kool11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do i put my body into ketosis and how long will it take?

i just want to know how to get my body in ketosis. pls give me exact detail in what i should eat. im 175lbs with 24 preent bodyfat. looking to get down to around 18 percent body fat and drop weight. thnx

Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To promote Gluconeogenesis, its important to cut down on simple sugars....

Just eat less than however many calories you burn that day, its easy.

There are plenty of articles on the main site, you dont need an exact diet.

If you're concerned about muscle loss, just make sure ur protein intake is nice and high (atleast 0.8g/ib bodyweight), and train hard.

You can safely drop about 1ib of fat per week, maybe 2.
    Last edited by Jaeden; 11-14-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    Join date does not reflect experience.

crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jaeden View Post
    To promote Gluconeogenesis, its important to cut down on simple sugars....

Just eat less than however many calories you burn that day, its easy.

There are plenty of articles on the main site, you dont need an exact diet.

If you're concerned about muscle loss, just make sure ur protein intake is nice and high (atleast 0.8g/ib bodyweight), and train hard.

You can safely drop about 1ib of fat per week, maybe 2.
    Why are you talking about gluconeogenesis? He's asking about keto.

And the basic idea OP is to eat almost no carbs, high protein and high fat. It generally takes about 3 days.

Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jaeden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by crunchfit View Post

And the basic idea OP is to eat almost no carbs, high protein and high fat. It generally takes about 3 days.
    Well isnt Keto just burning fats as energy? In order to do that you need to first convert them to glucose to become ATP?

nvm if i'm wrong, its not my subject.
    Join date does not reflect experience.

crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) crunchfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Jaeden View Post
    Well isnt Keto just burning fats as energy? In order to do that you need to first convert them to glucose to become ATP?

nvm if i'm wrong, its not my subject.
    Yeah sorry you're completely right. I'm answering Qs badly today.

Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000) Teench is just really nice. (+1000)
    You do not need to do keto.
    R.I.P. Frvrmuscle

Goals by end of the year

3 plate bench
    4 plate squat
    5 plate deadlift

caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) caveman711 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Eat less than 40 g carb a day. I am not sure on how long it takes but I do know that Dave Palumbo recommends not refeeding (which is a must) on his diet for the first two weeks and than after that you get to have one refeed (for carbs) once a week.

So by taking into that consideration and me being on the Dave Palumbo diet as we speak for two days. I haven't felt anything so I don't believe I am in ketosis. But I have lost 8 lbs

So, 4-5 days is my best guess.
    ThE AnObOlIc DiEt

Originally Posted by caveman711 View Post
    Eat less than 40 g carb a day. I am not sure on how long it takes but I do know that Dave Palumbo recommends not refeeding (which is a must) on his diet for the first two weeks and than after that you get to have one refeed (for carbs) once a week.

So by taking into that consideration and me being on the Dave Palumbo diet as we speak for two days. I haven't felt anything so I don't believe I am in ketosis. But I have lost 8 lbs

So, 4-5 days is my best guess.
    You don't really feel anything. Maybe more tired for the first few days, but that's all. I spent about 8 weeks on it over the summer and the bodyfat melted away.

so basically eat no carbs and eat chicken and protiien? and it should take me 4 or days to get in keto? what happens once im in keto

Originally Posted by kool11 View Post
    so basically eat no carbs and eat chicken and protiien? and it should take me 4 or days to get in keto? what happens once im in keto
    The main thing is fat. Basically, fat supplies energy, protein builds / repairs muscle.

Google Palumbo's keto diet.

can i achieve a keto diet if i eat chicken protein and maybe a salad every day? how much protien do i need?

Originally Posted by kool11 View Post
    can i achieve a keto diet if i eat chicken protein and maybe a salad every day? how much protien do i need?
    I don't think you know enough about diet to be using keto. Because some of the answers to those questions are quiet basic. Keto isn't beginner friendly.

Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Reps for being in my head and stealing my thoughts.

But as far as ketosis goes, you need to carb deplete. It can be in as little as 24 hours up to 72 hours.

Also, i'm assuming you know nooooo bread ever on keto.

But try to keep your carbs 30-50g 50 absolute max. You can go to walmart and buy ketone test strips that will tell you how far along in ketosis you are.
    Chiefs - Jayhawks -Royals

I rep back u cheeky kunts

I don't think you know enough about diet to be using keto. Because some of the answers to those questions are quiet basic. Keto isn't beginner friendly.
    i know diet pretty well. i just need a basis to start keto because its my first time. can u maybe give me an example of what i should eat for a day. a full daily meal plan. i know that the main part is very limited carbs
    Last edited by kool11; 11-14-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dead.Lift is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Your 15, have 10 posts on this site.

