, he really emphasizes the pre-training meal and says it should be a shake with whey isolate and waxy maize starch carbohydrate because it'll feed the muscles aminos over the duration of training.

So, I'm confused about this. Is this diet mostly for people who are in critical need of fat reduction and who don't care as much about muscle gain? With Dave clearly emphasizing how critical the pre/post shakes are for building muscle, and since I don't see any of that here, I wonder if there are two different diets? Thanks in advance for helping me understand this!!
    Palumbo's diet is primarily for fat loss with maximum muscle mass retention. It's used by a lot of people for contest prep to get their body fat as low as possible.

I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on post workout shakes. Just get something decently healthy/low carb in after a workout and you'll be fine.

Talking

Palumbo's diet is primarily for fat loss with maximum muscle mass retention. It's used by a lot of people for contest prep to get their body fat as low as possible.

I personally wouldn't put too much emphasis on post workout shakes. Just get something decently healthy/low carb in after a workout and you'll be fine.
    Cool, thanks for clarifying. OK so my plan is to do 21 days of "page-1" strictness and see what happens. If I get down to my goal of vascular abs, which I think will happen as I can feel some of them just under the thin layer of fat that's there now, then I might experiment by shuffling the whey isolate meals so they fall as my pre/post training nutrition. If that goes well without much fat gain for another 14-21 days, then I will start to take a 40g carb pre-training meal and see what happens on that for 14-21 days.

BTW, for any other people considering trying the strict Palumbo diet, I'm on day-6 and I have all the right signs of ketosis: slightly foggy head, yeasty smelling sweat and t-shirts, and most importantly, I'm definitely leaning out quickly around my sides and lower abs for the first time in my life. I've been able to stay intense in the gym so far, which has been surprising.

I think the results might be a little more dramatic for me than others because for my training life I've been on a high-carb, low-fat, high protein diet. Lots of rice and oatmeal all day, training days or not. The first 4-5 days on this diet I felt like I was freakin' starvin' to death, but stuck it out, and now I'm not even hungry. I don't think I've lost much muscle, but even if I have, the striations I'm starting to see in my legs and shoulders are worth it for summer. BTW My first cheat meal will be tomorrow and I'm going to chinese buffet for unlimited fried stuff
    Last edited by tuck80; 07-01-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: clarity

BTW My first cheat meal will be tomorrow and I'm going to chinese buffet for unlimited fried stuff
    Be advised that if you eat more than 40~ 50g carbs tomorrow, it will throw you out of ketosis. You'll have to spend the following 3~4 days depleting that glycogen to get back into keto.

While it's not the end of the world, if weight loss is your primary goal here (which I assume it is) pigging out on carbs is only going to raise that wall back up that you're going to have to knock down to get back into ketosis.

I think I went like 5 weeks of keto before my first cheat meal.

Be advised that if you eat more than 40~ 50g carbs tomorrow, it will throw you out of ketosis. You'll have to spend the following 3~4 days depleting that glycogen to get back into keto.

While it's not the end of the world, if weight loss is your primary goal here (which I assume it is) pigging out on carbs is only going to raise that wall back up that you're going to have to knock down to get back into ketosis.

I think I went like 5 weeks of keto before my first cheat meal.
    Oh man. Good thing I mentioned that. Fat loss and muscle retention is my goal for the next 6 weeks or so. I was under the impression that I needed to have the cheat meal regardless, maybe for other muscle-saving reasons. But I can continue stay carb free for the duration if need be. During your 5 weeks of consistent ultra-low carb days, did you experience much muscle loss?

During your 5 weeks of consistent ultra-low carb days, did you experience much muscle loss?
    None. I PR'd on every single lift. High fat diet = high energy levels and testosterone production = more strength. I didn't gain much mass but literally every lift went up in weight and STAYED there.

None. I PR'd on every single lift. High fat diet = high energy levels and testosterone production = more strength. I didn't gain much mass but literally every lift went up in weight and STAYED there.
    Awesome. I'm going to stay in keto and continue cardio for a couple more weeks (sticking with my 21 day plan) and see where I'm at. I should probably take some body measurements too, besides mass.

feroz18 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys I'm just doing some investigating and seeing what my diet would be like on dave palumbos.

5'7
    156lbs
    147lbs lean mass
    10lbs fat mass
    6.5% BF but realistically looks like maybe 12-15% mainly around stomach area.

