Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Tom Mutaffis 3-Day Split

I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This isn't bad at all, but I wouldn't recommend it to a total beginner.

Someone looking for something to do after getting their strength up and lifting consistently for a while though...decent little split.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Inertiatic View Post

Someone looking for something to do after getting their strength up and lifting consistently for a while though...decent little split.
    That is a good point, thank you for the feedback.

I would say that the volume (number of exercises) is manageable for a beginner but you would probably want to change the rep scheme a bit. To adapt this program for a beginner I would eliminated (1) set on each of the initial compound movements and perform sets of 8-10 reps on all exercises.

It is important for a beginner trainee to incorporate compound movements and allow for ample recovery - which this program does offer.

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It certainly could be tweaked a bit to be a nice beginner's workout, especially for the ones that can't stand the idea of doing 'only' 3 lifts a day.

demonoszxz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

- Squats (4 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Looks great man I'm gonna try this out, I focus on the movement before I get into drop sets.HA HA I would rather take your advice then the other guy on my post who was 5'11 and 120 lbs no offense to him his workout seemed pretty good but your a more trusted source.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Where is all the event work?

Can you talk a little bit about WHY you arranged your training this way? Is this something you are currently doing, something you did before you started strongman... I would be curious to know some of the history behind this.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post

Can you talk a little bit about WHY you arranged your training this way? Is this something you are currently doing, something you did before you started strongman... I would be curious to know some of the history behind this.
    Sorry, just saw this post.

I am actually going to post a program in the near future that uses a similar split combined with events training for a hybrid strongman program (good for athletes, bodybuilders, and strongmen alike).

This is similar to the split that I follow with events work although I only deadlift or squat once per week, generally alternating from week to week. The template that was posted here is something that I wrote for another individual who was requesting a comprehensive three day split.

If anyone is interested I have a comprenehsive 4/5 day split that I can post here as well.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Tom,

I would appreciate seeing your strongman training. Do you keep a journal anywhere?
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Tom your split breakdown is very similar to my own training at the moment, could you paste up your 4/5 day split too? Could you also shed some light as to why you have choosen to use 3-5 reps during your first compound movement and then 5-8reps on the second, and finally does this mean you don't have periodisation in your routine?

Thanks.

GinGin58 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think im going to try this workout for a couple weeks or a month. I've been working out for about 2 years now, so I'm not really a beginner but I'm not a veteran either. My maxes are 225 for bench, and about 350 for squat.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Exactly what I was wondering.

I would appreciate seeing your strongman training.
    I struggle with how to add strongman training into my powerlifting focused routine. I end up not changing my powerlifting routine very much and just not doing very much strongman, which probably isn't that bad for right now since I'm focusing on getting my strength levels up, but eventually I'm going to need to do something else. I really love the strongman training I do and one day would like to do a competition.

The routine doesn't seem too bad, but there are some things I'd personally leave out. So do you ever lift for max singles or do dynamic effort?
    Last edited by bigtallox; 12-04-2009 at 09:05 AM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Tom,

I would appreciate seeing your strongman training. Do you keep a journal anywhere?
    I do, the most comprehensive one is on Marunde (dates back to 2007) but I have one on WBB as well that is a lot more thorough which I started earlier this year. My training has not been consistent lately and I am taking it easy. Will get back to intense training again soon.

Am planning on releasing a new strongman training program soon and I did write an article on creating an effective strongman routine that I will post below.

My events work (and basically 100% of my gym work) is based in instincts and how I feel on that given day. The only event that I ever directly prepared for was Nationals in 2007.
    Last edited by TomMutaffis; 12-04-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added to post.

Originally Posted by NIguy View Post
    Tom your split breakdown is very similar to my own training at the moment, could you paste up your 4/5 day split too? Could you also shed some light as to why you have choosen to use 3-5 reps during your first compound movement and then 5-8reps on the second, and finally does this mean you don't have periodisation in your routine?

Thanks.
    The reasoning behind the rep progression is that I like to lift heavy on my primary compound movements, and have had good success training in the 3-8 rep range for a balance of strength/hypertrophy. For secondary movements and isolation exercises I like to train in the 8-12 rep range and they are a great way to add some volume (hypertrophy) without impacting recovery (strength/CNS).

I will post the program below this post.

Tom Mutaffis 4/5 Day Training Split

Here is the 4/5 day training split...

