older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000)

Small Injuries. Want advice

I have two small injuries. Would appreciate advice.

1) I was DB pressing a new PB for me last Saturday. 60 lbs each hand. Did two reps. Since then my right shoulder, throwing arm, hurts. I've had a bit of a rotator cuff "click" in it for decades. Now it's worse.

2) This one is actually funny. Last Wednesday (two days ago) I had the second of two free personal training sessions for joining a new gym. The trainer had me doing lunges across the gym. The idea was to walk across they gym putting one foot way out in front then lowering one's hips until the back knee is near the ground and the front thigh is parallel to the ground, all while keeping one's back straight. Then up and then the other leg goes in front and so on across the gym. I did this a few times and then with my right leg in front, I just felt and think I actually heard a "pop" in my right hip. It was right out of "Burn before reading".

So know I have a sore right shoulder and a sore right hip. I can't run tomorrow because of the hip, and don't think I should do a shoulder or chest routine either, unless I kept the weights really low.

So what should I do? Just not work out?

God I feel old.
    05/24/2009, 186.2 lbs
    04/01/2010, 159.4 lbs

Loose rhymes with goose. Lose rhymes with ooze.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by older2533 View Post
    I have two small injuries. Would appreciate advice.

1) I was DB pressing a new PB for me last Saturday. 60 lbs each hand. Did two reps. Since then my right shoulder, throwing arm, hurts. I've had a bit of a rotator cuff "click" in it for decades. Now it's worse.
    RC injuries are common , you fix it by doing the right exercises usually high reps lower weight , you can google rotator cuff rehab and you will find a dozen or more exercises you can do .. if you have a full tear you will need surgery.
    To establish that, you need a visit to the doc and an MRI , x-rays can't see the the damage

2) This one is actually funny. Last Wednesday (two days ago) I had the second of two free personal training sessions for joining a new gym. The trainer had me doing lunges across the gym. The idea was to walk across they gym putting one foot way out in front then lowering one's hips until the back knee is near the ground and the front thigh is parallel to the ground, all while keeping one's back straight. Then up and then the other leg goes in front and so on across the gym. I did this a few times and then with my right leg in front, I just felt and think I actually heard a "pop" in my right hip. It was right out of "Burn before reading".

So know I have a sore right shoulder and a sore right hip. I can't run tomorrow because of the hip, and don't think I should do a shoulder or chest routine either, unless I kept the weights really low.

So what should I do? Just not work out?

God I feel old.
    Did he have you warmup before doing lunges ? you should ask your trainer about the lunge .. you probably strained a muscle from the excessive stretch.

do your chest routine with light weight and alternate a press like the bench and a standing press , use light weight and high reps and most importantly look up some RC rehab movements
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000) older2533 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    RC injuries are common , you fix it by doing the right exercises usually high reps lower weight , you can google rotator cuff rehab and you will find a dozen or more exercises you can do .. if you have a full tear you will need surgery.
    To establish that, you need a visit to the doc and an MRI , x-rays can't see the the damage

Did he have you warmup before doing lunges ? you should ask your trainer about the lunge .. you probably strained a muscle from the excessive stretch.

do your chest routine with light weight and alternate a press like the bench and a standing press , use light weight and high reps and most importantly look up some RC rehab movements
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate and will do, especially googling the rc rehab. I did warm up before the lunges. The trainer thinks the pop was a tendon moving.
    05/24/2009, 186.2 lbs
    04/01/2010, 159.4 lbs

BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate and will do, especially googling the rc rehab. I did warm up before the lunges. The trainer thinks the pop was a tendon moving.
    well duh all tendons move but now do you have pain or discomfort?
    ice it down for a couple of days and see if it fades away .. that would be a good sign

Originally Posted by BrotherWolf View Post
    well duh all tendons move but now do you have pain or discomfort?
    ice it down for a couple of days and see if it fades away .. that would be a good sign
    I'm not in a huge amount of pain for either the shoulder or the hip, but the shoulder hurts a little always, and the hip hurts when I walk. I'll give it a few days.

Thanks again.
    05/24/2009, 186.2 lbs
    04/01/2010, 159.4 lbs

I'm not in a huge amount of pain for either the shoulder or the hip, but the shoulder hurts a little always, and the hip hurts when I walk. I'll give it a few days.

Thanks again.
    The shoulder is probably more serious

pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi, this is something I know a little about having had 3 shoulder surgeries. First, you need to rest it for a week or so and take some anti-inflammatories. 800 of motrin 3 times a day seems to work for me. I wouldn't do any pressing exercises until pain free. In a week or so when you're pain free, try some of your fav pressing excercises at a LIGHT weight for high reps. Don't over do it this first time. If that day or the next day you have pain, time to go to the ortho guy. If you remain pain free, stay light on your pressing exercises for a couple weeks and gradually increase the weight.

With shoulder injuries you HAVE to be patient, they don't get better overnight. If you end up having to go to the ortho guy, ask him to prescribe you a round or two of rehab. Stay away from the cortisone injections, I've had them, probably more than I should have and they do more harm than good in the long run.

Shoulder specific rehab is probably your best bet. The MRI will be the definitve answer regarding surgery. If you need it, don't worry. Most shoulder surgeries (I say most, not all) can be done with an arthroscope these days.

Good luck,

Steve
    Last edited by pig_killer; 11-21-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pig_killer View Post
    Hi, this is something I know a little about having had 3 shoulder surgeries. First, you need to rest it for a week or so and take some anit-inflammatories. 800 of motrin 3 times a day seems to work for me. I wouldn't do any pressing exercises until pain free. In a week or so when you're pain free, try some of your fav pressing excercises at a LIGHT weight for high reps. Don't over do it this first time. If that day or the next day you have pain, time to go to the ortho guy. If you remain pain free, stay light on your pressing exercises for a couple weeks and gradually increase the weight.

With shoulder injuries you HAVE to be patient, they don't get better overnight. If you end up having to go to the ortho guy, ask him to prescribe you a round or two of rehab. Stay away from the cortisone injections, I've had them, probably more than I should have and they do more harm than good in the long run.

Shoulder specific rehab is probably your best bet. The MRI will be the definitve answer regarding surgery. If you need it, don't worry. Most shoulder surgeries (I say most, not all) can be done with an arthroscope these days.

Good luck,

Steve

I've got a bad shoulder injury from working out last week. But this is actually an old "friend" resurfacing as he does about every 6 months or so, effectively derailing my shoulder/chest training. Over the years I've found various ways to work around it, but Steve is right: when it first occurs and there's pain, you have to stop for awhile.

I have another old injury in my lumbar area that occurs usually doing T-bars or deadlifts. It doesn't cripple me, although it's occurred so often in the past 20 years I'm used to it and am told that the same injury freaks people out and they lie in bed thinking they can't move. For me, this is an easy one to work around using pullups, pulldowns, but especially one arm dumbell rows.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon