Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000)

Why do i get bloated when i eat oats?

When i eat oatmeal my stomach gets rly bloated and uncomfortable. Even if i just make 1/2 a cup and eat it this will happen. Anyone have any ideas of why this happens? Is it bad for me to continue eating oats? Is there any way to stop this from happening when i eat oats or atleast make it not as bad as it is?

Middle-Aged Computer Nerd SpiderJerusalem's Avatar
    SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You might be eating whole oats, which are typically harder on the stomach than the "rolled" kind. But even the rolled oats are a problem for many people, even in small quantities.

I used to *love* oatmeal. I mean, I would eat it at almost every meal. But then I found that it was causing me to feel bloated most of the day. The problem is that oats are full of fiber. A lot, actually, and that fiber sits there in your gut fermenting as your body attempts to break it down enough to be able to pass it through your system. Yes, there is such a thing as too much fiber, and contrary to what various industry lobbyists/propaganda and the gub'mint "experts" would have you believe, most people in this country get too much fiber. But anyway, you could try switching to the "rolled" variety (has a finer consistency) if you're using whole oats, and if that's not the case, try avoiding them for several days and see how much better you feel. You may find that you'd prefer finding an alternative food staple.
    Using:

Scivation XTEND, 4 scoops (pre/during workout);

-----------------------------------------------------

"Never underestimate the willingness of human beings to sink to their basest impulses."

jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000) jgreenhaus is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think i am using the small kind, they are quaker 1 minute quick oats

SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50) SpiderJerusalem will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jgreenhaus View Post
    i think i am using the small kind, they are quaker 1 minute quick oats
    Then you're probably not going to find an alternative. Unfortunately that's one of the problems with fiber. Either you'll have to learn to live with it, or find something you can eat/drink that doesn't make you bloat. Personally I like whole milk since I recently discovered I can drink it with no problem (as opposed to "skim" milk, which makes me bloat horribly), but you'll just have to figure out what's best for you through trial and error.
    Using:

"Never underestimate the willingness of human beings to sink to their basest impulses."

bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You could have celiacs disease.

My friend has it and gets bloated with gluten that is in wheat, oats and other whole grains.

Originally Posted by SpiderJerusalem View Post
    Then you're probably not going to find an alternative. Unfortunately that's one of the problems with fiber. Either you'll have to learn to live with it, or find something you can eat/drink that doesn't make you bloat. Personally I like whole milk since I recently discovered I can drink it with no problem (as opposed to "skim" milk, which makes me bloat horribly), but you'll just have to figure out what's best for you through trial and error.
    would it help any if before i blended my shake i blended the oats separately? Or will the fiber affect me the same no matter what

would it help any if before i blended my shake i blended the oats separately? Or will the fiber affect me the same no matter what? and could this definately be the fiber, does anyone else have this happen? or might it be more likely related to an intolerance

slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10) slightlychilly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    try getting a supplement that aids in the digestion of grains and beans-- i just bought one, and it's incredibly helpful with the bloating/gas.

also, drink more water-- eating a lot of fiber can be uncomfortable if you don't have enough fluid in your system!

andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I had the same problem as you.
    I was tested positive for gluten intolerance, and since I have laid off all gluten, my stomach feels great again

would it help any if before i blended my shake i blended the oats separately? Or will the fiber affect me the same no matter what
    You could try the water thing as suggested here, but it never helped with me--you'll still get bloating and gas, just less constipation (yes, excess fiber can lead to constipation by absorbing too much water). Blending the oats differently isn't really going to make a difference--fiber is fiber.

I know the ideas of giving them up sucks, especially since they taste great, but that was the route I had to take. And if you happen to have any predisposition towards Celiac at all (lots of Western/Northern European stock do) then that's another reason you'd want to avoid the grains.
    Using:

Originally Posted by andrewB007 View Post
    I had the same problem as you.
    I was tested positive for gluten intolerance, and since I have laid off all gluten, my stomach feels great again
    how were you tested for it?

andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500) andrewB007 is not very helpful. (-500)
    how were you tested for it?
    I went for a food intolerance test with the following company: www.mdsafrica.net

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Grains... one of the biggest mistakes. Our bodies were never made to ingest grains... Majority of our evolution was brought up on fats and protein. Grains suck and I bloat too... that is why I no longer eat carbohydrates other than Raw Milk veges and some fruits.

Garage Strength
    www.garagestrength.com

Strength Athletes
    www.strengthathletes.com
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

Originally Posted by slightlychilly View Post
    try getting a supplement that aids in the digestion of grains and beans-- i just bought one, and it's incredibly helpful with the bloating/gas.

also, drink more water-- eating a lot of fiber can be uncomfortable if you don't have enough fluid in your system!
    what are the names of some of these supplements that may help with the blaoting from complex carbs/fiber?

