l33p3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have no idea how to lift while trying to cut

Hi, I'm new to lifting and I'm trying to lose weight for the time being. I did starting strength for a bit, but I changed my goal and would like to lower my bf% to around 10-11 before trying to gain weight. I'm pretty sure I have my diet down, I just have no idea how to lift during a cut though. It seems silly to do a 3x5 on a calorie deficit. So I'm looking for a routine I could do while cutting.

Aside from reading that lifting while on a calorie deficit helps maintain muscle (doesn't seem right..), I just like lifting. I'd rather not stop and completely focus on cardio. I want to do a mix of both.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by l33p3r View Post
    Hi, I'm new to lifting and I'm trying to lose weight for the time being. I did starting strength for a bit, but I changed my goal and would like to lower my bf% to around 10-11 before trying to gain weight. I'm pretty sure I have my diet down, I just have no idea how to lift during a cut though. It seems silly to do a 3x5 on a calorie deficit. So I'm looking for a routine I could do while cutting.

Aside from reading that lifting while on a calorie deficit helps maintain muscle (doesn't seem right..), I just like lifting. I'd rather not stop and completely focus on cardio. I want to do a mix of both.

Bump

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi, I'm new to lifting and I'm trying to lose weight for the time being. I did starting strength for a bit, but I changed my goal and would like to lower my bf% to around 10-11 before trying to gain weight. I'm pretty sure I have my diet down, I just have no idea how to lift during a cut though.
    You should be training ( basically ) the same. Bulking or cutting is determined by diet, not training.

Aside from reading that lifting while on a calorie deficit helps maintain muscle (doesn't seem right..),
    What doesn't seem right?

I'd rather not stop and completely focus on cardio.
    No don't do that, that's how you loose muscle.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

BUT, IMHO, if you're new to lifting and not obese you shouldn't be trying to cut, you should focus on building muscle.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

grimlaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I was an obese endomorph, with a higher body fat % than I care to admit to. But after several years of steady training and strict diet (2000 calories per day - give or take) have worked my way down to 10% body fat. It has taken me four years to do this because of my age and genetics. I wasn't interested in loosing fat any quicker because I didn't want to have the problem of excess skin. I train with weights six mornings a week (2 body parts per day in a 1hr session), and 30 minutes of cardio 4-5 afternoons a week (I ride a recumbent bike because I have a back injury).

I don't begrudge the length of time this is taking me because I am in it for the long haul, this is a lifestyle choice, not a quick fix for instantaneous gratification.

I have spent a LOT of my spare time researching the sort of training I should be doing, the sorts of food I should be eating and avoiding, the correct supplements to use, and the cardio I should be doing, and I think I have hit on the right formula for me.

As far as a routine goes, lifting weights is the same for endomorphs, ectomorphs, and mesomorphs: 100% correct technique - lift with your muscles, not your ego. Only lift as much as you are able to, using correct technique.

If you stick to eating sensibly, and training properly, and are patient with your progress, you will achieve your goals.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    While it is generally true that it becomes harder to progress while on a caloric deficit, I think it can very often be overshadowed by the trainees ability to adapt due to their training age. If you haven't been on SS for very long or haven't progressed that much, you will probably continue progressing for a few weeks.

When the linear progress stops working you can alternate a heavy squat day with a lighter day and progress only once every 2 workouts instead of every workout. Heavy - light - heavy light etc. When that stops working a good idea would be to try the Texas Method with a volume squat day, a light squat day and then an intensity squat day. You will now be making progress between mondays and mondays and fridays and fridays, and you get to vary the intensity and volume throughout the week.

Make sure you have a microloading solution so you can make jumps smaller than 5 lbs, which you will need for the presses, especially while cutting.

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    While it is generally true that it becomes harder to progress while on a caloric deficit, I think it can very often be overshadowed by the trainees ability to adapt due to their training age. If you haven't been on SS for very long or haven't progressed that much, you will probably continue progressing for a few weeks.

When the linear progress stops working you can alternate a heavy squat day with a lighter day and progress only once every 2 workouts instead of every workout. Heavy - light - heavy light etc. When that stops working a good idea would be to try the Texas Method with a volume squat day, a light squat day and then an intensity squat day. You will now be making progress between mondays and mondays and fridays and fridays, and you get to vary the intensity and volume throughout the week.

Make sure you have a microloading solution so you can make jumps smaller than 5 lbs, which you will need for the presses, especially while cutting.
    Would a "light" day be like 80% of my working weight?

Thanks for the help.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    For the texas method yeah you would use 80% of mondays weight on wednesday, for something like 2 sets of 5.