No e-hate but you seem like you don't have a clue what to do.

Use the search tab, It works wonders

/thread
    Chiefs - Jayhawks -Royals

I rep back u cheeky kunts

(no homo) (yes insecure) chiraag's Avatar
    chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    owes me reps:

You. Yes, you.

"Who's Michelle Obama? I thought it was Barrack Obama" - dunkalicious

Bluegrassgreeneyes peterholbrook's Avatar
    peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50) peterholbrook will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you can get a hold of insulin its pretty easy to get into keotosis

Read this:

The premise of the diet is high protein (about 1- 1 1/2 gram per pound), moderate fat (about 1/2 g per lb) and low low carbs (no direct sources of carbs).
    During this diet, the brain goes into ketosis (it uses ketone bodies for energy-- fats) and thus the energy requirements by the body can almost all be
    supplied by fats (which you'll be taking in plenty of). The only activity that uses carbs will be the weight workout which may use 40grams per workout.
    You will get these 40g indirectly through the foods you'll be eating. As a backup, the cheat meal you'll be having once per week will provide a storehouse
    of glycogen (glucose) in case of emergency. So, you see, very little gluconeogenesis in the liver will be occurring. If we keep cortisol low (by
    restricting STIMULANTS) we'll ensure that muscle is spared!

HAVE YOUR CHEAT MEAL ON THE SAME DAY EVERY WEEK, last meal of the
    day so you dont cheat again.

Fiber helps burn fat! Everyone should take fiber 2x per day. Fiber actually helps increase the absorption of calcium.
    When following my diet plan (which includes getting your brain into ketosis), there can be NO starchy carbs eaten!

For a 200lb man:

MEAL #1
    5 whole eggs (make sure to buy OMEGA-3 EGGS from the supermarket. They contain virtually NO saturated fat and tons of good OMEGA-3 fats); add another
    4 egg whites to this (they don?t need to be the Omega-3 ones; you can use liquid egg whites)

MEAL #2
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoon of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar)

MEAL #3
    "Lean Protein Meal": 8oz chicken with 1/2-cup cashew nuts (almonds, or walnuts)

MEAL #4
    SHAKE: 50g Whey Protein with 1 ? tablespoons of All Natural Peanut butter (no sugar added)

MEAL #5
    "Fatty Protein Meal": 8oz Salmon, Swordfish, or RED MEAT with a green salad (no tomatoes, carrots, or red peppers) with 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil or
    Macadamia nut oil and vinegar

MEAL #6
    SHAKE: 50g Whey with 1 ? tablespoon all natural peanut butter or 4 whole (Omega-3) eggs and 4 extra whites

For a 250lb+ man:
    Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
    Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
    Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
    Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
    Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
    Meal 6 6 whole eggs

Remember, it takes 3-4 days to get into a strong ketosis where your brain is using ketone bodies (fats), instead of carbs, for energy. Be patient.

Many times I'll switch to an alternatiing diet where one day it will be protein/fat......then another protein/vegetables (very little fat). The great
    thing about the body and fat is that ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS can be stored in the muscle for several days, up to 2 weeks......therefore, once an adequate
    storehouse of Essential Fats are built up, the body can be "tortured" a little and it still won't give up muscle (that's assuming you're still taking in
    adequate protein. Protein can't be stored).

1oz almonds equals 6g carbs (2 of those grams are fiber) and 2oz equals 12g of carbs.

With the beef meal (any fatty protein meal), you should have the green salad with 1 tablespoon of Olive or Mac oil INSTEAD of the nuts. Only eat the nuts
    with the LEAN PROTEIN MEAL (chicken, turkey, lean fish)

The best fat sources come from the essential fatty acids-- Omega-6 and Omega-3's. Most of us get plenty of Omega-6s from cooking oils, ect..........however
    the Omega-3's are harder to get. I recommend WHOLE OMEGA-3 EGGS, FaTTY FISHS like SALMON and SWORDFISH and TUNA and MACKEREL, ALMONDS and WALNUTS have some
    OMEGA-3's (as well as OMEGA-6s). ANother great fat source is MONOUNSATURATES such as EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL and MACADAMIA NUT OIL.....they aren't essential
    but they are great for the metabolism (great source of energy) and they are extremely good for your heart.

You're not getting any indirect sources of carbs (just from the 1 spoonful of PB.... you may want to have at least one 1/3cup nuts meal. Remember, Olive or
    Macadamia nut oil is predominantly a MONOUNSATURATED FAT (good for the heart, but not essential)........ the nuts, and fish oil have the essential fats
    in them. Also, with regard to FLAX SEED OIL, the OMEGA-3 Fatty Acids found in them (alpha-linolenic acid) has a very poor conversion to DHA and EPA
    (Essential Omega-3 intermediates) in the HUMAN........therefore, you're much better off taking in FISH OILS (that already contain DHA/EPA) than FLAX SEED
    OIL.

