Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dasheik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Mixing Crossfit and bodybuilding.. Is it possible.

Ok- first off, I'm not here to promote or start arguements on CF or BB style workouts.
    I have been training for about 12 years now. I have always done periodizaion training with the belief that this is the best way to put on muscle. I still beleive that. (always mxing up reps, sets, speed of reps and excercises of course).

Also, I always had good results banging out 20-30 minutes of cardio after the workouts. A typical gym session is about 60-80 minutes.
    I tried CF about a year ago and although I love it I feel like I am losing muscle. I am going back to my old gym this week but I want to stick with CF as well.

Is there anyway i can do both? the hesitation I have is after a heavy chest day in the gym or any bodypart for that matter, doing a CF type workout that may consist of 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 sit up and 100 squats. I'm not to concerned about the cost of doing both so I dont need any replies on that aspect of it.
    Although a few guys at my CF gym are very fit, they wont be turning heads on the beach.I just need some non biased advice.
    please excuse typos.
    Thanks

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Although probably well-intentioned, this thread will not end well.

Sure you can mix the two, OP. It's your training; do whatever you feel will get you to your goals.

Past that, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here.
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 11-16-2009 at 09:50 AM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Non biased advice is going to be pretty hard to come by

Doing the crossfit style workout will make it pretty hard to add any serious muscle mass for a few reasons.

First you will never have the well rested muscles you need to have a good heavy weight workout and break them down for growth, they will also never really have the time to recover and grow.

second the caloric requirement of that type of training will probably eat any gains you are goign to make. that would require a huge amount of food to support.

Third a croosfit type of workout rarely gets into the rep ranges that lead to either strength or hypertrophy, mostly they are stuck in the endurance range, so all that energy will go into an area that is not productive for your goals assuming you want to achieve a more bulky physique.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Miketoc has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Although probably well-intentioned, this thread will not end well.
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    Non biased advice is going to be pretty hard to come by
    I hope nobody else posts so they're both wrong!

/thread

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Cossfitters mix strength routines with with WOD's (SS+CF). I don't see a BB type routine doing you any service honestly. Between there not being enough rest days and there being little focus on maintaining strength in either of these methods I don't see it mixing well.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Crossfit isnt the best program IMO. Swinging around on bars like idiots, performing terrible form oly lifts to failure, claiming its so hardcore. Its pretty lame.

You can still mix GPP days into your normal workout schedule. In that time you can do circuit training, tire flipping, farmers walks, sled pulling, and much more. Google GPP and check out Elitefts.com for some cool GPP ideas.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

wildtim/suicide

Thanks guys. I think you guys are right. CF doesnt really provide the muscle hypertrophy needed to grow. I can use a few of the WODs for cardio though.

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey man- my situation is sort of similar to yours. I used to only lift weights until I discovered crossfit and fell in love with running. For a few months I would mix up running and crossfit style workouts. I got in really, really great shape, my conditioning is through the roof now. But I went from my usual 180 lb frame to barely weighing 160 lbs. So now I am back to lifting and bulking up, while trying to maintain as much of my conditioning as possible. What I do is, I will lift 3 days a week on non consecutive days. On my other three days in between, i'll do some type of crossfit style workout (five rounds of 400 M run and 20 burpees, for example) or i'll do some kettlebell work, hiit cardio, etc. nothing too crazy just enough to really get the heart going for 10-20 minutes. but as you can see, i'm not doing the crossfit workouts posted on the home page. i dont really personally agree with most of what they post as the WOD, so that is my personal preference to make my own to fit my needs. you could maybe get away with lifting 2 days and doing some hardcore crossfit workouts 2-3 other days of the week, but if you are really looking to pack on muscle, i'd say limit it as much as possible and work on the more cardio specific crossfit WOD's
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"

BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigRick87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I currently train a bodybuilding/power style workout program ( power/rep range/shock) 4-5 days a week, and also include crossfit 2-4 days a week after my p/rr/s workout. This seems to be working just fine for me. I pre select the crossfit workout to use but I still get plenty of intensity.

example. yesterday I did

power week chest which was about 10 heavy sets of pressing movements
    followed by

crossfit
    3 rounds no rest
    benchpress withbodyweight
    max chinups
    squats with body weight

another workout last week I did

my normal back back workout and then

3 rounds for time
    run .25 mile
    15 powercleans x 135
    rope chinupsx8

another example
    on leg and lower back day, every few weeks after my workout I would do

crossfit
    3-5 rounds
    deadlift 275x5
    burpeesx10

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm under the impression that CF is more of a conditioning program than one designed for maximum muscle growth, bodybuilding-style. There is a strength bias CF though, isn't there?
    GOMAD!

JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10) JUST-LIFT is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Dasheik View Post
    Ok- first off, I'm not here to promote or start arguements on CF or BB style workouts.
    I have been training for about 12 years now. I have always done periodizaion training with the belief that this is the best way to put on muscle. I still beleive that. (always mxing up reps, sets, speed of reps and excercises of course).

Also, I always had good results banging out 20-30 minutes of cardio after the workouts. A typical gym session is about 60-80 minutes.
    I tried CF about a year ago and although I love it I feel like I am losing muscle. I am going back to my old gym this week but I want to stick with CF as well.

Is there anyway i can do both? the hesitation I have is after a heavy chest day in the gym or any bodypart for that matter, doing a CF type workout that may consist of 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 sit up and 100 squats. I'm not to concerned about the cost of doing both so I dont need any replies on that aspect of it.
    Although a few guys at my CF gym are very fit, they wont be turning heads on the beach.I just need some non biased advice.
    please excuse typos.
    Thanks
    I think you should be able to do both depending on your frequency / duration. What are the goals that you are trying to achieve? That will drive what you focus on.
    Live life by other's rules and you'll never end up where you want to be.

loseyourname has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can do it; just don't do workouts that involve 100 consecutive reps of anything or any similar workout. Scale the workouts to less reps and more weight. There are a variety of variations on CrossFit that have been made up that downplay endurance and incorporate a strength bias, for exactly the reason you observed: athletes with advanced and elite levels of strength got weaker doing the mainsite workouts. I don't know that you'd ever go from small to huge doing these, but if you're just looking to do the workouts and not get smaller, scale to less reps and more weight or use one of these alternate programs and eat more.

Along the way, ignore the stupid-ass wild claims that Greg Glassman makes and focus on the advice and tweaks of legitimate strength and power athletes who have used or are using CrossFit or some kind of variation.

But if you just want to look good at the beach and you did before, why not stick with what originally got you there?

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here is a great thread I found and bookmarked a few months ago- great information, helped me set up the program I ended up following.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=111530641
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"

RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    interesting. i had been thinking about trying out crossfit along with my normal lifting. guess it might be great to help shred up from time to time. overall goal is to add size, so it may not be the best route to go long term.

microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    crossfit should be used as a cutting phase imo.
    Eat it!!!

Im just a ninja trying to climb a fence

RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50) RiverRock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by microwavable View Post
    seems to be the common thought

scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10) scrappie345 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by microwavable View Post
    you really think itll help you maintain your muscle mass while in a calorie deficit? i kinda thought that if you arent lifting heavy and youre not eating enough cals to maintain size, your muscles wont have a reason to stay big and thus will get smaller
    "There are few things graven in stone except that you have to squat, or you're a pussy."

Thanks

Guys, Thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate it. You guys definetly some good ideas.

microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) microwavable has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    [QUOTE=scrappie345;411669341]you really think itll help you maintain your muscle mass while in a calorie deficit? i kinda thought that if you arent lifting heavy and youre not eating enough cals to maintain size, your muscles wont have a reason to stay big and thus will get smaller[/QUOte

like i said, CF should be used to cut if you take enough protein you should be able to maintain mass but since CF burns so many more calories you can either eat more or it will get you cut faster
    Eat it!!!

Im just a ninja trying to climb a fence

jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jaredmartz88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    [QUOTE=microwavable;411720411]
    Originally Posted by scrappie345 View Post
    you really think itll help you maintain your muscle mass while in a calorie deficit? i kinda thought that if you arent lifting heavy and youre not eating enough cals to maintain size, your muscles wont have a reason to stay big and thus will get smaller[/QUOte

like i said, CF should be used to cut if you take enough protein you should be able to maintain mass but since CF burns so many more calories you can either eat more or it will get you cut faster
    Crossfitter's arent twigs (not that im defending them) alot of those guys maintain a relativly decent size. take rich froning for instance, the dude is a machine. I do agree though with the right amount of carbs, protein and a well maintained diet you could shred up and keep MOST of your size but during any cutting phase muscle loss is inevitable.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Edit: Missed date on this thread.....
    Last edited by Engineer_Guy; 11-12-2012 at 06:55 AM.

wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wisdommaster1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I mix the 2 together OP. I run 5/3/1 and do Crossfit. I go to Crossfit 5x/week (2 days of Oly strength training, 3 days of regular type crossfit metcons and some strength work here and there) I feel like running 5/3/1 is pretty easy to do with Crossfit especially the way my gym does their programming.

Generally Squats and Deadlifts for 5/3/1 are taken care of during Crossfit then I will go and hit Bench/Press on my own. When I go to Gold's gym for Bench/Press I'll also hit the muscles that crossfit fails to hit regularly (Chest/Tris/Bis/Calves)

The biggest key here is to find a Crossfit gym that is a good fit for you and has knowledgeable trainers.

QuentinCassidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

please excuse typos.
    Thanks
    It depends on the body you are aiming for.

