Closed Thread
Page 309 of 314 FirstFirst ... 209 259 299 307 308 309 310 311 ... LastLast
Results 9,241 to 9,270 of 9409
    Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Good reading as always. I know you are very detailed and precise with your nutrition so your personal experiance read as well to me as any university study, especially since those are usually looking at other things and sponsered by third parties with an "intrest" in the oeverall reults.

Not saying all of the scientific studies out there are bad...But well, some just are. I just read one the other day becuase I stumbled onto it looking for something about pork (cannot recall maybe fat profile 3s to6s ratio) anyway I found this university "research" study that had evaluated using a higher percentage of protein from pork and how it improved fatloss becuase its slower digesting and maybe magic, yada yada yada...Anyway the study was from Austriallia and paid for by the Pork farmers association or something like that hmmm independent study? I still eat lots of pork, but thats becuase I love me some piggy and its cost effective protein .

Good stuff, I agree with all of the above. I know muscle can be added even in a steep deficit when in an untrained state, but I am finding that at just a year in for myself, I can tell I will not be adding any muscle mass during the deficit, I do think I can sqeak by with minimal loss of actual lean muscle (I know I will lose some size do to intermuscular fat) but I think lifting as heavy as possible is convining enough to the body to keep as much muscle as possible.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    DISCLAIMER: Before I enter this discussion on re-comp, I will tell you that I am going to be giving you my opinions on it based upon my own experiences. I won't be posting any articles or studies, simply for the fact that they are all over the place on this topic and just convolute the issue .

Originally Posted by trickyB View Post
    I appreciate your insight. I definitely need to get over the scale weight and just do it. It seems like there could be a "long term benefit" to getting down to single digits. I have heard and experienced to a lesser degree that after reducing bf future increases in scale weight resulted in improved aesthetics when compared to past body compositions at the same scale weight.
    I have found that after long periods of staying very lean, my body will add fat back differently and shed fat differently in subsequent bulk and cut cycles. This could have to do with a lot of factors. A lot of it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm 52 years old than I would like to admit.

It just simply doesn't take much of a calorie increase for very long for my midsection to butter over and increase in size. My extremities on the other hand take a LONG time to add any appreciable fat to.

I think ID started a thread about this topic a few years ago.
    Yeah. I remember that thread. I believe the focus was more on nutrient partitioning in experienced trainees. I think there is quite a bit to that with guys who carry decent muscle mass, and stay relatively lean.

Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    I believe they refer to that as improved nutrient partitioning with a greater portion of future surpluses that go to the building of muscle versus fat, but I'm sure that Steve can correct me if wrong. BTW, you look lean in your AVI.
    This is the reason I think a lot of guys who have been under the bar for a few years totally over do the amount of protein they eat. If a guy wants to eat a lot of food to stay full and satisfied, so be it. But don't blame high protein requirements because you want to eat. It's totally overblown.

Most guys justify the big calorie "nutrition plans" they are on by saying it's easier to gain muscle by eating such a way. Easier in the fact that you can eat big without carefully tracking, and eat big without maintaining any aesthetics, yes. Easier to actually add lean MUSCLE mass? Let's not get ahead of ourselves on that one.

Lean Body Mass is not the same animal as Lean Muscle Mass. Guys love to claim they gained X amount of Lean Body Mass in a year. So what. Cut the blubber off and actually see how much Lean Muscle Mass is there. Most will be shocked at how little they actually have.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Stebo.... Is recomp possible?

To be clear with the question. Is it possible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time while remaining the same weight?
    From my experience, for a TRAINED INDIVIDUAL? No

I have no evidence that I have ever gained an ounce of new muscle mass while on a calorie deficit. That said, I also don't believe that it takes much of a calorie surplus for me to add new muscle mass.

I also believe there is a freakishly micromanageable sweet spot that can be attained that will allow a guy to continue to make gains in the gym and add lean muscle mass without adding much appreciable body fat. When this topic comes up on the forum, guys always say the muscle gains will be painfully slow. Yep. But then again they are painfully slow when on a big bulk.

Remember, we are talking gains of Lean Muscle Mass, not Lean Body Mass. I can add 8lbs of LBM overnight simply by using a carb peaking strategy. So what.

But here's the thing about all of that. A guy needs to cut down to the desired level of low body fat prior to starting the freakishly micromanaged sweet spot technique. Most guys just simply don't have the balls to do it, and will make high road excuses. Just sayin'

Thats it. Truthfully I haven't looked at the science side of it for any validation. There seems to be something to it.

