Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can someone explain how eating fat as a fuel source over carbs makes you leaner?

The only book I have ever read about nutrition/exercise is Body for Life, as I'm sure many people have read. The book has the palm/fist method for carbs/proteins for every meal. I ate this way and went from 335 lbs down to 237 as of today.

I have read on the Palumbo thread and in other threads involving Gironda's strategies. Both of these guys say that you will be leaner if you eat fat for fuel as opposed to carbs. I read a story about Vince Gironda saying how he laughed at bodybuilders who ate rice, oats, pasta, bread etc and were trying to get lean.

I always thought that carbs were the main fuel source for the body, which is why I never second guessed Body for Life. The more information I read, the more curious I become about progress.

My goal is to cut down from 20% to <10%.

I'm hoping I can get some answers from people who are more knowledgeable and who may have cut down this low as well.

I do care about health and would rather do it the healthy way even if the process takes longer, than by going a quick fix way.

Thanks.

charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10) charlie335 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump.

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    They don't, anyone who says different is spewing bull****

if the calories match of course

Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000) Zelda55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    well if you eat the right kind of nuts...walnuts for example have omega-3 fatty acids, which have some beneficial properties for weight loss. in general moderate amount of nuts + fruit is a better combo than heavy grains because it's lighter in calories and keeps you full along with better vitamins though.

I wish I could find that article on Vince Gironda's strategies. He said some days he ate 36 whole eggs and that's it. And lookin at the ratio maybe he is talkin keto?? I'm not really sure...just want to go the most optimal route.

everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post

Strong broscience.

OP:
    Our metabolism is primarily regulated by 2 hormones. Insulin and Epinephrine. When you eat carbohydrates your blood glucose level increases. When this happens insulin is released. Insulin transports glucose to either muscle cells or fat cells. This happens 30 minutes after eating carbs. A few hours later your blood glucose level decreases. Here is when the hormone that is responsible for ''fat burning'' kicks in. Epinephrine is released in response to the low blood glucose level and initiates beta oxidation (fat burning). However, if you eat fats, dietary fats are simply emulsified by bile salts released in your intestines and the fats are absorbed then transported to your adipose tissue. Even though fats are more easily converted to triacylglycerides (adipose ''fat'' tissue) it doesn't not increase your blood glucose level, so epinephrine is still being released into your blood stream and beta oxidation is still occuring.

I wouldn't eat fats much though, I would definitely prefer to replace fats with protein since you need amino acids. *Edit* I have actually reduced my carbohydrate consumption vastly (from ~200g to ~30g per day) and over the last few months I have dropped a good amount of weight.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by everblue; 11-16-2009 at 06:47 PM.

isn't <30g carbs a day going into ketosis?

RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by everblue View Post
    Strong broscience.

OP:
    Our metabolism is primarily regulated by 2 hormones. Insulin and Epinephrine. When you eat carbohydrates your blood glucose level increases. When this happens insulin is released. Insulin transports glucose to either muscle cells or fat cells. This happens 30 minutes after eating carbs. A few hours later your blood glucose level decreases. Here is when the hormone that is responsible for ''fat burning'' kicks in. Epinephrine is released in response to the low blood glucose level and initiates beta oxidation (fat burning). However, if you eat fats, dietary fats are simply emulsified by bile salts released in your intestines and the fats are absorbed then transported to your adipose tissue. Even though fats are more easily converted to triacylglycerides (adipose ''fat'' tissue) it doesn't not increase your blood glucose level, so epinephrine is still being released into your blood stream and beta oxidation is still occuring.

I wouldn't eat fats much though, I would definitely prefer to replace fats with protein since you need amino acids. *Edit* I have actually reduced my carbohydrate consumption vastly (from ~200g to ~30g per day) and over the last few months I have dropped a good amount of weight.

Hope this helps
    Strong ignorance of physics in this one

everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) everblue has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    isn't <30g carbs a day going into ketosis?
    Yeah. Your body will produce ketones because neuron cells can only use glucose and ketone bodies for energy. Low carbs will cause ketone bodies to be produced so your brain can have energy to function.

Please elaborate where I am wrong. You can find everything that I have said in a Biochemistry textbook, or I could provide some .edu sources if you do not have a Biochemistry textbook . Also, I still have my undergrad Physics textbook so if you could point out which chapter I seem to have forgotten I will reread it and correct my error (if there is one )

Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Champ3113 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wont you lose weight either way since you would be -500 from maintainence?