For most of the body type that most guys on this forum wants, no it isn't that likely. Crossfit will likely hurt your ability in getting HUGE, just like running/sprinting will be a hindrance as well.

If you are aiming for a build of say 5'9", 180-200 pounds, at sub 10% BF then yes, BB + Crossfit will be fine and help you get those results (along with a great diet of course). (I dunno more James Bond than Thor look? not sure what comparison to use).

It all depends on what your overall goals are.

Your chest won't get used all that much in crossfit, it's mostly Back/Legs/Shoulders. For these body parts, could you do your weight lifting workout after you do your crossfit WOD? You'll be a little sore after your XFit WOD, but the weights should be light enough where you can recover a few hours later and able to do a full lifting session (at least for me it is). For other areas such as Chest, you really won't be burning them out all that much in crossfit...at most it'll be 100 pushups which is still a lot easier than a heavy chest day IMO.

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    FFS THIS THREAD IS THREE YEARS OLD. That is all.
    The floundering has ended.

QuentinCassidy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by grumble1 View Post
    I'm under the impression that CF is more of a conditioning program than one designed for maximum muscle growth, bodybuilding-style. There is a strength bias CF though, isn't there?
    Yes. I don't understand why people think Crossfit is anything different/special. All it is is combing weights/cardio/gymnastics together in a high intensity, low rest combination. All crossfit did was standardize workouts so people could compare their results with others. Look at any professional athlete, all of their workouts are essentially "crossfit" workouts. Look at the programming movie stars go through to quickly get ready for a film...essentially "crossfit" workouts.

If you want to program your own workout like other posters have mentioned, then specifically design your workout to fit your goals. Rich Froning for instance, when he is looking to add strength, he programs his workouts to essentially mirror 5x5 with a crossfit twist. Say 5x5 heavy squats, but in your rest period, do 5x5 heavy bench instead of just standing there. Or perhaps a WOD could be do 7 sets of 1 rep max squats, followed by 3 rounds of supersets SL Deadlift + BW squats.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

please excuse typos.
    Thanks
    Can't you perform your normal/slightly modified training and use supplementary crossfit workouts as conditioning? Like instead of your normal cardio?

paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) paulosantos0922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Can't you perform your normal/slightly modified training and use supplementary crossfit workouts as conditioning? Like instead of your normal cardio?
    This is the best way to do it. I have tried to mix a strength program (Westside) with CrossFit on the same day and got mixed results. The best thing to do is to do them on separate days, like this:

Day 1: ME Upper
    Day 2: DE Lower
    Day 3: Metcon
    Day 4: Rest
    Repeat.

richskinnard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tailor the Workouts

I don't lift purely as a bodybuilder. I lift to increase strength, increase weight/mass and to get into shape. Last summer i started incorporating some CF style sessions into my programme. You can tailor a CF workout to whatever your needs, the truth is CrossFit is just circuit training that has be branded and suddenly people think it is the biggest fitness revolution since bodybuilding or maybe ever. I found that introducing 1 or 2 high intensity circuits/week into my programme was benificial for my goals. I found they helped with my cutting due to the energy requirements of the workout. However as my circuits were based around execises like deadlifts, ring dips, pressing, box jumps, pull ups etc, i didnt see any loss of mass. I mixed up the rep ranges i used (anything from 10-30), sometimes pyramiding up and down etc.

IMO you can introduce a high intensity circuit into your workout to help with your goals but this doesnt mean a circuit consisting of 500 reps of poorly performed movements. I also prefer a 10-30 min intense workout to spending an hour on the treadmill.

So to answer your question, i think yes you can mix them but you have to think about what you want out of it and come up with your own CF workout. There's no point following the CF.com workouts where you perform 50 reps of somethig then run 800m and repeat that 5 times.

SwoleFIT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

SwoleFIT = Crossfit + Bodybuilding

please excuse typos.
    Thanks
    Hey Dasheik; I've actually had the same dilemma myself. After training at a crossfit gym for a few months, I was still unsatisfied with the lack of actual bodybuilding oriented work so I finally devised my own unique workout methodology that combines the two together quite seamlessly and effectively:

Here's my website: swolefit.com (bodybuilding.com won't let me post a direct link since I just joined)

Here's the current version of the template I use: swolefit.com/swolefit-template/ (same as above)

In short,
    Mondays = strength + metcon (shoulders/traps/legs/abs)
    Tuesdays = bodybuilding volume (chest/back/bis/tris)
    Wed= Active recovery (foam rolling + yoga)
    Thursdays = bodybuilding volume (shoulders/traps/legs/abs)
    Fridays = strength + metcon (chest/back/bis/tris)

Check out the website; I post my workouts every day. It's been extremely effective thus far for a balanced training program to develop strength, build muscle size, and mix in conditioning and recovery work. I think you'll like it.

davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000) davidolson22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Arise dead thread, and live again!