Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

over training...

just wondering what the teen section members define over training as.

what makes something over training, in your opinions?

examples, and personal definitions, are welcome.

I make the thread because allot of people seem to have strong opinions on what overtraining is.

Deadliftin' to get erect JC_Strongman's Avatar
    JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JC_Strongman is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There's a few camps in here on overtraining. I personally hold to the idea that while it probably is possible to reach a point of overtraining, most people here simply don't push themselves that hard to reach that point (specifically the people who are "overtraining" on 3 day whole body splits). In most of these cases it's just undereating. If your diets perfect and you're still suffering chronic fatigue in the gym and your maxes are suffering than you're overtraining and you need to take a break or switch something up.
    Last edited by JC_Strongman; 11-19-2009 at 11:38 PM.

pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pgan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=19447

That should explain it to just about anybody, for those who are lazy and dont want to read:

High Volume x High Intensity x Extended period of time = systemic breakdown resulting in changes to your entire body, not just specific muscles/muscle groups.

A lot of people, however, think that overtraining is working out one part of your body to the extent that you can barely move it. That isn't overtraining. If you do that 3-4 times a week, it will probably eventually lead to overtraining though.

Edit: BTW, i DOUBT you can ever achieve overtraining by pumping up the volume and intensity in small muscle groups like say... your arms.
    Goals: (by Jan, 2010)
    Bodyweight: 170lb
    Body Fat: 12%
    (in full sets of 5s)
    Squat-> 250lb (165 now)
    Bench-> 200lb (135 now)
    Deadlift-> 275lb (195 now)
    Pend. Rows - > 175lb (135 now)
    Press-> 130lb (80lb now)

Pullups-> 20 consecutive

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've never overtrained so I can't really say.

Well maybe I have. Its when your body feels like ****. Kinda like you're sick. But not from bacteria or virus. Physical exhaustion that leads to mental exhaustion. ??????idunno.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Aussie12 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    IMO its mental/physical exhaustion that sets in over time, most likely due to under resting or under eating in most cases then again ive never overtrained myself

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends what type of over-training we are talking about here.

Over-trainnig is a physical, behavioral and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness.

To be honnest i dont actually think much people here on this forum will experience over-training unless they are not eating/sleeping properally, if anything they are not over-training, but rather under-eating and under-sleeping. But i would say a decent amount of members here do actually over-train certian muscle groups, for example the biceps or chest, everyone thinks the more you train the muscle the bigger it will get, so basically they are benching or curling many times per week in hoping to get good gains, but relly they are actually over-training that certian muscle group because they are training it again and again and again before the muscle gets time to fully recover and grow.

Training a muscle before it has fully recovered from the previous workout, is also over-training.
    Last edited by JOSEF RAKICH; 11-20-2009 at 12:02 AM.

CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CallmeKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My personal view on Overtraining is exerting a a muscle too complete exhuastion without giving it proper time to recover typically caused by undereating and undersleeping. I think it is also very mental I hear a ton of people I deadlifted 315x3 and only got 315x2 today I think I'm overtrained.

If your eating good with plenty of calories and a high protien intake with a good pre workout meal I don't really think you can overtrain unless your doing some crazy routine with tons of volume and going 6-7 times a week.

IMO I think the majority of people that say they overtrained and are not reaching there goals are most likely undertraining on some stupid routine and undereating.

SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiR_Mikey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Galindo62 View Post
    I've never overtrained so I can't really say.

Well maybe I have. Its when your body feels like ****. Kinda like you're sick. But not from bacteria or virus. Physical exhaustion that leads to mental exhaustion. ??????idunno.
    That's exactly how I feel right now. My whole body hurts, my head hurts, all I want to do is lay down but I can't fall asleep. I just feel like all around **** and just kinda out of it all together(lack of focus). This is only the second time I've felt this way in the two years I've been lifting. I don't know if this would be a result from over training or not, but I'm calling it quits until Monday. What's weird is I skipped all last week (I take a week off every ~2 months). I don't think it would be a diet/rest problem as I eat 3500+ calories a day, get 9-11 hours of sleep a night and my lifts aren't suffering. Like I said, I don't know if this is a result of over training or not but it's not fun.

N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500) N4th4n is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    under eating.

Bryannosaurus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I posted a new thread about this but it didnt get any attn. a while ago i was i decided to add drop sets to every part of my chest work out (flat bench, incline bench, incline flies, flat) i stopped doing that out of fear of over training. was this a good idea?

omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) omg_otters is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Depends what type of over-training we are talking about here.

Over-trainnig is a physical, behavioral and emotional condition that occurs when the volume and intensity of an individual's exercise exceeds their recovery capacity. They cease making progress, and can even begin to lose strength and fitness.

To be honnest i dont actually think much people here on this forum will experience over-training unless they are not eating/sleeping properally, if anything they are not over-training, but rather under-eating and under-sleeping. But i would say a decent amount of members here do actually over-train certian muscle groups, for example the biceps or chest, everyone thinks the more you train the muscle the bigger it will get, so basically they are benching or curling many times per week in hoping to get good gains, but relly they are actually over-training that certian muscle group because they are training it again and again and again before the muscle gets time to fully recover and grow.