Lean is relative. I have come a long way in 5 years from 215lbs. But i still have some low back/abdominal fat that needs to go.
    You're right. When I think of guys being lean, I envision under 10%. For some guys, 10% is the holy grail. For me, I think I look fat at 10%. It really has a lot to do with how a guy genetically carries his blubber.

I'll springboard off this and ask about "lean gain" surpluses. I think it's common knowledge that it takes 3500 surplus calories to make a pound of fat, but I understand that it only takes 750 surplus calories to make a pound of muscle (with the balance of the muscle made up of water . . . right?). So, what does that mean for daily surpluses for "seasoned" lifters with several years under the bar?
    I think there is a real tight surplus you can run and still add lean muscle mass, and not add body fat very quickly. A lot of guys want to think they could get the calories perfect and add the muscle and not add any fat. I just don't see how you could be that accurate on a day in, day out basis. Just too many variable to take into consideration.

I think if a guy has his average TDEE worked out accurately, and shoots for an average of 200 calories over each day, that is about the best he can do. Anything tighter than that would drive a guy CrAzY. I have been doing the 150 to 250 a day surplus for several months, and it has required one very short recalibration period to thin the skin back down on my torso.

I am just talking a millimeter or two of fat, though.

As long as I am very slowly adding some fat, I know my calories are in a surplus and I have plenty of nutrition in me to repair and add new Lean Muscle Mass. I can stay at a surplus much longer this way, before I do a short calorie deficit recalibration period to maintain the aesthetics I want to have.

^^^^just MY way of doing it.

ETA***Post bumped from previous page***
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 01-23-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: adjust a poor word choice or two

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    DISCLAIMER: Before I enter this discussion on re-comp, I will tell you that I am going to be giving you my opinions on it based upon my own experiences. I won't be posting any articles or studies, simply for the fact that they are all over the place on this topic and just convolute the issue .

I have found that after long periods of staying very lean, my body will add fat back differently and shed fat differently in subsequent bulk and cut cycles. This could have to do with a lot of factors. A lot of it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm 52 years old than I would like to admit.

It just simply doesn't take much of a calorie increase for very long for my midsection to butter over and increase in size. My extremities on the other hand take a LONG time to add any appreciable fat to.

Yeah. I remember that thread. I believe the focus was more on nutrient portioning in experienced trainees. I think there is quite a bit to that with guys who carry decent muscle mass, and stay relatively lean.

This is the reason I think a lot of guys who have been under the bar for a few years totally over do the amount of protein they eat. If a guy wants to eat a lot of food to stay full and satisfied, so be it. But don't blame high protein requirements because you want to eat. It's totally overblown.

Most guys justify the big calorie "nutrition plans" they are on by saying it's easier to gain muscle by eating such a way. Easier in the fact that you can eat big without carefully tracking, and eat big without maintaining any aesthetics, yes. Easier to actually add lean MUSCLE mass? Let's not get ahead of ourselves on that one.

Lean Body Mass is not the same animal as Lean Muscle Mass. Guys love to claim they gained X amount of Lean Body Mass in a year. So what. Cut the blubber off and actually see how much Lean Muscle Mass is there. Most will be shocked at how little they actually have.

From my experience, for a TRAINED INDIVIDUAL? No

I have no evidence that I have ever gained an ounce of new muscle mass while on a calorie deficit. That said, I also don't believe that it takes much of a calorie surplus for me to add new muscle mass.

I also believe there is a freakishly micromanageable sweet spot that can be attained that will allow a guy to continue to make gains in the gym and add lean muscle mass without adding any appreciable body fat. When this topic comes up on the forum, guys always say the muscle gains will be painfully slow. Yep. But then again they are painfully slow when on a big bulk.

Remember, we are talking gains of Lean Muscle Mass, not Lean Body Mass. I can add 8lbs of LBM overnight simply by using a carb peaking strategy. So what.

But here's the thing about all of that. A guy needs to cut down to the desired level of low body fat prior to starting the freakishly micromanaged sweet spot technique. Most guys just simply don't have the balls to do it, and will make high road excuses. Just sayin'

You're right. When I think of guys being lean, I envision under 10%. For some guys, 10% is the holy grail. For me, I think I look fat at 10%. It really has a lot to do with how a guy genetically carries his blubber.

