Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by PlasticTrees View Post
    no feuding brahs haha.

i've realized today that theory isnt that important anyways for what i want to do but i'm still going to try and learn some anyways. mainly focusing on chords at the moment.
    i would learn it if i were you. i though the same thing and it now holds me back tremendously. you will hit a wall. i regret not learning more when i was younger. i was never that dedicated or practiced much...i just had natural skill. so when my natural abilities wore thin...i was pretty much done.

PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ryanlusch View Post
    i would learn it if i were you. i though the same thing and it now holds me back tremendously. you will hit a wall. i regret not learning more when i was younger. i was never that dedicated or practiced much...i just had natural skill. so when my natural abilities wore thin...i was pretty much done.
    well I plan on learning a little bit still, but it'll be more of like a secondary focus.. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself haha, I really have no idea how far I plan on going with this guitar thing. like right now i'd be happy just being able to play most folk/rock/alternative songs but I might want to do more then that later so i'm jsut going to try and keep my options open.

FlashbaxFlashbaxFlashbax Flashbax's Avatar
    Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Flashbax is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    dude...im not saying im some theory buff. im not. i dont know music theory well at all. but i just told that guy what i was taught. aa#bcc#dd#eff#gg#.....thats 12 steps. im not real familiar with the circle of fifths and all that ****,
    You have to know these things if you're going to get into arguments about playing guitar.

but im aware diff keys have diff numbers of sharps and flats.
    I chuckled.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    who the fucck is willith? some guitar brah who can "put me in my place" because you cant?
    he would, yeah, but that's not what I meant. I've only seen a grainy 2 minute video of him so I don't really know how good he is. what I meant was he would call you out on spreading misinformation

EDIT: if you want to know who he is check out the guitar megathread, some very funny posts by him in there

no feuding brahs haha.

i've realized today that theory isnt that important anyways for what i want to do but i'm still going to try and learn some anyways. mainly focusing on chords at the moment.
    based on what I've seen of your tastes (neutral milk hotel), you only need to know open chords and E and A shape barre chords to play that kind of music. still, you should learn theory (I learned a bit BEFORE I played guitar (I played saxophone for 4 years before playing guitar) so I already had some knowledge going in, that probably made it easier)
    Last edited by An hero; 11-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.

OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OnTheReg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Flashbax View Post
    You have to know these things if you're going to get into arguments about playing guitar.

I chuckled.
    Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    he would, yeah, but that's not what I meant. I've only seen a grainy 2 minute video of him so I don't really know how good he is. what I meant was he would call you out on spreading misinformation
    well then please, disregard anything i've said about music theory. i admittedly dont know much about it at all. i just though i could help a noob. thats exactly what i was taught when i started. i still have the paper my guitar instructor made me that says aa#bcc#dd#eff#gg#.

btw - im not "getting in arguments about playing guitar". i tried to give this dude some info (which obviously was wrong)...thats not an argument...all arguing is being done by ya'all.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    no, you definitely started arguing when you tried claiming you were better at guitar than me (which may or may not be true)

no, you definitely started arguing when you tried claiming you were better at guitar than me (which may or may not be true)
    either way, i can play the guitar like muthafucckin riot...can you?
    no i definitely didnt fucck face. that is not claiming im a better guitar player than you. explain your reasoning, im confused.

for someone who isn't arguing, you're getting pretty mad

PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PlasticTrees has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

based on what I've seen of your tastes (neutral milk hotel), you only need to know open chords and E and A shape barre chords to play that kind of music. still, you should learn theory (I learned a bit BEFORE I played guitar (I played saxophone for 4 years before playing guitar) so I already had some knowledge going in, that probably made it easier)
    Yeah I looked at some neutral milk hotel stuff and it didn't look that difficult (well I can't play it yet haha). I was looking at some Elliott Smith stuff too and I had no idea how to read most of the tabs, so i'd like to get up to atleast being able to play his stuff, no idea if it is hard or not... but some of it looks pretty hard (like Memory Lane).

I have some basic theory knowledge from when I played clarinet but I always wasn't a huge fan of theory. I'll try and learn some though.

no i definitely didnt fucck face. that is not claiming im a better guitar player than you. explain your reasoning, im confused.
    for someone who isn't arguing, you're getting pretty mad
    ...or dont explain you reasoning.

typical answer for someone who is wrong.

Yeah I looked at some neutral milk hotel stuff and it didn't look that difficult (well I can't play it yet haha). I was looking at some Elliott Smith stuff too and I had no idea how to read most of the tabs, so i'd like to get up to atleast being able to play his stuff, no idea if it is hard or not... but some of it looks pretty hard (like Memory Lane).

