HollaAtMeSon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best way to increase Squat Max?

To increase my squat max, would it be better if I do low weight, but go very far down for 5-10 reps, or just like medium weight, medium down, heavy weight, medium-not that far distance down? Lately I've been going pretty light very far down, such as 135-155, and a set of 185 to like medium... thanks.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    squat deep dude. for most people, as the weight increases, they start cutting them high (very high in most cases)

so try to keep your depth the same regardless of the weight (always below parallel)

so that being said.. if we do box squats, or just parallel squats for a football combine in about 7 months, will squatting deep help me more? even if we do box squats?

PurpleDro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's okay to not go too deep all the time.. Easier on your knees. You'll find your quads "catching" the weight when you don't go all the way down. It's good sometimes, I think.. And as for weight, vary it quite a bit - heavy, medium, and light.

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PurpleDro View Post
    It's okay to not go too deep all the time.. Easier on your knees. You'll find your quads "catching" the weight when you don't go all the way down. It's good sometimes, I think.. And as for weight, vary it quite a bit - heavy, medium, and light.
    i have a feeling someone in this thread does quarter squats....

Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post
    Oh gasp.. who do I believe? I've always heard ass to grass, but.... ya.. I heard not giong ass to grass can cause muscle imbalance? unless this random trainer that goes into our school ggym every once in a blue moon was lieing to me? saying doing only box squats and not going low might actually make you slower?

Originally Posted by HollaAtMeSon View Post
    Oh gasp.. who do I believe? I've always heard ass to grass, but.... ya.. I heard not giong ass to grass can cause muscle imbalance? unless this random trainer that goes into our school ggym every once in a blue moon was lieing to me? saying doing only box squats and not going low might actually make you slower?
    I have no idea about the height of your box, so I can't really say.

going "A2G" is often unnecessary, a squat means the crease of your hips is below the knee joint. do this and you are fine.

I have no idea about the height of your box, so I can't really say.

going "A2G" is often unnecessary, a squat means the crease of your hips is below the knee joint. do this and you are fine.
    Alright, well perhaps what I consider ass to grass is only parallel. lol. cuz really when I feel like I'm going ass to grass now (I used to do "quarter squats" or "box squats), I'm probably only going parallel.

Originally Posted by HollaAtMeSon View Post
    Alright, well perhaps what I consider ass to grass is only parallel. lol. cuz really when I feel like I'm going ass to grass now (I used to do "quarter squats" or "box squats), I'm probably only going parallel.
    you'll know you're going ass to grass if you literally feel that you're bouncing off your hams/glutes when they hit your calves... do you know what this feels like? if not, you are not going true atg

PurpleDro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hah, no, not even.. I squat ATG or close to it for the most part, but you don't know what I mean..? It's comparable to occasionally not touching your chest on bench.. Your pecs will kind of "catch" the weight, rather than coming to a point where you're too deep..

Originally Posted by PurpleDro View Post
    Hah, no, not even.. I squat ATG or close to it for the most part, but you don't know what I mean..? It's comparable to occasionally not touching your chest on bench.. Your pecs will kind of "catch" the weight, rather than coming to a point where you're too deep..
    the word "catch" is throwing me off here... cant understand what you mean.

of course there is more quadriceps involvement when you squat high, because the hams/glutes mainly come into play in the lower portion of the lift..

Lifting with Power allergic2rice's Avatar
    allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000) allergic2rice is a name known to all. (+5000)
    op, for now the best thing to increase your squat. that's it.

doesn't matter what rep scheme you do, 3x8, 5x5, 2x10, 3x12, whatever. doesn't matter.

as long as you are consistent, know proper form, and eating right, you will add pound after pound to your squat at this level.
    Forum Representative
    Next Generation Nutrition
    http://www.glyco-energy.com/

***Los Angeles MISC Crew***

www.strengthsociety.com
    Powerlifting, Nutrition, Mobility

wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wirelessg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    try squating 3 times a week 3x5, see if that helps, its working for me so far in the mark rippetoes program
    Before you achieve, you must believe

Originally Posted by wirelessg View Post
    try squating 3 times a week 3x5, see if that helps, its working for me so far in the mark rippetoes program
    Alright, thanks. My partner and I decided to do it 3 times a week, 3-4 sets starting last week. I really hope I improve a lot, because a lot of kids in our gym squat once a week, if at all.

LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000) LukeN.Good is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to squat heavy, train heavy - it's pretty straightforward.
    (Without sacraficing form, that is. Many people advocate perfect form yet still fail to live up to it.)

squat deep dude. for most people, as the weight increases, they start cutting them high (very high in most cases)

so try to keep your depth the same regardless of the weight (always below parallel)
    ^This alone actually helped me a lot. By the time I went for a parallel max I was surprised as hell at how easy it was and how short of a distance it seemed compared to when I actually trained at parallel.

Over the summer I tried an interesting routine, particularly emphasizing my squats. On Day 1 I would begin with back squats (standard squats) and proceed to work my hamstrings and on Day 4 I would begin with front squats and then continue working my quads. All squats were done ATG, heavy, and with perfect/controlled form:

Day 1 (Monday): Back Squats + Hamstrings
    Day 4 (Thursday): Front Squats + Quads

(I ended up adding nearly 50 lbs. to my parallel squat and a good deal of mass to my legs. It worked well for me and may also be another method worth considering.)
    Waging war against misinformation!

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't worry about the weight just squat deep and heavy and your legs will grow and you'll get stronger.