Thread: Starting Track

Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Starting Track

So football just ended for me so that means track season is starting
    Im starting practice tomorrow. I am the #1 returning thrower in the state, but my coach has decided to quit coaching this year which really sucks.
    I was throwing the shot around 55-57 last year so it hink im going to stay in the 50s probably, but I am going to have to coach myself.
    I will probably lift weights a lot more than normal to make up for the lack of form, from my coach leaving.

Any advice on how I can coach myself and still make some good gains, I really want to break 60 this year.
    DSC

Mixed Martial Artist MosaicMan3's Avatar
    MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm a senior, who participates in the State-Open Decathlon. wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

And as a person focusing on running an jumping my first two years of highschool, throwing was foreign to me. Especiall since im not the biggest guy. However when I weighed 140, I threw shot 42ft.

Not bad for a small guy if i must say so myself.

I've been gaining weight and should be getting closer to 50ft this year.

The biggest trick is, once you get your full spin down, is the explosion from your legs. That will give you more of a throw than your arms by far.

The best weight training workouts, that you will see a huge explosion, is: Squat, Power Cleans, Bench Press, Bump Press.

You should do those powerlifts twice-three times a week, every week, changing up the order to trick your muscles.

And every day you should focus on throwing the shot directly vertical in the air (with the appropiate technique[against your chin])

Moreover do slow technique practice every day. Even weekends. That will take no more than 20minutes-40 minutes out of your day.

Granted if your taller you will throw significantly further, but stick to this.

I did a similar routine for my discus, and I qualified for states the second meet

Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nolan78 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MosaicMan3 View Post
    I'm a senior, who participates in the State-Open Decathlon. wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

And as a person focusing on running an jumping my first two years of highschool, throwing was foreign to me. Especiall since im not the biggest guy. However when I weighed 140, I threw shot 42ft.

Not bad for a small guy if i must say so myself.

I've been gaining weight and should be getting closer to 50ft this year.

The biggest trick is, once you get your full spin down, is the explosion from your legs. That will give you more of a throw than your arms by far.

The best weight training workouts, that you will see a huge explosion, is: Squat, Power Cleans, Bench Press, Bump Press.

You should do those powerlifts twice-three times a week, every week, changing up the order to trick your muscles.

And every day you should focus on throwing the shot directly vertical in the air (with the appropiate technique[against your chin])

Moreover do slow technique practice every day. Even weekends. That will take no more than 20minutes-40 minutes out of your day.

Granted if your taller you will throw significantly further, but stick to this.

I did a similar routine for my discus, and I qualified for states the second meet

thanks for the response man
    Im a pretty experienced thrower so Im going to use my same workout routines
    I think im going to use the glide this year because my spin was ****ty last year but my coach was working on my with it. I hit most of my 56-57 foot throws spinning but I still got around 55-56 sliding

Couple of questions though. What is a bump press? And what is slow technique practice, is this just where you slow your glide/spin down and go part by part, how do YOU do this. Just wondering because I may have to do some new stuff now that i am on my own

thanks broseph
    DSC

MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MosaicMan3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Nolan78 View Post
    thanks for the response man
    Im a pretty experienced thrower so Im going to use my same workout routines
    I think im going to use the glide this year because my spin was ****ty last year but my coach was working on my with it. I hit most of my 56-57 foot throws spinning but I still got around 55-56 sliding

Couple of questions though. What is a bump press? And what is slow technique practice, is this just where you slow your glide/spin down and go part by part, how do YOU do this. Just wondering because I may have to do some new stuff now that i am on my own

thanks broseph
    A throw is generated primarily from the shoulder and tricep. A put uses your traps and upper back aswell. Thats why bump press.

Go slow, I try to go as slow as possible why keeping my motion as fluid as possible. The smoother & slower will stregthen your supporting muscles, as well as increase consistancy with throws.

I guess you can do what you want, but those 4 lifts are what the olympians do, so i figured they work the best. Just sayin'
    MMA Styles

Shotokan Karate
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Freestyle Sambo
    Boxing (Outside-Fighter)
    Roman Wrestling

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some info... Throw 3-4 times a week not including drill work and meets. Basically you will be doing some throwing motion 5 days out of the week.

Check out www.youtube.com/cownuttz70 for some throwing vidz/lifting vidz

Check out www.garagestrength.com for specific strength vidz and nutrition.

These sites specialize in throwing.