Training Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.

Originally Posted by GinGin58 View Post
    I think im going to try this workout for a couple weeks or a month. I've been working out for about 2 years now, so I'm not really a beginner but I'm not a veteran either. My maxes are 225 for bench, and about 350 for squat.
    Good luck with the program, let me know how it works out for you and if you would like for me to customize anything for your specific objectives/needs.

I also posted a 4/5 Day Program in this thread that you may want to take a look at as well.

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

- Squats (4 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

i like it

Originally Posted by Inertiatic View Post

why?

well come to think of it the shoulder work is excessive for beginners and even some intermediates.
    Last edited by Al Swearengen; 12-04-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    Exactly what I was wondering.

I struggle with how to add strongman training into my powerlifting focused routine. I end up not changing my powerlifting routine very much and just not doing very much strongman, which probably isn't that bad for right now since I'm focusing on getting my strength levels up, but eventually I'm going to need to do something else. I really love the strongman training I do and one day would like to do a competition.

The routine doesn't seem too bad, but there are some things I'd personally leave out. So do you ever lift for max singles or do dynamic effort?
    This is not my training split, if someone followed my training split they would never get strong since I have been doing mostly maintenance work for a while while improving proficiency with strongman events. The training splits posted above are similar to programs that I have followed in the past and were written for individuals who are looking for a balance of maximum strength and hypertrophy.

It can be tough to balance the two, specifically if you do more of a powerlifting split in the gym since that alone can be quite taxing.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote:

Creating An Effective Strongman Routine -> http://www.atlargenutrition.com/effe...an_routine.php

With regard to my training, I rarely do max singles unless I am trying to test a lift. A lot of people make the mistake of constantly doing 1RM lifts not realizing that it is not a good way to get strong and in many cases will just leave you injured/overtrained.

Dynamic Effort work is not something that I do a lot of, but I do some high rep work for conditioning and a lot of complexes/supersets.

Hope this helps, I have a Q&A on another site where I can look at your specific program/split/goals and potentially help you to tweak things.

Registered User BillabongVolcom's Avatar
    BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BillabongVolcom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Tom, on your 4/5 day split do you keep the reps between 8-10 on the Lateral, Close Grip and Preacher Curl supersets? Also, on your splits, what would you change if the individual was going for more hypertrophy? What would you change about it?

Also, how long do you typically rest between sets?

Thanks.
    I had all the normal teenage fantasies..cars, girls, money, blow. Then my parents left for a week, and all my fantasies came true!

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hope this helps, I have a Q&A on another site where I can look at your specific program/split/goals and potentially help you to tweak things.
    Which site? Link appreciated.

TheBigBang4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheBigBang4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

- Squats (4 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

at the moment i'm doing a 4 day split and i'm looking to build muscle and mass. Would you recommend your routine, which is a 3 day split, over a 4 day split?

230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000) 230plus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TheBigBang4 View Post
    at the moment i'm doing a 4 day split and i'm looking to build muscle and mass. Would you recommend your routine, which is a 3 day split, over a 4 day split?
    I dont follow too many programs on here...but this guy is a monster. Continue to post them up and I will jump on one for sure.
    240 with abs...your worst nightmare.

NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000) NIguy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It is a quality split indeed...

Tom, have you wrote any other articles? if so I would love to read them...
    Btw cheers for posting 4 day split.

NI

broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    why?

well come to think of it the shoulder work is excessive for beginners and even some intermediates.
    Hi Al,

I don't see it. The shoulder work seems normal; its challenging enough for beginners and intermediates should be fine with it. What I noticed is the insertion of the overhead DB extension for triceps between the compound and isolation shoulder work. It is a very nice way to give the rotators a little rest so the medial delts can take the weight required to fatigue them with two sets.
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by broad.stance View Post
    Hi Al,

I don't see it. The shoulder work seems normal; its challenging enough for beginners and intermediates should be fine with it. What I noticed is the insertion of the overhead DB extension for triceps between the compound and isolation shoulder work. It is a very nice way to give the rotators a little rest so the medial delts can take the weight required to fatigue them with two sets.
    it's a lot when done with chest because the front delts are getting hammered by every movement listed which would be 19 sets in one sitting hitting the front delts. i think as a day on it's own it would be fine or with legs would also work well.