Originally Posted by Champ3113 View Post
    wont you lose weight either way since you would be -500 from maintainence?
    Depends on your genetics. The BMR calculators that you find on here calculate the average. Some people's enzymes are more functional than others

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    U heard bout dem inzulinz brah?
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

Please elaborate where I am wrong. You can find everything that I have said in a Biochemistry textbook, or I could provide some .edu sources if you do not have a Biochemistry textbook . Also, I still have my undergrad Physics textbook so if you could point out which chapter I seem to have forgotten I will reread it and correct my error (if there is one )
    Your body cannot destroy or create energy

Now think it through now, you have two isocaloric(in a caloric deficit), isonitrogenous diets, but one is high carb, one is low carb, which will make one leaner?

Your body cannot destroy or create energy

Now think it through now, you have two isocaloric(in a caloric deficit), isonitrogenous diets, but one is high carb, one is low carb, which will make one leaner?

Lol, our body is not the only place the law of conservation of mass and energy applies (which by the way is not physics, it's chemistry )

One would lose more weight on the low carb diet

mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Lol, our body is not the only place the law of conservation of mass and energy applies (which by the way is not physics, it's chemistry )

Well from what i research for 4 years of working out, yes if you eat the correct fats i mean like nut fat, fish fat and you will lose weight. N yes carbs are important, you can try to cut all carbs for a month n see what kind of health you will be in the next month lol. Carbs are good, the are amazing for a preworkout so that you get enough enegry to pump iron, run etc.. without them you won't be able to lift or even walk. You will feel dizzy etc.. You just don't want excessive carbs dont like shove 1 whole pizza down your throat everyday then you would fine. Like a white bread sandwhich before workout is the best, and post workout. If your not a professional bodybuilder than eating fruits at nite won't make you fat either. Just make sure you diet is sensible, then you will be fine.

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mrying View Post
    Well from what i research for 4 years of working out, yes if you eat the correct fats i mean like nut fat, fish fat and you will lose weight. N yes carbs are important, you can try to cut all carbs for a month n see what kind of health you will be in the next month lol. Carbs are good, the are amazing for a preworkout so that you get enough enegry to pump iron, run etc.. without them you won't be able to lift or even walk. You will feel dizzy etc.. You just don't want excessive carbs dont like shove 1 whole pizza down your throat everyday then you would fine. Like a white bread sandwhich before workout is the best, and post workout. If your not a professional bodybuilder than eating fruits at nite won't make you fat either. Just make sure you diet is sensible, then you will be fine.
    Not only is this extremely hard to read, it seems to be mostly wrong from what parts I can understand.

Conservation of energy, it is a physics principle, and the fact you chose the low carb diet shows you don't understand that principle one bit

mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrying has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by phoenixr2 View Post
    Not only is this extremely hard to read, it seems to be mostly wrong from what parts I can understand.
    Well you can think lol, for the most part everything and research i have follow and seem to work for me. Here just a suggestion.

Conservation of energy, it is a physics principle, and the fact you chose the low carb diet shows you don't understand that principle one bit

It's a principle in chemistry and physics, I was being a smart ass since my undergraduate degree is in Chemistry.

Sounds like you don't understand the fundamentals of Biochemistry.

N yes carbs are important, you can try to cut all carbs for a month n see what kind of health you will be in the next month lol.
    I have had <30g of carbs a day for the past 3 months and I have lost over 40lbs.

Carbs are good, the are amazing for a preworkout so that you get enough enegry to pump iron, run etc.. without them you won't be able to lift or even walk.
    I'm sorry, but this is absolutely false.
    Last edited by everblue; 11-16-2009 at 09:08 PM.

It's a principle in chemistry and physics, I was being a smart ass since my undergraduate degree is in Chemistry.

Sounds like you don't understand the fundamentals of Biochemistry.

I
    Quite the contrary, you seem to think the body simply creates energy in a caloric deficit due to carbohydrates

Quite the contrary, you seem to think the body simply creates energy in a caloric deficit due to carbohydrates
    The body does create energy when insulin levels are low and epinephrine levels are high. This causes beta oxidation of triacylglycerides. Potential energy from the bonds of the fatty acid chains is converted into kinetic energy

There is ABSOLUTELY no other way you can lose fat except through the beta oxidation pathway. This pathway is only activated when epinephrine levels are elevated. Please take the time to reread what I mentioned earlier.

Originally Posted by everblue
    Cut all those carbs in diet, wat a life you have.
    Yep. Becoming a doctor is great. Feels good man.

Sucks to be you when you see people eating pizza and all those good food and your like i have to stick to my no carb diet so i will not eat anything that has carbs.
    Sorry "brah" I dont live to eat, I eat to live.

wat do you eat? beef, chicken all day long.
    I don't eat red meats. Is this all you think contains protein? How ignorant can you be? Seriously.

