Who Dat? Who Der? Dat BTK Krieger119's Avatar
    Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

how long is chicken good for in the fridge?

I used to cook in bulk but I just hated the taste of grilled chicken thats a couple days old. So I'd like to have a tupperware full of chicken thats ready to just be thrown on the grill whenever I need. However, my girl and I are debating how long prepped chicken would last in the fridge before it goes bad. Of course me being the guy says thats it lasts much longer than what she claims. So does anyone have any more accurate info? Thx in advance.
    Never be satisfied
    Like Dr. Cox once said,"The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth, 'I Hate My Body' ... Do you understand that the second you look in the mirror and you're happy with what you see, Baby, you just lost the battle."

Large Mammary Aficionado IronAlex's Avatar
    IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post
    I used to cook in bulk but I just hated the taste of grilled chicken thats a couple days old. So I'd like to have a tupperware full of chicken thats ready to just be thrown on the grill whenever I need. However, my girl and I are debating how long prepped chicken would last in the fridge before it goes bad. Of course me being the guy says thats it lasts much longer than what she claims. So does anyone have any more accurate info? Thx in advance.
    Well Im not sure exactly on how long it lasts and Im sure it depends on a lot of things, but I have had chicken last at least 2 weeks without going bad just sitting in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Along with pre-cooked chicken that has lasted as long. And you can usually smell it when something has gone bad (or it will grow somehting nasty).
    USMC
    ★cVc★
    Semper Fit
    www.thedisposableheroesproject.com
    http://thetellingproject.org/

Who Dat? Who Der? Dat BTK Krieger119's Avatar
    Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Krieger119 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by IronAlex View Post
    Well Im not sure exactly on how long it lasts and Im sure it depends on a lot of things, but I have had chicken last at least 2 weeks without going bad just sitting in the fridge waiting to be cooked. Along with pre-cooked chicken that has lasted as long. And you can usually smell it when something has gone bad (or it will grow somehting nasty).
    I knew I was right lol
    Never be satisfied
    Like Dr. Cox once said,"The key to my exercise program is this one simple truth, 'I Hate My Body' ... Do you understand that the second you look in the mirror and you're happy with what you see, Baby, you just lost the battle."

bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by IronAlex View Post
    2 WEEKS? You have to be kidding... chicken starts to turn after a couple days dude. Fresh chicken is relatively odorless, leave it in the fridge for a few days and it starts to get the stank... anything over 3 or 4 days and it starts to smell like death.

Any raw chicken you aren't going to cook within a day or 2 should go in the freezer imo... just pull it out the night before and put it in the fridge it will be ready the next day.
    FLORIDA GATORS CREW

WELL I STAND UP NEXT TO A MOUNTAIN... CHOP IT DOWN WITH THE EDGE OF MY HAND...

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigdan View Post
    2 WEEKS? You have to be kidding... chicken starts to turn after a couple days dude. Fresh chicken is relatively odorless, leave it in the fridge for a few days and it starts to get the stank... anything over 3 or 4 days and it starts to smell like death.

Any raw chicken you aren't going to cook within a day or 2 should go in the freezer imo... just pull it out the night before and put it in the fridge it will be ready the next day.
    I think you are incorrect.

OP - I would be comfortable leaving it there for 10 days or so....just cook it well! But keeping it in the freezer and thawing 2 days ahead of time would be best IMO.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

Large Mammary Aficionado IronAlex's Avatar
    IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IronAlex is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bigdan View Post

Well the day I get sick from it is the day I change what I do but so far it hasnt been a problem for me.
    USMC
    ★cVc★
    Semper Fit
    www.thedisposableheroesproject.com
    http://thetellingproject.org/

alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) alaskaboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Google is your friend.

The reccommended time to store cooked chicken is 3-4 days. Depending on your fridge, you could get another day or two out of it before you should worry.
    There is a skinny man inside me screaming to get out, but I can usually shut him up with some bacon.

bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000) bigdan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    I think you are incorrect.

OP - I would be comfortable leaving it there for 10 days or so....just cook it well! But keeping it in the freezer and thawing 2 days ahead of time would be best IMO.
    I dunno guys maybe I am hallucinating or something but I don't leave raw meat in my fridge for over a week and eat it... I guess it's the smell that gets me... not looking to get in an argument over it so bon appetite!
    FLORIDA GATORS CREW

WELL I STAND UP NEXT TO A MOUNTAIN... CHOP IT DOWN WITH THE EDGE OF MY HAND...

taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) taf1968 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think it's deceptive because a lot of the chicken you buy in stores is vacuum packed . . . so it keeps a lot longer in the fridge. But if we're talking about nothing more than a piece of raw, thawed chicken on a plate or in a container (not in the original store package) inside your fridge, I wouldn't trust it past about 4 or 5 days. Marinated will last a bit longer. You might very well get a few more days out of it, but chicken is too darn cheap to risk food poisoning over it.

If you are regularly eating chicken (cooked or thawed) that has been in your fridge for 2 weeks, you have been pretty lucky so far IMHO. Just my two cents, though.
    *MFC Elder Statesmen Cabinet Crew*

**Distal Bicep Rupture Crew (Feb 2013)** -- recovery log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151942933
    **Extreme Dips Crew** - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136113651

Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Krieger119 View Post
    I knew I was right lol
    Sorry to break it to you but if you said 2 weeks to your girlfriend, then she won. Once thawed, chicken gets slimy and gross by like the 5th day. You might not see it if you had marinated the chicken. By the end of the second week it will smell nasty. I would take my chances with a piece of chicken contaminated with H1N1 before I'd eat your 2 week old chicken.

garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) garthmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would only let it sit in the fridge in a ziplock uncooked in the fridge 3 maybe 4 days tops. After that it's trash in my book

Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Astrodust has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty sure also that if you didn't like the taste of 2 day old fresh chicken, you probably won't like the taste of 2 week old chicken.

plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50) plateau_max will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you pre-cook it, it will last much longer. I often will take about 6-8 chicken breasts and bake them in the oven wrapped in banana leaves, then let them cool before chopping them up into small pieces and putting the pieces in a tuppeware container. It takes me at least a week to get to the bottom of the container and at the very end it still smells and tastes good.

Keep the temp in your fridge relatively low, and make sure anything you contain in there has a good seal. Using a large ziplock and putting said ziplock inside tuppeware isn't a bad idea either. The higher heat and more oxygen, the quicker things spoil.

Personally I would never store raw chicken in the fridge, there's no point. You can take frozen chicken out of the freezer and put it in a container of marinade, let it sit overnight and the next day you're good. No point in having raw chicken in the fridge for more than a day when there's a freezer. Heck if you want to marinate it, then you don't feel like eating it... just put the chicken in a ziplock with some of the marinade and put it back in the freezer!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141149431&p=809424601#post8094246011 - If you think sleep is important

NASM CPT (July 2006)
    NCSA CPT (December 2006)
    BS - Human Biology and Nutrition (May 2011)
    MS - Physiology (May 2013)
    CSCS (July 2013)
    PhD - Physiology (June 2015)