Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50) pumplikeeecummings will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Your key to building a bigger chest (guaranteed)

Hello all, I am new to bodybuilding.com and wanted to give a big hello to everyone. Now onto the points of this article and who is it for.

Currently I hopefully will attain my degree in kinesiology in 2 more years (been going for about 3 years), and there are some things I would like to address and I know some things I mention will cause chaos amongst the people who argue that the chest is one muscle contracting simultaneously (which is true).

Why did I chose to write this article? Well the answer is simple and in the title. Some info on me: I am 6'2 180 (not too big) but at 10 percent body fat. I am primarily an ectomorph, meaning I have a smaller and longer bone structure. I played football as a reciever in highschool, stopped working out for about a year and a half, began riding motorcycles...wrecked after a while, met a girl, she really messed me over, and here wew are 11 months later and in pretty good shape again. Now onto the article.

Why do you have a small chest? There could bbe more than one reason, but this is primarily written for the ecto morph with long limbs. Having longer limbs changes our bio mechanics on lifting weights. Especially on the bench press. Another reason why your chest is under developed is because you are note working them the right way (getting a peak contraction). Many debate that there is no inner, outer, upper, lower or inner chest. And physiologically speaking your are right. The chest is primarily one big slab of muscle that contracts in a synergistic motion, but here is what they are not discerning: if you do not full engage the pectorals (peak contraction) you WILL have uneven development. The inner part of the chest can develop small stabilizing muscle through certain exercises. So for those who say there isn't an inner chest, you are right. For those who say you can develop the inner part of that muscle to its genetic limit (meaning actually engaging those muscles) you are right as well. Its a double sided blade. The reason why trainers recommend close grip bench and pec dec flys is because it engages muscles you DON'T engage during a bench press. Getting a peak contraction. For people like me, you might notice you have longer reach than others so while benching more of your and stress in places on your triceps and anterior deltoids. I can attest to this myself when in football I noticed my arms (triceps) and shoulders began growing like crazy, yet my chest still underdeveloped.

Don't worry onto the good stuff...

How to correct the issue an balance out that chest?

Well for people with longer arms, you are at a disadvantage at certain exercises for crucial chest development like the bench cause the pecs are not fully engaged. For more mesomorphic people, you have no problem developing the chest cause your arms are shorter, and the leverage at which you lift the weight can allow you to fully engage your pecs with no problem. So how do the taller ectomorphs build more mass in the chest? Here are my proven tips that will help you reach your chests genetic potential.

1. Mind muscle connection.

This has probably been butchered to death by bodybuilders, and some people look past it often. The main reason your chest is underdeveloped is not because you are a hardgainer, or because you can't build mass...it is because you are not fully activated what you have. A good way to build mind muscle connection is to lift slowly (3 sec down, 3 sec pause, 3 sec up) and with lighter weights for at least a month or so. It took me 3 years to build up that mind muscle connection, but if you focus on it...you'll get there alot faster than that.

2. Peak contraction.

It is very possible to develop an im-proportionate chest. You hear it all the time, inner chest this inner chest that. Well to put it bluntly...you have a 'inner chest' mass....you just are not engaging to muscles. In order to do that you must focus on squeezing them at the top of an exercise. Try this take a ball place it between your hands in front of you and try squeezing it together as hard as you can fo 10 seconds. That is focusing on your peak contracting. The main function of your chest was designed to bring your arm backward to a front position. If you are tall and benching, you are most likely pushing that bar in a straight line, and the only way for us tall people to engage those pecs is to have a wide wide grip and that can be disastrous to our shoulder...so next up is what exercise to do.

3. The CRITICAL exercises to getting that king kong chest.

Many may disagree with me, and you have your opinions. But I these worked for me cause everyone is different, and for taller people...if you wish to take that chest to the next level your gonna have to go above and beyond. If you wish to stay your size...keep doind what you are doing. Here are the critical exercises for achieving that massive chest you always wanted: HEAVY DUMBBELL FLYS in the 8-10 rep range (for pec thickness), DUMBBELL INCLINE AND FLAT PRESSES 6-8 reps (for mass/heavier weights), PEC DECK MACHINE 10-12 reps (for maximal peak contraction), DIPS 3 sets to failure (for maximal stretch and GH release).

4. Proper form.

Now I gave you the exercises, but you can still mess everything up by having bad form. Here are the tips from my own training experiencing in making the chest have maximal tension and contractions/as well as properly performing each exercise to reap the full benefits.

HEAVY DUMBBELL FLY: The reason this will be your main exercise is because all the tension is stressed on the chest. The key to proper form is this exercise is squeezing the dumbbells together at the top. Remember when going this heavy on a fly...DO NOT go past 180 degrees. This is not going to be used as a stretching exercise. Worry about bringing to weights to the sides under control, bringing them up slowly, squeezing the weights together at the top as if you were smooshing something together with both your hands.

DUMBELL INCLINE/FLAT PRESSES: the main thing I see people messing up when doing presses with dumbbells is that they use their arms to press the weight. In order to activate the pecs, you MUST arch the weights to the sides. Almost like a fly...but not nearly as wide. Pressing straight up will use way to musch shoulder and triceps effort and thus not letting you use those beautiful pecs. Also, focus on squeezing at the top. With the presses, you will be able to use more weight and thus gain more mass.

