Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Getting Back In It at 40

I have recently come to a new realization that I am sorely out of shape. Working too much - which means sitting at my desk way too much and eating poorly.

So, I've started on a workout that I plan to do till the end of May to jump start my return to fitness, then I'll get going on something different in June.

My workout is:

30 minutes in the morning - every other morning. A circuit of running, pullups, pushups, and squats. I run a lap around my block which is 1/3 mile, then 5 pullups, 10 squats, 12 pushups. Repeat.

This is my first week, so today was my 3rd workout - I got through the circuit 4 times this morning. My inspiration for the workout is the Murph workout, but I've modified it to fit into my mornings.

On my off days, I'm doing 30 minutes of dynamic stretching, ankle work, shoulder work, and hip flexibility.

I welcome any thoughts and feedback.

Thanks.

cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cbartley1144 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good recovery workout this morning. My body is sore for sure, but I'm really starting to feel better even after just one week. Surprised this morning at how sore my shoulders are. I've got some initial pump gains which feel good.

I'm excited for a sunny weekend and a chance to add in a mountain bike excursion or some ball at the park.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That is pretty much the same way I started man. Started doing push ups, sit ups, and some cardio. Now I am a full time gym rat who can't stand missing a day.

What are your immediate and long term goals?

Good luck, keeping a journal here was one of the best things I ever did. It helps to keep me accountable, and the people here are great.

Originally Posted by shaneinga View Post
    That is pretty much the same way I started man. Started doing push ups, sit ups, and some cardio. Now I am a full time gym rat who can't stand missing a day.

What are your immediate and long term goals?

Good luck, keeping a journal here was one of the best things I ever did. It helps to keep me accountable, and the people here are great.
    Thanks for the response. I figured a journal here would help with motivation and give me a place to discourse with like minded people about fitness.

I love being active and I couldn't believe how much the last several years of increased responsibilities at work have totally sidetracked my fitness and health. So my immediate goal is to get my heart and lungs working and to get some muscle work in as well. I don't really have any goals as far as my appearance, that will just be a natural side effect of increasing my fitness and athleticism. (Of course I wouldn't mind having my wife notice some added muscle.)

I do need to figure out what I'm going to do when June shows up. Hopefully, I can get some good advice here.

My long term goals? Hmmm...to be a beast, I guess

I want to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle that sets me up for success with any activities that I'm interested in, including doing basketball workouts with my high school son. I want to use my workouts to alleviate stress and to help balance my sedentary work day. I suppose that I want to reduce my body fat a bit and to add lean muscle. I'm not looking to gain a lot of weight. I want to be able to just show up to run a charity 5k when the time arrives (which it does). I want to show up for men's basketball and compete at the level that I used to. I want my joints to not hurt and for my back to be strong.

I know that's a lot of rambling and not very defined at this point. Any advice here is appreciated. Maybe I need to pick some specific fitness goals? Like a bench goal, deadlift goal, etc? I'm thinking of just keeping the goal of working out every morning - so, choosing an appropriate workout for the right amount of time, being consistent and enjoying it.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Those are all good goals. Around here most people are either trying to cut weight or gain muscle and strength along with just being more overall healthy as you described.

Diet, programming, consistency, and having fun are all big keys to success.

As long as you have all of those figured out, you can make your goals more targeted for what you are trying to accomplish at the time.

I have never heard of the Murph workout. It looks like it will help get you active and get you moving in the right direction to your goals. Just make sure you get the diet part right also, as your diet is going to play a huge roll in getting fit again.

Good luck, I will be following along to see what this Murph workout is all about.

squat, eat, rest, repeat. gleason73's Avatar
    gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Murph is a CrossFit "benchmark" workout.
    It is a 1mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups and 300 squats, 1 mile run...I believe.
    It is NOT a workout program, nor should it be done as your daily regiment.
    Good luck on your new journey (as a fellow 40s guy).
    When you do start getting to the gym and following a solid beginner's lifting program, then you'll really see improvements!
    Old, beat up and still lifting
    Olympic Weightlifting Coach
    @gleason73 and @fit_natasha on IG
    Best Lifts
    Snatch: 100kg
    Clean and Jerk: 130kg
    Bench: 285lbs
    Squat: 450lbs
    Deadlift: 660lbs

Originally Posted by gleason73 View Post
    Murph is a CrossFit "benchmark" workout.
    It is a 1mile run, 100 pullups, 200 pushups and 300 squats, 1 mile run...I believe.
    It is NOT a workout program, nor should it be done as your daily regiment.
    Good luck on your new journey (as a fellow 40s guy).
    When you do start getting to the gym and following a solid beginner's lifting program, then you'll really see improvements!
    What are your suggestions for getting back to hitting the weights? I will workout at home. I have all the equipment that I need for free weight exercises. My previous programs have been centered around some main compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, rows. I really only did this consistently for two years - I saw good gains then, but I was much younger. I'm not sure that my back will like squats now - right now I do body weight sumo squats (easier on my knees) and overhead squats (all with full ROM/ATG). Thanks. I just don't want to dive in at my age and get sidelined with injury or over-training issues.

