Closed Thread
Page 263 of 314 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 313 ... LastLast
Results 7,861 to 7,890 of 9409
    securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hopefully just another bump in the road Steve... good luck with the Dr. visit.

Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vytis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looking good Steve - I'd say under 9% easy....do you ever get fat? lol
    Team General Mills

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Wow, nerve wracking. I hope the tests come back with some degree of conclusiveness and you can chart some definitive therapy with a long term protocol. Wishing you well always man.
    Well, to this point I have followed a pretty typical protocol with it. When it first started happening last winter I saw my GP and cardiologist at the practice that I have been going to for over 20 years. They felt like they could deal with the issue given the parameters I gave them. The goal for all of us was to deal with it using the easiest meds with the least amount of sides possible.

The Diltiazem was the best possibility for that. It has been found to be an effective antiarrhythmic. I have been on the lowest possible dosage for the past four months that worked.

Honestly, I have no idea how this will play out once I see my cardio electrophysiologist. I am aware of some to the antiarrhythmic meds out there. He had me on a med called Rythmol prior to my heart procedure that worked great. So great in fact that my wife tried to talk me out of the surgery.

I really do not know what to expect as far as treatment goes. Whatever he does, I trust this guy.

Originally Posted by Vanguard1965 View Post
    Really sorry to hear you are still having issues. Hopefully this is just you being sick and causing some minor issues but at least you are checking with the doctor. Better safe than sorry and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Thanks, Dean. This particular doc that I am going to see next week lifts, and is in darn good shape. When I explain to him about my training goals, he will understand.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    Good luck on your Doc visit, i hope all is in order.
    Thanks, Alex. It will all get worked out. I have a sense of calm about it now that I am going to see this particular doc.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    I feel for you 100% on the rhythm issue, Steve. Back in 2004 I had some issues myself and it was pretty depressing. In fact, the night it first happened, I felt about 50/50 whether I'd make it until morning. It's not a good feeling when something as important as your heart feels like it's letting you down.

They never did figure out what was going on, and all my tests showed perfect health. Luckily for me, it went away after about a month all on its own. But to this day it can still return if I'm particularly stressed or have missed a lot of sleep...and despite the fact that I know it's basically benign, it doesn't make me a happy camper.

Prayers for a definitive solution.
    I understand the 50/50 feeling, Vox. There were two or three nights last winter where I had to lay in bed for several hours before it would subside enough for me to get to sleep. It is nowhere near that bad this time.

For the time being, while I am having random palpitation, the med that I am on is still keeping it in check. At this point, there is no exercise induced dysrhythmia. There is also no issues following my training.

That was the real problem I was having last winter. I was having a lot of problems in the gym, and then I might have episodes that lasted for two hours afterwards. As long as the palpitations I am having remain random like they are, I will keep training as usual.

For right now, anyway, it all seems to subside more when I am active, and for quite a while afterwards. The randomness seems to be more pronounced when I have been relaxing for a while.

Originally Posted by securekey View Post
    Hopefully just another bump in the road Steve... good luck with the Dr. visit.
    I have had plenty of those where my heart is concerned. I have gotten past all of them to this point, so I am not expecting anything different this time.

Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
    Looking good Steve - I'd say under 9% easy....do you ever get fat? lol
    I have been fat (by my standards, anyway) a couple of times in the past 5 years. Each time I let my body fat increase with the intention of trying to maximize my muscle gains (in other words, bulking) I found absolutely NO benefit in it.

On a bulk, I found that I had no more than average strength increases, and no more than average mass increases as well. I just looked fatter, felt sloppy, and pooped more. No my friend, lean mass gaining is where it is at for me.

What is that old saying?... Big arms on a fat guy are like a six pack on a skinny guy. They don’t count.

^^^^or maybe I just made that up .

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    At this point, there is no exercise induced dysrhythmia. There is also no issues following my training.

For right now, anyway, it all seems to subside more when I am active, and for quite a while afterwards.
    These are both positive signs, from what the doc told me. If it gets better with exercise, it's likely nothing to worry about. If it gets worse with exercise, that's when you should be more concerned.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Been thinking how to comment. Mind blank, so I will just pray. I am on your corner!
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

On a bulk, I found that I had no more than average strength increases, and no more than average mass increases as well. I just looked fatter, felt sloppy, and pooped more. No my friend, lean mass gaining is where it is at for me.
    Same here. Wish I would have learned it sooner.

