bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Do rolled oats really have the same nutritional values as quick oats?

Recently switched to rolled oats (old fashioned) and i find that i am way more full compared to when i was eating quick oats but the packaging has identical nutritional info.

I ate the same amount of oats that i would normally eat but i was so full i had mild heartburn. I also found that I had to drink more water and became more vascular which might indicate that im getting the 'carb up' effect.

Is it possible that the label is wrong or am i imagining things?

Registered User RealMenDeadLift's Avatar
    RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000) RealMenDeadLift is a name known to all. (+5000)
    lol come on, quick oats are just chopped up rolled oats, by weight they will have almost identical calories

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    lol come on, quick oats are just chopped up rolled oats, by weight they will have almost identical calories
    ^^^ This. The only difference is that when something is chopped up finer, your stomach acid doesn't have to work as hard breaking it down.

Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by RealMenDeadLift View Post
    Not necessarily, quick/instant oats often have the bran removed, so yes, you're probably experiencing more "fullness" because of the fact it's emptying slower from your stomach.
    Dude if it walked, flew, or swam at one point, eat it - SolidSteel86

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    As far as I know, NO OATS are eaten with the outer hull. It is removed for all of the three types being discussed in this thread.

The difference between old fashioned oats and instant is just that the oats will be cooked and dried at the end of the processing when you make them instant. This allows you to not even have to cook instant oats - just add hot water and eat.

Of course this is assuming that the "instant" oats don't have sugar and other stuff added as many do when they are packaged in packets, which obviously changes things.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Sash View Post
    Not necessarily, quick/instant oats often have the bran removed, so yes, you're probably experiencing more "fullness" because of the fact it's emptying slower from your stomach.
    Que? Both - rolled AND instant/quick - have been hulled --> http://www.mccanns.ie/oatstory.html

And the instant oats are just rolled thinner and cut finer/smaller so that they cook very quickly.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sash is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Que? Both - rolled AND instant/quick - have been hulled --> http://www.mccanns.ie/oatstory.html

And the instant oats are just rolled thinner and cut finer/smaller so that they cook very quickly.
    hulling is different to debranning, whether or not the rolled oats have any bran left probably depends on the brand, whether they are labelled "whole rolled oats" etc.
    Dude if it walked, flew, or swam at one point, eat it - SolidSteel86