I think there is a real tight surplus you can run and still add lean muscle mass, and not add body fat very quickly. A lot of guys want to think they could get the calories perfect and add the muscle and not add any fat. I just don't see how you could be that accurate on a day in, day out basis. Just too many variable to take into consideration.

I think if a guy has the average TDEE worked out accurately, and shoot for an average of 200 calories over each day, that is about the best he can do. Anything tighter than that would drive a guy CrAzY. I have been doing the 150 to 250 a day surplus for several months, and it has required a very short recalibration period to thin the skin back down on my torso.

I am just talking a millimeter or two of fat, though.

As long as I am very slowly adding some fat, I know my calories are in a surplus and I have plenty of nutrition in me to repair and add new Lean Muscle Mass. I can stay at a surplus much longer this way, before I do a short calorie deficit recalibration period to maintain the aesthetics I want to have.

Great read. Since I am on the eternal recharge, I thought I would quote and bump to the next page, so others can enjoy the read. Now, to find that Lean Muscle Mass stuff you been talking about.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    DISCLAIMER:

I also believe there is a freakishly micromanageable sweet spot that can be attained that will allow a guy to continue to make gains in the gym and add lean muscle mass without adding much appreciable body fat. When this topic comes up on the forum, guys always say the muscle gains will be painfully slow. Yep. But then again they are painfully slow when on a big bulk.

Good stuff, Thank you for taking the time to write that up. I agree with your thoughts and feel your approach is the best one for me and my goals.

I think there is so much misinformation and deception related to what is possible and the best way to get there that many get lost along the way. I know for my first real bulk phase I gained 30lbs in just a few months. Eat big to get big right?? The amount of time spent stripping away all that fat (again) could have been spent in a small surplus building a small amount of lean muscle mass. Instead I spent another six months in a deficit losing fat and muscle.

I will admit that I did put some muscle on during that bulk and did look look better when I finally reached my starting weight of 170. In my opinion i could have achieved that and more had I spent more time in a modest surplus and less time in a deficit.
    Beside the aesthetic benefits of being relatively leaner year round I know I feel better, have more energy, and my blood pressure/blood sugar are lower.

Cutting down to TRUE single digit body fat isn't easy. You have done an amazing job and I give you so much respect for maintaing it. I think dieting is a skill and guys like you and cmoore are really good at it. Some people just aren't very good at self deprivation and have a hard time with delayed gratification. That being said I feel the longer one spends in a relatively leaner state the better you become at dieting (tracking, food choices, managing social situations etc etc).

Its a pretty big mind f#%k too. In order to achieve the level of leanness I find aesthetically pleasing I will have to weight less than i did when I graduated high school. Am I doing it wrong??? I started going to the gym when I was 16 because I was skinny etc and wanted to be bigger. Those feelings are deep rooted and tough to flush out.

The more I look around the more I learn the stage weight of guys my height who are truly natural is much lower than they look.
    It comes back to that mistake we all make that we carry more muscle than we think we do. It isn't until all the fat is stripped away that the truth becomes evident.

Thanks again. I look forward to following your progress.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Great read.
    Good stuff, Thank you for taking the time to write that up.
    Really, all my write up amounts to is my musings and ramblings on the subject. But personally, I don't think there is enough of that on the boards anymore where the training "grey areas" are concerned. Too many of the discussions on these type of topics lead to pub med and wiki warfare by guys who really have no experience with it.

I think there is a lot to learn from guys who have experience under the bar and experience with dieting down to the levels we are discussing. I certainly don't have all of the answers, and I am always looking for those gems when the truly experienced guys decide to open up and share.

But unfortunately, most are gone due to the keyboard warriors arguing the grey points with them. I understand how that gets tiring. I rarely post in the open forums anymore because I don't really care to defend my point to guys who look like shyt.

Science and peer reviewed studies have there place when discussing certain aspects of training and nutrition. But when it comes to the grey areas of each, I want to know what experienced guys with amazing physiques are doing. But that's just me.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Really, all my write up amounts to is my musings and ramblings on the subject.
    Great stuff, Steve.

I rarely post in the open forums anymore because I don't really care to defend my point to guys who look like shyt.
    Too true.

