Thread: Tweaked Knee

Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Tweaked Knee

I tweaked my knee during a light set of squats. THis was actually at the beginning of my workout so i just stopped everything (which really sucks) and just did some shrugs/abs/hyperextension and reverse hypers. I can move my leg, i can walk properly, i can put weight on it but sometimes i'll just move a certain way and i'll feel a little discomfort. Not pain but discomfort. I've started to ice it.

Anyone know what this can be? The discomfort is more on the inside part of the knee next to the kneecap.

I have an off day tomorrow so no worries about rest and Tuesday is shoulders/back hyper so no real direct exercises that incorporate the knee.

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well if the pain is on the medial side of the knee, this could indicate an MCL injury; do your knees cave in when you squat?
    And ya... go see a physiotherapist
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CM82682 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
    Well if the pain is on the medial side of the knee, this could indicate an MCL injury; do your knees cave in when you squat?
    Whats a good way of going about stopping the knee cave in when squatting? Is it based on lack of quad strength or something stuctural?

Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10) Zarazen is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
    and that's the funny thing that this week I took a wider stance forcing my knees out. I can think of two things that might of hurt it. One is new shoes that I never squatted with and two was my knees maybe traveling past my toes. I usually go with an Olympic squat but this time around I was doing more of a powerlifting squat.

necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) necichef86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what was the pain like. What it a constant sharp pan. Was it a quick payne that lasted a brief secound or so and wen a way. It could have been stress from a knees caving in or going over your toes.

Did it swell up. No offense at all but you could be over reacating cuz i know that injuring your leg in such a manor is scary. IMO you would really know for sure if you tore anything.

Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Barn01 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    General rule of thumb ... if it hurts more under load it's a bad injury and don't lift. If it hurts only when no load it could just be muscle or tendon pain from over stressing.

Since you did it squating I'm curious if your toes were pointed out properly with a wider stance. If not it could very well have lead to extra stress on your knee. Were you using a riser under your heal?

A few things you can do for strengthening the tendons in that area are setting a treadmill to max incline and a modestly lower speed. Walk forward, backward, and side step both sides. Try a min or two per postion and rotate. An ankle wrap for the cable machine can work as well.

As suggested physio can tell you if you have exess movement in the joint from either weak or injured tendons.
    My $0.02 is worth $0.03

Originally Posted by necichef86 View Post
    what was the pain like. What it a constant sharp pan. Was it a quick payne that lasted a brief secound or so and wen a way. It could have been stress from a knees caving in or going over your toes.

Did it swell up. No offense at all but you could be over reacating cuz i know that injuring your leg in such a manor is scary. IMO you would really know for sure if you tore anything.
    It didn't swell up. It wasn't a constant sharp pain. I was able to do some other exercises (non-leg) so it wasn't that much of an issue but I couldn't squat down even with just my bodyweight. The pain comes back from walking up-stairs, getting up from a seated position. Thing is, it isn't as bad as Sunday. More than anything, i just hate being injured. I don't believe i tore anything...if anything it is probably tendonitis.

Originally Posted by Barn01 View Post
    General rule of thumb ... if it hurts more under load it's a bad injury and don't lift. If it hurts only when no load it could just be muscle or tendon pain from over stressing.

Since you did it squating I'm curious if your toes were pointed out properly with a wider stance. If not it could very well have lead to extra stress on your knee. Were you using a riser under your heal?

A few things you can do for strengthening the tendons in that area are setting a treadmill to max incline and a modestly lower speed. Walk forward, backward, and side step both sides. Try a min or two per postion and rotate. An ankle wrap for the cable machine can work as well.

As suggested physio can tell you if you have exess movement in the joint from either weak or injured tendons.
    That's the weird part. I usually do olympic squats and never had issues. This time around I used more of a powerlifting stance so my stance was even wider and made sure to push my knees out when lowering the weight (toes following the same direction my knees were traveling in). The ONLY two things i could think of is my knees traveling past my toes and the fact I was wearing new shoes but the soles were flat and hard. Even weirder was the fact that it was a simple warmup set. Actually, now that I think of it, it could also be overuse considering I do a good amount of cardio and had also done a hypertrophy leg workout on Thursday.