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Tuesday 7/9/13- Legs and Shoulders (Barbell Centric Training- B Rotation)

Wide Leg Press
    10x510
    10x510
    10x510
    10x510

Narrow Leg Press
    10x510
    10x510
    10x510

Leg Curl
    12x55
    12x55
    12x55
    12x55

Calf Presses
    20x510
    20x510
    20x510

Seated OH Barbell Press
    12x175
    12x175
    12x175
    12x175

Plate Front Raise/Bent Lateral Combo
    12x25/12x22
    12x25/12x22
    12x25/12x22

Barbell Shrugs
    10x260
    10x260
    10x260
    10x260

Hanging Knee Raises
    20xBW+13 1/2
    20xBW+13 1/2
    20xBW+13 1/2

Observations
    And the work continues.

Leg Workout
    Leg Press: Wide Foot Position
    Weight increased by 5lbs. This is the identical movement I do on my A day rotation with the heels about 15 inches apart which put most of the weight on the outer sweep of the quads. Dropping these deep with negatives slower than positives. The quads are coming down well to the outside of my chest at the bottom of the movement.
    Leg Press: Narrow Foot Position
    Weight increased by 5lbs. This movement is alternated with hacks on my A day rotation. The feet are positioned with my heels about 4 inches apart which put a lot of the weight right on top of the quads.
    Lying Leg Curls:
    Weight increased by 2 1/2lbs. Steady cadence with a short hold at the top and a slow negative.
    Leg Press Calf Presses
    Weight increased by 5lbs. The first set has toes turned out, on the second set the toes are straight forward, and the final set has the toes turned in.

Shoulder Workout
    Seated Overhead Barbell Press:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Bringing the bar down to my chin until the backs of my arms go just below the parallel plane. Any deeper than this I feel is really unnecessary and forces the triceps to work more than my delts.
    Plate Front Raise/Bent Lateral Combo:
    Weight on each dumbbell increased by 1lb. A set of front raises with a 25lb plate immediately followed by a set of bent raises with the dumbbells. Adding the plate to the movement is new. I stole the idea from Lou1se. I had been looking for a variation of front raises and this one seemed to fit the bill.
    Barbell Shrugs:
    Weight increased by 5lbs. Performed on my SuperBench, chest supported at a 60 degree angle.

Direct Ab Work
    Hanging Knee Raises
    Weight increased by 1lb. The first set has the knees forward focusing on the abdominals. The second and third sets turn the hips and pull the legs up with the obliques.

Final Thoughts
    These are both positive signs, from what the doc told me. If it gets better with exercise, it's likely nothing to worry about. If it gets worse with exercise, that's when you should be more concerned.
    The workout went fine. I wouldn't continue training if I thought there was a problem other than just an annoyance. Today I felt strong and recovered really well between sets. Since I have been back eating at maintenance, the speed of my workouts has picked up. I got this one done in 70 minutes today.

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Been thinking how to comment. Mind blank, so I will just pray. I am on your corner!
    We've been down this road before, brother. It just came back a little sooner than I had hoped. No worries, and thanks for the prayers.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Same here. Wish I would have learned it sooner.
    Lean mass gain FTW!

Today my training weight was 179.4lbs. That's about 7.4lbs heavier than I was in my avi when I was 5 weeks out. For the most part, I feel really comfortable with this level of body fat for general training purposes.

I am still not happy with my new camera. This pic is not nearly as sharp as I would like. I thought I had it figured out, but for some reason I guess I need to find a better setting. Quite frankly, if I don't figure it out soon, I will be making a visit to customer service to exchange it for a different one.

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You look healthy and strong as an ox, it's hard to believe you've got anything wrong with you. 7.4lb heavier and abs clearly showing. That was a lot of work to squeeze in 70mins.

Hopefully whatever that needs doing to get things settled for you will not hamper with your training too much. And it's great that you're able to keep working in the meantime.

De-Load

Things were out of my comfort zone for heavy training today. I just did not feel like it was smart to push it under the circumstances. So I will be taking a week off from normal training and follow a light de-load schedule until I see my cardiac electrophysiologist next Thursday.

The whole thing is a little depressing right now, but I need to be sensible about this. A week of scaled back workouts and light cardio is not going to de-rail a single one of my goals. Causing myself a much greater problem by not treating the situation with some caution could do exactly that.

