Thread: Diastasis Recti

LevellingUp is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Diastasis Recti

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting rid of this?

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's a medical issue, and can't be trained away. There exist postnatal physiotherapists who can help you. Ask your doctor to refer you to one.

LevellingUp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That sucks. I'll do as you suggest as soon as possible. Thanks.

celliem is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by LevellingUp View Post
    That sucks. I'll do as you suggest as soon as possible. Thanks.
    There are lots of ways to get it under control, even heal it. Check out the Tupler Technique at diastasisrehab.com. Also, google search it, tons of images and sites come up with great exercises. Stop doing crunches and ab exercises like that! They only make it worse.

lovetocamp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recommend a physical therapist that is familiar with treatment of pelvic floor issues and diastasis recti.

I have a fairly severe case of diastasis recti (about a 2.5-3 inches gap) that I haven't been able to close in the 3 years since my second child was born. I saw a really good physical therapist and did all the prescribed exercises and core work to strength and engage my transverse abdominus and even saw a fascia release massage therapist to assist in releasing tension from my obliques and nothing worked. I was able to narrow the gap a little, but even my physical therapist said it is really deep with too little tension created at my belly button and won't close on it's own. I am scheduled for abdominoplasty with muscle repair in October since I can't diet or exercise this away. I closed my DR after my first child was born easily doing core work I found on youtube for diastasis recti treatment, and the second time it was just more severe. I didn't gain that much weight and was a size 4 in jeans when I was pregnant, but my baby stretched my stomach way beyond what my tiny torso could handle. I don't know anyone else in my circle of mom friends that has had a case as severe as mine or even had diastasis at all.

It hasn't limited me too much when working out, but I wear a waist belt (at my physical therapist's suggestion to remind me to engage my core) and breath and brace my core properly and I am still able to progress fairly well with all of my lifts...although I've read online that fit women that are able to fix their DR (either through surgery or through their own core work and transverse abdominus work) feel much stronger with proper alignment of the ab muscles. I am excited to see how things change for me after my recovery. I really hope you are able to repair yours with core work!!! I was devastated when I realized I needed surgery to fix mine, but I've come to terms with it now.