I'll continue to run and do some non-traditional outdoor workouts as well (can't stand being inside during the summer).

Thanks.

squat, eat, rest, repeat. gleason73's Avatar
    gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000) gleason73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cbartley1144 View Post
    What are your suggestions for getting back to hitting the weights? I will workout at home. I have all the equipment that I need for free weight exercises. My previous programs have been centered around some main compound movements - squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, rows. I really only did this consistently for two years - I saw good gains then, but I was much younger. I'm not sure that my back will like squats now - right now I do body weight sumo squats (easier on my knees) and overhead squats (all with full ROM/ATG). Thanks. I just don't want to dive in at my age and get sidelined with injury or over-training issues.

I'll continue to run and do some non-traditional outdoor workouts as well (can't stand being inside during the summer).

Thanks.
    Your back won't like back squats, but you do overhead squats? This seems backwards.
    Try starting strength for a solid beginners program.
    I hear ya on being outside all summer, especially with kids...and I have 5...it's an uphill battle to keep training these days.
    What's wrong with your knees and back? Is there an actually injury?
    Old, beat up and still lifting
    Olympic Weightlifting Coach
    @gleason73 and @fit_natasha on IG
    Best Lifts
    Snatch: 100kg
    Clean and Jerk: 130kg
    Bench: 285lbs
    Squat: 450lbs
    Deadlift: 660lbs

I don't have an injury. I've just worn out my knees and back playing sports.

Overhead squats with a wooden pole. So no weight. All the squats I do right now are body weight squats done primarily for flexibility and agility.

I suppose front squats would be a good alternative to start loading my squats.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    In.

At this point, just doing anything for 20-30 minutes per day is all you need. You're off to a great start.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

My original plan was to do this workout every other day. This would mean that some weeks would have 4 workouts. Today would be workout 4 and I'm not feeling it. I'm wondering if adjusting to just doing it 3 times every week is a good common sense adjustment or if I'm already allowing compromise to creep in.

I'm outside with my coffee as I type this, and my motivation level is rising. Perhaps I push through this and continue with my original plan to do it every other morning. My plan was to treat this like my pre-season - to wake my body up with an intense month of activity, but my muscles and my headache are asking coach for a break.

Did the workout. Just finished it (got a late start because of some morning appointments). Got through 4 circuits again, except for the last set of pullups - only got 2 - a mental failure.

I'm glad that I didn't skip today. I'm going to push through for the whole month with every other day. My cardiovascular system should be good to go by the end of the month.

I did some curls yesterday because I'm an idiot. I need to be sure to do recovery days properly.

I hate taking selfies, but I figured a "before" pic would make sense in a journal.

This is one week in, still essentially a before pic. Not a good pic, but it will do.
    Attached Images

Stronger through Jesus Talltobig's Avatar
    Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Welcome aboard!

Like Marius said, ANY type of exercise will create good results if you haven't done anything for a while. It sounds like you enjoy being outside in the morning and doing endurance circuits. If that's what motivates you right now, keep at it!

There is so many ways to train, depending on what you want to achieve. It's easy to get lost!

I really like the every second day schedule personally. I find that three days off creates to much anticipation and that messes up the work out when I get back to it. Of course, this it strictly personal. Most people do a three or four days a week set up because it fits in to most peoples weekly schedule better. Some people really need that three day recovery once in a while too.

Keep posting and sharing thoughts...
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168393293

2nd morning in a row that I am very slow and having trouble getting around. I think my body is telling me that it is time to adjust some other things.

- Need to get to bed earlier
    - Need to eat better
    - Might need to adjust supplementation

I went to the grocery story last night and loaded up on fruits, veggies, eggs, and lean meats. I also picked up some whey protein. I do think that I may not be eating enough carbs (I'm gluten free). I think I will start making sweet potatoes and rice a regular addition to my meals for some additional carbs. Any thoughts or advice on carbs would be appreciated. I'm not looking to bulk, really, but I want to give my body what it needs. I'm also a drinking a lot more water.

My workouts are in the morning, so post-workout, here is what I've been doing - gulp down some creatine, eat 3 eggs and have some fruit. Now that I type that, I realize that I'm not eating enough post workout - I'll increase both protein and carbs post workout. I don't care to drink shakes, but I may need to have one as I head out the door each morning (post-workout). Thoughts?