Do you have any opinions on one's setpoint being adjusted? I've been tracking macros for over 3.5 years, and while I have consciously increased my activity (just walking but 4 miles/day), my setpoint seems to have gone up (meaning more cals/lb recently) . . . even when accounting for the additional activity.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Really, all my write up amounts to is my musings and ramblings on the subject. But personally, I don't think there is enough of that on the boards anymore where the training "grey areas" are concerned. Too many of the discussions on these type of topics lead to pub med and wiki warfare by guys who really have no experience with it.

I think there is a lot to learn from guys who have experience under the bar and experience with dieting down to the levels we are discussing. I certainly don't have all of the answers, and I am always looking for those gems when the truly experienced guys decide to open up and share.

But unfortunately, most are gone due to the keyboard warriors arguing the grey points with them. I understand how that gets tiring. I rarely post in the open forums anymore because I don't really care to defend my point to guys who look like shyt.

Science and peer reviewed studies have there place when discussing certain aspects of training and nutrition. But when it comes to the grey areas of each, I want to know what experienced guys with amazing physiques are doing. But that's just me.
    Hey all my posts are rambled mumbo jumbo.:-)

If it wasn't for guys like you this place wouldn't have much to offer. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated!

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My thoughts exactly. Why I value your log as well as a few select others. They have been there, done that, have the cool sweatshirt. Science has its place, but experience is often of more value in the lifting arts.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) baker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good stuff SteBo...

What is your sweet spot when you're in a surplus and does it matter where the macros come from?

As far as the LBM vs. LMM, how would you track that without getting to conest lean? My strategy is to drop carbs under 200 the day before a weigh in and measurement. That whey I can be sure the weight isn't water.

In fact I think my strategy could use some tweaking to make sure it's consistent.
    Where the mind goes the body follows.

IG @imbakes
    MFP bakerjb19

Sunday 1/25/15 (Pull) Periodized Low Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    Real life has seriously gotten in the way of posting my workouts. I will try to be a little better this week

Back Workout
    Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x8
    I am really concentrating on form and steady cadence with this one. By doing that, it allows me to pull completely with the lats.
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x8
    I have this machine set so that I can get the biggest stretch possible with the rowing movement
    Body Weight Pull-Ups 5x8
    Standard stuff. I seem to be the only one in the gym who ever does these, and I usually have an audience

BicepWorkout
    Machine Bicep Curls 5x10
    This machine provides some of the best feel I have ever gotten while training biceps. I work on getting the maximum contraction possible at the top since constant tension is provided.

AbWorkout
    10 minutes of core work
    I run through my core exercises twice. I see SO many people in the gym train hip flexors rather than abs. SMH

Hamstring Workout
    Leg Curls 5x8
    Steady cadence and placing a lot of emphasis at the top of the pull
    Hip Adductor 5x8
    This machine allows me to directly work a huge part of the quad in an isolated fashion. I have seen a lot of improvement in my upper legs since starting this exercise

QuadWorkout
    Leg Extensions 5x8
    Slow, concentrated movement with a slight Yates style hold at the top
    One Legged Leg Press 7x8
    The one legged version allows me to really hit the quads with some serious intensity without stressing the SIs

Calf Workout
    Calf Press 5x12
    Just trying to burn them up.

Final Thoughts
    I feel like I have things fully re-calibrated now from the holidays. I will run with this level of body fat for the next two months before I dice things up.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Please keep in any updates to your programming if you make them as you get closer to the first contest. Interested to see what types of changes if any are made in volume/intensity etc. looking lean and mean.

Tuesday 1/27/15 (Push) Periodized HighRep-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Observations
    Pump day. All of the weights were set to give me a decent workout with the high reps and give my connective tissue a bit of a break.

Chest Workout
    Machine Bench Press 5x12
    Really concentrating on full ROM and making the pecs do as much of the work as possible
    Pec Deck 5x12
    Going for a full stretch and burn with this one.

Shoulder Workout
    Machine Overhead Press 5x12
    I have the machine set so that the bar drops even with my shoulders at the bottom.
    Machine Rear Delt 5x12
    Full, slow, concentrated pull on this one which really puts a burn on the side and rear delts.

Tricep Workout
    Machine Close Grip Bench 5x15
    Hands in close in the hammer position, and elbows in close to the lats. This one feels like a very pure tricep pressing movement.
    Machine Tricep Extensions 5x15
    Very typical extension type of feel on the triceps with this one
    Rope Press Downs 5x15
    Focusing on burning up the medial head of the tricep

Ab Workout
    10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    Even on low(ish) carbs, this workout gives a pretty good pump.