Also for more info go to www.effortlessthrow.org for the throwing forum. You have contacts here that go from high school coaches/athletes to Elite throwers, coaches and professionals.

Also check out www.macthrowvideo.com (or it may be www.macthrowvideos.com)

Good luck!

Jon Kalnas
    www.strengthathletes.com
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ps.. Mosaicman Good info for strength but does not carry over to throwing.

Winter strength 3-4 sets of 8-10
    Early spring 3 sets of 6-8
    Mid Spring 3 sets of 4-6
    End of season 3-4 sets of 1-3 reps

Always do movements controlled (not slow) and fast as possible. Throwing is all about speed.
    www.strengthathletes.com

lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lhshurdl3r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by studlete View Post

Mid Spring 3 sets of 4-6

Always do movements controlled (not slow) and fast as possible. Throwing is all about speed.
    Sooooooooo 3-4set of 8-10 for cleans and snatches and the like? Ouch, that's burnout waiting to happen.

To the OP, buy a video camera and set it up to record yourself while you practice. Compare it to elite throwers who have similar fundamentals to yourself. I've trained for the decathlon for the past year, and as the other decathlete in the thread mentioned, throwing was also foreign to me (being a hurdler/vaulter). With you already competing at a high level, the increase in power/explosiveness from your lifting along with precise technique work you should definitely be able to add some distance to your throws.

But without having a coach, the biggest piece of advice I can give you is to get a video camera and record your sessions.

Mid Spring 3 sets of 4-6

Lol sorry I figured it was self explanitory for the experanced thrower
    MMA Styles

Shotokan Karate
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Freestyle Sambo
    Boxing (Outside-Fighter)
    Roman Wrestling

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    head hurts from reading this. decathletes should not be coaching single event throwers. why? its just too damn different. and a big boy like nolans technique is going to be DRASTICALLY different than a 140lber. plus every ounce of the shots distance is generated from the hips and legs! the shoulders (triceps? really?) are used to project it but its like shooting a cannon out of a canoe if you aint got the strong base and quick legs.

anyways it was already said. get a camara. record ureself. get some vids on youtube or something. i can help ya get that 60. but in the mean time keep lifting, stay fast, AND DRILL! throw everything u can and keep drilling.

oh yea and unless i missed it are you a spinner or glider? that would be kind of important as for the drilling stuff lol.

Working To Fat Jacked Marcoccia's Avatar
    Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marcoccia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some info... Throw 3-4 times a week not including drill work and meets. Basically you will be doing some throwing motion 5 days out of the week.

Check out www.youtube.com/cownuttz70 for some throwing vidz/lifting vidz

Check out www.garagestrength.com for specific strength vidz and nutrition.

These sites specialize in throwing.

Also for more info go to www.effortlessthrow.org for the throwing forum. You have contacts here that go from high school coaches/athletes to Elite throwers, coaches and professionals.

Also check out www.macthrowvideo.com (or it may be www.macthrowvideos.com)

Good luck!

Jon Kalnas
    www.strengthathletes.com
    This is a good start btw the Id and password for macthrow is Steel and Tape.

Also taking video of yourself throwing a reviewing it is a big help or even posting in on youtube but don't listen to what most of the people say cause they ask if what they are throwing is good. Also joing www.deepthrows.com a forum board for throwing.

Originally Posted by xxtwistedxx View Post
    head hurts from reading this. decathletes should not be coaching single event throwers. why? its just too damn different. and a big boy like nolans technique is going to be DRASTICALLY different than a 140lber. plus every ounce of the shots distance is generated from the hips and legs! the shoulders (triceps? really?) are used to project it but its like shooting a cannon out of a canoe if you aint got the strong base and quick legs.

anyways it was already said. get a camara. record ureself. get some vids on youtube or something. i can help ya get that 60. but in the mean time keep lifting, stay fast, AND DRILL! throw everything u can and keep drilling.

oh yea and unless i missed it are you a spinner or glider? that would be kind of important as for the drilling stuff lol.
    i glide right now
    DSC

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subbed for as long as nolan and twisted keep the communication going in this thread.

griffin22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried contacting your coach to ask if he has any recommendations?

no cleans should never be 8-10 reps.. way too much.

Highest they will go during pre-season is 5 maybe even 6reps but that is pushing it.

Explosive olympic lifts need to be that, explosive. Once you hit higher reps the muscle is being told to stop by lactic acid and low atp... This will not benefit a thrower.
    www.strengthathletes.com