Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)

Nautilus Mobia vs. Bowflex Treadclimber

I saw this infomercial on lately which, listening to only the audio I assumed was for the tread climber but when I took a look it was different and then apparently it wasn't being sold with the bowflex name.

Simply taking a look you can see it's essentially the same design though, so I am wondering, does anyone notice a difference between the two? I know Nautilus owns the Bowflex brand so I figure they took the name off to disassociate with strength training and give more of a 'cardio' feel to the product? I can't help think that the lighter (in colour and weight) looking design makes it targeted at the 'bunny' mindset?

The comparison chart, ignoring the stair climbing (I don't know how to compare that) lists that at a consistent 3 mph speed (seems low considering the max speed capacities of many treadmills...) a normal treadmill averages 150 calories at 0 incline, 240 calories at 9% (I'm not sure why the site lists percent instead of degrees) incline, and the mobia's top 'resistance' (incline) called level 12 gives 321 calories.

The problem, identical to the problem with advertisements for the Treadclimber, even if you ignore the whole "even incline treadmills can go faster than 3mph" argument, is that most treadmills go up to a 15% incline, not 9%, so it's not really fair since it's comparing the max settings on the product being advertised but not the usual max settings on the products it is being compared to.

I can't remember enough physics, but based on 150 at 0 and 240 at 9, would there be a way to extrapolate how many calories would be burned at 3mph for whatever weight sample they're using at 15 degrees which tends to be the max incline I see on gym treadmills? I imagine it's much closer to 321 calories than these guys would like to admit.
    Last edited by Tyciol; 12-04-2009 at 09:21 AM.

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    LOL. You figured out the "magic" to Naut/bowflex. They hype the weakness of their product to sell. the Tread climbers are both low quality and a gimmick but people fall for it all the time. for 2500 you can get a 10yr warranty Precor or true or a 5yr LF and have 15% incline and 12mph speed and the kicker, BETTER shock/ impact systems. lol
    People to this day are so easy to gimmick into sales. sucks
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

-Unknown Spartan Hoplite, 461 B.C.-

anastasiav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mobia

Originally Posted by kelt_22 View Post
    LOL. You figured out the "magic" to Naut/bowflex. They hype the weakness of their product to sell. the Tread climbers are both low quality and a gimmick but people fall for it all the time. for 2500 you can get a 10yr warranty Precor or true or a 5yr LF and have 15% incline and 12mph speed and the kicker, BETTER shock/ impact systems. lol

Can anyone tell me if they recommend the Mobia? I really do not want a climber, stepper, or elliptical. So it is this or a treadmill, but space is a bit of an issue. The Mobia seems more compact and so far the reviews seem positive? Thanks

kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000) kelt_22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by anastasiav View Post
    Can anyone tell me if they recommend the Mobia? I really do not want a climber, stepper, or elliptical. So it is this or a treadmill, but space is a bit of an issue. The Mobia seems more compact and so far the reviews seem positive? Thanks
    no one will unless they sell them. The short of it is it sucks. Get a treadmill. Precor, True, Life Fitness or Landice
    I sell home and commercial fitness equipment, so if you have questions on equipment PM me and I will help.

“When the light comes down, and the earth shakes with the footsteps of a thousand battalions, when the air sings with the sound of clashing shields, and the ground is wet with the blood of men, that is when I am most alive. That is when my life is taken to the edge of the point, that is when I am invincible until the moment of death”

anastasiav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no one will unless they sell them. The short of it is it sucks. Get a treadmill. Precor, True, Life Fitness or Landice
    Thanks and I hear what you are saying. Anything in particular that you do not like about it?

800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10) 800solidasspoun is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Treadclimber is ok, my parents have one. I'd pay maybe $500 for one at the most...Maybe not even that much. The most common problem seems to be that one of the belt/treadles slip a little or get off balance.

If they break or theres something wrong with them and they need repair it's a big pain to get them to send you replacement parts or anything. Plus it cost quite for them to repair it (parts are free, labor isn't free)

Originally Posted by anastasiav View Post
    Thanks and I hear what you are saying. Anything in particular that you do not like about it?
    To me quality AND support (service, parts etc) are the most important part of a fitness company. One reason I talk up Precor so much is not just the quality but the great support I get on their equipment.
    Bowflex is horrible on the service side has very low warranties with loop holes and not even the best quality all the while charging premium prices!

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To me quality AND support (service, parts etc) are the most important part of a fitness company. One reason I talk up Precor so much is not just the quality but the great support I get on their equipment.
    Bowflex is horrible on the service side has very low warranties with loop holes and not even the best quality all the while charging premium prices!
    I can back kelt_22 up on every bit of advice he has given you. I have spent the last 13yrs of my life working for (at one time, all now defunct) the three largest specialty fitness dealers in the United States. The Nautilus group is by far one of the worst in regards to quality and support, and unfortunately are one of the best in fooling the general public with their crappy infomercial products.

yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50) yitmy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Nautilus=bowflex right?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Is it really a better shock and impact system? When you step on a treadel it depresses under your weight which seems like good absorbtion to me. It's that 'walking in sand' feel as they call it in the commercials.