I hope to have some time tomorrow to get to the discussion.

jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jonnyboy44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice high rep session and looking good in the pic
    My workout journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148017503&welcome=true
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/jonthetrain

Strong work, I love the pump day. Until the pump is gone, then its back to reality.:-)

Changed my avi today. I think I'll keep my weakness posted up to motivate me just a little more over the next 14 weeks.

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'll honestly probably never leave mostly lurk and learn mode in here. I've spent the last 30 minutes reading and enjoying every bit of the discussion. As somebody who's never taken a cut all the way down I found this fairly motivational. I'm of course a little worried about hitting 175 again at some point and realizing there's still a long way to go but it does seem like the most logical approach to this. Like Plateau mentioned, it'll be a lot easier to build when you can see what you're building.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Too true.
    It's a problem and it keeps the guys who can really impact a discussion from posting.

If I go back to the beginning of November for instance... There was a thread started on lean bulking that cmoore got involved in. This would be a topic that he has world class experience with. Chris put some excellent information in there and the thread degraded into a name calling train wreck. Pretty sure I haven't seen him offer any advice in the open forum since then.

Do you have any opinions on one's setpoint being adjusted? I've been tracking macros for over 3.5 years, and while I have consciously increased my activity (just walking but 4 miles/day), my setpoint seems to have gone up (meaning more cals/lb recently) . . . even when accounting for the additional activity.
    If you are talking about body weight set point, then yeah... I think it can change over a period of time. Especially if a person is a trained individual and has added a decent amount of muscle mass.

If you are talking about maintenance calories, I think they change as we grow older, too. For example, my nephew and I are basically the same height and weight. He is 32 years younger than me. He does not have quite the muscle mass I have. Yet he can eat a ton more food than me without getting fat. No way could I eat like he does and maintain my current level of conditioning. Not even close.

Hey all my posts are rambled mumbo jumbo.:-)

If it wasn't for guys like you this place wouldn't have much to offer. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated!
    I am comfortable posting my thoughts, musings, and observations in here. Like I said a few posts up... there is some definite value in learning from the experiences of others. But if someone doesn't want to read them, then they shouldn't let the door hit them in the ass on their way out.

My thoughts exactly. Why I value your log as well as a few select others. They have been there, done that, have the cool sweatshirt. Science has its place, but experience is often of more value in the lifting arts.
    You are absolutely right. Science does have its place in bodybuilding. I've seen some pretty good peer reviewed stuff on nutrition. But it is limited basically to weight loss and nutrient timing.

But I am interested in bodybuilding and how training and nutrition play into hypertrophy. Especially in guys who do it by carefully controlling the variables. I want to learn from those guys. The knuckleheads who get involved in those discussions and create arguments by throwing in pub med and wiki articles that were not done on advanced trainees are just wasting my time.

The experience of advanced, natural trainees is invaluable to me. The biggest improvements in my physique have come from learning methods from guys who have been there and done that successfully.

Originally Posted by baker View Post
    What is your sweet spot when you're in a surplus and does it matter where the macros come from?
    My current sweet spot for macros is 35% protein, 25% carbohydrates, and 40% fats. At my age and level of leanness, I have found the additional proportion of dietary fats to be very valuable. Since I have gone to this, my satiety, my energy, and my physique have improved greatly.

As far as the LBM vs. LMM, how would you track that without getting to conest lean?
    I don't believe it can be done accurately. Just too many variables with fluid retention. For example, I posted in that thread a couple of weeks ago about lean mass index. I was only at 22.8 which was one of the lowest numbers posted. Not to sound condescending or narcissistic or anything, but most of the guys in that thread were posting much bigger numbers than me and they looked like shyt. Just sayin'

I think true muscle gain can only be determined when a guy is really lean and really dry. Only then can the conditions be somewhat closely replicated.

My strategy is to drop carbs under 200 the day before a weigh in and measurement. That whey I can be sure the weight isn't water.

In fact I think my strategy could use some tweaking to make sure it's consistent.
    I think a strategy like that helps with the week in, week out progress checks, but not so much with truly finding out how much pure muscle has been added in a year.

