Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I aint going down without a fight

Hey guys,
    I need some help.
    I am 52 years young and have been lifting for about 30 years.
    Here is my problem. I have never had to train with a major injury my whole life then this year my family and I were involved in a major car crash (a knuckle head ran a red light in his pick up at 50 MPH and t-boned us). I sustained a torn up shoulder (torn bicep tendon, torn rotater cuff, and a torn labrum), a neck with 2 ruptured disc and a lower back with ruptured discs (L4, L5,S1) which I had repaired with rods, 6 screws, bone transplants). This was done 8 weeks ago and so far I have just doing some light lifting in PT. I have gotten my walking up to 6 miles a day. The Docs want to attack the shoulder after the first of the year (yippee).
    I also have been determined told by the doctors that they want me to lose about 45 pounds.
    This would put me under 200 pound and at 6 foot 1 inch I would blow away in a strong wind.
    What I need is some ideas so I can keep my muscle (hard earned), lean up some (to keep my sugar down) and try to keep the docs happy.
    All the Best and keep punching
    Vaudeville

PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteB will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One suggestion would be to use exercises that hit the muscles w/o straining the joints etc. too much. For one example, see link below (read down to point 5. or so...)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly4.htm

Good luck.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Tough break, OP. Considering your condition, I'm not qualified to advise you, other than to tell you that your Physical Therapist should become your new Best Friend. He/she would be much better suited to help you through this. Good luck; you can do it.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250) christos_swc has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Tough break, OP. Considering your condition, I'm not qualified to advise you, other than to tell you that your Physical Therapist should become your new Best Friend. He/she would be much better suited to help you through this. Good luck; you can do it.
    Agreed.
    Don't worry about your hard earned muscle too much your body doesn't forget.
    You'll get it back in no time when the time is right, you only need to work hard for it the first time.

stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stitchen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i feel for you dude, i took sick and lost hard earned muscle, take it day by day and dont despair.. dont give up and rest assured you will get it back in no time.

good luck mate

is epalhs spelt backward shlape's Avatar
    shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50) shlape will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to hear about your accident.

I mentioned this in another post for someone recovering from cancer. Have you considered Pilates as a way to speed up the healing process, then (slowly) progressively start up-ing the weight? Just an idea.

All the best with your recovery.
    "All I ask is a chance to prove money can't make me happy" - Woody's Chalkboard

Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Raiden1969 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by shlape View Post
    Sorry to hear about your accident.

I mentioned this in another post for someone recovering from cancer. Have you considered Pilates as a way to speed up the healing process, then (slowly) progressively start up-ing the weight? Just an idea.

All the best with your recovery.
    Agree with the others - leave to you PT. Very unfortunate. Thank God you had lifted as long as you had and were in great shape or it might have killed you.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^ this

Best of luck to you OP! We're all pulling for you here.
    Was friends with Methuselah

TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TooSlow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Best wishes in your recovery. I'm curious why the Dr.'s want you to lose so much weight. Is it because they think you'll be inactive for a while? Regardless, my hope is for speedy and as complete as possible rehap.
    Be well and breathe deep.

Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vaudeville has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Hey Gang

Thanks for the response to my earlier post.
    Sorry I have not responded back sooner, but the holidays have been just keeping me way too busy. I hope everyone had a great and safe holiday season
    Here is the latest and greatest..
    The back is doing much better and I have been able to get back to doing light jogging (fast walk) and have been pushing to do 6 miles 3-4 days a week.
    The PT has given me additional core exercises to aid in the back recovery.
    I also have been released to do tris and biceps as much as I want but not too heavy as my bicep tendon may be disconnected from the left shoulder.
    Have not had too much pain curling but not back to the old weight yet.
    Chest can be worked on if I do the old Vince G. bench press and high reps and lower weight.
    Back and Shoulders I have not been cleared to do yet and legs I can only do exorcises that are as much as my body weight.
    I am taking a small holiday cruise (Mexico and West Carrib.) for a week.
    Plan on spending a lot of time in the gym, pool side and eating as much clean food as I can Hey Its paid for all ready.
    Thanks again for all your responses and as always keep punching
    Vaudevill

peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) peter03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    wow, I feel for you man. forget about working out. you need to follow PT advise for now. You dont want to make things worse.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Sounds like you're moving in the right direction. The key for you is to do as much as you are able, within the parameters that your PT has set for you. You can't ask or expect any more out of yourself than that for now.

