syntaxle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What leg muscle is most important for kicking strength (in Football)?

I always thought that I have quite strong legs for my age/size; I usually can do leg press with about 180kg - 200kg, and I was a 100meter runner for my school.

I was also pretty good at Football (soccer), but the one thing I never seemed to be able to do was kick the ball hard or far. Does anybody know what muscle would be most useful to train for leg power based on the movement you make when kicking the ball? Is it the hamstring? Quad? Calf? Or will all of them affect your power by the same amount?

Cheers

Feen2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think it may be the Hamstring that provides the power for kicking. Though i am not sure, so see what everyone else says first. Overall iff strong in all aspects of legs than your strength and power should be good for kicking.

KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000) KiloNewton is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hip flexors for kickng, but train all the muscles acting on the hip and knee anyway. Being strong won't make the ball go farther, being strong and fast will.

Registered User TheFranchise714's Avatar
    TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TheFranchise714 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    all legs muscles
    "ALL DAY"

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by syntaxle View Post
    I always thought that I have quite strong legs for my age/size; I usually can do leg press with about 180kg - 200kg, and I was a 100meter runner for my school.

I was also pretty good at Football (soccer), but the one thing I never seemed to be able to do was kick the ball hard or far. Does anybody know what muscle would be most useful to train for leg power based on the movement you make when kicking the ball? Is it the hamstring? Quad? Calf? Or will all of them affect your power by the same amount?

Cheers
    I'd first forget about the leg press. That teaches your body to work on rails ("smart like train"). Do lower body work that challenges "all" your muscles and core stability. ( I'm surprised this wasn't taught to you while in sprinting)

A strong kick comes from the co-ordinated effort of your core, glutes, hams and quads. In other words, the whole enchilada. In particular, though, the core. If your core is weak you'll lose most of the power behind the kick. No matter how big your legs are.
    Last edited by tonester; 11-15-2009 at 05:10 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Athasling has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tonester View Post
    I'd first forget about the leg press. That teaches your body to work on rails ("smart like train"). Do lower body work that challenges "all" your muscles and core stability. ( I'm surprised this wasn't taught to you while in sprinting)

A strong kick comes from the co-ordinated effort of your core, glutes, hams and quads. In other words, the whole enchilada. In particular, though, the core. If your core is weak you'll lose most of the power behind the kick. No matter how big your legs are.
    Exactly. Your core is just as important as your legs in the kicking motion.

lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    CORE. Without it you're back will be a mess when you kick. There isn't really a more important muscle in your leg for kicking; they're all equal and need to be conditioned, strong, but more importantly FAST.

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Get intimate with cleans, squats, single leg work, core stability work and plyometrics (jumps) and watch your kicking and all around athleticism improve over 3-6 months.

By the way please get some good coaching where explosive/olympic type exercises are concerned. If done incorrectly they can do serious injury.
    Last edited by tonester; 11-15-2009 at 07:42 AM.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Core (including hips), leg adductors, quads, ankle extensors.

If you'd like I can pass any questions you have along to 2 former DI kickers who are friends of mine.
    Last edited by Jhawk Fitness; 11-15-2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gnarsurf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    like stated core and quads and really all the muscles in the lower body

and get REALLY flexible, being able to bring your leg all the way back and through will help u the most
    ☆☆☆America Fuk Yeah ¢яєω☆☆☆
    -Misc. Surfer Brahs-

haxball-cliveceps

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All leg muscles with a strong core (including back).

Using exercises like squats, front squats, lunges, bulgarian split squats, RDL"s etc. will build strength.

Using exercises like the olympic lifts including db snatches and box jumps, single leg bounds etc will convert the strength to power.

Using exercises such as dynamic stretching (leg swings side to side, forward back ward etc) will develop the central nervous system to perform the kicking movement naturally.

Not to mention.. going out on the field and kicking a lot of Fing balls will help!

Strength Athletes
    http://www.strengthathletes.com
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Be it that I was a former kicker at the beginning of my high school career and soccer player in my youth for about 7 years, I have found that specifically my Vastus Medialis and Vastus Medialis Oblique of my dominant leg are considerably more developed in comparison to the other muscles of my right leg, with respect to the relative size of the same muscles of my left leg.

