firehous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HELP-- How to body-build with High Cholesterol??

Hey Guys,

I could really use some advice here...

SO I'm 29 years old, 200 lbs, ~16% body fat... been into weight training for 2 years now and before that didn't exercise regularly or have *any* clue how to eat right.

Just had a cholesterol test this week (first time in 2 years since my "new life) and my LDL is now actually 20 points HIGHER than it was 2 years ago when I was a lazy piece of crap! (It was high then too.)

My diet is WAY better than it ever was and I've exercised pretty regularly - barring time I had to take off due to back injury (screwed myself with deadlifts!)

Supplements:
    I'm in a bulking phase right now and wondering if the Whey Protein shakes/Muscle Milk before bed might be messing with my cholesterol? (Muscle Milk is pretty high in Sat. Fat.)

Diet:
    I do eat lean red meat/chicken pretty much daily and know a nutritionist will say to cut that out..... but we know those are body building staples and not sure what I can substitute?

Any advice from you knowledgeable people is very appreciated.... I will never understand how both nutritionists and doctors can be so clueless about gaining muscle and losing fat.

A friend of the family is a dietitian and actually told me "you're eating 230g of protein?!?! the suggested amount for everyone is 96g!!"... a while back a doctor told me he "doesn't believe resistance training is healthy" -- this guy was the fattest skinny person I've ever seen!

*siiigh*...

jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50) jagxstang will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    could be genetic, could also be stress

cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50) cheeseandrice will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my mom is vegan and she has high cholesterol. how much cholesterol your liver produces is genetics. even if you eat healthy it can still be high.

i would try drastically lowering your cholesterol intake. and dont listen to people on this forum, even vegans and vegetarians can get huge. saitan, soy, tofu, tvp, i could go on and on with meat substitutes that would get you the same results
    Vegan

"there are ZERO conclusive and definitive peer-reviewed studies proving detrimental effects of phytoestrogens in dietary soy intake"

AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtTheWall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how you cook meat?

what is ldl?

I had 256, then 220- 2 years ago and I will check again at the end of my bulk in probably January. I hope to be under 200. Frying beef and drinking it's fatty juice can be a bad thing IMO.

I would suggest chicken only meats for 6 months until next test. Drain the juice and add evoo as replacement after draining the pan.

AtTheWall:
    LDL is the "bad" cholesterol - the number you want to be lower. My total is 258..... what did you change to bring yours down so much?

I usually just grill lean steak (top sirloin only) and lean boneless/skinless chicken... no frying.

What's "evoo"?

I know this thing could very well be genetic but I have to do everything I can first on my own... definitely don't want to get in the way of my body goals.

Input from others is appreciated.

Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiled has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should ask them to check which LDL is higher. There are two types of LDL, the small dense LDL being the bad one.

Also did he measure your triglyceride levels?

Originally Posted by Defiled View Post
    Also did he measure your triglyceride levels?
    I'm going in tomorrow to get a breakdown breakdown from the doctor and will post results... I know he'll try to get me to take medication but I want to get this down on my own if I can!

-Costas