Remember too, that any progress, no matter how small the increment, is still progress. Good luck with your continued rehab.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

I'mmm Baaaack

Hey Gang
    I hope everyone is starting this new decade hitting the gym eating right and staying out of the cold.
    As I mentioned back Jan. 2 the family and I were able to get out of Dodge on a cruise to some warm weather. Well that weather was not all that warm, sweatshirts at night, and 35 in Miami when we got off the ship.
    It was a good trip though workout and diet wise. I was able to get up and train every morning (not too heavy) and it was good getting back into the gym. I paid pretty close attention to my back and shoulders but the other stuff I blasted away. I also did a great deal of cardio all week. God did it feel great to hang and bang!
    The food sucked but what was eatable was some good BB food (eggs, beef, fish, ice cream)
    I did get some strange looks from the crew and the normal people when I grabbed the 9 eggs, oatmeal and some fruit.
    It was a real mind blower going into the local drug stores (my daughter was sick) and they had all this Deca, Clenb., Test. sitting their taunting me.
    I was tempted but how do you buy it when your holding your 4 year old's hand and of course there are those darn border issues.
    But now I am back looking to get the okay to join a hard core gym or at least start hanging and banging at PT.
    I have been given some bands to do some stuff for the back and PT has discharged me from the back today (just need the docs ok)
    I am rereading this and it seems the trip has done me some good

Hey has anybody tried the BMF supplement line I have tried a few things and it seems to work prettywell. Is there anything better?
    All the Best
    Rob

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would recommend you give this a read:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5676441
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow, so sorry to hear of what happened to you and wish you the best for a full recovery.

There is a lot of good advice here and out of this site, but I would definitely suggest sitting down and plotting and planning with your physical therapist for now to get you back up to speed.

What you can also do is find a physical therapist that is sports/bodybuilder friendly and explain what you would also like to do and achieve. I have had to do this via a sports/rehabilitation clinic, and thought it did involve some searching I did find a doctor that was in sync with what I wanted to maintain and achieve. (Fortunately he was also a ex competitive bodybuilder and was very receptive to my needs.)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Ron III---III
    My favorite part of Bodybuilding is the sleeping because then I don't have to worry about eating all day!! :)

Thumbs up Do or Dont do there is no trying

Hey Gang
    Thanks for all the support
    Things keep getting better day by day.
    I am able to drive do 4-5 miles of a fast walk (not approved for running yet).
    I am using the light weights and bands that I have around the house.
    I am lucky as my PT is a muscle head and is going to let me lift on days that are not my PT days at his business and he and his partner have enough equipment for a start
    I will keep everyone posted
    Everyone is right I needed this kind of PT as the sitting around laying of the hands and singing campfire songs was just bringing me down

thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000) thebigguy1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Vaudeville View Post
    Hey Gang
    Thanks for all the support
    Things keep getting better day by day.
    I am able to drive do 4-5 miles of a fast walk (not approved for running yet).
    I am using the light weights and bands that I have around the house.
    I am lucky as my PT is a muscle head and is going to let me lift on days that are not my PT days at his business and he and his partner have enough equipment for a start
    I will keep everyone posted
    Everyone is right I needed this kind of PT as the sitting around laying of the hands and singing campfire songs was just bringing me down
    That is so good to hear that things are getting better. And I am sure things will get better still!

And I know what you mean about "laying of the hands and singing songs" approach that some take. It may work for some, but for me I would go nuts....got to get out there and slowly but surely push it and make it happen.

Keep us posted, and again congrats and good luck!

Ron III---III
    My favorite part of Bodybuilding is the sleeping because then I don't have to worry about eating all day!! :)

Smile Do or Dont do there is no trying

Hey Gang
    Just got back from PT and I have never been so happy to have someone beat the crap out of me.
    I had shot my Trainer (like this term better) an email that I really wanted to push the lifting on the body parts that are not still messed up.
    Well guess what we had a whole bunch of fun today.
    Using the universal type machine with all the toys I did standing bench press, rows, cable raises, push downs etc. Then we moved to the bench press (hello old friend how are you) and did some straight arm push ups (to work the tie ends between the delts and pecs).
    Then we did some bent over barbell rows which it has been so long since I did them that it felt wonderful (the back did not hurt me at all). We than finished up with some delt and RC exercises.
    I think I took 3 steps today and it"hurt so good".
    I think tonight i will do some abs and stretching.
    Thanks again all for the support
    Vaudeville

That's very encouraging! Stay with it!
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Great News from the Doc

Hey Gang
    I just went to see my wellness doctor who has been overseeing me with the different surgeons. I just saw the doc about a month ago and he was impressed how I was doing at that time. Over the last month I have been able to increase my range of motion and strength and dropped 12 pounds (and this is with a week long cruise in there). I was told that i am doing great (I am still restricted from going back to work) and I might graduate to independent study ( lifting and running) soon. Maybe have the idiot who hit us paying for the gym membership (supplements?).
    No mention about should surgery this time.
    The doc made the comment it is all about the exercise and the weights (Amen!)
    I keep feeling better each day. My bride has about 2 years for her recovery but we keep working on her. She is a hardheaded Irish blonde so she will get there and kick some tail.
    I still have to see the back and shoulder surgeon next couple weeks but so far so good.
    All the Best Gang
    Vaudeville

*remember do or don't do.. there is no try.

Talking More great news

Hey Gang
    Jut saw the back surgeon he doesn't want to see me for at least a year.
    He has given me the go ahead to start training (just listen to your body)
    I just need the shoulder to come around (may not need surgery just more PT).
    I am getting so pumped up may be I can make a Baja trip to the Arnold.

I do have one question and that is what is the best certification to get to become a trainer and nutrition guru.
    I see a lot of people that just get cast adrift after their PT runs out and they are nowhere near where they are supposed to be.
    I know I would be lost if I didn't train for the last 25 years.
    Take care and keep punching