Off Day - dynamic stretching and a 30 minute bike ride. Feeling it in my quads. Good times.

This is such a mental game! Had an inner battle this morning trying to get out of bed.

Coffee is my friend.

Discipline and commitment are my tools to success. Interesting how this process is again starting to bring some clarity to other areas of my life as well.

Monday morning ramblings. Now to workout.

Slow, grinding workout this morning. Got through the circuit 3 times. My pullup form is not good. Kicking on almost every one to get to the top.

Grilled some chicken this morning for this week's lunches. Off to work.

Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Talltobig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like oats for carbs. They actually have a decent protein content too which can't hurt (especially if you mix it with higher quality proteins)

I think regular potatoes have more carbs than sweet potatoes, but maybe I'm wrong...

Corn tortillas are good to have around.

Maybe now is the time to start thinking about the program. Pull ups will likely stay the same if you keep doing them as a part of an exhausting circuit every second day. Maybe split it up so that you do the endurance stuff on one day and have another day where you can take breaks and focus on form and not do reps to failure. If Pushups get to easy you could switch to benching or dips. Keep reps low (at least on one day, and then go crazy with reps on another day if you want). Just some thoughts. What do you think?
    Journal:

MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MooseTequila is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fat noob in... look up All Pro and maybe give that a shot. I am starting cycle 3 next week... I'm loving how it is working for me (I will be 57 next month), along with my cardio and doing light shoulder rehab on the off days.

Good luck with it all
    Maayo ang adlaw karun

CAR ▂▃▅▆▇▇▆▅▃▂ DIO
    -------------CREW---------------

____ 💀 I+L 💀 ____
    Team Five-ONE-Five

Thanks for the replIes. I'll respond soon in regards to diet and program.

I've got to get going this morning. I'm going to do something.

Worked a 15 hour day yesterday. Skipped a meal and drank 3 cans of soda. Totally fell off the wagon. Slept 5 hours last night. Not what I need to be doing.

Just finished the workout. Substituted a light deadlift (65x10) instead of pullups.

Got through the circuit 3 times plus another lap, so:

1.3 miles running
    30 bodyweight squats
    36 pushups
    30 deadlift

I do need to adjust and move toward periodization and progression. I still think that jump starting my body, building core and cardio base will serve me well.

Might adjust everything this weekend. Still just keeping the goal of 30 minutes every other day through May.

off to work. Peace.

Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big_Sky_Guy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Before pic is not too shabby. Good luck!
    Journal- One of the Ogres
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139651333

I'm thinking of my workout and typing this as I sit at work, slipping into a Chipotle induced food coma.

I've added protein shakes into my post workout meal. Strawberries, a banana, some milk, creatine and whey. Along with 3 eggs and sausage (not in the shake).

Typical lunch is salad with a chicken breast.

Dinner varies, but based on whole foods with (semi)appropriate macros.

I only take creatine post workout, is it recommended to do more?

I'm feeling better (more energy). I just need to sleep more.

My plan right now is to continue the circuit, but do a push/pull rotation.

For instance:

Pull - run, pullups, deadlift, row, farmers walk - repeat

Push - run, pushups, squat, OH press - repeat

Plan is to do this till June 1.

Sounds good man! Still doing every second day?
    Journal:

Originally Posted by Talltobig View Post
    Sounds good man! Still doing every second day?
    Yep. This morning was the pull circuit, tomorrow is recovery, Sunday will be push circuit. I am ready to separate the workouts into distinct resistance and cardio workouts. I'm going to do this circuit deal through May because I committed to it, if for no other reason.

This morning's workout was tough. I was light-headed throughout the workout. I've been working a ton and not sleeping enough. Looking forward to the weekend.

Today:

Run - 1 mile
    Pullups - 15
    Deadlift - 65x10x3
    Bent Row - 65x10x3

Nice job getting it done!

Enjoy the days off!
    Journal:

Another rough workout. Very humid outside. My heart and lungs still can't keep up with these workouts.

Run - 1 mile
    Pushups - 45
    Squats - 50x10x2
    OH Press - 50x10x3

Added a bit of weight to the squats today. I was very surprised how much difference that 50 pounds made. I only did 2 sets because I felt something give in my upper right hamstring area during my last run.

The start of my progression to being able to move some weight around. Looks like I'm starting out low and slow.

I decided to run this morning instead of doing any resistance exercises. I ran 3 miles.

I mostly decided this because of some significant lower back and hamstring soreness from a weekend construction project. Today was supposed to be a pull workout, and I didn't want to have a poor workout. I'll do the pull workout tomorrow morning instead.

This coming weekend is a 4 day trip, so the rest of this week will be:
    W - pull
    Th - push
    F - pull