I am unaware if there is any real correlation for a majority of athletes in this information, but this asymmetry is very prominent to palpation and observation.

Also question for Studlete, was it through your company that Coach X & the Thinker gave a seminar at a high school in New Jersey?
    Last edited by qb0708; 11-16-2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Off-Season Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120401851

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity

Citius, Altius, Fortius

artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) artaxerxes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hip flexors, obliques, and quads

do a lot of wide squats, front squats, narrow high bar squats, weighted russian twists, and some glute-ham sit ups. Forget the leg press cause that only really work the quads and only through a short ROM
    Call me
    Sese Seko Nkuku Ngbendu Wa Za Banga (The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, will go from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake)

First Mirko Crocop, now Mintouro Nogueria......can't they use their full names?

H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000) H-Town-Matt is just really nice. (+1000)
    while having stronger core/lower body in general may help. Technique will always prevail. the majority of footie players are not particually strong, nor powerful. yet can hit the ball with such force.
    Before you insult somebody, first walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.
    Myprotein 5% discount code - MP116644 - Not much off, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

PS3 - Madden 11, F1 2010, COD: BO
    360 - COD4: MW, COD: MW2

syntaxle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers for the comments.

I've been playing Football (soccer) for a football team's A-Team for 10 years now so my technique and mentality in the game is incredibly advanced; I'm also ambidextrous; literally, I measured my level of precision with both feet and I could hit a target on the same spot with my right leg as my left could about 99% of the time (I was naturally left-footed.) But yeah, I was the fastest player on the team and could play both left midfield and right midfield, but like I said I always had one of the weakest kicks despite alot of training on technique.

It must have had something to do with my core then.

Regarding 100meter running; School sports really arn't that competitive in England. I was a 100meter runner for the school because I was fast, and whenever there was a local athletics event I would come representing my school as the 100meter runner, but I wasn't trained by my school teachers or did any gym excercising or anything; I just happened to be fast. I'm hoping now that I've started going to the gym I can get even faster. It's been a while since I last had a race, but I think I averaged about 100meters in 12 - 13seconds.

Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Kicking a football far is about technique above all. I've always been able to kick far as hell, even when I was a fatass kid - I'm sure I had **** core strength then ahaha. Don't get me wrong, get your overall body stronger and it'll help, but improving technique will help the most. I have big legs and always have. My friend kicks far harder than me and he's a rail.

Look at van Persie - thin as hell but those shots...like cannons.
    Friendship b/w women:
    A woman doesn't come home one night. The next day she tells her husband she slept over at a girlfriend's place. Her husband calls 10 of her best friends. None know anything about it.

Friendship b/w men:
    A man doesn't come home one night. The next day he tells his wife he slept over at a friend's place. His wife calls 10 of the husband's best friends. 8 of them confirm he slept over, the other 2 claim he's still there.

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by qb0708 View Post
    Be it that I was a former kicker at the beginning of my high school career and soccer player in my youth for about 7 years, I have found that specifically my Vastus Medialis and Vastus Medialis Oblique of my dominant leg are considerably more developed in comparison to the other muscles of my right leg, with respect to the relative size of the same muscles of my left leg.

I am unaware if there is any real correlation for a majority of athletes in this information, but this asymmetry is very prominent to palpation and observation.

Also question for Studlete, was it through your company that Coach X & the Thinker gave a seminar at a high school in New Jersey?

No, I do live in NJ but I never done a seminar at a high school. WHat makes you think that? Ps... good observation of your dominant leg muscles... we can see an actual visual of what muslces are used. Good stuff.
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000) qb0708 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by studlete View Post
    No, I do live in NJ but I never done a seminar at a high school. WHat makes you think that? Ps... good observation of your dominant leg muscles... we can see an actual visual of what muslces are used. Good stuff.
    I inquired via James Smith on obtaining Coach X's presentation that took place at a seminar in New Jersey. He gave me the name of the company which I believe had the word part "lete" in it but the full name of the company escapes me.

Upon seeing studlete I thought that possibly you had some sort of involvement in the seminar.

Sorry for the mix up.

Thanks for the words, My disproportion is prominent aesthetically, and often becomes a topic of discussion when I am lifting with shorts above the knee.
    Last edited by qb0708; 11-18-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    Off-Season Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120401851

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity

Citius, Altius, Fortius