Closed Thread
Page 300 of 314 FirstFirst ... 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 310 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 9,000 of 9409
    mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ah that's the one I read the other day. I'm really interested in learning more about the MMC. You don't hear a lot about machines being used anymore, at least around here, but the top article definitely gives them some merit. Some good points made about being able to isolate better after the compounds are done and focusing on fatiguing the muscles without worrying about the stabilizers. If in fact I'm understanding this correctly. I'd say with the exception of a couple hammer strength pieces of equipment and leg ext/curls I've rarely glanced at the other machines. Might be worth rethinking after the main compound lifts are finished.
    365 255 480 in April! ...2019
    ☻/
    /β–Œ
    / \ sm2sm crew (---Squat Moar to Squat Moar---)

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Interesting read, although some of those machine advantages are very obvious after reading them, most are things I just would not have thought about. I am still somewhat brainwashed to the free weights are better. But after reading that and dealing with some elbow issues myself that might be an option for my mid week hypertrophy session when my current programming gets stale. I am still making adjustments as a work around with the elbows, but I really didn't think how much harder the stabilization of the load is on the connective tissue, it's not just the pressing and pulling...thanks for those links will read both in their entirety tomorrow.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thursday 9/11/14 (Pull) Periodized High Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    I did a little flexing and posing in the gym mirrors and light. It really gave me the itch to get back on stage. Now I just need to get the leg training lined back out.

Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x10
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x10
    Body Weight Pull-Ups 5x10

Machine Bicep Curls 8x12

Leg Press 5x12
    Leg Extension 5x12
    Leg Curls 5x12

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    Again today, I was pretty much just going through the motions to get my legs used to the movements without placing any stress on the medial glute ligaments. All feels well. This weekend I will start pushing the envelope.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    I am still somewhat brainwashed to the free weights are better.
    What's 'better' is to use the most appropriate tool that's available to perform the specific job at hand. Sometimes that's a barbell or dumbbells; sometimes it's a machine. Sometimes it's an old earthmoving tire out in the yard, or a duffel bag filled with sandbags. The name of the method (free weight, machine, or "other") is irrelevant; the only thing that's important is getting the job done in the most efficient fashion.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What's 'better' is to use the most appropriate tool that's available to perform the specific job at hand. Sometimes that's a barbell or dumbbells; sometimes it's a machine. Sometimes it's an old earthmoving tire out in the yard, or a duffel bag filled with sandbags. The name of the method (free weight, machine, or "other") is irrelevant; the only thing that's important is getting the job done in the most efficient fashion.
    I am all for efficiency and using the best tool for the job, but knowing which tool to use is where the problem starts for me. I pretty much follow the KISS theory with training, and honestly don't even experiment with very much outside of what I had done in the past which was essentially always free weights. I am going to do more experimenting as time goes on because I think variety in general is good for the muscle, mind, and joints. I won't be doing any balance ball curls in the squat rack, but some some of the machines I have tried felt really good, but I thought they would be less effective. I'm starting to come around

Glad everything is coming together Steve and you will be able to start training in comp mode again. Look forward to seeing the plan back in action.
    Last edited by Plateauplower; 09-12-2014 at 02:33 AM.

wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great article, thanks for posting it Steve.
    I always mix in some machine work as the need arises, they are certainly not to be avoided and make a great supplement for focus work.

Too many people decide what they think is fact and stop learning without trying it for themselves.
    "Where you are now is not important, what matters is where you are headed".

What will be your legacy?

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cool how a bit of flexing can get you charged up. Go for it.

Good to hear the legs are ready to go.

Enjoy your weekend.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Thursday 9/11/14 (Pull) Periodized High Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    I did a little flexing and posing in the gym mirrors and light. It really gave me the itch to get back on stage. Now I just need to get the leg training lined back out.