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Drink less when you're eating ?
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Harvie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    oats are a heavy food. its normal thats what makes the gooood :P

Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
    i dont think such a small amount is supposed to bloat me as much as it does, or atleast i doubt that its normal because sucha large amount of people wouldnt eat them if it was normal

bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigbrutis2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    got aids?

today i tried beano, but im not sure it helped though i couldnt be sure as i was still bloated from eating some the day before. Once im not bloated ill try eating some with a few beano pills but if that doesnt work i may just have to stop eating the stuff i dont know why it affects me like this hopefully its just the fiber and not an intolerance

Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
    I agree with you 100%. There is nothing like a protein shake and oatmeal after my morning workout! Not to be gross, but I've passed some of the most quality/amazing stools because of Oatmeal!

Originally Posted by Goonerman007 View Post
    I agree with you 100%. There is nothing like a protein shake and oatmeal after my morning workout! Not to be gross, but I've passed some of the most quality/amazing stools because of Oatmeal!
    yes, but do you get bloated after eating just a small amount of oats?

no, because we dont have aids and celiacs

Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Goonerman007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yes, but do you get bloated after eating just a small amount of oats?
    To be honest with you, I don't. I think it depends on how you prepare the oats. Maybe not. Who knows.

Everybody is different, and if I got overly bloated, perhaps I too would visit a doctor. And if everything was fine, and I was still bloated, I would not consume the oats.

But the stools are just too amazing!

samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samcanadian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to be bloated after eating oats until i started blending them along with my protein powder in my BLENDTEC (tm) before adding the ice cubes, water and PB.

Don't get bloated anymore, and I throw a full cup of oats in.

Originally Posted by samcanadian View Post
    I used to be bloated after eating oats until i started blending them along with my protein powder in my BLENDTEC (tm) before adding the ice cubes, water and PB.

Don't get bloated anymore, and I throw a full cup of oats in.
    hmmm well i did blend it and i took a beano yesturday before drinking my shake but i still felt bloated, though i may have been still bloated from the day before. I really hope its not an intolerance. I eat 2 cups of kashi golean every morning is this maybe giving me too much fiber and promoting bloating or should i go back to the doctor even though he couldnt help me last time

Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by studlete View Post
    Grains... one of the biggest mistakes. Our bodies were never made to ingest grains... Majority of our evolution was brought up on fats and protein. Grains suck and I bloat too... that is why I no longer eat carbohydrates other than Raw Milk veges and some fruits.

Garage Strength
    www.garagestrength.com

Strength Athletes
    www.strengthathletes.com
    LOL

If the body wasn't meant to consume carbohydrates then it wouldn't be able to digest them!

blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ian_B View Post
    LOL

If the body wasn't meant to consume carbohydrates then it wouldn't be able to digest them!
    yeah fruits and vegetables. A lot of people have intolorance to grains and don't even realize it.
    mens sana in corpore sano

Originally Posted by blumski View Post
    yeah fruits and vegetables. A lot of people have intolorance to grains and don't even realize it.
    so do you think this could be an intolerance? i did blend the oats in my shake and i took a beano yesturday before drinking my shake but i still felt bloated, though i may have been still bloated from the day before. I really hope its not an intolerance. I eat 2 cups of kashi golean every morning is this maybe giving me too much fiber and promoting bloating or should i go back to the doctor even though he couldnt help me last time

if i tried an elimination diet for like gluten if fiber was the problem then how would i differentiate between the two ? Is there like some surefire test they can do to identify a intolerance?

blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000) blumski is just really nice. (+1000)
    so do you think this could be an intolerance? i did blend the oats in my shake and i took a beano yesturday before drinking my shake but i still felt bloated, though i may have been still bloated from the day before. I really hope its not an intolerance. I eat 2 cups of kashi golean every morning is this maybe giving me too much fiber and promoting bloating or should i go back to the doctor even though he couldnt help me last time

if i tried an elimination diet for like gluten if fiber was the problem then how would i differentiate between the two ? Is there like some surefire test they can do to identify a intolerance?
    If it was me I would cut out oats completely. If this fixes it you could slowly add a small amount to see if you can tolerate any at all. I believe a lot of people with gluten intolerance have problems with oats also, so it could be a combo of both. Maybe too much fiber. Unfortunately you will have to eliminate things from your diet by trial and error until you figure out what bloats you. Personally I don't do well with oats period. I can however handle a few pieces of wheat toast. I get most of my fiber from nuts, seeds and fruit. Hope this helps somewhat.
    mens sana in corpore sano

Originally Posted by blumski View Post
    If it was me I would cut out oats completely. If this fixes it you could slowly add a small amount to see if you can tolerate any at all. I believe a lot of people with gluten intolerance have problems with oats also, so it could be a combo of both. Maybe too much fiber. Unfortunately you will have to eliminate things from your diet by trial and error until you figure out what bloats you. Personally I don't do well with oats period. I can however handle a few pieces of wheat toast. I get most of my fiber from nuts, seeds and fruit. Hope this helps somewhat.
    what can i replace oats with in my pwo shake then? I have been using oats+ a banana for carbs