gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100)

5x5 feels like I'm not pushing it....

Yo what's up everyone. I just started this 5x5 thing and I'm on week 2.... However, I feel as though I'm taking it easy, even though I am bumping the wait a few pounds heavier than is on the excel file... b/c I have been lifting around 4-5 times a week consistently for about a year and a half (working each body part once a week and doing about 6 lifts of like 4 sets per lift, pyramiding usually).... but I've been doing this and I feel like a slacker somewhat.... My main goal right now is just get stronger on bench, dead lift, and squat....

I have the workout attached, let me know your thoughts, comments, etc. Thanks...
    Attached Files

kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Isn't the program designed not to get you to your PR's until week 4?

-kap
    Grrrrrrrrrrr...

Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wosborne1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post

-kap
    Once you start hitting your PR's you will feel like your working. Especially on the fridays, fridays SUCK A** after a while.
    Current max's
    Bench:240
    Squat :305
    Deadlift :390

^You don't get there, or far beyond without listening to people who know their stuff, so that you too can know your stuff. Stick to the barbells and progress with come.

gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100) gmoney2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post

-kap

Yeah, but I just feel weird just not going balls to the wall. I am sticking with it for at least a month, but I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time, or make sure that I'm not doing something totally wrong, or just if I can do something to improve it.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gmoney2012 View Post
    Yeah, but I just feel weird just not going balls to the wall. I am sticking with it for at least a month, but I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time, or make sure that I'm not doing something totally wrong, or just if I can do something to improve it.
    If you stick with it for only a month, you will be wasting your time. The idea is that you don't hit your current 5RM's until the 4th week. PR lifts don't come till after that. You're not supposed to feel like you're going balls-to-the-wall till then. In fact if you do, you're screwing up the program.

The 4 week ramp up is there for a reason. Bill Starr is pound-for-pound one of the stronger humans to have walked the planet, and has coached more incredibly strong people than you can count. He designed the program the way it is for a reason.

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    If you stick with it for only a month, you will be wasting your time. The idea is that you don't hit your current 5RM's until the 4th week. PR lifts don't come till after that. You're not supposed to feel like you're going balls-to-the-wall till then. In fact if you do, you're screwing up the program.

The 4 week ramp up is there for a reason. Bill Starr is pound-for-pound one of the stronger humans to have walked the planet, and has coached more incredibly strong people than you can count. He designed the program the way it is for a reason.
    okay, thanks for the blunt reply

i will do it the way that it is for longer than a month

okay, thanks for the blunt reply

i will do it the way that it is for longer than a month
    Oh and when is it okay to do cardio? Should I just do it on off days? Or is it okay to do on days that I lift as long as my calories are making up for the extra energy exerted

RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RedHatcc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "Bill Starr is pound-for-pound one of the stronger humans to have walked the planet, and has coached more incredibly strong people than you can count."

lol im considering making this my sig.

but really he is right, stick with it until then
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    http://www.GuruFuel.com - Hardware, Software, Programming, Hacking.

MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50) MaximusJuris will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm doing bill starr's 5x5 for the second time now, first was for 8-10 weeks this past summer before cutting. And I'm going it again. I can definitely speak from experience that the first 3-4 weeks are pretty easy-going. The 5, 6th, 7th, 8th each get progressively harder in my experience. By the 5th week, it's pretty easy to surpass my previous PR. But 7, 8, 9, etc... not so easy. I guess I'm on week 6-ish now and still shootin' past. Hit 215x3 on squats, 195x3 on bench, and 150x3 on bent over rows. Rows are gettin' tougher, squats and bench weren't too bad. We'll see if I get to update my sig on Monday.

Just stick with it, man! If you're doin' it right and eatin' plenty of food, I think you'll be satisfied.

embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10) embrau is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just finished the 3rd workout in week 7 and I can tell you it isn't easy at this point. The first weeks do seem easy, especially if you are moving from a split to a full body workout. Now doing 3 heavy compound exercises each day is taking its toll on me. I don't feel a pump or a burn during the workout, just drained. It's a completely different feeling. I was so exhausted I didn't even want to do the accessory work today, but powered through it.

Enjoy the fact that it is easy now because soon enough you will be wishing for more days like that.

Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Uniden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The first few weeks are easy, they are intended to be. You'll start to miss those a little once your a ways into the program.

I have been using this program for close to 7 months now and set PR's every week from week 5 until week 12 or so. At that point my bench and row started to stall but my DL and squat have continued to increase.

I've make a lot of great gains over the last 7 months, so I suggest you to stick with it...it will get hard soon enough.
    Last edited by Uniden; 12-11-2009 at 06:23 PM.

Chief05 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yo what's up everyone. I just started this 5x5 thing and I'm on week 2.... However, I feel as though I'm taking it easy, even though I am bumping the wait a few pounds heavier than is on the excel file... b/c I have been lifting around 4-5 times a week consistently for about a year and a half (working each body part once a week and doing about 6 lifts of like 4 sets per lift, pyramiding usually).... but I've been doing this and I feel like a slacker somewhat.... My main goal right now is just get stronger on bench, dead lift, and squat....

I have the workout attached, let me know your thoughts, comments, etc. Thanks...
    One of the biggest mistakes is training 1 body part a week!!! I had read the top 10 things not to do and is was 3rd on the list.Twice a week training a body part for a total of 10 sets will make your workout 100% better.Some guy's like to the 5x5 3 times a week but for me Im not in condition yet to do that just yet.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh and when is it okay to do cardio? Should I just do it on off days? Or is it okay to do on days that I lift as long as my calories are making up for the extra energy exerted
    It's up to you. If your goals are to gain weight, obviously keep the cardio to a minimum (or not at all). But if you're going to do it, I'd say keep it to the non-lifting days and don't go crazy with it. Lots of high-intensity cardio can definitely cut into your lifting recovery. When you're pushing into the 16th week on this program, you'll need all the rest you can get to be ready for the next workout.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by r_graz View Post

^^^^This bears repeating.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500) metal2rules is not very helpful. (-500)

lower your weight for each week

I'm telling you right now man i ****ed up my knees doing a 5x5 workout for about 3months. main reason was i was going up in 5lbs on squats like you have it. Also i have good form because i would tell people who were spotting me and watching me to critic my form so that was not the problem. but really watch the weight man. but overall looks pretty good.

lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10) lefthookright is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by metal2rules View Post
    I'm telling you right now man i ****ed up my knees doing a 5x5 workout for about 3months. main reason was i was going up in 5lbs on squats like you have it. Also i have good form because i would tell people who were spotting me and watching me to critic my form so that was not the problem. but really watch the weight man. but overall looks pretty good.
    I wouldn't trust just any gym rat to critique form for anything much less a squat.

Originally Posted by lefthookright View Post
    I wouldn't trust just any gym rat to critique form for anything much less a squat.
    Plus, knee pain doing squats (if the knees are relatively healthy to begin with) is generally a sign that form is breaking down somewhere. Either weight forward on the toes instead of the heels, or not getting deep enough (since that place all the shear force on the knees instead of transferring it to the hips).

And yeah, from watching people squat at commercial gyms, I'd say the odds of getting good advice on that exercise are 100 to 1 or worse.

kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50) kaplanfx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just had 40% of my meniscus removed from one knee back in February. I started heavy squatting about a month and a half ago. My knee has IMPROVED. If your form is correct, it should not be bothering your knee, and the muscle you gain doing heavy squats will help to stabilize your knee.

-kap
    Grrrrrrrrrrr...