Machine Bicep Curls 8x12

Leg Press 5x12
    Leg Extension 5x12
    Leg Curls 5x12

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    Again today, I was pretty much just going through the motions to get my legs used to the movements without placing any stress on the medial glute ligaments. All feels well. This weekend I will start pushing the envelope.
    U would probably win any contest you get into now too....
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mirroroferised View Post
    Ah that's the one I read the other day. I'm really interested in learning more about the MMC.
    Like so many things in bodybuilding, MMC is subject to a lot of anecdotal information and opinions. The reason I like, and posted that article is because the author actually tried to put the method to the test and see if there was anything to it.

Now while what they did with MMC is hardly university quality, peer reviewed research it does give a little more merit and information on the technique than the articles that simply tout it because it FEELS like it should be working.

I am going to hang with what I am doing for a while, and see what happens. Pretty sure I am not going to be out anything.

You don't hear a lot about machines being used anymore, at least around here, but the top article definitely gives them some merit. Some good points made about being able to isolate better after the compounds are done and focusing on fatiguing the muscles without worrying about the stabilizers. If in fact I'm understanding this correctly. I'd say with the exception of a couple hammer strength pieces of equipment and leg ext/curls I've rarely glanced at the other machines. Might be worth rethinking after the main compound lifts are finished.
    I simply see them like any other tool in the gym that I might get benefit from.

The thing about machines or free weights, is that no matter which you choose to train a muscle the exercise MUST be done correctly. I think that is where a lot of people get lost. They think just because they are using free weights, they are getting the best benefit.

I NEVER offer unsolicited advice in a gym setting. But I see people using free weights so incorrectly that all I can do is shake my head. Yeah, they are moving some weight. And yeah, there is some benefit to being in the gym and working out. But for me, that is simply not good enough.

Interesting read, although some of those machine advantages are very obvious after reading them, most are things I just would not have thought about. I am still somewhat brainwashed to the free weights are better.
    I made an interesting observation this week after having trained at my public gym for a couple of months now.

I have been training exclusively on the machines due to trying to allow the injury to heal. The first few weeks, all of the guys who look like they lifted stayed in the free weight area. I was typically the only guy training in the machine area the whole time I was there.

During my last few workouts, I have had to share the machines with several of those guys. They have slowly started gravitating over into the machine area. You can take that for what its worth.

But after reading that and dealing with some elbow issues myself that might be an option for my mid week hypertrophy session when my current programming gets stale. I am still making adjustments as a work around with the elbows, but I really didn't think how much harder the stabilization of the load is on the connective tissue, it's not just the pressing and pulling...thanks for those links will read both in their entirety tomorrow.
    When I dinked up my elbow two years ago, I activated my free 30 day membership to Lifetime Fitness (I had it because my wife had joined there). I used the machines to train around the injury and saw some benefit to it.

When I sprained the hip ligaments, I decided to give the machines at my new gym a shot so I could keep training. In the process of just trying to stay in the gym, I have learned a few things.

I picked up a shirt at an NANBF competition a couple of years ago. On it, it said “Whatever It Takes”. Ever since then, I have lived by that creed where my training is concerned. If moving forward with my training/competition goals means that I need to train on machines over the near future (to keep the damage done to my body at bay) so I can get back on stage, then I will do it.

I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. There’s training to be done and trophies to win.

I am all for efficiency and using the best tool for the job, but knowing which tool to use is where the problem starts for me. I pretty much follow the KISS theory with training, and honestly don't even experiment with very much outside of what I had done in the past which was essentially always free weights. I am going to do more experimenting as time goes on because I think variety in general is good for the muscle, mind, and joints. I won't be doing any balance ball curls in the squat rack, but some some of the machines I have tried felt really good, but I thought they would be less effective. I'm starting to come around
    Machines are just like everything else in life. There are good ones, and there are lousy ones. In my opinion, the key is to find the good ones and take advantage of them.

For example, the Matrix bicep machine has an amazing feel to it. I can make my biceps feel things on that machine that I have never felt with ANY free weight exercise. I mentioned a few weeks ago that when I managed the gym in college, we had a bicep machine that gave me the best period of arm development I ever had.

I am seriously happy to find this current machine. I am looking forward to seeing what I can get out of it.

Glad everything is coming together Steve and you will be able to start training in comp mode again. Look forward to seeing the plan back in action.
    The comeback plan is in place.