I will be taking strings of posing pictures soon. I will be able to determining whether I am bigger, look better, have made any improvements, etc. over the last two years from those. At this point, the way I look in a pair of posing trunks is all I really give a shyt about.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Please keep in any updates to your programming if you make them as you get closer to the first contest. Interested to see what types of changes if any are made in volume/intensity etc. looking lean and mean.
    I have plans to run another contest log in here. I found the discussion generated from that last time really kept me focused on what I needed to do. Because my physique is improved from the last contest, my posing positions will be changing. It's always good to get feedback on that... even from people who are not experts in it. Everyone knows what looks good and what looks like crap.

Originally Posted by jonnyboy44 View Post
    nice high rep session and looking good in the pic
    I am finding a lot of success in the current periodized scheme I am running now. I have been nursing my right elbow a little bit, and the high rep days are a good break for it. Yet, I tend to get a really good workout in, all the same.

Strong work, I love the pump day. Until the pump is gone, then its back to reality.:-)
    Yeah. When I do the high rep work with a fairly big carb load I look like a different person. It is actually sort of a fun process. I am very interested to see what my body weight will be when I am peaked for the stage.

Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    I'll honestly probably never leave mostly lurk and learn mode in here. I've spent the last 30 minutes reading and enjoying every bit of the discussion. As somebody who's never taken a cut all the way down I found this fairly motivational. I'm of course a little worried about hitting 175 again at some point and realizing there's still a long way to go but it does seem like the most logical approach to this. Like Plateau mentioned, it'll be a lot easier to build when you can see what you're building.
    At this point in my life, I am past the "I need to be big" and "I need to be strong" mindset. I am 52 years old and have no angst about that stuff. But what I do want is to look good. That is an understatement. Looking better than other 52 year old dudes does not have the bar set very high.

I want to look better than guys 40+ who are competitive bodybuilders. That is a completely different universe. And I like that universe.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Science does have its place in bodybuilding. I've seen some pretty good peer reviewed stuff on nutrition. But it is limited basically to weight loss and nutrient timing.

But I am interested in bodybuilding and how training and nutrition play into hypertrophy. Especially in guys who do it by carefully controlling the variables. I want to learn from those guys. The knuckleheads who get involved in those discussions and create arguments by throwing in pub med and wiki articles that were not done on advanced trainees are just wasting my time.

The experience of advanced, natural trainees is invaluable to me. The biggest improvements in my physique have come from learning methods from guys who have been there and done that successfully.
    Then you've probably read some of the work by Brad Schoenfeld and Bret Contreras:

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/ (yeah, I know, goofy name)
    http://www.strengthandconditioningre...om/blog/index/

My current sweet spot for macros is 35% protein, 25% carbohydrates, and 40% fats. At my age and level of leanness, I have found the additional proportion of dietary fats to be very valuable. Since I have gone to this, my satiety, my energy, and my physique have improved greatly.
    My macros are quite similar to this with me eating a few more carbs and a few less fats. My macros vary somewhat from day to day (but rarely significantly), but averaging these for several weeks usually has each macro in the 30-38% range.

For example, I posted in that thread a couple of weeks ago about lean mass index. I was only at 22.8 which was one of the lowest numbers posted. Not to sound condescending or narcissistic or anything, but most of the guys in that thread were posting much bigger numbers than me and they looked like shyt.
    Yours was only the lowest because I didn't post I ran mine at that time and discovered I was 20. That thread did communicate two things to me. 1) the FFMI is of little value when high bodyfat exists and 2) who is on that there 'cell-tech ;-) If memory serves, there was at least one mid-60s lifter who had a FFMI of 27!
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Thursday 1/29/15 (Pull) Periodized High Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    Pump day. Working the muscles as best I can while giving the connective tissue a break.

Back Workout
    Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x12
    I am really concentrating on form and steady cadence with this one. By doing that, it allows me to pull completely with the lats.
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x12
    I have this machine set so that I can get the biggest stretch possible with the rowing movement
    Body Weight Pull-Ups 5x12
    Standard stuff. I seem to be the only one in the gym who ever does these, and I usually have an audience

BicepWorkout
    Machine Bicep Curls 5x15
    This machine provides some of the best feel I have ever gotten while training biceps. I work on getting the maximum contraction possible at the top since constant tension is provided.

AbWorkout
    10 minutes of core work
    I run through my core exercises twice.

Hamstring Workout
    Leg Curls 5x12
    Hip Adductor 5x12
    This machine allows me to directly work a huge part of the quad in an isolated fashion. I have seen a lot of improvement in my upper legs since starting this exercise

QuadWorkout
    Leg Extensions 5x12
    One Legged Leg Press 5x12
    The one legged version allows me to really hit the quads with some serious intensity without stressing the SIs

Calf Workout
    Calf Press 5x15

Final Thoughts
    14 weeks out and things are starting to get diced up a bit.