Once fat loss slows, I always increase cardio first, then I increase the amount of fat burners (clen, cytomel, lipolyze).........After those other methods
    are exhausted, only then, do I play with the diet.

Always eat BEFORE lifting........never BETWEEN lifting and cardio.
    Artificial Sweetners:
    The artificial sweetener itself (eg. aspartame, sucralose) wont cause a problem. It's what some companies complex it with. For example, EQUAL and SPLENDA
    combine their aspartame and sucrolose with 1g of maltodextrin........whereas, in diet drinks, they don't do that. So, diet drinks are okay, SPLENDA and
    EQUAL must be used in moderation (STEVIA BALANCE is fine though since they use inulin fiber instead of maltodextrin

Forget using:
    -MCT's are a waste when you're dieting. If you're gonna use FATS for an energy source, they might as well serve a function in the body. MCTs are useless.
    They can only serve as a source of energy!
    -Arginine is not going to do anything. It will DO something; just not dramatic.

Cardio:
    CARDIO should be performed at a low intensity (under 120bpm heartrate). This will ensure that you use FAT as a fuelsource since as your heartrate increase,
    carbohydrates begin to become the preferred fuel of choice for the body. When on a low carb diet, you're body will break down muscle and turn that into
    carbs. Remember, Fat CANNOT be changed into carbs. Therefore, for bodybuilding, the rule of cardio should be LONG DURATION, LOW INTENSITY

never do less than 20 min per session

The BOTTOM LINE is that low intensity cardio (while you might need more of it) ensures that fat is utilized and muscle is spared (especially while on my
    high protein/moderate fat/low carb diety).

Do you feel the treadmill is better for cardio, or is the bike(stationary or recumbent) just as good? As long as the intensity is LOW, it doesn't matter
    which piece of equipment you use

Q&A:
    Q: Is gluconeogenesis inevitable in your diet?
    Dave Palumbo: NO

Q: If so do I need to consume more than 1.5 grams of protein per lb of LBM so as not to lose muscle?
    Dave Palumbo: The fat spares the protein....when the brain is in ketosis, the carbohydrate requirements are very very low.

Q: How much (percentage) of my protein intake would be turned into glucose (gluconeogenesis)?
    Dave Palumbo: Very little (maybe 10%)

Q: What do you think of submersion in cold water as a means of burning bodyfat (thermogenesis)?
    Dave Palumbo: HOCUS POKUS!

Q: How about drinking lots of cold water (I think this was even suggested by Elligton Darden) to help lose bodyfat?
    Dave Palumbo: RIDICULOUS

Q: Do you think drinking lots of Green Tea is beneficial to fat loss?
    Dave Palumbo: Somewhat helpful.

Q: How much is the ideal dosage of Omega 3 for a 220 lb. individual ?
    Dave Palumbo: Try to take in about 9g per day

Q: How many Tbs of peanut butter could I have instead of 1/2 cup of cashewnuts?
    Dave Palumbo: 2 tablespoons, two tablespoons of Peanut Butter contains 190 calories and 16 grams of fat (so 1.5 tablespoon equals about 12 grams fat) ...
    whereas......... 2oz (1/3 cup) almonds (about 40 almonds) = 12g fat

Q: I want to add that if I cant find the omega eggs here locally. Can I use international egg whites and just take an omega supplement?
    Dave Palumbo: You can get away with 5 whole eggs (regular ones) once a day........not a big deal. You'll be burning up all that fat anyway.

Q: Whats the max cups # of coffee ( no sugar ) can consume on Dave's diet ?
    Dave Palumbo: Try to limit to 2 cups per day.......I realize that towards the end of the diet you may need more to help you get through the day.

Q: If you cook tilapia in macadamon nut oil?do you coun't the oil as your fat for that meal! Depends how much you use.
    Dave Palumbo: If you just grease the pan with it, no!

Q: what is the protein,carb and fat ratio for offseason
    Dave Palumbo: 50% Protein, 25% fat, 25% carbs

Q: and the ratio for contest prep.
    Dave Palumbo:60% protein, 30% fat, 10% carbs

(no homo) (yes insecure) chiraag's Avatar
    chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50) chiraag will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by peterholbrook View Post
    if you can get a hold of insulin its pretty easy to get into keotosis
    What would push you to do this rather than follow a ketogenic diet?
    owes me reps:

You. Yes, you.

"Who's Michelle Obama? I thought it was Barrack Obama" - dunkalicious