Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weight Lifting and Angina

Now I'm not 35... but this is without a doubt the forum to be talking to. I was wondering if anyone has experience lifting weights, while dealing with angina. I'm not 100% sure that I have it, but from what I've read, it seems like I do. I experience chest pain (right in the solar plexus area) and I seem to build up lactic acid at a much, much faster rate. Today for instance, I warmed up then did 3 sets of 10 on lat pull-downs. That was all took, and my biceps were practically burnt out. I know how to focus my back, and I rarely put much strain on secondary muscles when working out certain body parts, and with 7 years of lifting I've never experienced anything like this.

I'm enlisted in the Marines, and I constantly fail my mile and a half run, despite being in great shape. I tighten up by the solar plexus, and it practically cuts off my breathing(I know it's not asthma, or a side stitch) to the point where I have to walk it off, because I know I'll pass out if I attempt to push through it. I also fill up with lactic acid almost immediately during PT, and cramp up during practically everything. This is far from normal, as I've boxed and competed in martial arts just a few years ago, without ever having a problem with endurance based activities.

I'm mainly just asking around, to see if this is similar to what someone experiences who do suffer from Angina. I'll get killed with bills just from having a few tests done, so I'd like to have a very good idea before going in. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I can't run a mile and a half in a measly 13:30 when I used to do it in under 9. I'd almost be happy to have heart disease just to understand what the hell is going on.

One other thing to add, my heart rate also hits around 170 just from weight lifting.
    Last edited by Anderzak; 11-28-2009 at 04:29 PM.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Go see a freaking doc. If it is your heart you need to know and get treated. What's money if you're dead? Seriously.

BTW, it could easily be reflux, hiatal hernia, or some other non-serious condition. Make an appointment Monday.

Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Anderzak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by freebirdmac View Post
    Go see a freaking doc. If it is your heart you need to know and get treated. What's money if you're dead? Seriously.

BTW, it could easily be reflux, hiatal hernia, or some other non-serious condition. Make an appointment Monday.
    I have an appointment, but it's not until 12-15 so I've got time to see if I can just cancel it. Plus, even a non-serious condition can end up keeping me out of the Marines, or end up in a dishonorable discharge down the line.

If anything I'd still like to know if it's an accurate assessment, just to know.
    Last edited by Anderzak; 11-28-2009 at 04:53 PM.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Anderzak View Post
    I have an appointment, but it's not until 12-15 so I've got time to see if I can just cancel it. Plus, even a non-serious condition can end up keeping me out of the Marines, or end up in a dishonorable discharge down the line.

If anything I'd still like to know if it's an accurate assessment, just to know.
    Dude this is one appointment you gotta keep. Everything is irrelevant if you have a serious underlying condition. I don't know what non-serious conditions are a threat to getting into and staying in the marines, but you have to rule the worse out. Odds are it's not serious. Finding that out can be enough to allow you to relax your chest so you can make that timed run. Finding the cause and figuring out what's needed to remedy it is the only thing you can do. Even if you make that timed run and get in, this will hold you up once you're in. Which is worse. Find out now.