Right now my plan for the next 7 days is to alternate light cardio with light weight workouts just to keep things moving. If I need to adjust that plan, I will without hesitation.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wisdom is just, well, wise. Rest up, see the Doc, and come back with a vengeance.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good plan and smart move Steve. Still hoping for the best for you!
    "We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to conquer."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Safety first Steve. We're pulling for you.

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like a good plan, Steve.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    A week of scaled back workouts and light cardio is not going to de-rail a single one of my goals. Causing myself a much greater problem by not treating the situation with some caution could do exactly that.

Yup.

Not really anything to be lost by chilling out a bit for a week. My diagnosis is a marked lack of pizza and beer.

Take two donuts and call me in the morning.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    "Patience is a virtue best left upheld by those who have it."- AA'73
    But by God I had to learn some patience this year after Mother Nature practically ramed it down my throat.
    I'm 1/2 the man you are Airborne...if I can you can...because you are the Technician and think things through rather than feel your way through.
    I know the demons speak loud, but you're doing the right thing.

btw...nice leg day, good to see those increases all over the place!

Full Body De-Load Workout #1-Bar Centric

Incline Barbell Bench Press
    12x135
    12x135
    12x135

Wide Grip Pull-Ups
    12xBW
    12xBW
    12xBW

V-Bar Tricep Press Downs
    12x70
    12x70
    12x70

Standing EZ Bar Curls
    12x65
    12x65
    12x65

Overhead Barbell Press
    12x105
    12x105
    12x105

Wide Foot Position Leg Press
    12x300
    12x300
    12x300

Lying Leg Curl
    12x40
    12x40
    12x40

Calf Press
    12x300
    12x300
    12x300

Hanging Knee Raises
    12xBW
    12xBW
    12xBW

Observations
    Gym time- 35 minutes

I am constantly on the lookout for ways to de-load that do not bore me to tears. Because of that, many times when I am scheduled for a de-load I just walk out of the gym for a few days. Due to the circumstances of this de-load I have decided to do alternating full body work for the next week.

Today was bar centric training. Tomorrow will be light cardio. On Sunday I will move to a full body dumbbell focused plan.

There were no problems with this workout. As a matter of fact, this has been a much better day than yesterday.

Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Vanguard1965 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Full body is a good idea and I like how you are changing it up between barbell and dumbbell.

Here is to better days!
    "We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to conquer."
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Full body is a good idea and I like how you are changing it up between barbell and dumbbell.

Here is to better days!
    Ditto that. Glad to read that today was a better day.

Your deload weights aren't a heck of a lot lighter than some folks' working weights (like mine about a year or so ago ).

trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000) trickyB is a name known to all. (+5000)

Regular Rate and Rhythm

Wishing you the best, appreciating your insights, always admiring your results and dedication. One of these days I will have the discipline to bulk like a bodybuilder.

Originally Posted by Lou1se View Post
    You look healthy and strong as an ox, it's hard to believe you've got anything wrong with you. 7.4lb heavier and abs clearly showing. That was a lot of work to squeeze in 70mins.
    As far as muscle groups and connective tissue goes, I am probably healthier than I've been since well before the competition. I really have very little going on now as far as aches and pains are concerned that is bothering me.

Aerobically, the type of cardio I have been doing has me in better condition than I've in been since my early twenties.

Kind of shows the difference between heart valve problems (which I do not have) and electrical impulse problems (which is my own personal hell).

Hopefully whatever that needs doing to get things settled for you will not hamper with your training too much. And it's great that you're able to keep working in the meantime.
    Well, I started getting a little paranoid about the level of intensity I was training with when the palpitations started happening in the gym. Up until then I was willing to keep going. Once that happened it was time to exercise some caution.

My mom made me promise to take it easy. Well, this de-load schedule is my version of taking it easy .

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Wisdom is just, well, wise. Rest up, see the Doc, and come back with a vengeance.
    That is the plan, and why I am going to see the big gun on Thursday. He will get it figured out and then I'll be back hammering away at my 2014 competition goal.

Good plan and smart move Steve. Still hoping for the best for you!
    Thanks, Dean. It will all work out. Just a matter of getting the meds right.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Safety first Steve. We're pulling for you.
    Yep. I am still convinced that what is going on is harmless/benign and that continuing to train hard would not cause me any problems. But, there is no way to be 100% sure, so there is no reason to take even a minute chance at a stroke at this stage of the game.