Then you've probably read some of the work by Brad Schoenfeld and Bret Contreras:

http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/ (yeah, I know, goofy name) http://www.strengthandconditioningre...om/blog/index/
    I have read some stuff by both of those guys. They are very similarly aligned to much of what Layne Norton and Alan Aragon have to say about training and nutrition. As a matter of fact, I think I got turned onto their work through links from Norton's and Aragon's stuff.

One of the things I like about Schoenfeld is he's my age.

My macros are quite similar to this with me eating a few more carbs and a few less fats. My macros vary somewhat from day to day (but rarely significantly), but averaging these for several weeks usually has each macro in the 30-38% range.
    I used to keep my macros at a very bodybuilding typical 40/40/20 breakdown. Personally, I think that is fine for younger guys.

But since I am 52 and determined to keep any unnecessary fat off of my frame, it became evident that running my dietary fats up to the 40% range had a benefit in it. Since adding the additional MCTs to my diet, hormonally I have felt a significant difference. I won't go into specifics, but a guy knows these things.

I have also found that dropping my carbs down into the 120g a day range, and upping my fats to the 90g a day range keeps me from being hungry all of the time.

Yours was only the lowest because I didn't post I ran mine at that time and discovered I was 20. That thread did communicate two things to me. 1) the FFMI is of little value when high bodyfat exists and 2) who is on that there 'cell-tech ;-) If memory serves, there was at least one mid-60s lifter who had a FFMI of 27!
    That calculator specifically mentioned its target was natural trainees and accurate body fat levels. Several of the guys posting those 24+ numbers were either "less than natty" or fat and obviously delusional about how much lean mass they were actually carrying. Just sayin'.

securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Interesting stuff as usual in here. I like the way you break down the weeks training. The Sat/Sun/Tues/Thurs is a nice split. How much time are you typically taking between sets? Are you varying it from low/med/high rep days?

Originally Posted by securekey View Post
    Interesting stuff as usual in here. I like the way you break down the weeks training.
    My goal with this training split is to hit each muscle group hard twice a week and have enough recovery time in between the workouts to actually be able to pull it off. To this point, I have been recovering very well.

It was comforting to know when I was 15 weeks out from the Southern States I still had 30 leg workouts ahead of me.

The Sat/Sun/Tues/Thurs is a nice split. How much time are you typically taking between sets? Are you varying it from low/med/high rep days?
    My time frames vary.

On my Tuesday and Thursday workouts, I only have 60 minutes to get them done. That means I have to move faster and keep my rest times to as short a time span as possible. I did 45 sets AND core work on Thursday. You can do the math as see I am not resting much between sets.

On my Saturday and Sunday workouts, I always take more time. I will do the same workout schemes and take about 80 minutes to do them. The added recovery time between sets on the weekends allows me to handle a little more weight.

I am not a believer in muscle confusion or anything like that, but I do believe in periodization. Besides the revolving rep schemes, I also have revolving rest time between sets going on.

That's a lot of volume in a short period of time. I was guessing you would always keep your lower rep higher intensity days when you have a little more time between sets. Will you be adding any cardio closer to the comp or just use a defict and weight sessions to polish everything up?

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    That's a lot of volume in a short period of time. I was guessing you would always keep your lower rep higher intensity days when you have a little more time between sets.
    Nope. I rotate the periodized scheme and make it work with my available times. Puts a whole new facet on the training schemes to do it that way.

Heavy days are easy to get in during my weekday training sessions. The high rep days are tougher. Try doing a 15 rep sets that winds you, rest for a very short time and then hammer it again. Repeat 5 times. LOL!

Will you be adding any cardio closer to the comp or just use a defict and weight sessions to polish everything up?
    I have no intention of doing any cardio during this prep. It is just part of the experimentation process.

Quite frankly I don't think it will be necessary. I can pretty much calibrate and calculate my time frame to peak week very easily given where my level of leanness is right now.

^^^taken this morning to compare dryness on Saturday morning.

I don't intend to be in the ~5% range for the Southern States. I am going to roll the dice and gamble on a little less dicedness and a little more full physique. So I will be shooting for what most people would consider the ~7% range. I won't need to be drastic to get things there.

