Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gack513 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm looking to gain mass. Best workout routine?

I'm 18, currently at 192lbs and 6'0. A little bit of fat on me, but I'm looking to just gain the mass and worry about toning in time for the summer. Before I started working out, I never even played any sports or have done anything remotely athletic. I was around 5'11 and 160lbs. Here I am 30lbs heavier. I definitely have gains in my lifts from when I started, fast forwarding 2-3 years from that point.

At first, I did Starting Strength for about a year. However, I noticed most gains in my legs, and I was really prone to back pain and other lower body sores. I wasn't gaining too much in my upper body, either in mass or strength.

So then I switched to Westside for Skinny Bastards for about 2 years and I loved it. I had some gains in mass and strength, but as of lately I'm in a rut. I haven't moved up in any numbers. I'm alternate the program every 3 weeks, so I'm not in the same exercise group, but still, nothing really.

Is it a matter of overhauling the system and doing something entirely different, or should I keep at it?

gourlema has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What's your food plan look like mang?
    Canadian's- The only people in the world whom can make love in a canoe!

richardaa4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gack513 View Post
    I'm 18, currently at 192lbs and 6'0. A little bit of fat on me, but I'm looking to just gain the mass and worry about toning in time for the summer. Before I started working out, I never even played any sports or have done anything remotely athletic. I was around 5'11 and 160lbs. Here I am 30lbs heavier. I definitely have gains in my lifts from when I started, fast forwarding 2-3 years from that point.

At first, I did Starting Strength for about a year. However, I noticed most gains in my legs, and I was really prone to back pain and other lower body sores. I wasn't gaining too much in my upper body, either in mass or strength.

So then I switched to Westside for Skinny Bastards for about 2 years and I loved it. I had some gains in mass and strength, but as of lately I'm in a rut. I haven't moved up in any numbers. I'm alternate the program every 3 weeks, so I'm not in the same exercise group, but still, nothing really.

Is it a matter of overhauling the system and doing something entirely different, or should I keep at it?
    I think is best to start looking into more advanced programs were it can offer diet and nutrition as well as bodybuilding techniques. There are many great programs and e-books out there that can help guide you the path you want to go. Me personally Ive tried this new program that works wonders when it comes to bodybuilding you should check it out, go on my page and read the review I wrote for it. "Combat The Fat" & Gain Muscle Mass

mcorran has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep at it for a month or two longer.. It might pick up again soon.

If not, then get on another program.

Good Luck
    http://muscleupquick.info - Get muscular fast without supplements

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i would say diet the problem. at your level its hard, if not almost impossible, to keep adding weight to the bar without, at least, a slight surplus of calories.

if you were gaining weight (fat) but not gaining strength, then something is defiantly wrong with the workout. but if neither is gaining, its probably not enough calories

Originally Posted by james0566 View Post
    i would say diet the problem. at your level its hard, if not almost impossible, to keep adding weight to the bar without, at least, a slight surplus of calories.

if you were gaining weight (fat) but not gaining strength, then something is defiantly wrong with the workout. but if neither is gaining, its probably not enough calories
    As of the past 3 months, breakfast has been 2 scrambled eggs on a whole wheat bagel with bacon and cheese. 2-3 hours later: 2 scoops of whey with 20oz whole milk.

lunch: 2 small slices of pizza, and a burger

2-3 hrs later: clif bar

dinner: meatball sub or some kind of greasy/meat filled meal or a repeat of lunch

I know it's a terrible diet but it's the easiest to just keep at because breakfast is just something I have to microwave up and walk to class with, the same with the shake and clif bar. It's all portability. And dinner is something I buy at home and just reheat so I don't have to deal with the atrocious food here.

Clearly, a surplus of calories is not the problem. I definitely feel a little bigger overall, my arms feel a little bigger and so do my pecs, and just in general. The thing is, my bench press numbers are not going up. Everything else I can make a little progress in, but upon leaving for college, I could bench 155lbs 5x for 2-3 sets. Now, I could only do 155lbs like 3-5x for 2 sets. The weird thing is though that I have increased my numbers for DB bench presses. I just don't get it.

