gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto v Dave Palumbo

Hi all

which is generally better, a basic CKD or Palumbo's diet? Palumbo's cutting diet for women seems super strict. but it appeals to me b/c it alternates one day with lower fat/higher protein with two days more keto-style ie. higher fat/lower protein.
    This is taking into account that im NOT in contest prep, just looking to lose fat and inches for the long term.

a couple of questions

1. on palumbo's diet, can u just keep to the macros and eat different things to what he suggested? for example, i hate eggs in the morning so could i instead eat something else but stay within my daily macros?

2. is keto more of a lifestyle whereas palumbo's diet is more pre-contest? i think i could do keto as a lifestyle b/c you can change things up whereas eating the exact same thing seems harder on Palumbo.

3. what are the calorie requirments on Palumbo? i can't see where he outlines how many cals to get per day.

thanks!

0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50) 0ATMEAL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    1. on palumbo's diet, can u just keep to the macros and eat different things to what he suggested? for example, i hate eggs in the morning so could i instead eat something else but stay within my daily macros?

Yes. All meals are interchangeable

2. is keto more of a lifestyle whereas palumbo's diet is more pre-contest? i think i could do keto as a lifestyle b/c you can change things up whereas eating the exact same thing seems harder on Palumbo.

There are people on the palumbo diet for long periods of time and see great results. One of them is a member on here named Goon44 who has been on the diet for 5 months, doesn't do cardio/lift weights and lost 65 pounds.

3. what are the calorie requirments on Palumbo? i can't see where he outlines how many cals to get per day.

There is no calorie requirement. Just make sure to hit your macros and you should be in a calorie deficit. Here are the macros:

1.5 grams of protein x body weight
    .5 grams of fat x body weight
    no direct sources of carbs and try to keep them below 40
    Feel free to ask any other questions : )
    Last edited by 0ATMEAL; 11-12-2009 at 04:54 AM.

gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gilly88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 0ATMEAL View Post

Yes. All meals are interchangable

There are people on the palumbo diet for long periods of time and see great results. One of them is a member on here named Goon44 who has been on the diet for 5 months, doesn't do cardio/lift weights and lost 65 pounds.

There is no calorie requirement. Just make sure to hit your macros and you should be in a calorie deficit. Here are the macros:

1.5 grams of protein x body weight
    .5 grams of fat x body weight
    no direct sources of carbs and try to keep them at 30, some people can be in ketosis at a higher amount but this is whats recommend for the dave palumbo diet.

Feel free to ask any other questions : )
    thanks heaps that was really helpful!

so, for me, a 125lb 5'6 female)

187g protein (748cal)
    63g fat (567cal)
    30g carb max (120cal)
    = 1435kcal.

a couple more questions (!)
    1. i read on here that the macros were something like Diet 1 was 60prot/30fat/10c
    But having those macros you suggested above don't quite conform to that..? it's more like Carb 8%, Fat 40%, Prot 52%.

2. what about 'diet 2' whereby there's supposed to be 'reversed' protein and fat, ie. more fat than protein in macros? like, 60fat/30prot/10c

just a bit confused! thanks

how does change for 'diet 2' ie high fat/low protein?

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    IT doesn't really matter. Palumbo's is a keto diet with a meal plan.

That's it. A meal plan.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Originally Posted by Atavis View Post

That's it. A meal plan.
    sorry atavis - do you mean that Palumbo's diet is simply a keto diet, but that he is giving an example of a meal plan ie. it isn't different from Keto?

that doesnt really solve the problem of whether to go by g of protein/fat per lb of body weight (giving me about 1450kcal) or whether to pick a calorie number (say 1600) and use macros from there....

Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any diet which gets your body into ketosis is a keto diet. Palumbo's diet just has different ratios of protein/fat/carbs.

There is an awesome CKD article which tells you exactly how to do your calculations which I can't link to cuz I don't have 30 posts. Do a search on it and it should come up. Try keywords "CKD keto"

I have no idea which one is "better" under what circumstances so I hope someone can chime in as to whether or not keto/palumbo is better for a specific body type.

Originally Posted by Picklephobia View Post
    Any diet which gets your body into ketosis is a keto diet. Palumbo's diet just has different ratios of protein/fat/carbs.

There is an awesome CKD article which tells you exactly how to do your calculations which I can't link to cuz I don't have 30 posts. Do a search on it and it should come up. Try keywords "CKD keto"

I have no idea which one is "better" under what circumstances so I hope someone can chime in as to whether or not keto/palumbo is better for a specific body type.
    thanks picklephobia.

as you say, i'd like to know if one of these is better for different body types/goals/modes of training etc...

Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brianterz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Everyone is different.. Palumbo may work for one but a regular keto may work for someone else.. In some pople the excess protein in palumbo may keep someone out of ketosis and inhibit fat loss.. Which is why a standard CKD diet is only 1g per lean mass not 1.5g.. also since you want 60-65% of your calories to be from fat. a caloric limit helps make it easier to keep track of..

I would suggest reading everything you can on the subject and pick which one you believe will be easier to stick to.
    THE KETO DIET-- www.bodybuildingdungeon.com/forums/nutrition/2156-ckd-cyclical.html

http://www.coconutoil.com/truth_saturated_fats.htm
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584922,00.html

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A caloric defecit will result in weight loss on both.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

FFMI = 24

Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Picklephobia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As a female I think you should just do keto. I have already had great success with it and lost 1.5lbs of pure fat during my 10th and 12th day after getting into ketosis (I have a body comp analyzer at my gym).

I know when I started I kind of freaked at all the options and tried to decide on the "optimal" diet for a week, time which basically was wasted losing weight.

Keto is a great diet that is true to all its claims for me as of now: generally muscle sparing, carb craving curbing, fat burning. In fact I haven't even looked forward to my carb up day that much I'm so happy on my current diet. Every diet at a caloric deficit will end up in weight loss but because ketosis is aimed specifically for fat loss and so many people have had success with it already, JUST DO IT! And this way you have a whole keto forum of supporters and people to learn from.

The only downside of a low-carb diet (both keto and palumbo are low carb diets) is the first 7-10 days of sluggishness and "brain fog" which wasn't horrible for me but was obviously affecting my mood. Once you get over the hump you feel like super man and once you start shedding the pounds you feel even better.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

That's it. A meal plan.
    yep---and a "new" name.

CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

That's it. A meal plan.
    also he follows the LISS cardio principle and gets lots of natural and pro bodybuilders shredded while doing so.
    Like Brutis...you can do dis.

Originally Posted by CanuckTank View Post
    also he follows the LISS cardio principle and gets lots of natural and pro bodybuilders shredded while doing so.
    This thread was not about HIIT vs LISS, but yes you are correct.

FFMI = 24

CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This thread was not about HIIT vs LISS, but yes you are correct.
    not asying it was, but that is one of his foundation blocks of his diet. It is not only the food or menu.
    Like Brutis...you can do dis.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think a low carb diet with cardio and weight training would give most people good results.