Nutritionally, I am going to stick with the 35p/25c/40f macro breakdown. I have been experimenting with controlled refeeds lately to bolster my calories over maintenance. So far it is working phenomenally.

As far as training goes, the plan is in place as well. But I need my SIs and L5 to cooperate. I can train smart and try to control this as much as possible, but as I found out last year, sometimes this is just completely out of my control.

Chronic pain is a bitch and a training limiter. I will only find out if my plan is successful by living it. So far, so good.

Originally Posted by wedjim View Post
    Great article, thanks for posting it Steve.
    I always mix in some machine work as the need arises, they are certainly not to be avoided and make a great supplement for focus work.
    I plan to mix back in some free weight stuff in the near future. But suffice it to say, based upon what I have gone through since the Gateways, my training will look very different.

Too many people decide what they think is fact and stop learning without trying it for themselves.
    You can never stop learning. But on the other hand, you cannot continually jump from one thing to the next without giving things time to work. I see that way too often in the open forums. Guys read an article or hear of a new training style and they jump on it before they ever give what they are currently doing a chance to work.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Cool how a bit of flexing can get you charged up. Go for it.
    I mentioned to Larry the other day that my upper body looks as good as ever. Not to sound like a braggert, but in my opinion it actually looks better than it did at the Gateways. I just need to get a good year of healthy leg training back under my belt.

Good to hear the legs are ready to go.

Enjoy your weekend.
    A good leg workout without any pain issues the following day will make the weekend VERY enjoyable.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    U would probably win any contest you get into now too....
    It is sort of funny you say that, Alex.

I was talking to the trainer that I worked with for a few months prior to the Gateways. He was trying to convince me to do the Masters Physique at the upcoming NANBF show in October. He gets a little animated sometimes, and was telling me I could win that hands down.

I’m not so sure.

I have never looked into the Men’s Physique comps and have no idea what the judges would be looking for. I do know one thing for sure, though. If I stepped on stage wearing a pair of posing trunks instead of board shorts, the results would be pretty much exactly like they were the last time I did it. I have higher aspirations than that.

I need a REALLY good year of leg training.
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 09-13-2014 at 08:07 AM. Reason: proofing skilz

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Spent the last two hours looking for some intelligent conversation in the open forums. As usual, very little to be found anywhere there, so I'm right back in the journals.

Like so many things in bodybuilding, MMC is subject to a lot of anecdotal information and opinions. The reason I like, and posted that article is because the author actually tried to put the method to the test and see if there was anything to it.

Now while what they did with MMC is hardly university quality, peer reviewed research it does give a little more merit and information on the technique than the articles that simply tout it because it FEELS like it should be working.
    It's been my experience that if I can't feel that muscle working, it isn't (at least not enough to elicit a response). I don't know how else to say it.

The thing about machines or free weights, is that no matter which you choose to train a muscle the exercise MUST be done correctly. I think that is where a lot of people get lost. They think just because they are using free weights, they are getting the best benefit.
    The "free weights or nothing," mantra gets a lot of copy on internet sites like this one, and since most posters/trainees are relatively new to training, they don't have any amount of RL experience to fall back on from which to base their own realization that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I find it humorous that some people seem to think that there's some kind of 'anti-gravity' field surrounding any exercise machine.

But I see people using free weights so incorrectly that all I can do is shake my head. Yeah, they are moving some weight. And yeah, there is some benefit to being in the gym and working out.
    And those are the same narrow-minded people who will be gone in 6 months (if they even last that long).

I made an interesting observation this week after having trained at my public gym for a couple of months now.

I have been training exclusively on the machines due to trying to allow the injury to heal. The first few weeks, all of the guys who look like they lifted stayed in the free weight area. I was typically the only guy training in the machine area the whole time I was there.

During my last few workouts, I have had to share the machines with several of those guys. They have slowly started gravitating over into the machine area. You can take that for what its worth.
    That is interesting.

Has anyone there yet asked you why you stick to just machines?