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As of the past 3 months, breakfast has been 2 scrambled eggs on a whole wheat bagel with bacon and cheese. 2-3 hours later: 2 scoops of whey with 20oz whole milk.

dinner: meatball sub or some kind of greasy/meat filled meal or a repeat of lunch

I know it's a terrible diet but it's the easiest to just keep at because breakfast is just something I have to microwave up and walk to class with, the same with the shake and clif bar. It's all portability. And dinner is something I buy at home and just reheat so I don't have to deal with the atrocious food here.

Clearly, a surplus of calories is not the problem. I definitely feel a little bigger overall, my arms feel a little bigger and so do my pecs, and just in general. The thing is, my bench press numbers are not going up. Everything else I can make a little progress in, but upon leaving for college, I could bench 155lbs 5x for 2-3 sets. Now, I could only do 155lbs like 3-5x for 2 sets. The weird thing is though that I have increased my numbers for DB bench presses. I just don't get it.
    thats really not that many calories...

what are your lifts?

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Clearly, a surplus of calories is not the problem.
    that doesn't sound like enough calories to me. are you gaining weight?

Originally Posted by james0566 View Post
    that doesn't sound like enough calories to me. are you gaining weight?
    Yes, I'm gaining weight. Upon moving in, I was about 175lbs-180, now I weigh about 192lbs. That's roughly at least 12lbs within 3 months. However, I don't know how much of it is fat and how much is muscle.

What I failed to mention is that that meal plan is like the barebones level I'll eat. In other words, sometimes I'll have an extra meal, like my friend's leftover Chinese food or eat some beef jerky if I'm feeling hungry in between those time periods or add a dessert to a meal like a fruit or sometimes cookies/pudding/etc. So really, that's the minimum and there's usually a little excess here and there

Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
    thats really not that many calories...

what are your lifts?
    My lifts follow the Westside template:
    (since I can't post links yet, google "westside for skinny bastards" and click the first result)

I take one exercise from each group and pool the exercises together. I change the exercises in each group every 3 weeks or so. However, it's been alternating between 3 different exercise plans: A, B, and C, each with their own set of exercises. The reason I don't change between those exercises is because either my gym doesn't have the proper equipment for some of the other exercises or I don't understand how to do them. And because of that familiarity, maybe that's why I'm not getting results. (In mass or numbers. My barbell bench press has stayed pretty constant the past few months, wtf?)

I'm looking for perhaps a new plan that can really shock my body and get some kind of results.

I'm going to do rugby in the spring here so maybe that'll put my body to the test?

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My lifts follow the Westside template:
    (since I can't post links yet, google "westside for skinny bastards" and click the first result)

I take one exercise from each group and pool the exercises together. I change the exercises in each group every 3 weeks or so. However, it's been alternating between 3 different exercise plans: A, B, and C, each with their own set of exercises. The reason I don't change between those exercises is because either my gym doesn't have the proper equipment for some of the other exercises or I don't understand how to do them. And because of that familiarity, maybe that's why I'm not getting results. (In mass or numbers. My barbell bench press has stayed pretty constant the past few months, wtf?)

I'm looking for perhaps a new plan that can really shock my body and get some kind of results.

I'm going to do rugby in the spring here so maybe that'll put my body to the test?
    ... i meant your numbers for the basic lifts.

8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000) 8footballQB is a name known to all. (+5000)

Fratleyslayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fratleyslayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    good blog, bro. thanks man, i'll be checkin' this out and following

... i meant your numbers for the basic lifts.
    My maxes are as follows (using a calculator online b/c I never wanna risk doing my maxes)

Bench: 180lbs (155lbs x 5)
    Deadlift: 275lbs (245lbs x 5)
    Squats: 240lbs (215lbs x 5)

Is that decent for someone who never picked up weights or did anything athletic 2-3 years ago? I mean that's a definite progression from when I started, but I guess I'm not getting gains like I used to because I'm past the beginner gains.

Fratleyslayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Fratleyslayer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My maxes are as follows (using a calculator online b/c I never wanna risk doing my maxes)

Bench: 180lbs (155lbs x 5)
    Deadlift: 275lbs (245lbs x 5)
    Squats: 240lbs (215lbs x 5)

Is that decent for someone who never picked up weights or did anything athletic 2-3 years ago? I mean that's a definite progression from when I started, but I guess I'm not getting gains like I used to because I'm past the beginner gains.
    for your weight and for those lift numbers they aren't that good and i'd say you got more than a little fat on you but no worries, bro! since summer isn't very far away, i'd worry about lean cutting till the summer. don't let me push this on to you, since it is just my opinion, but a lean cut would slowly put muscle on you, while also burn away the fat. getting the best of both worlds before summer gets here- a nice bod for the ladies, and gains in the gym to keep you satisfied.

Originally Posted by Fratleyslayer View Post
    for your weight and for those lift numbers they aren't that good and i'd say you got more than a little fat on you but no worries, bro! since summer isn't very far away, i'd worry about lean cutting till the summer. don't let me push this on to you, since it is just my opinion, but a lean cut would slowly put muscle on you, while also burn away the fat. getting the best of both worlds before summer gets here- a nice bod for the ladies, and gains in the gym to keep you satisfied.
    What weight should I be so those numbers look more decent? 175lbs? I know I'm chubby, my love handles jut out and when I sit, a get like 1 big fold of fat.

Anyway, how do I achieve a lean cut? I hear it's pretty hard to gain muscle and lose fat, because in order to gain muscle, you need an excess of calories while to lose fat, you need a reduction in calories. It seems pretty difficult to find a medium there.

Nonetheless, can you hook me up with a proper diet and workout plan?

I'm going home for a month this winter break and I was planning on doing "intermittent fasting". My friend is really knowledgeable on the matter and I don't see why I shouldn't do it.

My game plan is just to eat healthy and lose as much weight as possible during that month off, and if possible, try to continue it for another month within school. Intermittent fasting seems more convenient since I would only eat as much as possible in 8hrs. So with an all you can eat plan here, it works out.

Then I wanna try bulking again from February-April, and from there cut as much as possible in time for summer because I would go to the beach everyday.

What weight should I be so those numbers look more decent? 175lbs? I know I'm chubby, my love handles jut out and when I sit, a get like 1 big fold of fat.

Anyway, how do I achieve a lean cut? I hear it's pretty hard to gain muscle and lose fat, because in order to gain muscle, you need an excess of calories while to lose fat, you need a reduction in calories. It seems pretty difficult to find a medium there.

Nonetheless, can you hook me up with a proper diet and workout plan?

I'm going home for a month this winter break and I was planning on doing "intermittent fasting". My friend is really knowledgeable on the matter and I don't see why I shouldn't do it.

My game plan is just to eat healthy and lose as much weight as possible during that month off, and if possible, try to continue it for another month within school. Intermittent fasting seems more convenient since I would only eat as much as possible in 8hrs. So with an all you can eat plan here, it works out.

Then I wanna try bulking again from February-April, and from there cut as much as possible in time for summer because I would go to the beach everyday.
    like me, my brother.... trust me on this one, and just stick to one. it's very hard to achieve a lean cut, and why do it when you seem to be starting out new to working out, just stick to one. lean yourself out, or bulk up. then i, and many other people can help you.

the diet shouldn't change much though, bro! -500 calories for leaning out(there are great guides here, and all over the internet on proper meals, and what nutrients you need in each one) and +500 for gaining muscle.

while it may be hard to lean cut, i see ANY larger person at a very great advantage to any other person, because you already have the excess weight, you just need to turn the fat into muscle. well not seriously, but you understand what i mean, hopefully you pack on muscle, and your muscle will be eating the fat off your body for breakfast lunch and dinner! muscle is like a fat stove, it just eats it up. seriously! stick to a program, work on building muscle, and results will come, physically in the mirror, and in the gym lifting and you won't regret it.

Oh! the numbers, you don't ever really wanna lower your weight to make your bench feasible, you want your bench/squat/deadlift weight to go UP UP UP to progress, right!?