Originally Posted by BergMuscle View Post
    Sounds like a good plan, Steve.
    I am actually looking forward to seeing how this type of de-load protocol plays out.

Yup.

Not really anything to be lost by chilling out a bit for a week. My diagnosis is a marked lack of pizza and beer.

Take two donuts and call me in the morning.
    The day I decided to call the de-load was almost marked by binging on pizza and donuts as well as many other things.

I throw the best pity parties evar!!! They are filled to the brim with all kinds of comfort foods that I avoid under normal circumstances. And once I get started in on them I exercise little control. I fought the urge all evening to raid the fridge and pantry, but was very glad the next morning that I held it together.

I am still a fatty at my core. And that guy fights me to get out every chance he gets.

I did go ahead with my scheduled re-feed yesterday, though. I had a mucho burrito with grilled chicken, rice, beans, lettuce, and cheese, along with a chicken fajita taco salad that was heavy on the jalapeños. I paid for all of those jalapeños this afternoon.

Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    "Patience is a virtue best left upheld by those who have it."- AA'73
    But by God I had to learn some patience this year after Mother Nature practically ramed it down my throat.
    I'm 1/2 the man you are Airborne...if I can you can...because you are the Technician and think things through rather than feel your way through.
    I know the demons speak loud, but you're doing the right thing.
    Yep. I was told this thing was congenital and they have no idea what causes it. Mother Nature FTL.

When I go in on Thursday, I will be pretty frank with the doc about what I do and what my goals are. I really hope he schedules some tests to see if we can find out what has caused it to escalate, rather than just trying to figure out what it is.

I have been reading a lot about it again lately, and there are quite a few possibilities that I would like to have ruled out.

btw...nice leg day, good to see those increases all over the place!
    I am not giving up on my leg goal. My leg training is pretty intense right now. It was the reason I did not train on Thursday. I knew the way my heart was flopping around that I could not put into it what I wanted, and if I did I was running the risk of a greater problem.

It was better just to stay away.

Here is to better days!
    I am going end up doing at least 4 of the full body routines on this de-load. I began with bar centric. Tomorrow I will do dumbbell centric. After that, I will rotate in different exercises with the bar centric format again. Then that will be followed up using the same method, only with the dumbbells.

It should keep things mentally fresh, and allow me to hold steady until I get some direction from the doc.

Ditto that. Glad to read that today was a better day.

Your deload weights aren't a heck of a lot lighter than some folks' working weights (like mine about a year or so ago ).
    I always have a tendency to go a little heavy on de-load workouts. I am making sure this time to keep things under control, but heavy enough to actually accomplish something.

As far as cardio goes, I am keeping up with it. I did 40 minutes on Thursday, and right about an hour today.

Originally Posted by trickyB View Post
    Wishing you the best, appreciating your insights, always admiring your results and dedication. One of these days I will have the discipline to bulk like a bodybuilder.
    Thanks, B.

The whole idea of the lean mass gain technique seems to be catching on a little more around here. A lot of guys have come to the conclusion that lengthy cuts to get rid of the excess fat put on during a bulk is just too counterproductive.

Personally, I think that older guys who have competitive aspirations are the ones who would benefit the most from adding the least possible fat while attempting to gain muscle. Slower metabolisms, hormone changes, as well as other factors play into the ease of adding unnecessary fat. And it doesn't get any better.

For me at 50, I also have to be concerned about the skin resiliency aspect of cutting after an overzealous bulk. I have no intention of standing on stage and looking like a melting candle because I did not control my eating habits and stretched my gut.

And, as I mentioned earlier this week, during the couple times when I have added quite a bit of unnecessary fat on a bulk I saw no additional strength or muscle gain over a lean mass gaining effort.

The big difference was I just had to add several more weeks of dieting to cut it off.
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 07-13-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo

Full Body De-Load Workout #2-Dumbbell Centric

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    12x65
    12x65
    12x65

Two Arm Dumbbell Rows
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

OH Dumbbell Extensions
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

Dumbbell Spider Curls
    12x25
    12x25
    12x25

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

Hack Squats
    12x200
    12x200
    12x200

Lying Leg Curl
    12x40
    12x40
    12x40

Calf Press
    12x300
    12x300
    12x300

Hanging Knee Raises
    12xBW
    12xBW
    12xBW

Observations
    Gym time- 35 minutes

There were no problems with this workout. Tomorrow will be light cardio. Just counting the days down until my visit with the doc so I can get back to the heavy stuff.

