Five0gt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My fight with TYPE ONE Diabetes.

My journey through diabetes and how I bounced back.

I was diagnosed with type one diabetes in 2010. My Health had deteriorated, along with most of my muscle and fat. I lost weight down into the 120's, had sugar in my urine, was thirsty all of the time and felt so sick. I finally caught up the nerve to speak with my family physician. Told him what was wrong, and of course the first thing asked, "are you a diabetic?". At the time, my answer was no, I knew nothing about diabetes. I just knew I was sick and miserable. However I gave a urine sample, they did a few test. They pricked my finger and used one of the one-touch ultra machines. My blood sugar was sky high. The machine could not read it, all it said was HI. Meaning my sugar was well over 600. In fact my sugar levels in the urine sample hit in the 800's. I was told, you're not producing insulin at all. My body just stopped, the Dr's only explanation was that I could have contracted a virus that caused my pancreas to stop producing insulin. Just a few months before this, I had strep throat really bad. That is my only assumption, still no valid proof as to what actually caused this. I was healthy, played sports and kept in shape up until then. However I felt like it was the end of the world. I acted as if it ruined my life. Cutting to the chase, January, 2014. My weight, roughly 127. I looked like a walking death bag. I was sick of being down, tired of looking like a walking disease. So I turned to weight lifting and exercise. I had experience from being highly active before I got sick. Although, I knew when I stepped in the gym I needed a good trainer. So I got help to start me off, they told me about Bodybuilding.com and strong lifts. I basically started out with 5x5 training. I stuck with compound lifts for the first ten weeks. I could not lift more than the bar at first, and I did feel down. I had a few friends tell me not to give up. That eventually I will get better. That was true, I did get better. I got stronger, and I mean a lot stronger and I am going to tell you how I did it!

I had to figure out a way to keep my sugar in check. I needed to gain weight and I had to do it right. Of course gaining weight means eat more. How can I do this I asked? Time to Google, research Bodybuilding.com and ask a lot of questions. I read up on Jim Stoppani's nutrition articles on some of his programs. Had to learn calories and what foods would work for me. I eat five meals a day and with eat meal I check my sugar. Depending on what the meter says, I take 2-4 CC's of insulin before each meal. Also in the morning I take a 24 hour long acting shot of about 30 CC's. My current calories is around 2050: 180g Protein, 160g Carbohydrates and 80g of fat. I have gained around 35 to 40 pounds since January, 2014. The current date is July, 18, 2014. I now weigh about 164, and it feels GREAT! My blood sugar stays around 120's to 150's. I do not take a lot of supplements because some of it sends my sugar through the roof.

My current intake is 4 scoops of Up Your Mass, Mass Gainer by MHP. I get about 500 Calories from this. What I do is mix 24 oz of water and four scoops which is one whole serving.
    I also take two Glucosamine Sulfate joint health pills a day.
    I tried taking pre-workout by C4 and Vortex. Both made my sugar rise and made me sick. I don't really need them anyway, I do good without them.

The best advice I could give, is drop the sodas and drink mainly water, sometimes milk to get the extra calories. Water helps lower blood sugar levels and keeps you hydrated. Being a diabetic, you can get dehydrated quicker than someone without diabetes.

When training, one of the most important keys to remember. Watch your kidneys, you do not want to lift if you have any sign of KETONES in your urine. I have these Reli-on strips to check mine before going to the gym. If you lift heavy weights with any sign of ketoacidosis. Here is a little more information on Ketoacidosis.

"Ketoacidosis is a metabolic state associated with high concentrations of ketone bodies, formed by the breakdown of fatty acids and the deamination of amino acids. The two common ketones produced in humans are acetoacetic acid and β-hydroxybutyrate.

Ketoacidosis is a pathological metabolic state marked by extreme and uncontrolled ketosis. In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal.[1]

Ketoacidosis is most common in untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus, when the liver breaks down fat and proteins in response to a perceived need for respiratory substrate. Prolonged alcoholism may lead to alcoholic ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis can be smelled on a person's breath. This is due to acetone, a direct byproduct of the spontaneous decomposition of acetoacetic acid. It is often described as smelling like fruit or nail polish remover.[2] Ketosis may also smell, but the odor is usually more subtle due to lower concentrations of acetone."

The best way to prevent Ketoacidosis you ask? Drink alot of water and take your shots properly. How do I get rid of my ketones? Drink water and take your shots! Should I work out with high blood sugar? No, I would make sure your levels are around 140. If you work out with high blood sugar, your ketone levels can go up and cause problems during your exercise. Take your shots to the gym, carry some glucose tablets as well. Always keep a meter with you at all times. Working out can lower, and rarely but it happens, raise your sugar a bit.

The best routine that has worked for me.

Monday: Upper Body superset.

Flat Bench Press - Medium Grip. 4 Sets, 60 Reps Bar only. 12 at 95 Pounds. 10 at 115 Pounds. 8 reps at 135 pounds.
    Pull-ups holding a dumbbell with feet. 4 sets. First set no weight 19 reps. Was aiming for 20. the other 3 sets, I used a 10 pound dumbbell. I aim for 15 reps or failure.
    Standing Military Press. 4 Sets. 20 reps with the bar only. 12-15 reps adding 5-10 pounds on each side. Depending on how well my day is going. I usually can get 12 reps at 85 pounds.
    Leg Raises holding a dumbbell with feet. I do 4 sets using a 10-15 pound dumbbell.
    After my workout, I practice flag pole movements.

Tuesday: Lower Body Supersets.

Squats. 4 sets of 10 reps each set. Starting weight 135. Set 2 155. Set 3 175. set 3 185-200 depending on how I feel.
    Deadlifts. 4 sets of 5 reps. Starting set and set 2 135. Set 3 185. set 4 195-210.
    Walking Lunges 4 sets, I use 45 pound dumbbells 10 reps each leg.
    Lying Hamstring Curls with dumbbell. 4 sets with 40 pound dumbbell and spotter. Use a machine if you don't have a spotter.

Wednesday: HIIT

Thursday: Repeat Monday.

Friday: Repeat Tuesday.

Rest on Saturday and Sunday.

Okay everyone. I hope you enjoy reading this. I am wore out from all this typing! I will be sure to edit this and add to it from time to time. If anything I said is unclear. Please let me know kindly!

SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoMuchBetter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know how you feel man. I got diagnosed with type one diabetes too, a few years ago. Fell around 120 lbs too but I bounced back and I'm around 155 now.

I try to keep my sugar around 120 when I start working out, and when I'm done I like to be around 70/80 because it means my work out was intense and it makes me feel good about it. It's important to manage it well and be careful with it. How many times a day do you inject insulin?

Anyway, keep up with the good work man.

I usually stay around 100's otherwise I'll get sick for some reason. I take 5 fast acting shots called Novalog. I average about 15-20 CC's daily with that. I also take a 6th shot in the morning which is long acting, called Lantis. I inject about 30 CC's a day with that. I take a Novalog shot right before each meal.

Thank you for the support! Keep up the good work as well. Looks like we have the same goals and motivation!

NRobert89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lantus*

I was also dxed 1 year ago and since then my life changed completely . Also started working out about 3 weeks ago and it's the best thing what happened lately. I usually do around 10 min of cardio before every workout to drop my BG a bit because for me, lifting weights seems to raise my BG, usually i end somewhere in the ~120.

Sorry if this question sounds a bit rude/personal, but i was wondering...how bad is to inject insulin as someone with low body fat? i still have some fat on my belly and its fine for me but i'm torn to drop some BF but i'm scared that injecting insulin will be more a pain in the ass as it is now.

Actually I can't inject in my stomach. I have to inject in my thigh.

More like CaptainRehab CaptainProtein's Avatar
    CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50) CaptainProtein will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm sorry to hear about it, I actually have a friend with type one and he says he thinks of it as a blessing in disguise because it taught him all about watching what and how much he eats while also being very active.
    Skinny because of muscle tear crew

Shoulder labrum repair performed 7/7/2015

It helps with discipline for sure.

CaraG73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am sorry to hear about your struggle with type I diabetes. My friend just got diagnosed with type II diabetes. I feel for you and my friend.

Thank you for your support!

Location: Manchester, Lancashire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    CJFlexer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My friend ans cousin both have type 2..... And man does it suck

NRobert89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it sucks especially if you don't want to understand the disease and make the necessary changes. Of course...the most thing i hate about diabetes is that i lost all my spontaneity, i just can't say i go and do "x" now without to take in account the numbers and everything but hey...i always think that it could have been worse. It's hard but what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right!?

Originally Posted by NRobert89 View Post
    I think it sucks especially if you don't want to understand the disease and make the necessary changes. Of course...the most thing i hate about diabetes is that i lost all my spontaneity, i just can't say i go and do "x" now without to take in account the numbers and everything but hey...i always think that it could have been worse. It's hard but what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right!?

Amen BROTHER! I'm living fit because of it!

TheSpyder360.com JonathanCSmith's Avatar
    JonathanCSmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great write up! I found it to be very informative and clearly outlined an approach for those with Type One Diabetes. Each person is unique of course, but you have definitely set up a blue print.
    It also informed me about the challenges faced by those with Type One Diabetes, Thanks for making me aware of the lengths you have to go to to manage your weight gain and the information about Ketoacidosis.
    I appreciate the effort you put into this post.
    Jonathan Smith
    Inventor of The Spyder 360™

Office - 800.780.1578
    Skype - TheSpyder360
    Web - www.TheSpyder360.com
    Jonathan.Smith@TheSpyder360.com
    Instagram | ******** | Twitter | Pinterest | LinkedIn

Thank you Jonathan!

umichgrad07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) umichgrad07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) umichgrad07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) umichgrad07 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hope you get better soon. It's always a better feeling to share your story, right?

Not sure how I could get "better". There isn't a cure released.

DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50) DiaBuilder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Best of luck, man. I've been type-1 for 20 years (diagnosed when I was 2) and I'm 12 weeks out of my first bodybuilding competition. Glad to see that you're using fitness as a way to manage the betes. I don't like to think of diabetes as a disease but as an advantage. It means we have to be constantly aware of what we are consuming, how our bodies are reacting to different foods, and how we are performing in and out of the gym.

I wear an insulin pump and a CGM (constant glucose monitor). Before a workout if my bg is >120 I will take a unit of novolog, as lifting can increase my blood sugar. If I'm <90 I take 15-20g carbs. Has worked well for me thus far. You should join the ******** group Type-1 Diabetic Athletes for support and other ideas, or PM me. Best of luck!

I'm thinking of making an article on nutrition for Type 1 diabetics.