Originally Posted by Fratleyslayer View Post
    like me, my brother.... trust me on this one, and just stick to one. it's very hard to achieve a lean cut, and why do it when you seem to be starting out new to working out, just stick to one. lean yourself out, or bulk up. then i, and many other people can help you.

the diet shouldn't change much though, bro! -500 calories for leaning out(there are great guides here, and all over the internet on proper meals, and what nutrients you need in each one) and +500 for gaining muscle.

while it may be hard to lean cut, i see ANY larger person at a very great advantage to any other person, because you already have the excess weight, you just need to turn the fat into muscle. well not seriously, but you understand what i mean, hopefully you pack on muscle, and your muscle will be eating the fat off your body for breakfast lunch and dinner! muscle is like a fat stove, it just eats it up. seriously! stick to a program, work on building muscle, and results will come, physically in the mirror, and in the gym lifting and you won't regret it.

Oh! the numbers, you don't ever really wanna lower your weight to make your bench feasible, you want your bench/squat/deadlift weight to go UP UP UP to progress, right!?
    Well right now, I feel somewhat uncomfortable with my shirt off, and I'd rather trim down a bit, while I can afford to eat healthy at home for the next month or so. Then when back at campus, the only decent tasting stuff is the unhealthy food lol, so a dirty bulk it is.

Going back to intermittent fasting, what is everyone's opinion of it?

Modern Day Samurai shotgunshorty28's Avatar
    shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shotgunshorty28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    consume about 2,500 ~ 3,000 calories on the regular, plus some hardcore lifting and you'll gain mass.

Originally Posted by gforbes28 View Post
    consume about 2,500 ~ 3,000 calories on the regular, plus some hardcore lifting and you'll gain mass.
    you have no clue how manyy calories he needs to eat.

i'm cutting at 3500

Originally Posted by gforbes28 View Post
    Here's my current pics: (I'm not proud of them)

I know it doesn't look it, but my strength has definitely gone up and I've noticed muscles I haven't noticed before. I just feel somewhat pathetic that I've been working out diligently for 2-3 years and I'm not getting the results I'm expecting.

That last pic I uploaded was me before I started working out. So there is some difference, but enough in my opinion.
    Attached Images

Here's my current pics: (I'm not proud of them)

I know it doesn't look it, but my strength has definitely gone up and I've noticed muscles I haven't noticed before. I just feel somewhat pathetic that I've been working out diligently for 2-3 years and I'm not getting the results I'm expecting.

That last pic I uploaded was me before I started working out. So there is some difference, but enough in my opinion.
    I'm also not proud of my biceps. I think they're 15s, but with my 6'0 frame, they look smaller.

you have no clue how manyy calories he needs to eat.

i'm cutting at 3500
    Well if I'm gaining all this muscle/fat since moving in college, I'm probably doing something right with my calorie intake, wouldn't you say so? Going from 175-180lbs to 192lbs in 3 months is something I think. Now whether it's fat or muscle, you be the judge.

rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I am new here and do not want to start off wrong........................ but your diet sucks and youre not eating enough calories if this is all you eat. You need to use Fitday.com or something like it to look at your calorie breakdown also. You diet is the problem. At your age you probably need 4000 calories a day and it does not need to come from pizza and hamburgers.

Your snacks need protein like tuna or chicken.

How are you timing your meals around your workout?

Originally Posted by rt7057 View Post
    I am new here and do not want to start off wrong........................ but your diet sucks and youre not eating enough calories if this is all you eat. You need to use Fitday.com or something like it to look at your calorie breakdown also. You diet is the problem. At your age you probably need 4000 calories a day and it does not need to come from pizza and hamburgers.

Your snacks need protein like tuna or chicken.

How are you timing your meals around your workout?
    Well the only thing healthy over here that's full of protein is the grilled chicken, but they somehow managed to screw it up and it tastes awful. There's a salad bar, but there's no protein in there. There's a wrap section so I guess I can live off turkey and swiss or something.

I try to have something in my stomach at least an hour before a workout, whether that's a full meal or a snack. Then right after that I have 2 scoops of whey, dextrose, maltodextrin, and creatine in a post workout shake.

