mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000)

Before Starting Strength, have flexibility issues

Hello

For about 2 weeks I have been using the Starting Strength program. I am tall, long limbed and really seem to lack flexibility.

I notice it when I try to squat. I try alot of the cues on myself like chest up, push back with the butt, get parallel, stay on the heels. It feels like I am folding in half with a bent lower back. Off the floor I do feel my upper hamstring area/even butt muscles, along with quads workign together to get the weight moving. I feel it in my legs no question. But when it comes to straightening out as I come near the halfway point my lower back seems to be doing a whole lot of work. I don't think it's very safe. I have been working with relatively challenging weights, I have to grind to get a set of 5 with it. But I could be doing more weight...I hold back though because I'm not sure about my back. Also I since I hold back because I'm not confident in my back angle, I haven't been utilizing the stretch/bounce reflex very hard. I am working with about 135x5 but I think if I went full out I might get 205x5 doing fast tempo reps with a big bounce out of the bottom.

This also applies to deadlifts, I can't get in proper position to pull without rounding my back. Maybe both problems are just simple errors that could be coached. I workout alone and trying to teach myself these lifts out of a book. There is alot to remember and I can't tell if I'm doing it right/wrong anyways at the bottom of a lift.

I am looking for some advice what to do right now on the program. I am about 2 weeks in and starting to see gains in strength. I can keep adding weight to all my lifts (power clean I am still a bit awkward with). I am trying to stretch everyday in the gym, full body with emphasis on hamstrings and hips but I really can't tell if it's working. My hamstring flexibility has improved about 2-3" of reach but I still feel I'm rounding my back in the bottom of a squat.
    Last edited by mfitty9000; 11-30-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    The video camera is your friend. You don't even have to post it but being able to see what you are doing really helps.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000) mfitty9000 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hmm I guess I should bring the phone cam into the gym and just record a few lifts then. Due for a new phone soon, my current one is pretty last generation with limitted record timer and really bad resolution. Hopefully it will be enough to get setup and see my back angle while squatting.

kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50) kziwarrior will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The flexibility will come. If you haven't yet I STRONGLY recommend you pic up the book and possibly the videos. Also check out Rippetoes actual forum where his help many people in your position. You can search the videos to see people in similar situations and what they need to do to fix it.

http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/index.php
    You are right to be wary. There is much bull****. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Rippetoe

www.KenZenIchii.com
    www.BSRWarriors.com

m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) m_risinger is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    try slower rep speeds and holding yourself in the bottom and top of certain exercises and get a muscular contraction

james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50) james0566 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    without seeing you lift, its hard to diagnose. a couple of things that cause the back to round... first, too much weight.

But a common one that's overlooked is head position. if you're looking down, toward your feet, your head will tend to stay down (looking toward feet) as you ascend, causing the back to round. keep your head straight with the spine ( eyes looking at the floor 6 or 8 feet in front of you or even up a little more, looking further out. this will help keep the back straight