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

Marcus Garvey

broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    it's a lot when done with chest because the front delts are getting hammered by every movement listed which would be 19 sets in one sitting hitting the front delts. i think as a day on it's own it would be fine or with legs would also work well.

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    Ah, I see where you are coming from. It's fairly common for such a split, on my chest/shoulder days I focus more on posterior delt exercises before moving onto compounds which hit the anterior and medial heads more. Standard back to front. But everyone is different. Actually when I first looked at this, in my mind I inserted the appropriate rest intervals with stretching activities.

Done with the proper load I do see how this routine can be problematic for someone starting out. Though, and I'm sure you'll agree, it is nice to see a workout that is not intended for beginners.

If the shoulder exercises were placed after legs the program would still work. It's a good option because it give the rotator cuff an appropriate amount of rest, and since it is for a strongman he should have the stamina to complete a great shoulder workout with the right intensity.
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com

Originally Posted by broad.stance View Post
    Ah, I see where you are coming from. It's fairly common for such a split, on my chest/shoulder days I focus more on posterior delt exercises before moving onto compounds which hit the anterior and medial heads more. Standard back to front. But everyone is different. Actually when I first looked at this, in my mind I inserted the appropriate rest intervals with stretching activities.

Done with the proper load I do see how this routine can be problematic for someone starting out. Though, and I'm sure you'll agree, it is nice to see a workout that is not intended for beginners.

If the shoulder exercises were placed after legs the program would still work. It's a good option because it give the rotator cuff an appropriate amount of rest, and since it is for a strongman he should have the stamina to complete a great shoulder workout with the right intensity.
    yeah if you have worked up to that kind of shoulder work load it would be fine also like you said. i personally like a back\tri's\abs, chest\bi's\forearms, legs\shoulders\calf routine i get a better workout (for me) on arms because technically i'm going 2x a week on them and my shoulders get some recovery before being worked again so it's a win win for myself.

Marcus Garvey

Originally Posted by BillabongVolcom View Post
    Tom, on your 4/5 day split do you keep the reps between 8-10 on the Lateral, Close Grip and Preacher Curl supersets? Also, on your splits, what would you change if the individual was going for more hypertrophy? What would you change about it?

Also, how long do you typically rest between sets?

Thanks.
    For supersets I usually keep my reps between 8-10 on the 2-3 exercises, but typically the first one is heavy and the other two are not always two failure but simply to provide more volume/work.

If an individual were going for hypertrophy only I may cut back some of the heavier compound lifting and add in a little bit more rep work for volume. It all depends on the strength levels, overall regimen, and recovery abilities of the inividual.

I typically rest 2-3 minutes between sets on my primary (heavy) movements and then 1-2 minutes throughout the rest of my workout. The first half of my workouts are usually power-focused and then I move more toward volume/hypertrophy. By taking short rest periods it makes lighter weights more challenging and also keeps my conditioning up.

Originally Posted by NIguy View Post
    It is a quality split indeed...

Tom, have you wrote any other articles? if so I would love to read them...
    Btw cheers for posting 4 day split.

NI
    No problem on the split. Here is another article that I wrote, a bit more of an advanced program and it works very well for those looking for a 'hybrid' strength/hypertrophy/conditioning solution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Utilizing Gym Complexes for Power & Conditioning

by Tom Mutaffis

It is a common dilemma for most people who weight train; they want to build strength, but at the same time want to be fit and athletic. Unfortunately, many of the currently popular training protocols neglect overall balance in favor of a singular objective such as strength, hypertrophy, or aerobic capacity.

The program described herein can provide outstanding strength gains while also maintaining, or improving your level of GPP (general physical preparedness ? i.e. conditioning).

The total time under tension and volume will also enhance muscular hypertrophy. Enhanced hypertrophy along with the total workload prescribed will increase caloric expenditure which can improve body composition. In a nutshell, this program addresses all of the points most trainees are concerned with and does so in a very efficient fashion.

The Basic Principals:

- Complete a thorough warm-up prior to beginning your first complex.

- Complexes are defined as multiple exercises performed consecutively (?linked?) with no rest between them (you move as quickly as possible from one exercise to the next).

- The entire volume of the training sessions will be 5-10 sets.

- Adjust your rest between complexes based on goals:

Longer rest (3-5 minutes) for strength
    Medium rest (2-3 minutes) for conventional athletes
    Shorter rest (1-1.5 minutes) for bodybuilding / body composition
    - The training split is broken down into 2-3 muscle groups per day.