I picked up a shirt at an NANBF competition a couple of years ago. On it, it said “Whatever It Takes”. Ever since then, I have lived by that creed where my training is concerned. If moving forward with my training/competition goals means that I need to train on machines over the near future (to keep the damage done to my body at bay) so I can get back on stage, then I will do it.
    The two NPC competitors who used to train at the last comm. gym where I held a membership both did the majority of their training on machines (they weren't training partners; each trained separately).

Watched Kevin Leverone and his training partner that day (didn't recognize him), training legs at his then-World Gym in Glen Burnie, Md. back in '96-'97 (?), and other than 5 sets of Barbell Squats, everything else he did was on machines.

Good grief, that guy put forth some effort. I will never, ever agree with the common misconception that "pros will grow on any old thing they do." It's not about the 'supps;' it's about the effort.

I plan to mix back in some free weight stuff in the near future. But suffice it to say, based upon what I have gone through since the Gateways, my training will look very different.
    Steady as you go, Steve.

You can never stop learning. But on the other hand, you cannot continually jump from one thing to the next without giving things time to work. I see that way too often in the open forums. Guys read an article or hear of a new training style and they jump on it before they ever give what they are currently doing a chance to work.
    Other than starting out on an inappropriate program, IMO, ^^^^ this is the main reason for lack of progress (next to not eating enough), and will lead, sooner or later, to enough frustration from lack of gains to take the guy right out the back door, permanently.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Saturday 9/13/14 (Push) Periodized Low Rep-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Observations
    The stacks had to be set higher today than I have ever had them, so forward progression is taking place. I am not being as methodical about my weight increases as I was when training in my home gym. Right now I am being a little more instinctive and playing things more by feel.

Once again, 8s are not really low reps, but they are the lowest rep scheme I am using in my periodization right now.

Machine Bench Press 5x8
    Pec Deck 5x8

Machine Overhead Press 5x8
    Machine Rear Delt 5x8

Machine Close Grip Bench 5x10
    Machine Tricep Extensions 5x10
    Rope Press Downs 5x10

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    Has anyone there yet asked you why you stick to just machines?
    I have not had that question asked. As a matter of fact, I have rarely had anyone talk to me at all. Maybe that is because I keep my head down and stay pretty focused on the business at hand (which is just plain old busting my ass).

I am a very observant person, though. Too much so according to my wife. lol! Today there were two young guys (probably college age) that were following me around. After I would finish training a muscle on a particular machine, they would go over, climb in and try to use my weight... then re-set it to something they could handle.

After I got done with the OH Press Machine, the first kid got in and couldn't budge the weight. He looked over at his friend and lol'd. Then I lol'd from the other side of the gym.

But neither of them ever said a word to me. I've been told I can be intimidating. I've never understood that since it has never been anything I have tried to do to people. Kind of sucks, actually.
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 09-13-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Machine Bench Press 5x8
    Pec Deck 5x8

Machine Overhead Press 5x8
    Machine Rear Delt 5x8

Machine Close Grip Bench 5x10
    Machine Tricep Extensions 5x10
    Rope Press Downs 5x10

10 minutes of core work
    That's gettin' 'er done.

But neither of them ever said a word to me. I've been told I can be intimidating. I've never understood that since it has never been anything I have tried to do to people. Kind of sucks, actually.
    Careful what you wish for, or else you'll have a whole pack of 'em following you around like puppies.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mirroroferised has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So this could be a combination of things but after my deadlifts last night, I finished them off with two other exercises. Smith Incline Press to add in a push and Hammer Strength Hi Iso Rows to finish off my back. Both with a lower weight that I could easily manage with good form for 10-12 reps per set. Now I had a really good deadlift session last night and absolutely smashed a PR but my lats are screaming at me today too and I don't think this is just because of the deads. My chest is feeling good today too. I could feel the machine rows working and of course the controlled reps on the smith as well. I've been a fan of both of those machines for awhile anyway but again, always tried to overload them with weight. Last night was different. I kept the weight on them a bit lighter and had a very good workout. I'm starting to believe there's something to this Steve. I plan on continuing my experiment around the gym.
    ☻/
    /β–Œ

Sunday 9/14/14 (Pull) Periodized Low Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    I was looking forward to this training session due to the leg work that was scheduled.

Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x8
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x8
    Body Weight Pull-Ups 5x8

Machine Bicep Curls 8x10

Leg Curls 5x8
    Leg Extensions 5x8
    Leg Press 5x8
    Calf Press 5x10

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    No problems in the gym with the leg training. All exercises felt good and no tweaks or twinges were felt.

This coming week I have parent/teacher conferences on Tuesday and Thursday which are my normal training days. So to accommodate that I will only do one workout which will be on Wednesday. I will just have to do a double, and then get my schedule back on track next weekend.

Are you using the ISO work before the leg press to pre fatigue the muscles? Just curious why the curls and extensions before the press.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sunday 8/31/14 Periodized Medium Rep Makeup Day-Chest/Tricep and Back/Biceps

Observations
    I missed my workout yesterday due to my schedule and having tickets to the Cardinals Game. I decided to do a double this morning, and simply cut out tricep extensions and body weight pull-ups to accommodate the additional volume.

Machine Bench Press 5x10
    Pec Deck 5x12

Machine Overhead Press 5x10
    Machine Rear Delt 5x12

Machine Close Grip Bench 5x12
    Rope Press Downs 5x12

Machine Bicep Curls 6x12

Final Thoughts
    I was totally spilled over from the post ballgame eating and drinking tour of St. Louis I was taken on. The good thing was that I had plenty of energy for the workout, and got a massive pump from the ton of additional carbs I had last night. It was SO worth it.

One more stadium pic.

This was the first time I had been to a ballgame at the new Busch Stadium. It was really nice, and the feel of the stadium made it seem like you were much closer to the field and the players than in the old stadium, but I definitely missed the extra room the old stadium had. This new one feels rather tight and cramped to me.
    Dayum...u look like a pro athlete out there.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Wednesday 9/17/14 Periodized High Rep Double-up Day-Chest/Tricep and Back/Biceps

Observations
    Due to parent/teacher conferences this week, this workout will be the only one I will be able to get in until the weekend. It was double-up time.

Machine Bench Press 5x12
    Pec Deck 5x12

Machine Overhead Press 5x12
    Machine Rear Delt 5x12

Machine Close Grip Bench 5x15
    Rope Press Downs 5x15

Machine Lat Pull-Downs 5x12
    Machine Chest Supported Rows 5x12

Machine Bicep Curls 6x15

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    I did a terrible job of eating yesterday. The schedule we have for parent teacher conferences provides us with a meal at 2:30 and then we go until 7:30 without a real break. So, I tried to pack in two meals worth of food in one sitting.

But then I got hungry at around 6 and went on a search for something to eat. All I found was the leftover desserts. Oh crap. Once I got started on them, I lost my composure.

Normally I have 125g of carbs each day. A rough estimate of what I had last night would fall into the range of 600 to 700g

Anyway, during my workout today with the combination of high reps and a massive carb load, I swelled up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon.

lol

But then I got hungry at around 6 and went on a search for something to eat. All I found was the leftover desserts. Oh crap. Once I got started on them, I lost my composure.
    Dude.

Yer gonna looz all yer gainz.

Anyway, during my workout today with the combination of high reps and a massive carb load, I swelled up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon.

lol
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Lmao, that's how I am too...I never have any cravings for sweets or desserts at all but if I indulge, I go full Cookie Monster and just destroy all of it. I'm talking the friction from the spoon moving so fast it's melting the ice cream and burning the brownies . Nice pump, I'm sure all that glycogen went to a good cause with that massive workout.

wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000) wedjim is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice work Steve, time to change it to Bo_Pumped! Carbs look good on you, srs! I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that often, but I'll bet occasionally it's a good thing. carb loading in fact, more gainz!!!

Spent the last two hours looking for some intelligent conversation in the open forums. As usual, very little to be found anywhere there, so I'm right back in the journals.
    I worked nearly 70 hours last week, and only had time to get on BB.com from my computer on Wednesday to post my workout. I opened up the boards this morning to try find some interesting reading in the open forums and pretty much crapped out.