Meal 1 24g optimum nutrition chocolate whey + 1 tbps of organic PB
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 24g optimum nutrition chocolate whey + 2 tbps of organic PB
    Pre workout -
    Meal 4 8oz steak with green salad + 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Post workout -
    Meal 5 24g optimum nutrition chocolate whey + 2 tbps of organic PB
    Meal 6 24g optimum nutrition chocolate whey + 2 tbps of organic PB

can any keto be done with ON whey? or are the carbs/sugar too high per serving? any thoughts? thanks

Originally Posted by feroz18 View Post
    hey guys I'm just doing some investigating and seeing what my diet would be like on dave palumbos.

5'7
    156lbs
    147lbs lean mass
    10lbs fat mass

Pre workout -
    Post workout -

can any keto be done with ON whey? or are the carbs/sugar too high per serving? any thoughts? thanks
    actual foods being listed are virtually useless to us. What matters is what all of this translates to in the macros and calories.

If you plug all of this into myfitness pal (and assuming by chicken you mean chicken thighs which have a better macronutrient profile), you're roughly looking at

2275~ish calories
    52g carb
    132g fat

I can already tell you that at your size, unless you're killing it 6 days a week in the gym, 2275 calories is too much. 2000 @ 6 days a week lifting for me yielded about 1~1.5lb per week loss.

Also, your carbs are too high. The peanut butter and whey being the primary contributors.

Ideally, you will want to try and piece together meals that hit as close to the 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carb ratio. It's not terribly hard but does't have to be perfect.

I would say you could probably get the calories and carbs lower if you substitute solid food for some of the shakes.

For example, I only do 1 shake a day consisting of:

ON Casein powder
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    1tbsp NOW MCT oil
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Coffee

That starts my day.

Breakfast consists of:

4 scrambled eggs w/1/2 cup of egg whites. I scramble those in a pan (using either a tbsp of coconut oil or real butter) and make an omelette with it adding 1oz crumbled fetta or goat cheese and 2 slices of bacon and just a little sriracha sauce.

With that, my daily total so far is right at 1150 calories, 90g fat and 12g carbs (70/26/4 macro split)

From that point, I will eat 7~8oz grilled chicken thighs with grilled asparagus, which bumps everything up just a little (total carbs only at 15g)

I'll pound about 16 almonds with another 5oz chicken thigh and hit the gym

Then for dinner, I'll finish up with 8 ounces of grilled salmon and a salad consisting of 1.5 cup baby spinach, 1tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp yogurt blue cheese or ranch dressing and a shaker bottle filled with ice water and a scoop of Fiberlyze fiber drink mix.

That all brings my daily total to 2000 calories, 151g fat, 153g protein, 21g carbs and 16g fiber. Macro ratios are sitting at 66% fat, 30% protein and 4% carbs. It's yielded nothing but strength gains and controlled fat loss.

Anyways, that's just an example of what I did to my own diet after not only looking at what the palumbo diet is about but also consulting others on keto macros and what not. Shakes are not filling to me personally so I substitute them with solid food for a much more satisfying day of eating. The trick really is to find food high in fat with little to no carbs and low protein. The way I approach it is by eating food with moderate fat/protein and simply adding ingredients really high in fat such as olive oil, mct oil, heavy cream, etc to jack the fat intake up. Otherwise I would be taking in far too much protein to have an effective ketogenic process (if any) and really, in my opinion, the hardest part about following a keto diet is to keep the protein intake at the optimum levels.

we've sort of been engrained with the "eat all the proteins" mentality but it's a detriment to eat too much when on keto. Too much = the body turning to protein instead of fat for fuel.

If you don't have a food scale, order one asap. I've got a couple of these

http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-...rds=food+scale

One at home and one at the office for measuring out the meat. Track EVERYTHING in myfitness pal and make sure that when you setup your MFP account, you go into the settings and customize your goals to reflect the ketogenic macros you're wanting (65/30/5) as well as your target calorie intake (which depending on your level of activity, I would suggest starting at 1900cal and monitoring what happens after a week or so... losing more than 2lbs a week = eat more)

Assuming you start at 1900 cal, you will want to put in 24g carbs a day, 137g fat and 143g protein. this will set that 65/30/5 macro split so as you add food to your daily diary, it will tell you how much you have left until you hit your targets.

Originally Posted by feroz18 View Post

5'7
    156lbs
    147lbs lean mass
    10lbs fat mass

Pre workout -
    Post workout -

i think that's too many shakes bro. it seems one of the big keys to DP diet is consistency so i'm not sure if you're intending to eat a steak every day, but i wouldn't do that either. why not stick with the original diet, drop a couple eggs/oz off each to adjust for your starting weight?

Closed Thread