Final Thoughts
    Some of you may have seen this, but I just wanted to put this in my journal for posterity. This was a big moment in the life of SteBo as a natty competitor

Originally Posted by NeverGiveUp87 View Post
    Your physique is achievable for young brahs, not at 50 though. So, cut the crap, cheers.
    LOL- I ain't even mad. As a matter of fact, that's the first time I've ever been accused of using so I have finally arrived in this sport!

But let me educate you on a couple of things, young disillusioned brah.

Here's a pic of me and the guy who won the Masters Men at the trophy presentation of the 2012 Gateway Naturals. I weighed in at 173.8lbs at 5'11", and Lionel was lighter than me. Yeah, we're both a couple of juiced up mass monsters here

Seriously though, if a guy wants to try and cheat the natty system for a cheap plastic trophy there are better federations to try it in the NANBF which is double tested (polygraph and urinalysis). Here's why:

First off, you have to pay all of your fees upfront.
    $62.50 for the NANBF membership
    $55.00 entry fee
    $30.00 per additional class (most guys do a minimum of two classes)
    $40.00 polygraph test

So before you ever take the polygraph you are into it for a minimum of $187.50 which is all NON-refundable.

Now you have to believe that you are enough of a sociopathic liar to fool a polygraph test administered by a retired FBI agent. The first thing you are required to do is sit down and read through the entire list of banned substances and actions. It takes a while. Here's the list: http://www.naturalbuildfitness.com/a...bf_natural.php . The first question of many is, "Have you fully read the entire list?", and then it goes onto many other questions about banned substances and illegal drugs.

Fail the polygraph, get banned from the federation, lose your money, your reputation, and all of time you spent preparing to compete.

Then if you are fortunate enough to place top three in your selected class, you must submit to a urinalysis test right after the trophy presentation. NANBF members can also be re-tested any time during the following year at the NANBF's expense. Refusal to submit could result in a 7 year ban.

So no, it is not just a matter of taking a FREE shot at rolling the dice to see if you get caught before you step on stage. There are some fairly heavy penalties for it. None of it worth a cheap plastic trophy.

I hope that clears things up for you, but thanks for the complement anyway, young cynical brah.

Seriously, those are your deload weights. Seriously?

Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lou1se has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Saw that thread

Congrats lol

Thread started out well and went downhill from there

Great response although wasted energy on the clueless..

securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) securekey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

^^ agreed... I felt bad for the kid he seemed so naïve.

Looks like a good deload session. What are your calories at these days? Do you change them up for a deload or is it pretty steady now.

I negged that dude. I personally don't have much tolerance for people calling other people out without proof.

Essentially, it's slander. Not to mention disrespectful.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No lies, this guy looks like DMX the rapper/actor

IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Stay Strong all year long alex2363's Avatar
    alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000) alex2363 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Full Body De-Load Workout #2-Dumbbell Centric

Incline Dumbbell Bench Press
    12x65
    12x65
    12x65

Two Arm Dumbbell Rows
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

OH Dumbbell Extensions
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

Dumbbell Spider Curls
    12x25
    12x25
    12x25

Overhead Dumbbell Press
    12x50
    12x50
    12x50

Hack Squats
    12x200
    12x200
    12x200

Lying Leg Curl
    12x40
    12x40
    12x40

Calf Press
    12x300
    12x300
    12x300

Hanging Knee Raises
    12xBW
    12xBW
    12xBW

Observations
    Gym time- 35 minutes

There were no problems with this workout. Tomorrow will be light cardio. Just counting the days down until my visit with the doc so I can get back to the heavy stuff.

Final Thoughts
    Some of you may have seen this, but I just wanted to put this in my journal for posterity. This was a big moment in the life of SteBo as a natty competitor
    Stevo, when i was in high school i needed a physical in order to play sports. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur and could not play. For six months i ran and did lot of cardio that made my heart bigger and stronger. The running seem too have made my heart bugger and stronger which in essence got rid of my heart defect. I was wondering maybe it can happen for you. Ask your doctor about the possibilities of increased cardio as a supplement to your therapy.
    IIFYM crews ....I Reps back.
    Traditional Wet Shave Crew / I can't hardly wait for tomorrow to come so I can lift then Wet Shave again.