I was able to read a little on my phone earlier in the week and post some cryptic ataboys in the journals, but I really hate reading and posting from my phone.

Dude.

Yer gonna looz all yer gainz.
    The spillover from my little carb binge-lol

I wanted a record of what that amount of carbs would do to me. I have noted that I spill over at somewhere around a 400g load. 600 to 700 is certainly too many.

I'm starting to believe there's something to this Steve. I plan on continuing my experiment around the gym.
    Yep. That’s the only way you are really going to know. No amount of reading articles, or listening to guys talk about what works for them has the value experimenting with a technique yourself to see how YOUR body reacts to it.

Are you using the ISO work before the leg press to pre fatigue the muscles? Just curious why the curls and extensions before the press.
    That’s exactly what I’m doing.

Given the circumstances, I want to give my hips the best chance of getting through the workouts as unscathed as possible. The Leg extensions and leg curls prior to the pressing movements not only provide some ISO pre-exhaustion, but they also make sure things are REALLY warmed up and ready to go.

I never have any cravings for sweets or desserts at all but if I indulge, I go full Cookie Monster and just destroy all of i.
    I justified my lack of control by telling myself that I needed a carb up. In reality, I was just bored and feeling sorry for myself and did some comfort eating. All of that is a bad combination for me, and I really have to fight it a lot.

The fact that the added MCTs in my nutrition plan keep my hunger at bay most days helps. It ultimately just becomes a mental breakdown issue for me every now and then. Especially when circumstances get me out of my normal nutrition pattern.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    Dayum...u look like a pro athlete out there.
    I love this guy!

Nice work Steve, time to change it to Bo_Pumped! Carbs look good on you, srs! I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that often, but I'll bet occasionally it's a good thing. carb loading in fact, more gainz!!!
    Adding a big carb load once every week or two seems to be no problem for me. But after years of experimenting with high carb diets, I realized they are not the most beneficial for me. What I am doing now with the 35%P / 25%C / 40%F ratio is working out much better for me on all fronts.

Taking in a big carb load every now and then, recording the results, taking pics, etc. will definitely be good information for my next contest peak. Despite the spillover, I saw some good things on Wednesday!

I was able to read a little on my phone earlier in the week and post some cryptic ataboys in the journals, but I really hate reading and posting from my phone.
    Understood. My internet connection is somewhat unreliable, and on the occasions where I borrowed my wife's iphone to post, it was just a PITA.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Saturday 9/20/14 (Push) Periodized Medium Rep-Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Observations
    Space taker-uppers. They are the worst part of training in a public gym.

When I walked in, there were three people in the whole gym and one of them was a guy just sitting on the bench press machine <sigh>. I did some light stretches, and waited. He just sat. I decided to walk over and ask him if he had many sets left so he knew someone was waiting on the machine. He said no. One more set. Then he just sat.

I watched a little college football, and eventually noticed he did some quarter reps. Maybe 6 of them. And then he just sat. Now I am thinking he is just being passive aggressive. So I decide to play his game.

I sat down on the bench right across from him five feet away. Just sat. Didn't say a word. Just sat. He got up, walked across the gym and I didn't see him again.

Machine Bench Press 5x10
    Pec Deck 5x10

Machine Overhead Press 5x10
    Machine Rear Delt 5x10

Machine Close Grip Bench 5x12
    Machine Tricep Extensions 5x12
    Rope Press Downs 5x12

10 minutes of core work

Final Thoughts
    Once the space taker-upper got the hell out of my way, I got this workout knocked out. My first few sets might have had a little heat behind them, so I guess there is a positive take-away to the story.

Back and legs tomorrow.

I am going to pound my legs.

When you spill over is that mostly water in the interstitial spaces? How long does it take to get rid of the spill over. I just find it interesting because even though I am not lean I can see major differences from being below 100g vs 350g. Just overall puffiness, muscles fuller as well as seeming softer around the waist.

