lsimpson515 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need basic tips.

i just got to my duty station in Korea and i think working out is a good way to keep busy and out of trouble while i'm over here for a year. i always wanted to get big, but i was always needed in a lower weight class for wrestling in high school and the past couple years i just haven't gotten back into liftin. i've made the decision that nothing will stop me this time and i've been working like a horse in the gym all week. although i don't think i'm interested in competing, i'll train like it. i have heart and i work HARD. it wasn't uncommon for me to go til i puked at wrestling and jiu-jitsu practice. i can handle any workout regimen. i'm 5'9, 160 and pretty naturally lean. I'm not totally new to weightlifting, just rusty. i am new to the diet and lifting it takes to PUT ON weight. i really wanna pack on some muscle this year, and stay fairly lean doing it, but i have a few questions to get started.

First off, i wanna be well-rounded and look good, not just be big. there are a few muscle groups that i've always had trouble getting to. i feel like i never get sore when i exercise my triceps and lats in particular. i feel like that means i'm not working them well enough. i also wanna keep my abs cut while i'm bulkin up, but i ****in hate ab work lol. so what are the best workouts for me in those areas, keeping in mind what i'm trying to do?

I wanna stay balanced all-around and i can go to the gym every day, though idk whether i should take a day off here and there. so what's the best rotation of workouts for different muscle groups? for example, i always hear people saying chest and tri's, back and bi's, etc. at the times i got really into it, i always just walked in there and worked whatever wasn't already sore.

Diet. do i just eat like a damn gorilla or what? i've heard 1 lb. of protein per lb. of body weight every day, idk. all i've ever trained to do is cut weight. i'm not a picky eater and i eat like a bear, i just have a really fast metabolism. Also what are the best protein and pre-workout supplements? Right now i'm using GNC whey protein and assault pre-workout.

Lastly, what's the best way to do this? do i just put on all the weight i can and worry about toning later or try to stay balanced the whole way through?

Sorry this is so long. just have a lot of questions. i really appreciate any info you can give me.

TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TTimmerman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    this thread will probably get moved to the correct section...

but first i'd like to add this... why is the nr1 supplement for beginners preworkout? ok you've added the protein already but i know so much noobs who know nothing about diet/training/supplements and go straight for the preworkouts, know more about that stuff than i ever will... "dem pumps are insane"

Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lsimpson515 View Post
    ...i eat like a bear...

...worry about toning...?
    1. No, clearly you don't. When you can get to 4-5k clean cals then you can claim to eat like a bear. And you'd put on enough weight by then to see that that's probably how much it will take.

2. Don't speak about toning unless you want to get slapped.
    People these days have more reps than brain cells

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Groggery View Post
    1. No, clearly you don't. When you can get to 4-5k clean cals then you can claim to eat like a bear. And you'd put on enough weight by then to see that that's probably how much it will take.

2. Don't speak about toning unless you want to get slapped.
    we don't mention the "t" word around here
    Instagram: thomas_poucher

yes i've tried doing incline first

reps on recharge.. demonwareltd, flang, TTimmerman, wala, Canuck77

RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoroCwalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    N.1 preworkout is mental preparation.

ok sorry for using the T word? didn't know. i just made this profile yesterday. and i didn't know where to post this. now if anyone actually wants to give me some pointers rather than just talk **** i'd really appreciate it. i'm not here to argue, just askin for help. thanks.

Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Groggery is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Eat more. There, cancer cured.
    People these days have more reps than brain cells

tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tumtum is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lsimpson515 View Post
    ok sorry for using the T word? didn't know. i just made this profile yesterday. and i didn't know where to post this. now if anyone actually wants to give me some pointers rather than just talk **** i'd really appreciate it. i'm not here to argue, just askin for help. thanks.
    just givin ya a hard time bud... i'll come back and chime in as soon as i get back from my workout

DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DavisForman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Eat More, Lift Hard, Sleep Well, Repeat
    Bench: 215x12 (17/12/2011) PR since torn RC

"Being the best in your circle is not enough; you have to think bigger to become a champion. Don’t think like a small fish in a big pond or else when you get to the ocean you’ll be eaten alive." - Fouad Abiad

"Proper preparation prevents poor performance," - Kai Greene

you dont want to eat like a gorilla.. that will do nothing but get you fat.. and just because your waist doesn't grow doesn't mean you aren't getting fat..

if you have any type of history lifting weights (more than 2 or 3 years) then the whole "put on 1lbs a week" crap is out the window.. you should look for 1-2 lbs/month.. only if you are very new to lifting can you expect any more..

the weight routine isn't as big as you think.. you can only build so much muscle so quickly.. you cannot bully your body in the gym into growing any faster (than 1-2/month) and you cannot force your body to grow any faster with too much food as well...

the hard part with building a great physique.. by far... is not the gym.. it's not even the eating.. it's being patient and waiting.

everyone wants to put on 10lbs of muscle for next years swimsuit season.. but that 10lbs is a years worth of muscle.. it simply will not happen.. the sooner you can accept this simple fact the better off you'll be.. (of course if you plan on getting on the sauce all this goes out the window)

make sure you eat quality foods.. you should never be force feeding in attempt to move the scale.. get quality workouts.. and MAKE SURE you get plenty of sleep.. that's when you grow.

dont waste your money with fancy supplements promising pumps and nutrient delivery and all that crap. the only thing that will grow is your debt and dependence.. Pretty much if it claims anything that doesn't align with what i've said.. it's garbage and you should save your money for chicken and rice.

and to explain the t word haha.. toning simply doesn't exist. it's a word that advertisers have used into making their "programs" more promising. The only way to see more muscle "tone" is to drop body fat, increase muscle, or a combination of both.... no program will "tone" you.. only your diet will do that..

and this is why the "t" word isn't allowed

thanks a lot man! that all makes a lot of sense. so you recommend no supplements at all? are there any that would have more of the nutrients muscles need to recover than i could get otherwise? and lastly i see a lot of lifting programs on here for building mass. is there a specific one you'd recommend?