Treadmills might absorb impact by bouncing a bunch or something I guess but how well does it do that?

The main draw for this I thought was that you could put it at max speed and 'resistance' (incline medial balance) and do stuff like walk wearing a weighted vest to burn calories. Obviously it's not up to the requirements without that additional unless you're obese.

Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Nautilus=bowflex right?
    No, Nautilus is a company and Bowflex is one of several brands of equipment that they own. The name Bowflex lost its original meaning and now indicates home fitness equipment.

Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Is it really a better shock and impact system? When you step on a treadel it depresses under your weight which seems like good absorbtion to me. It's that 'walking in sand' feel as they call it in the commercials.

Treadmills might absorb impact by bouncing a bunch or something I guess but how well does it do that?

The main draw for this I thought was that you could put it at max speed and 'resistance' (incline medial balance) and do stuff like walk wearing a weighted vest to burn calories. Obviously it's not up to the requirements without that additional unless you're obese.

No, Nautilus is a company and Bowflex is one of several brands of equipment that they own. The name Bowflex lost its original meaning and now indicates home fitness equipment.
    Treadmills have much better shock systems than the tread climber.

Also, bowflex is the company and they bought Nautilus. Also Schwinn.

Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Gzs7 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The Mobia is a repackaged Treadclimber. It just has a modern/contemporary design to something that does the same thing.

ursurun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My first post here but i think it will be usefull - i was looking to buy a mobia but i found this review

runreviews.com/bowflex-treadmills/mobia-vs-treadclimber-vs-incline-trainer

After i read that i pick up the nordictrack incline and i'm not disspointed.

Cheers

nine65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nine65 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Slander

I sell Bowflex, Freemotion, Progression, Nautilus, and other products.To say that bowflex support sucks is complete garbage. Bolth the treadclimber and Mobia are great work outs. I also personally handle the service of all the makes we sell and i get great support from bowflex. Any piece of fitness equipment period will yield results if you use it properly and often. I could sit here and slander Life Fitness and Precore all day but i belive thats a pretty low thing to do. And im the competition. I speak well of my equipment and leave the trash talk to customers that are not happy with there failed equipment. Which i've definitly had some good and bad reviews on precore and life fitness products.

Registered User Cpl.Girthington's Avatar
    Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000) Cpl.Girthington is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sweet bump, have you checked out the stickies?

DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50) DC-333 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nine65 View Post
    I sell Bowflex, Freemotion, Progression, Nautilus, and other products.To say that bowflex support sucks is complete garbage. Bolth the treadclimber and Mobia are great work outs. I also personally handle the service of all the makes we sell and i get great support from bowflex. Any piece of fitness equipment period will yield results if you use it properly and often. I could sit here and slander Life Fitness and Precore all day but i belive thats a pretty low thing to do. And im the competition. I speak well of my equipment and leave the trash talk to customers that are not happy with there failed equipment. Which i've definitly had some good and bad reviews on precore and life fitness products.
    Man I could go an a diatribe here for sure. Check the stickies for this forum, go to www.cpsc.gov type in bowflex or nautilus and read about all the recalls, problems, injuries, fines etc. Look up past issues of gear trends, every year they hold a national survey for health clubs/high end specialty fitness retailers as to the worst companies to work with in the industry. Nautilus has won that category more times than anyone else. Also, something to ponder....In specialty fitness/commercial fitness, any company producing a quality piece of equipment that is in demand will have every other competitor in the market breathing down their necks to build and sell a similar piece of equipment, so that they too can make profit from said piece. Just look at the elliptical (Precor invented it, came out commercially in 95 and residentially in 97) now everyone in the industry is making one. Now look at the tread climber, only Nautilus/Bowflex make them. Non of the other big guys (life, Precor, Landice, True, Cybex, Pacemaster, Trotter, Woodway,) is even bothering to make one, and it's not due to Naut/Bowflex patents. Speaks for itself....nuff said.

Originally Posted by DC-333 View Post
    go to www.cpsc.gov type in bowflex or nautilus and read about all the recalls, problems, injuries, fines etc.
    http://search.cpsc.gov/query.html?qt=bowflex gives 27 results
    http://search.cpsc.gov/query.html?qt=nautilus gives 38

Thanks for the data. Though I'm not sure what other companies to compare this too since I'm sure many get problems.

tweens512 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Treadmills have much better shock systems than the tread climber.

Also, bowflex is the company and they bought Nautilus. Also Schwinn.
    I have really bad shins, ankles and knees from doing gymnastics for years so I try to avoid treadmills. Is there an option that is gentler on the joints? Mobia/treadclimbers seemed like they would be less painful which is why I was considering buying one until i saw all these post.

wintrsun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Treadclimber

What is the best treadclimber?