Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    bblazev14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally Posted by mc- View Post
    THis post started life as a reply to someone having "horrible back pain"
    i've seen three of these in one day, so thought perhaps a general thread may help.

The point of this post is to offer an alternative perspective about back pain that says it mayn't be about the back; it may be about pain processes in the brain. and if we work with a model of pain, and of movement, even chronic stuff can unwind.

This post is motivated by the fact that
    A lot of folks ask about low back pain issues, and what can be done. Many folks recommend chiros, PT's massage, exercise. All these things can bring benefit. In my experience though, if that back pain has been going on for months/years we're talking chronic, and manually therapy has a much harder time addressing this.

The following offers some other ideas for dealing with low back pain - both at an early and definitely at an ongoing stage.

The focus is really on models of pain as opposed to particular back issues.

context
    First of all some context:
    me, like most folks with low back stuff - compressed l4/l5, long history of chronic back stuff.

mc
    lower back pain is a PAIN

OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) OneSwoleBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great post, mc! I've found a great way to deal with my back pain is to use H-wave Electrical Stimulation, anyone else use this method? I love it!

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by OneSwoleBro View Post
    Great post, mc! I've found a great way to deal with my back pain is to use H-wave Electrical Stimulation, anyone else use this method? I love it!
    thank you for your kind words,
    and glad you've found a start to dealing with pain

as best i understand h-wave,
    it's a passive treatment - and will likely be nice like all passive treatments: feels good while you're doing it, and for about 20-40 minutes post treatment. It can certainly help with rehab, tho there's no deep explanation on the site about how their approach is distinct from EMS of any other kind; they just claim it is.

Such treatments if they can help bring pain down to a point where you can start doing active work - so you don't need chronic heat stimulation - is likely a better place to be, tho, no? Active and able vs chronic passive care is at least my goal for myself and the athletes with whom i work.

a bit more on active vs passive:
    http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/04/ben...y-passive.html

best in your process.

mc

bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10) bullydully is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good luck.

kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50) kewd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I doubt many here have this issue but I've had kidney stones and they sometimes manifest as the worst back-pain imaginable.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kewd View Post
    I doubt many here have this issue but I've had kidney stones and they sometimes manifest as the worst back-pain imaginable.
    excellent point

i was working with a client for a very long session - going through what he presented as his whole history - couldn't get any relief in his pain - consulted widly - a week later he came back and said "oh and i have kidney stones..."

after we got info about these clear from his doc, we started doing some dietary interventions combined with movement.

This is why it's so hard to give advice on a forum - these kind of details can make a world of difference in approach.

thanks for this

mc

Zazen3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great information! Thank you!

troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) troypesola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Lower back pain is ... just a pain. I know, I know, nothing new.

Still I'm surprised how easily doing the wrong-things can cause problems. I've been using kettlebells and the kettlebell swing has done wonders. I've also been staying away from crunches, replacing them with planks, roll-outs (on rings), hanging leg raises, and turkish getups. All good.

Then I wanted to try out the INSANITY workouts. Fun, right!? It was except for Cardio Abs. The workout does a lot of C-Sit style exercises. I should have known better. How's the saying go, "Because of a poor mind, the whole body suffers"? After a few days my lower back was PAINFUL.

The doc took xrays and concluded I had a very mild case of spondylolisthesis (slipped disk). Was it there before and just aggravated by the C-Sits? Perhaps. either way. I'm with you guys and feeling the pain. Cautiously finding ways to strengthen and do mobility work.

mrangry1973 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

back injury

i trained since i was 23 years ol i was about 32 when i woke one morning with no feeling in my legs i was rushed to a&e were i got mri scan i was 15 stone in great shape it turned out id blown a disc in my back and had a condition called cauda equina syndrome the worse pain ive ever felt in my life i have manage now at 38 and really wiah to train again ive been advised by certain people tp take testorone enanthanate to build muscles in my lower back to support my spine ive been told its regular for powerlifters to use this for similar problem i dont think i could live without some sort of training has anyone any advice i know the doctor says no way but ive heard of people with worse accomplish morse i just want a bit of the old me back please help if you can dave...

drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100) drstilldc is not very well liked. (-100)
    As a chiropractor I am always carefull with my back. If you ever feel pain after a workout i'd suggest seeing a doctor.

LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiveRipped is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey thanks. my lowerback has been real sore from DL thanks for the info.
    --------------March 23th-----------------Goal--------Deadline
    Weight--------168lb---------------------172lb-------April 1st
    Biceps---------14.5in----------------------15in------July
    Chest 1RM----225lb---------------------250lb------April 17th
    Squat 1RM----285lb---------------------300lb------April 17th
    DeadLift 1RM-300lb---------------------325lb------April 17th

I will review almost any supplement. Just PM me.
    I rep back!!

rzenith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    that was an productive article.....even stretching exercises makes get rid of back pain.......try out!!

ReneeIngram has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Very informative post on back pain. I have lower back pain and i am really tired of it. I hope your ides will help me.

Originally Posted by ReneeIngram View Post
    Very informative post on back pain. I have lower back pain and i am really tired of it. I hope your ides will help me.
    Renee,
    developing a movement practice is one of the best things a person can do.
    To optimize that process, seeing a coach who really knows how to tweak that practice is really really worthwhile.
    Here's a bit on what a movement assessment is about http://www.begin2dig.com/2010/11/wha...for-petes.html

If you need help locating a coach, please PM me, and let me know where you live, and if i know someone in the area i'll recommend them.

m.c.
    the site of pain is not the source of pain

rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rippx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for this post..really helpful

JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinHagadorn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you!

Ripped come rain or shine Reecebrah's Avatar
    Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000) Reecebrah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very informative post, I've been struggling with lower back pain (as far as I can tell it's around my L4, L5), no shooting pains in legs or anything however the physio and another guy who I've been to seem to think it's a slipped disc. It's agony when I sneeze, hurts to hyper extend and my mobility is pathetic. Initially injured it deadlifting about 5 months ago and it's barely any better.

Originally Posted by HALON View Post
    GREAT POST REPS

I once use to have chronic back pain and strain for years. I got after hyper extending my back.

I went to physios, doctors.

No once could help me.

The whole issue was caused that I had really tight hamstrings and whenever I bent forward to pick something I would round my back. This would always end up straining my back. I had no use of my hamstrings when lifting something of the ground.

Sometimes it can be a simple problem such basic body mechanics which causes back problems for some people.

Funny the doctors or physio with all their knowledge could not see this.
    Physio said I have some of the tightest hammies he's ever seen. ^ I know this post is from 2009, but has anybody experienced anything similiar with hammies leading to back pain? And has increasing hammy flexibility solved any back problems?
    I'm unaware of any misc meme's from 2014+

☆☆☆υк �яєω☆☆☆ Moved to Sweden crew.
    ** KNEE DRAGGERS UNITE **

injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) injurybrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had bulging L4/L5 + L5/S1 disks - i have to manage this the rest of my life. I've used Physios and deep massage (sports massage) to help control flare ups, but I strongly suggest getting into Pilates (particularly clinical) and also swimming (freestyle only) to help improve lower back strength and improve your life.

Originally Posted by Reecebrah View Post
    Very informative post, I've been struggling with lower back pain (as far as I can tell it's around my L4, L5), no shooting pains in legs or anything however the physio and another guy who I've been to seem to think it's a slipped disc. It's agony when I sneeze, hurts to hyper extend and my mobility is pathetic. Initially injured it deadlifting about 5 months ago and it's barely any better.

Physio said I have some of the tightest hammies he's ever seen. ^ I know this post is from 2009, but has anybody experienced anything similiar with hammies leading to back pain? And has increasing hammy flexibility solved any back problems?
    Hammys are so often interrelated with back issues. If your hammys are so super tight, I'd suggest you work on stretching them a lot, every day. If this doesn't improve it then the tightness is likely to be caused by a back injury. Again - Pilates greatly increases flexibility and reduces tightness.

abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100) abnormal11 is not very well liked. (-100)
    A doctor told me this a long time ago. If it hurts dont do it. I dont mean like good pain in the gym but real pain bad pain.