PEC DEC MACHINE: For me, this machine was a gift from god. While this machine is not used for building mass...this is your chance to start really activating those pecs to the max. In order to performs a pec dec machine fly to its full capability, you MUST hold at the top for 3 secs. After a set, I guarantee you will feel those tiny stabilizer muscles in your chest burning, and this is what will give your chest a litt more full look and when you flex you will be able to see striations. Akso don't forget to keep the eccentric and concentric part of the exercise under control.

DIPS: The reason I added dips into the mix is to get a really good stretch on the chest. Like the great Austrian Oak said himself...stretching it vital to growth. When you stretch your fascia, you allow that muscle to grow even bigger. Use this exercise to get that good stretch. Dips are also good for growth hormone release due to the high reps many people can dish out. Just remember to lean forward, keep your elbows tucked, and go down till your arms are parallel to the ground.

AND THAT IS IT!

Why dumbbells for most exercises?

Dumbbells allow you to recruit those tiny stabilizer mucles, allow for a more controlled range of motion, and you don't require a spotter.

Evidence that a program like this works:

the video I am about to post is of a guy that helped me gain mass on my chest. Basically me and him had the same exact problem (and many of you have the same problem we had). Small chest, but still strong.

Enter the following into the last part of youtube url

watch?v=xJUD738mf_g

(Sorry I can't post cause I have no previous posts )

Skip to 2:30, and you will see his im-proportionate chest development, and then wait till he reveals the after photos from doing a routine like the one I have shared with you.

So in conclusion to anyone who says there is no inner chest, upper chest, outer chest, lower chest...agree BUT...if you don't properly work out the chest through a full ranch of motion, you will not activate all those muscles on the inner and upper parts of the chest. So I would have to disagree and say YES....there is an inner 'part' chest, and upper 'part' chest. Different exercises different angles of the chest. For example incline presses due infact put more stress on the upper part of the pecs. Decline puts more stress on the lower part of the pectorals, and exercises that allow you to deep stretch, will grow width, and maximal peak contractions fully engage the small fibers on the inner part of the chest.

owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) owlxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i like, and from my experience, i agree.
    Liberty or Death.

DanteDago has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article!

GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50) GI.Zack will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Great article! I'm def a hardgainer and look forward to utilizing some of the ideas in here in my workout. Wish me luck

I gives it straight Sinergy2010's Avatar
    Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sinergy2010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not bad info, Trainer talked about this last year and read alot of articles for this in Mens health. Apparently Dumb bells are the superious muscle building tools for chest development tag teamed with push ups and great form. I do like how you mention form and controling your flys with pauses.

Good job.

Few typos.. Not that I am one to talk.

Registered User untouchable1982's Avatar
    untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) untouchable1982 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice article. I'm going to incorporate these exercises in my routine.

Starting Weight: 136 lbs Panabol's Avatar
    Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Panabol is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Definitely agree with the fly/dips/etc stuff, I feel that engage a lot more than a bench does

4ndy123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4ndy123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great article!

beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beefcakebojan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 4ndy123 View Post
    great article!
    lol what a coincidence! i go on the first thread and see your comment haha

fytech has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm adding this to my routine. Doing chest 2 times a week.

Heavy dumbell flyes and dips on Monday
    Incline bench and pec dec machine on Thursday

Thanks dude for a very good article

creativelyric has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cool article, man.

grapevine has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Good stuff sir.

Got any tips for building a strong back?

Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Troobs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for this, great read!

Going to bookmark this.
    "It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Beast Skills Accomplished:
    Free-standing handstand press-up,
    One arm press-up.

Beast Skills Targets:
    Handstand press-up with clap,
    One arm pull up,
    The Flag,

ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisMNilson has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Troobs View Post

Going to bookmark this.
    I see you have no decline dumbbell fly on your sheet and i personally would swap out the pec deck for cable flies. You don't need to pec deck if your gonna be doing dumbbell flies already.

KismetAtwater has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

so good

I think the backcolor is so dark , made me feel uncomfortable.I think you can improve it ,then there will be more visitor!
    I like games!
    <a href="http://www.eveiskstock.com/
    "> eve isk</a>

pvilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome input! check out my article on fitzness.com. Here's the direct link: http://www.fitzness.com/blog/?p=5202

There are a lot of cool articles at Fitzness.com!

Bluedam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I really like this article. I agree about the fly's. Very underused for chest development by me initially. Once I began to incorporate them into my program I could see an immediate improvement.
    You dont win silver, you lose gold!

sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sychopaf has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DanteDago View Post
    Great article!
    Yep. Thanks.

THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50) THEREALNGAGE will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree with everything very well said, from my exp dumbell press do for my chest the regular bench and weighted dips as well. Proper for and nutrition are the most important imo. Very much respect for an informative article

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/THEREALNGAGE/

snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10) snordi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    very good article ! thanks alot

Funkagenda has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you! I have no problem putting mass on my arms, but my chest is a whole nother issue. Awesome!

fivefingersv has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    fighting!

rasit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome article, thank you!

ErMyloh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great article I totally agree...

chenshan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Going to bookmark this.

robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10) robVVV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks, will consider this next time i train and bookmark the page!

firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10) firemon232 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    great read!

Blossom123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that's what I want to know
    [url=http://www.iorgsoft.com/Video-Converter-for-Mac/]video converter for mac[/url]
    [url=http://www.iorgsoft.com/Video-Editor-for-Mac/]video editing software for mac[/url]
    [url=http://www.importavitoimovie.com/mp4-to-imovie/]mp4 to imovie[/url]

TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TFFHQ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great article man

TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheLK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great article OP. Will try out for myself since I pretty much have uneven pecs. Thanks!
    #NoDaysOff