Training a muscle before it has fully recovered from the previous workout, is also over-training.
    It's posts like this that make me question the theory behind sheiko-style training, which seems to be basically controlled overtraining for a short period.

Anyone got any input on this?

No thread hijack intended
    [QUOTE=mrawdtsi]seriously, the best username in the misc. srs. lol every time....[/QUOTE]
    [QUOTE=MyBodyIsRdy420]your username is sofa king cool.[/QUOTE]

squat/bench/deadlift - 480/286/572

Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gold_Adapter will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have 3-4 day body routine every week intense and I don't feel over trained. Some times I feel so tired that I just wanta leave the gym and have no will power. But most of the time I love being in the gym I don't over train and you can't over train. Strong bro science I know, you just have to know your body.

batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the only time I have over trained in my life was freshman year of high school when I benched, squatted, deadlifted, powercleaned, and military pressed monday-Friday for one summer straight, I felt sooo lazy in the weight room, when I would lift I would lay there and stare at the weight for like 10 minutes before doing one half assed rep with it, I didn't know what I was doing

Rub some funk on it watermelon_2001's Avatar
    watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelon_2001 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think the majority of people confuse overtraining with 'over-working.' Over-working, I believe, is short-term; not giving the muscles enough time to recover until the next time they are worked. In the long run, over-working can, I believe, lead to overtraining, but the two are different. When overtrained, it affects everything, not just your muscles. Your hormones suffer- the stress takes its toll on your CNS and endocrine system. Your immune system also won't function as it should, and you find yourself getting sick more often. Essentially, the continuous stress overwhelms your body, especially with so little rest. Your testosterone levels take a dive, and your libido suffers too. What's more, your whole approach to your working-out also becomes affected, and you can't push past a certain point
    Last edited by watermelon_2001; 11-20-2009 at 06:11 AM.
    Anorexia dragged me to rock-bottom; watch me build myself back up...

My Journal; http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118286631

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Label has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If peoples diets were in check I doubt a majority on the forums could over train at the current intensity.

Outside factor could contribute such as working in a restaurant, surfing, , and lift all on the same day repeatedly.
    🎄⛄🎄In🎄⛄🎄

BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBEssentials is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're sore for over 2 days off of a part of a split

I did 2 weeks straight push/pull. I literally COULD NOT LIFT for 2 weeks No db's, barbell, anything. The day I was finally able to lift, all my lifts went up at least 30 lbs each.

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by watermelon_2001 View Post
    I think the majority of people confuse overtraining with 'over-working.' Over-working, I believe, is short-term; not giving the muscles enough time to recover until the next time they are worked. In the long run, over-working can, I believe, lead to overtraining, but the two are different. When overtrained, it affects everything, not just your muscles. Your hormones suffer- the stress takes its toll on your CNS and endocrine system. Your immune system also won't function as it should, and you find yourself getting sick more often. Essentially, the continuous stress overwhelms your body, especially with so little rest. Your testosterone levels take a dive, and your libido suffers too. What's more, your whole approach to your working-out also becomes affected, and you can't push past a certain point
    Yeah I totally agree wuth this.

The cns.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Widge is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i know im overtaining when i am sore pretty much constantly even tho im only lifting 3x a week, i feel tired often and lack motivation + stregnth is down or at best plateaud

this usually co-insides at about 7-10 weeks of hard training.

edit- well maybe im not overtraining, but i need to deload my CNS at this point
    Last edited by Widge; 11-20-2009 at 09:56 AM.
    my posts are my own opinion and a result of my OWN experience,

AS in sports science
    year studying anatomy and physiology (sp) < probly

lertno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overtraining

If your not able to do more reps or more weight then the last workout then your most likely working out too soon. Your body hasn't recovered enough.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if my 1rm on an exercise was 400, and for a few workouts in a row, I felt like I couldnt hit 320-350 for a single this would indicate that I am overtrained. (rule of thumb = 20% drop in performance, which continues for longer than 1 workout)

Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Unst0pp4bl3 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When you train to the point that addition volume/workouts are no longer beneficial towards your goals.

For example, if you are running smolov and you are still squatting while sore, thats not "over training", because you are still making gains and helping your squat. But to a lot of people, DOMs means they are over training and are doing something wrong.

On the other hand, if you are in the gym doing 5 different exercises for forearms, that is over training in a sense, because doing another ****ing set isnt going to do anything. That is IMO, "over training"
    "Something about your dick getting dirty from all the poop and crap..."

"So you shave yours?"

"One thing about scissors... They scare the **** out of me being near my cock... What if I make a wrong move and cut it open... "

-DavidtheFat

Currently doing Madcows 5x5, lets see how this goes.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Unst0pp4bl3 View Post
    When you train to the point that addition volume/workouts are no longer beneficial towards your goals.

