Thread: Getting Started

RecoomeKick is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Getting Started

After five years working in a factory I've finally burnt out and I want to pursue the one job I've ever been able to see myself "loving", personal training. I haven't signed up for courses (when I do it will be through NASM) and I was wondering what topics would be best for me to get a grasp on before hand?

I was also wondering about the current market. How are you guys going? Hearing how extremely competitive the field is, that globo-gyms pay very low wages and that I will have to purchase my own benefits have all been justifications I've given myself for not pursing this. Are you guys dealing with these same issues and would you recommend this job to a person who was passionate about it?

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Concerning certificates, there is a sticky. Read it.

It sounds cliched, but really you do make your own market. There are successful trainers in poor and low-populated areas, and failed trainers in well-off and busy areas. Location does make a difference, as does the economy as a whole, but... the most significant variable is you.

jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jwarrenfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I’m being optimistic I would say just under 10% of people who get into personal training are actually able to do it full time for a living. Out of that 10% maybe 1% is making good money like 120k+. So make sure it’s something you are really passionate about and assume you won’t make much money for a while. With that being said I’ve made over 110k each of the last 3 years and while I certainly think highly of myself there’s nothing so extraordinary about me that other people can’t be just as or more successful. When you do your passion the world has a serpendipidous way of opening up further opportunities
    ig- jwarrenfit

always respond to pms

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Always good to pursue your passion

Originally Posted by RecoomeKick View Post
    After five years working in a factory I've finally burnt out and I want to pursue the one job I've ever been able to see myself "loving", personal training. I haven't signed up for courses (when I do it will be through NASM) and I was wondering what topics would be best for me to get a grasp on before hand?

I was also wondering about the current market. How are you guys going? Hearing how extremely competitive the field is, that globo-gyms pay very low wages and that I will have to purchase my own benefits have all been justifications I've given myself for not pursing this. Are you guys dealing with these same issues and would you recommend this job to a person who was passionate about it?
    I am doing a smiler route. I was pursuing a degree in kinesiology former to deciding to go the certification route.Either way it will get you to a similar path. However the best personal trainers are not always the ones with the college degrees. There is a lot of basic exercise science and anatomy and physiology. I would recommend prior to getting the book(s) to defamiliarize yourself with some basic biology specifically pertaining to the different energy systems. For example learning about ATP and how it will not be used specially to know in depth but how you will use it indirectly with clients training especially with hypertrophy or strength as being a main goal. Focus on the certification first then the job later. Also I know NASM has a money back guarantee if you dont find a job soon after getting certified.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class