Lookout Southern States, The BoStevus machine is on a roll.

Thanks again for this log.

securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My goal with this training split is to hit each muscle group hard twice a week and have enough recovery time in between the workouts to actually be able to pull it off. To this point, I have been recovering very well.

It was comforting to know when I was 15 weeks out from the Southern States I still had 30 leg workouts ahead of me.

My time frames vary.

On my Tuesday and Thursday workouts, I only have 60 minutes to get them done. That means I have to move faster and keep my rest times to as short a time span as possible. I did 45 sets AND core work on Thursday. You can do the math as see I am not resting much between sets.

On my Saturday and Sunday workouts, I always take more time. I will do the same workout schemes and take about 80 minutes to do them. The added recovery time between sets on the weekends allows me to handle a little more weight.

I am not a believer in muscle confusion or anything like that, but I do believe in periodization. Besides the revolving rep schemes, I also have revolving rest time between sets going on.
    I was training Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday but I switched to your split for the past 2 weeks and I must say I enjoy it. My training has changed drastically since last year and honestly I feel 10x better and look just as good. My strength is down a bit and my training is not as 'dynamic' but it fits my lifestyle much better.

Thanks for the info on rest periods.. I figured that was how you ran things but wanted to confirm.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Looking chiseled.

Lookout Southern States, The BoStevus machine is on a roll.
    At this point, I have only made a verbal commitment of "probably".. I won't make any kind of official/monetary commitment for a few weeks yet.

While I am training and running my program as if the Southern States is a GO, I still have some dicey ground to navigate. For instance, my lower back was very tight for a couple of days after my last leg training session. Not good.

My elbows are really barking at me right now which makes me think I am going to have to de-load earlier than scheduled. Not really good, again.

I still have a whole bunch of pictures to take to see if I even belong on that stage in April. So, I will be waiting until the last possible week to commit to the show.

Originally Posted by securekey View Post
    I was training Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday but I switched to your split for the past 2 weeks and I must say I enjoy it. My training has changed drastically since last year and honestly I feel 10x better and look just as good. My strength is down a bit and my training is not as 'dynamic' but it fits my lifestyle much better.
    I have ran the T/Th/Fri/Sat split for several years because it fits well with my personal and family schedule. Over time, I have found that it has some other benefits for me, so I will be sticking with it.

Thanks for the info on rest periods.. I figured that was how you ran things but wanted to confirm.
    The changing rest periods in my training throws some different feels on the muscle groups throughout the week. As far as hypertrophy goes, I am not sure it has much of an impact. Mentally, though, it makes each workout different with distinct challenges. I sort of like that.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Looking chiseled.
    I am in the process of some mini-calorie deficits to adjust my body fat for the purpose of taking my posing practice progress pictures. I am pretty close to where I need to be for that.

The fact is, it really doesn't do me any good to take the pictures to ascertain the proper positions until I can actually see the muscles involved. I am close enough to actually start the process now.

Sunday 2/1/15 (Pull) Periodized Medium Rep- Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    My elbows were still a little achy while doing my warm-ups. They didn’t bother me while doing my back work, but I have a feeling I could be paying for it a little tomorrow. If so, I will figure out how to work in an unscheduled de-load to let things settle down. Not sure what brought this on. Just one of those things I guess, but sort of hitting at a bad time.

Back Workout
    Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x10
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x10
    Body Weight Pull-Ups 5x10
    Standard stuff. Using VERY strict form on these.

BicepWorkout
    Machine Bicep Curls 5x12

AbWorkout
    10 minutes of core work
    I run through my core exercises twice.

Hamstring Workout
    Leg Curls 5x10
    Hip Adductor 5x10

QuadWorkout
    Leg Extensions 5x10
    One Legged Leg Press 5x10

Calf Workout
    Calf Press 5x12

Final Thoughts
    Quads are showing a little deeper separation right now. And lulz at the lower ab viens.

Wow nice work, you know your lean when vascularity in the lower stomach starts popping (never been there before myself). I get elbow issues on an off, it seems doubling my dose of fish oil to 4g /day has helped some (probably bleed out if I get a paper cut though ), I've also gotten a better feel for changing movements up a little when they start to feel like they are going to start bothering me. Not good timing though, I wonder if you have been pushing it a little harder subconsciously just getting into contest mentality?

Closed Thread
Page 309 of 314 FirstFirst ... 209 259 299 307 308 309 310 311 ... LastLast