I have some basic theory knowledge from when I played clarinet but I always wasn't a huge fan of theory. I'll try and learn some though.
    I haven't heard Elliot Smith so I can't really comment on that

...or dont explain you reasoning.

typical answer for someone who is wrong.
    My reasoning? You asked me if I was as good at guitar as you are, it's pretty straight forward... (a question which had nothing to do with what I was talking about and was an ad hominem argument whether you like it or not)

here is me...playing my own shiit. im just jamming over a rhythm i laid down on my 4 track.

it aint great, but it aint shiitty

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GetHimABodyBag View Post
    My favorite DJ Shadow tune.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

My reasoning? You asked me if I was as good at guitar as you are, it's pretty straight forward...
    no i didnt...quit making shiit up.

heres an elliott smith tab (don't think its 100% accurate but still)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...b.htm#comments

how long would it take to be able to play something like that do you think?

heres an elliott smith tab (don't think its 100% accurate but still)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/...b.htm#comments

how long would it take to be able to play something like that do you think?
    You're gonna want to look up some folk fingerstyle lessons (the justinguitar.com site I showed you earlier has a few lessons on it), as a beginner it would take you a long time to learn that song without getting the technique down first

You're gonna want to look up some folk fingerstyle lessons (the justinguitar.com site I showed you earlier has a few lessons on it), as a beginner it would take you a long time to learn that song without getting the technique down first
    Ok cool. I'm just working my way through the justinguitar.com site slowly, its really really good. Thanks brah.

OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    sup guys...in class right now...
    Gangsta Nation - Non-Sea - MMMC - Weight Lifting Musician Crew

Creator of:

Good Musical Taste Crew

Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post
    Another thought

Given the spot in your development where you are at, focusing on chords is for all intents and purposes the same thing as learning theory. Keep learning your basic open string chords and then learn some movable voicings for maj, min, maj7, and min7 to get started. Nothing fancy involving barre chords for now, just learn some simple 3-finger voicings that you can use to easily start playing any chord that comes across. A few simple ones:

major:

x
    x
    2 (index finger)
    x
    3 (middle finger)
    1 (ring finger)

and kind of lean your fingers back to mute the other strings. some more:

minor:

x
    x
    x

use whatever fingers are comfortable

maj7
    x
    x
    x

min7
    x
    x
    x

dom7
    x
    x
    x

As you can see this is kind of like a baby version of the "E"-shaped barre chords. There are also pretty simple "A" shaped versions that I can post if you're interested but you might as well stick with these for now.

This will make it INCREDIBLY easy to start playing a ton of popular songs in which the chords get away from the open string ones that you probably already know (E,A,D). It also makes it incredibly easy to start writing your own stuff or just ****ing around and having fun.

Have fun with it
    Thanks for the advice brah. Just wondering, i've mainly just been sticking to the basic chords right now till I get faster at chord changes. Should I try and learn other chords too? or wait until I can change chords better?

OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OKPC is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    guess what PlasticTrees, I'm listening to Fake Plastic Trees right now!

Creator of:

Good Musical Taste Crew

Originally Posted by OKPC View Post
    sup guys...in class right now...
    thats an early class brah. i've got tons of homework and **** to study tonight but I just want to misc and practice guitar haha.

guess what PlasticTrees, I'm listening to Fake Plastic Trees right now!
    lol nice brah. brb putting some radiohead on.

lol nice brah. brb putting some radiohead on.
    which song

Creator of:

Good Musical Taste Crew

which song
    reckoner

I hated In Rainbows when it came out but its growing on me lately.

reckoner

I hated In Rainbows when it came out but its growing on me lately.
    im now listening to no surprises

Creator of:

Good Musical Taste Crew

Thanks for the advice brah. Just wondering, i've mainly just been sticking to the basic chords right now till I get faster at chord changes. Should I try and learn other chords too? or wait until I can change chords better?
    IMO it's better to know a few chords that you can actually use than know a bunch of shapes that you struggle to play

IMO it's better to know a few chords that you can actually use than know a bunch of shapes that you struggle to play
    Ok that is what I was thinking. 15 chord changes (or 30 depending on how you count) per minute right now lmao. It feels so slow.

NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000) NJlifter88 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's better to struggle until you get it. Practice what you already know, but always look to expand your playing. Eventually you will get it and move on to struggle with something more challenging.
    frankenstein for president

Originally Posted by maurer View Post
    It's better to struggle until you get it. Practice what you already know, but always look to expand your playing. Eventually you will get it and move on to struggle with something more challenging.
    Yes, I agree. I've already made a fair amount of progress in only 2 days, i'm just a little impatient at times! By the way, thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by nobodyhome View Post

some Joni Mitchell for you guys
    quoted for fail

Creator of:

Good Musical Taste Crew