You will die from kidney failure for exessive protein LOL
    Yes, because drinking a lot of water with protein will cause people to die from kidney failure. Got more broscience for us?
    Last edited by everblue; 11-16-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hysterikal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ... Skipping actual discussion of the question at hand and insulting the other poster's appearance is obviously the way to win an argument? not supporting either but really... wtf are you talking about if you were as "smart", you wouldnt be a tub? because every intelligent person obviously are fit healthy and keep track of their appearance amiright? Einstein should be lean and ripped to mf'ing shreds if your logic applies.

lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50) lbendall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Rule Number 1 : Only take fatloss advice from people in shape or USED to be fat

Im sure there are some fat dudes that have excellent knowledge but puting that into practice and been sucessful is a different story.....

Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50) Demonsbane will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Low carb route is the only thing that works for me.

Regardless of your body type - controlling your carb intake is absolutely critical to get lean. If you're an ecto you'll need more carbs and if you're an endo your body naturally needs less carbs.

glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10) glen666 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Low carbs you will drop a lot of weight if you have had plenty of carbs in your diet until this point. Its all water manipulation though low carbs will make you body lose water weight and this is why the fad of low carb come about, this can also make you look flat and muscle smaller.

Calories in vs out is the only way to make long term progress, I used carb cycling for the last part of my cut as it helped me lose the last few lbs and I put this down mostly to better control of calories.

It is true that carbs or high GI carbs can spike your insulin but eaten with proteins and fats this is not the case.

Carb munipulation is great for cutting tricks but when bulking they are important.

Originally Posted by lbendall View Post
    Rule Number 1 : Only take fatloss advice from people in shape or USED to be fat
    Only take advice from people who are in shape or used to be fat? That "rule" is retarded. For one thing people that have always been in shape only have experience with either bulking or losing a few pounds. I've lost 67lbs total and I'm still fat, yeah, probably shouldn't listen to me cause I dunno wtf i'm talking about.... You're right, OP would be better off taking advice from someone who have lost 5-10 lbs and has their phd in broscience....

The body does create energy when insulin levels are low and epinephrine levels are high. This causes beta oxidation of triacylglycerides. Potential energy from the bonds of the fatty acid chains is converted into kinetic energy

There is ABSOLUTELY no other way you can lose fat except through the beta oxidation pathway. This pathway is only activated when epinephrine levels are elevated. Please take the time to reread what I mentioned earlier.
    You don't understand, conversion is not creation. Your body cannot CREATE energy out of thin air. If you are in a deficit, it is a deficit, period. Your body will always find ways to fuel itself, regardless of insulin, which is strongly regulated in healthy individuals anyway.

Fearing Chuck Norris! Nutshell20's Avatar
    Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nutshell20 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by glen666 View Post
    Low carbs you will drop a lot of weight if you have had plenty of carbs in your diet until this point. Its all water manipulation though low carbs will make you body lose water weight and this is why the fad of low carb come about, this can also make you look flat and muscle smaller.

Calories in vs out is the only way to make long term progress, I used carb cycling for the last part of my cut as it helped me lose the last few lbs and I put this down mostly to better control of calories.

It is true that carbs or high GI carbs can spike your insulin but eaten with proteins and fats this is not the case.

Carb munipulation is great for cutting tricks but when bulking they are important.
    Very well said, long term progress should be every persons goal. I couln't imagine never eating carbs again. Keeping my calories at a certain point is much easier.
    You're not fooling anyone.

alanaragonblog.com - He has forgotten more than most will ever know.

BTK-BLEED TIME KREW!

Inuendo? In HER end Oh! PickItUp's Avatar
    PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000) PickItUp is just really nice. (+1000)

This is correct. The method of the diet is almost negligible. A diet is successful only when Caloric consumption is below maintenance. And by maintenance, I mean the total number of Calories you burn whether it be sexing your mate, playing rugby, or even cooking. Your typical diet that is specialized is a way of fooling you to eat fewer Calories without coming right out and telling you that you must sacrifice.

Nobody buys "sacrifice" from anyone else. You can't sell "sacrifice".
    Mark these words in the annals (no homo) of bodybuilding.com.
    8===D~~~ (.Y.)

You don't understand, conversion is not creation. Your body cannot CREATE energy out of thin air. If you are in a deficit, it is a deficit, period. Your body will always find ways to fuel itself, regardless of insulin, which is strongly regulated in healthy individuals anyway.
    You can argue semantics all you want, but that's not going to prove that the information that I have given is incorrect (like you said it is). Please provide sources proving what I said was incorrect:

Originally Posted by everblue

If you cannot do this, then you are clearly just upset that I called you out on your broscience.