I certainly seems like a common theme in our gym as well. I've seen a guy in the smith machine doing leg presses, using a flat bench, while the leg press is 12 feet away and empty. Cell phone use, curling in the squat rack.
    It would be funny if people weren't there to do real work.

Also, 36 sets of work looks good...once you got an open bench and could get going! :/

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I walked in, there were three people in the whole gym and one of them was a guy just sitting on the bench press machine <sigh>. I did some light stretches, and waited. He just sat. I decided to walk over and ask him if he had many sets left so he knew someone was waiting on the machine. He said no. One more set. Then he just sat.

I watched a little college football, and eventually noticed he did some quarter reps. Maybe 6 of them. And then he just sat. Now I am thinking he is just being passive aggressive. So I decide to play his game.

I sat down on the bench right across from him five feet away. Just sat. Didn't say a word. Just sat. He got up, walked across the gym and I didn't see him again.
    Well played.

lol
    ☻/
    /β–Œ

Sunday 9/21/14 (Pull) Periodized Medium Rep-Back/Biceps/Legs

Observations
    A beautiful day here so there was hardly anyone in the gym. No one came into the machine area the whole time I was there, so I was a happy camper today!

Machine Bicep Curls 8x12

Leg Curls 5x10
    Leg Extensions 5x10
    Leg Press 5x10
    Hip Adductor 3x10
    Calf Press 5x12

10 minutes of core work

Took this pic after my core work. A little dryer today since my nutrition has been back on point for 5 days…

Final Thoughts
    I pushed my leg training harder today than I have in a long time. I had all of the weights set at just about my max for 10 reps. I am interested to see if I will be paying for this over the next few days. If everything is fine, I will start my Thursday leg training this week.

My plan is to hit legs on Thursday and Sunday.

Understood. My internet connection is somewhat unreliable, and on the occasions where I borrowed my wife's iphone to post, it was just a PITA.
    Ever since the forums got blocked at work, my BB.com posting time has been cut a lot. I used to hit the journals on my break and at lunch time. I have tried to do that by using my iPhone, but it is just not an enjoyable experience. It is just too hard to read the tiny print, or do any kind of multi-quoting.

I do read some from time to time, but I rarely post from my phone.

When you spill over is that mostly water in the interstitial spaces?
    For me, it is like I get a layer of water under the skin that makes me look buttered over. It is not really puffiness, so to speak, but more of a loss of sharpness in my abs/torso and a loss of vascularity everywhere else

How long does it take to get rid of the spill over.
    For me it can take up to three days. The comparison below is after 5 days of having my nutrition on target after a massive carb up. The results are not that drastic, but you can definitely tell a difference in the sharpness of my obliques and intercostals.

I just find it interesting because even though I am not lean I can see major differences from being below 100g vs 350g. Just overall puffiness, muscles fuller as well as seeming softer around the waist.
    Yep. When I am much heavier than I am right now, I don’t refer to it as spillover. I just call it carb bloat.

I certainly seems like a common theme in our gym as well. I've seen a guy in the smith machine doing leg presses, using a flat bench, while the leg press is 12 feet away and empty. Cell phone use, curling in the squat rack. It would be funny if people weren't there to do real work.
    Part of the problem I have with my gym is that they have these huge dispensers of Purell wipes hanging on the walls. Some folks wipe everything down religiously before and after each exercise. The problem comes in the fact that the practice does not allow for people to share machines/equipment or work in with one another.

People get to a piece of equipment and camp until they are done. I am all for cleanliness and sanitary conditions, but I hate the current practice that it creates.

Also, 36 sets of work looks good...once you got an open bench and could get going! :/
    The way I post my workouts now it does not look like all that much volume, but I did 46 sets on Sunday and every one was an ass buster.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Well played.
    lol
    Well… there is this little nugget…vvvv

I've been told I can be intimidating.
    ^^^^While it is usually not my intent to do that to people, in the case of the passive-aggressive space taker upper it was.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd say something about legs training, but no jinxing.

Nice work
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Closed Thread
Page 300 of 314 FirstFirst ... 200 250 290 298 299 300 301 302 310 ... LastLast