Shut up and Deadlift! shortbuffguy's Avatar
    shortbuffguy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Over Pronation and Inward Knees.

So I'm a trainer myself, but have steadily gotten more overpronated and bow-legged. Particularly in my right leg. It's really starting to worry me and I'm actually thinking about paying a trainer to focus solely on my leg posture. I just thought I'd turn here first to see if any of you guys who are still in the business have had clients who you successfully helped with leg issues.

I know of some exercises to do but have not discplined myself to do them enough. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone can post a routine (or PM me) I could do several times a week thats specifically for helping my leg posture. If I had some routine examples I feel like I'd be more inclined to consistently do them. Thanks in advance.
    NASM - Certified Personal Trainer

5'4 140lbs. BF 13%

Deadlift - 225x 27/ 315x 8
    No gloves, no wraps, no belt, no chalk, no problem.

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shortbuffguy View Post
    So I'm a trainer myself, but have steadily gotten more overpronated and bow-legged. Particularly in my right leg. It's really starting to worry me and I'm actually thinking about paying a trainer to focus solely on my leg posture. I just thought I'd turn here first to see if any of you guys who are still in the business have had clients who you successfully helped with leg issues.

I know of some exercises to do but have not discplined myself to do them enough. Anyway, what I'm wondering is if anyone can post a routine (or PM me) I could do several times a week thats specifically for helping my leg posture. If I had some routine examples I feel like I'd be more inclined to consistently do them. Thanks in advance.
    Why don't you pick up your NASM book. This problem is incredibly basic/part of the foundation of NASM. look at Overhead Squat assessment

BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10) BFD Zio is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you tried something just simple like daily foamrolling? Even before getting into all the corrective exercises people can do, a lot of times there can just be tight tissue preventing the antagonist muscle from working effectively. Most commonly with this too the culprit is the IT band...at least in my experience.
    "I think if you're alive and you want to be into something, you should be nuts about, or nuts about something else. Don't be half way about anything, because life is too short. If you're going to love somebody, love them, if you're going to hate them, hate them." -Henry Rollins

I loaned all my nasm stuff. I actually have a foam roller, but stopped using it consistently. My biggest problem is devoting time to it. I am doing sl stiff deads which feels like it can help with the bow-legged part. I've also practiced big toe pushes and have used a golf ball on my bottom foot. Any other suggestions?

5'4 140lbs. BF 13%

BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) BSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shortbuffguy View Post
    I loaned all my nasm stuff. I actually have a foam roller, but stopped using it consistently. My biggest problem is devoting time to it. I am doing sl stiff deads which feels like it can help with the bow-legged part. I've also practiced big toe pushes and have used a golf ball on my bottom foot. Any other suggestions?
    Try training your abductors. I don't see what rolling a golf ball on the bottom of your foot will do unless you are having pain in your feet. Also try stretching/rolling your adductors.

Looking at your pic, I would say that there is not a whole lot wrong with your legs...hard to tell in jeans though...My grandfather was very bow legged and you could really tell even when he was wearing his jeans. You look normal(enough) that I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

But if you must... Everything on the lateral(outside) part of your legs is elongated, you need to shorten that side. Everything on the medial(inside) part of your legs is shortened, you need to elongate that side. If you are a trainer and don't know how to do this....I don't think I can help you.

Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Physiologist is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you feet are pronating, GET SOME FITTED SHOES.

I'm a professional foot fitter. If you are heavily pronating get the Brooks Beast or Brookes Addiction.

Pronating feet are due to week ligaments in the foot (spring ligament). The problem is most often heriditary.

Then work on your gluteus medius muscle, as that is the muscle that is responsible for the bow legs.

Thanks for all the refreshment guys. I've been out of the loop for some time now. I've tried all of the above advice at some point. Now I just need to organize a routine with it.

And I just got a gift card to a custom fit shoe place so ill be headed there soon.

5'4 140lbs. BF 13%