Thread: Football + MMA

Quanneh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quanneh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Football + MMA

Well, I don't exactly know if this is the right spot, so if it isn't could someone point me in the right direction ?
    Anyway, I am currently dropping weight (about 20-30 pounds) because I want to change positions for football . So MMA is helping me, and during the off season my MMA helps me drop weight . (Its currently football season and since we seem to be heading towards the playoffs, i have about a month to decide)
    my only problem is when I hit my goal weight, Can i actually do MMA 3 times a week (for about 3 1/2 hours each time) and lift 3 times a week, and still raise my lifts/ strengths/ explosive power as much as I should be able to ?
    what would be required to do this ?

Thanks. If anything isn't clear or if its in the wrong place, please tell me (I'm pretty new to the site)

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what position do want to play in football?

Quanneh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Quanneh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    what position do want to play in football?
    well, with the proper training and increases of speed/strength i was hoping to move from Defensive tackle to Defensive end, and O-guard/center to Tight end.
    Will be a lot of work, but since I have to drop weight anyway, why not get some extra benefits with it.

jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jtray68 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    why are you dropping weight if you want to play on the line man?
    GOOD is the enemy of GREAT

my football highlight
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqfsKYHpJDE

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think mma training would be great for a linemen to know. I'm conserned about dropping the weight though. Are you overweight and need to loose the extra bagage?

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What'd you eat today? What're you gonna eat tomorrow?

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Quanneh View Post
    Well, I don't exactly know if this is the right spot, so if it isn't could someone point me in the right direction ?
    Anyway, I am currently dropping weight (about 20-30 pounds) because I want to change positions for football . So MMA is helping me, and during the off season my MMA helps me drop weight . (Its currently football season and since we seem to be heading towards the playoffs, i have about a month to decide)
    my only problem is when I hit my goal weight, Can i actually do MMA 3 times a week (for about 3 1/2 hours each time) and lift 3 times a week, and still raise my lifts/ strengths/ explosive power as much as I should be able to ?
    what would be required to do this ?

Thanks. If anything isn't clear or if its in the wrong place, please tell me (I'm pretty new to the site)
    I don't remember the guys name but it was just on www.defrancostraining.com not long ago. It was a mma or juijitsui guy that he was training. Said he trained him like twice per week and the goal was to have endurance power I believe was the wording. Basically keeping his power up over long periods of time for matches. With that being said, a weight class sport such as mma is really hard to progress much in strength levels because the sport is based on TECHNIQUE then power/strength. You have to practice a lot and that can make you very tired. Personally I would say 3x of lifting per week and practicing enough to be any good would be out of the question. I would go there and ask him for some tips in the Ask Joe section. I've said it before ... weight class sports are opposite the goals of other sports because strength/size is not a major factor.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!
    =============================================

Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    I don't remember the guys name but it was just on m not long ago. It was a mma or juijitsui guy that he was training. Said he trained him like twice per week and the goal was to have endurance power I believe was the wording. Basically keeping his power up over long periods of time for matches. With that being said, a weight class sport such as mma is really hard to progress much in strength levels because the sport is based on TECHNIQUE then power/strength. You have to practice a lot and that can make you very tired. Personally I would say 3x of lifting per week and practicing enough to be any good would be out of the question. I would go there and ask him for some tips in the Ask Joe section. I've said it before ... weight class sports are opposite the goals of other sports because strength/size is not a major factor.
    Hmm. Thanks for that I will check that out when I get on a computer (on my phone right now)
    However I might want to throw in the fact that my instructor said its very likely I won't compete until after I graduate highschool,or at least towars the end of my senior year
    Yes I am overweight trying to drop some .. I'm around 220 pounds,not that strong

I have been working on my diet for a while now
    Today I ate
    A bagel with creamcheese
    10 oz of grilled chicken
    Can of tuna
    8 pieces wheat bread

Came out to roughly 30g fat 150g carbs 130g protein 1400 cals (haven't eaten dinner yet)

breathecycle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whats up man!?

Listen, I played college ball so realistically, advice from one of your coaches is probably the best thing to do as far as understanding your role within your team. Many times they will tell you where you are going to be used, then from there you can manipulate the position to fit your body. My suggestion about training is simple, you gotta become a functional athlete. Don't be one dimensional, be an athlete and your'll find your playing time. MMA training is definitely going to drop your weight but you have to be able to apply the technique you learn in your training and apply it to your position. Helps D-Ends learn upper body violence, O-line shooting their hands, T-ends hards when blocking and shedding backers. Just make sure you don't over train. Recovery is important, especially with all the training it sounds like you'll be doing.

What year are you in school? Do yourself a favor and stop eating white bread. Before you get on a weight gain plan, you gotta learn how to lift and train. You have to develop a solid foundation. Diet is seriously important, so no matter what work on that. Meat and veggies, eat every 2-3 hours, lots of water. Some vitamins wouldn't hurt either.

Hope this helps man!

J

Originally Posted by breathecycle View Post
    Whats up man!?

Listen, I played college ball so realistically, advice from one of your coaches is probably the best thing to do as far as understanding your role within your team. Many times they will tell you where you are going to be used, then from there you can manipulate the position to fit your body. My suggestion about training is simple, you gotta become a functional athlete. Don't be one dimensional, be an athlete and your'll find your playing time. MMA training is definitely going to drop your weight but you have to be able to apply the technique you learn in your training and apply it to your position. Helps D-Ends learn upper body violence, O-line shooting their hands, T-ends hards when blocking and shedding backers. Just make sure you don't over train. Recovery is important, especially with all the training it sounds like you'll be doing.

What year are you in school? Do yourself a favor and stop eating white bread. Before you get on a weight gain plan, you gotta learn how to lift and train. You have to develop a solid foundation. Diet is seriously important, so no matter what work on that. Meat and veggies, eat every 2-3 hours, lots of water. Some vitamins wouldn't hurt either.

Hope this helps man!

J
    I'm a sophomore. I don't eat white bread though, I don't really like it that much . Never have. And I know I'm not ready to gain yet so I came here asking you guys for help and I've been getting the help . I seem to do fine at losing weight, but I've never actually tried to gain weight yknow so the whole concept is new to me