Seriously, those are your deload weights. Seriously?
    Yep. I spent quite a bit of time prior to getting this de-load started doing the math to make sure that I was right at 70% of my max for lifts of 12 reps. I felt like I had to do that, or else I would probably go too heavy.

I have a tendency to overdo it on de-loads. This time I wanted to make sure I had it right.

In all actuality, so far I have found this method of de-loading quite palatable. I have not minded it a bit.

Saw that thread

Congrats lol

That thread is very typical of any thread that goes for more than two pages out in the O35. They start out staying on topic, but if they get to page 3 it is usually because a train wreck ensued.

You know, I saw it as an opportunity to open up a line of discussion in the O35 that actually had to do with BODYBUILDING.

After I made that post, there were several follow-up questions about natty competition and guidelines. I also got several other questions PMd to me about the polygraphing and drug testing. It was actually fun to be able to answer some questions about drug free competitions.

Originally Posted by securekey View Post
    ^^ agreed... I felt bad for the kid he seemed so naïve.
    Kid is a typical miscer. I checked his post history and almost all of his posts are on the big Misc in the UK Crew thread. He is used to ripping on guys in that thread without putting much thought into it. Just another knucklehead.

Looks like a good deload session. What are your calories at these days? Do you change them up for a deload or is it pretty steady now.
    I had planned on bumping my calories up 200 per day this week, but with the unscheduled de-load I decided to hold them where they were which is right at maintenance. I will not bump them up until I get this heart rhythm deal sorted out and my training gets back to the higher level of intensity.

For now I am just making sure to keep my activity level high enough that I do not start gaining weight on what was my maintenance level of calories prior to the de-load.

I negged that dude. I personally don't have much tolerance for people calling other people out without proof.

Essentially, it's slander. Not to mention disrespectful.
    Understood, and deserved.

That kid mistakenly thought he was just calling me out when he said that 50 year old dudes could not achieve a physique like mine. What he did not realize is he insulted an entire generation of lifters who are busting their asses on a daily basis.

I figured after he made that statement he would get hammered, so I made a mental note of his reps right after I read his little accusation. He was at 997 and is now down to 69. Tough way to learn a lesson about the O35.

And seriously... I wasn't even mad. I didn't bother negging the dude.

Originally Posted by alex2363 View Post
    No lies, this guy looks like DMX the rapper/actor
    Here are a couple of pics of me going head to head with Lionel during pre-judging. He might look like that DMX dude in the face, but he is a heck of a lot more jacked!

Stevo, when i was in high school i needed a physical in order to play sports. I was diagnosed with a heart murmur and could not play. For six months i ran and did lot of cardio that made my heart bigger and stronger. The running seem too have made my heart bugger and stronger which in essence got rid of my heart defect. I was wondering maybe it can happen for you. Ask your doctor about the possibilities of increased cardio as a supplement to your therapy.
    Yep. The doc and I are going to talk about a lot of things on Thursday.

The tests that I have had in the past show that this problem is electrical, as well as congenital (meaning that I was born with it, but it is NOT hereditary). My heart is getting electrical impulses to beat out of rhythm at random times. The meds I have been on over the years are called antiarhythmics.

I have always been told the situation is harmless and benign. But, due to the fact that they have picked up in the last 7 months could mean I have another underlying condition that is causing it. I am sure this particular doc will get me on the right track. This kind of stuff is his gig.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And I thought the heart issues were from injecting cell tech right into your heart... That thread pissed me off. Sending you big time good mojo, monkey dust, and positive juju. I have a good feeling that Thursday will give you a roadmap forward and something you can build around.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seems I always miss the good stuff...until today.

I was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat years ago...told to stay away from caffeine and that it would put me at a greater risk for heart attacks (I have had what I would call "warning attacks" where there was no damage to the heart)...those moments where it would get out of sync were mighty scary. I'd take out my stethoscope and listen and just wait for it to stop...or not.

Mine was also congenital, electrical, and harmless...still very scary. It's gone now, due to some changes I've made to my diet (seriously) and my asthma and running have improved as well. These benefits from the diet change were completely unexpected.

I know you well enough to know that you and your doc will figure this out. In the meantime, I am riding on Dixon's coattails and sending you good mojo, monkey dust and positive vibes.

xo
    Athi

Closed Thread
Page 263 of 314 FirstFirst ... 163 213 253 261 262 263 264 265 273 313 ... LastLast