Does my diet matter as long as I'm getting in the proper number of calories, protein, and carbs in my diet? I mean lots of people eat ice cream to compensate for the missing calories and carbs.

bump

harbinger_usmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harbinger_usmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harbinger_usmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) harbinger_usmc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well the only thing healthy over here that's full of protein is the grilled chicken, but they somehow managed to screw it up and it tastes awful. There's a salad bar, but there's no protein in there. There's a wrap section so I guess I can live off turkey and swiss or something.

I try to have something in my stomach at least an hour before a workout, whether that's a full meal or a snack. Then right after that I have 2 scoops of whey, dextrose, maltodextrin, and creatine in a post workout shake.

Does my diet matter as long as I'm getting in the proper number of calories, protein, and carbs in my diet? I mean lots of people eat ice cream to compensate for the missing calories and carbs.
    diet always matters. regardless if your looking to cut or gain you still need to balance out carbs/proteins/fats or your just going to blast on bad weight. your new to working out it takes time man your genetics dont look so great so dont get hard on yourself. my genetics sucked too man well i've always had good legs but thats it. you might try switching your routines more frequently. i might get blasted for this but i change then atleast every 4 months otherwise i get bored. your diet sucks. its hard in college A. because your broke most likely and B. time is precious. If u can man just bring stuff to suppliment food they have. Add a packet of tuna to the salad bar they offer and if its iceburge lettuce try skipping it and just add more peppers for nutrients and maybe broccoli for fiber. just look around the site theres tons of great diet/workouts. just remeber eat right work hard and dont get down on yourself if u focus on it you'll get results eventually

rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rt7057 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I looked at your pics. If you want to change your looks you need to get control of your diet. Hamburger and pizza is not it.
    The first thing I would do is go to fitday.com and set up a free account to get a good idea how many calories you are eating. Get used to using the site. Log your normal diet for two weeks. You also need to know how much protein your are getting and how much fat and carbs. Your breakdown should be something like this 35-45 % protein, 30% fat and 20-30% carbs. I suspect you are way high on carbs.

For you now I would add some interval sprints at the end of your work out to get a little of the fat off. two minute lower rate one minute high rate. Do that for 15 minutes.

When you get your diet right, all you have to do it lower or raise your calories to cut or gain.

Originally Posted by rt7057 View Post
    I looked at your pics. If you want to change your looks you need to get control of your diet. Hamburger and pizza is not it.
    The first thing I would do is go to fitday.com and set up a free account to get a good idea how many calories you are eating. Get used to using the site. Log your normal diet for two weeks. You also need to know how much protein your are getting and how much fat and carbs. Your breakdown should be something like this 35-45 % protein, 30% fat and 20-30% carbs. I suspect you are way high on carbs.

For you now I would add some interval sprints at the end of your work out to get a little of the fat off. two minute lower rate one minute high rate. Do that for 15 minutes.

When you get your diet right, all you have to do it lower or raise your calories to cut or gain.
    Can you suggest to me an ideal meal plan when I get back to college?

For breakfast I was thinking 2-4 hard boiled eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast, and a fruit plus skim milk.

Lunch: grilled chicken with whole wheat pasta and whatever else they have here that's healthy

Dinner: a repeat of lunch with a little more variation, perhaps stir-fried grilled chicken with some veggies?

And in between those meals I'll probably have a protein shake or a clif bar.

Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10) Da-Risin-Smoke is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can you suggest to me an ideal meal plan when I get back to college?

For breakfast I was thinking 2-4 hard boiled eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast, and a fruit plus skim milk.

Lunch: grilled chicken with whole wheat pasta and whatever else they have here that's healthy

Dinner: a repeat of lunch with a little more variation, perhaps stir-fried grilled chicken with some veggies?

And in between those meals I'll probably have a protein shake or a clif bar.
    Ha, that's a lot better than just chowing down whatever every 2 hours isn't it?

Yeah, you can gain weight by eating whatever, but pretty soon you'll find out a lot of it was fat.
    Practice takes patience, but patience takes practice.
    -Me

Come at me, brah!