For example, if you are running smolov and you are still squatting while sore, thats not "over training", because you are still making gains and helping your squat. But to a lot of people, DOMs means they are over training and are doing something wrong.

On the other hand, if you are in the gym doing 5 different exercises for forearms, that is over training in a sense, because doing another ****ing set isnt going to do anything. That is IMO, "over training"
    hmm... you have a good point but IDK if I would call that overtraining. Theres gotta be another word for it, because based on your description doing 1000 crunches a day is 'overtraining'... which it isn't, its just pointless.

NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000)
    overtraining is training in such a way that you destroy your body instead of building it
    ★☆★★☆ tmiscplace2 crew ★☆★★☆
    Always pick 4 crew
    ☆★★☆ BELGIUM WILL CRUSH USA 1/07/2014 NEVER FORGET ☆★★☆

2k+

Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000) NeoginCF is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by lertno View Post
    If your not able to do more reps or more weight then the last workout then your most likely working out too soon. Your body hasn't recovered enough.
    strong post count to join date ratio
    ★☆★★☆ tmiscplace2 crew ★☆★★☆
    Always pick 4 crew
    ☆★★☆ BELGIUM WILL CRUSH USA 1/07/2014 NEVER FORGET ☆★★☆

2k+

Any posts made by me are purely fictional in nature and by no means is anything I say to be taken seriously. Any and all pictures I post are pictures widely available on the internet and any discussions I am involved in are purely hypothetical or are commentary in nature and should not constitute advice or be considered advice to assist in activities that are deemed illegal.

AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000) AirChair is just really nice. (+1000)
    Half of Teen is retarded and thinks doing more than three sets of curls a week is "overtraining".
    forum rule
    Discussion of illegal, banned, or controlled substances. This includes but is not limited to: steroids, FDA banned substances, pro-hormones, illegal drugs (United States laws apply), and prescription drugs. If it isn’t a product currently sold on Bodybuilding.com take caution in discussing it.

babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) babyslayer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JC_Strongman View Post
    There's a few camps in here on overtraining. I personally hold to the idea that while it probably is possible to reach a point of overtraining, most people here simply don't push themselves that hard to reach that point (specifically the people who are "overtraining" on 3 day whole body splits). In most of these cases it's just undereating. If your diets perfect and you're still suffering chronic fatigue in the gym and your maxes are suffering than you're overtraining and you need to take a break or switch something up.
    I see, but if they were "over training", and then took a few days completley off and fully recovered, they would no longer be over training?

a proper diet would speed up recovery (obv would do other things aswell), avoiding over training, but that would be more or less doing the same thing as taking a extra few days off every once in a while.

so it wouldnt be over working, it would be under resting for long periods of time.

so what it would really come down too, is not how often you work a muscle, or how heavy, or how much volume, but if you give it enough rest to recover once the "over training" is over.

so in theory, a person could train the same muscle group hard, and with allot of volume, for 3-4 days in a row, followed by enough time off to recover, and not be over training..

where as a person could train a muscle group every other day, or every 3rd day, and be over training, because he never gave him self enough time off for his body to over compensate and grow in size and strength. because he continually breaks down more muscle before he allows it to recover, and just builds up fatigue to the point that his gains could start going backwards after enough time.

but if he was to train a muscle every other day for, say, a period of 2 weeks, and then follow it with 5-6 full days off, that wouldnt be over traning.

so the real problem with over training IMO, isnt how much work, or how often its done, but if the person is clever enough to know when its time to take extra time off.

theres allot of teens here asking questions like, is training chest 2 days in a row over training? can i do another 5 sets per back on back day, or is that over training? etc.

and allot of people would say, yeah thats over training.

but in reality, is it really over training if they adjust their diet and rest time to suite the extra demand they put on their body? no.

anyone see any flaws in this logic?

KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Widge View Post
    i know im overtaining when i am sore pretty much constantly even tho im only lifting 3x a week, i feel tired often and lack motivation + stregnth is down or at best plateaud

this usually co-insides at about 7-10 weeks of hard training.

edit- well maybe im not overtraining, but i need to deload my CNS at this point
    you can't overtrain lifting 3x a week.

KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000) KRILLEN91 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by lertno View Post
    no that just means your not making linear progression each week and linear progression slows down a lot the longer you lift. Going by your theory everyone would be benching, squatting and deadlifting 55000000000000lbs unless they're 'overtraining'.

Originally Posted by NeoginCF View Post
    overtraining is training in such a way that you destroy your body instead of building it
    but thats what training is... training is destroying your body, and then your body building its self back up stronger.

so in theory the harder you tear your self down, the more your body will over compensate to avoid having the same problem again.

i guess the question would be how much is too much volume/weight/frequency, but when you take into account that your body WILL recover given enough time, food, etc, its very hard to answer that question.

Originally Posted by KRILLEN91 View Post
    no that just means your not making linear progression each week and linear progression slows down a lot the longer you lift. Going by your theory everyone would be benching, squatting and deadlifting 55000000000000lbs unless they're 'overtraining'.
    agreed