DollaBillz2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have the same issue (22 years old) however I refuse to let this get to me. On top of the bulging disks they recently found that i have Schuremans Kyphosis Curveture of the spine Normal Curveture is 45 Degrees however mine is at 65 (72 in order to have surgery). The doctors suggested physical thereapy while i was in the Military after 1 month of physical thereapy they told me i was fine and sent me on my way. I don't want to let this control my life have you found any exercises that will help with the pain? I take pain pills but i only take them when it is sever Pain. I work in a Foreign country and do not have a pool at my disposal so i deal with the pain and work through it. I have recently moved up from being able to walk up only 1 flight of stairs before stopping to 3 flights of stairs.

aobduser has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great post.It's so useful for me.I will ask for help in future if needed.thanks allobd2.com

ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ab1992 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    great post
    [[Best Lifts at 193lbs - Dec 2013]]
    Squat - 385lbs x 3
    OHP - 200lbs x 3
    Bench - 300lbs x 1
    Deadlift - 425lbs x 5

[[Best Lifts at 171lbs - May 2014]]
    Squat - 345lbs x 5
    OHP - 190lbs x 3
    Bench - 280lbs x 1
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 4

5/3/1 Workout Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156309573

ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThatGalZoey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sometimes the issue with back pain is nutrition and having the right diet. May be your uric acid is high or may be you are low in calcium. These could be a few of the reasons that one might consider and the advice of a physician will definitely help in this problem.
    -=*That Gal Zoey*=-

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Reecebrah View Post

Yup. My hams didn't cause my back pain, but they prolonged it. I kept stretching my back, trying to sort it out - and not a lot of progress. As soon as I added leg stretches to the mix, I noticed a marked improvement.

john201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) john201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, just a quick question here... I'm new to weight lifting and, in the first times, I always feel pain in my lower back in two or three reps of a set in Stiff or RDL.

But today it's seems that I finally got it... I make the 3 sets without a single pain in my lower back, is this a good signal? Obvious it's not possible to tell from that if I'm doing the form 100%, but it's a sign that my lower back is correct in the exercise, right?
    Last edited by john201; 09-19-2012 at 06:15 PM.

jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jakekelley has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I have had some back issues as of the last five month, the only real help for me is rest on the lifts that putt stress on the lower back but what is better Heat or ice?

Originally Posted by jakekelley View Post
    I have had some back issues as of the last five month, the only real help for me is rest on the lifts that putt stress on the lower back but what is better Heat or ice?
    if you read this thread you'll see neither of those approaches is one of the several recommended approaches for dealing with long term back issues.

best
    mc

junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) junek090 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Wink

Originally Posted by watertoy View Post
    Search my posts.

In your daily activities. Try to schedule more walking, standing, kneeling, sitting on kneeling chairs and keeping your head back and spine neutral.

Try to spend more time lieing in bed. Google what is the correct bed posture.

Gently flex your buttocks at times.

If you have a normal chair try to drop your knees below hips and keep them there. Whether you need to anchor your shins against the chair legs or have your feet at an angle on the balls of the feet.
    Excellent guideline and instruction.Thanks

mikejamesjhm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Back pain

Before going for any further medications just go for an MRI. As you have mentioned you have tried everything and no result. I am just suggesting you go for some herbal medications, i think it will help.

Tat2Powah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I first injured my back in 2005 from a High Speed Motorcycle accident.Compressed 5 Discs & Fractured 3 Vertebrae,amongst other impact injuries.I have since had episodes of Back pain from Lifting & working in Tight spaces.Right now I,m recovering again from reinjuring my back 2 days ago.I can go for a whole year with no problems then all of a sudden Bam,It hits back again.I train 5-6 days a week when not injured & eat extremely healthily.Sometimes it can come from the smallest of movements.Most of the time as long as I follow correct lifting techniques I don,t have a problem.Swimming has always been an awesome recovery tool.I train with back excercises twice a week yet still all the strengthening of my back muscles has not prevented repeat injury & strain.A chiropractor once told me that I,ll have this for the rest of my life,so I should embrace it & make it my own.Personally I,m quite frustrated by it.Every time I,m starting to make real progress in the Gym My Back goes,then its all up hill again.So now its back to the bottom of that hill again & away we go again.