- Advanced trainees can do between 3-5 linked movements per complex; beginner and intermediate trainees should do 2-3 linked movements per complex.

- As a general rule, start with compound exercises and follow with isolation movements.

- The total workout should be completed in 1 hour or less.

The Training Split:

Monday: Upper Body
    Tuesday: Lower Body
    Wednesday: Upper Body Accessory
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Upper Body
    Saturday & Sunday: Rest / Active Lifestyle
    Example Exercise Selections:

Beginner / Intermediate

Lower Body: Front Squat / Back Squat
    Lower Body: Stiff Leg Deadlift / Conventional Deadlift
    Upper Body: Incline Dumbell Press / Decline Dumbell Flyes
    Upper Body: Wide Grip Chins / Close Grip Pulldown / One-Arm DB Rows
    Upper Body Accessory: Barbell Curls / Preacher Machine Curls / Hammer Curls
    Upper Body Accessory: Weighted Dips / Rope Pushdown
    Intermediate / Advanced:

Lower Body: Deficit Deadlift / Standard Deadlift / Rack Pull
    Lower Body: Olympic Squat / Box Squat / Hack Squat
    Lower Body: Power Clean / Front Squat
    Upper Body: Incline Dumbell Press / Pendlay Rows / Push Press / Chins
    Upper Body: Incline Barbell Press / High Pulls (Wide Grip Upright Rows)
    Upper Body: Flat Bench Dumbell Press / Barbell Rows / Pec Deck / Pulldowns
    Upper Body Accessory: Close Grip Bench Press / Overhead Dumbell Extension / Pushdown
    Upper Body Accessory: Alternating Dumbell Curls / Preacher Curls / Concentration Curls
    Upper Body Accessory: Skull Crushers / EZ Bar Curls / Seated DB Curls / Close Grip Pushups
    Advanced lifters will be working opposing muscle groups with longer sets. The resultant time under tension can exceed 5 minutes thus requiring most individuals ?work up? to the requisite level of training intensity.

One of the really fun things about this type of training is that you can do different workouts each week. There is a lot of variation and opportunity to set new personal records (PRs).

You can adjust the program to address lagging body parts, or to focus on building strength in a specific movement. This can be done by training the movement or body part earlier in the week, increasing volume, or prioritizing them to be the initial movement in each complex. The program can be adapted to many training styles including periodization and Westside.

Application:

Trainee X is a high school football player looking to increase his bench press, squat, and to add body weight while also improving conditioning. Below are examples of upper and lower body complex workouts he might follow:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Upper Body Day:

Complex 1 - Flat Bench Press (90% x 3 reps) / Chins or Pulldowns (BW x 10) / Incline

Complex 2 - Weighted Dips (Sets of 5) / Seated Low Pulley Row (Sets of 8-10) / Chest Press Machine (Sets of 10-15) ? Complete this complex for 2 sets with 3-5 minutes of rest.

** Accessory Work - Decline Bench or Board Press for 1-2 sets of 10, Hammer Strength Back Machine for 2 sets of 8-10 reps. Minimal Rest.

Lower Body Day:

Complex 1 - Back Squat (85% x 5) / Trap Bar Deadlift (Sets of 5) / Dumbell Stiff Leg Deadlift (Sets of 10) ? Complete 3 rounds of this complex.

Complex 2 - Box Squat (Sets of 3) / Leg Extension (sets of 12) / Leg Curl (sets of 8-10)

** Accessory Work - Football Squat or Hack Squat (2 sets of 10), Leg Press (2 sets of 15-20)

These workouts should be completed in less than an hour. You are able to work with heavy weights but still have enough volume to increase hypertrophy and conditioning.

** Accessory work is optional. This program is flexible and you can always drop a complex in favor of accessory work if needed.

Resources:

Here is a video that demonstrates how to perform this type of training:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViCpc5Uq5is

For additional information on applying these methods to your specific training program or with any questions please see the discussion thread on WannaBeBig.

------------------------------------------------------------------

**I will post some additional example routines below this post, they are from the discussion thread for this article.

A gentleman asked about how to merge the 'Gym Complex Program' with 5/3/1 training:

-----------------------------------------------------------

One way to incorporate complexes into something like the 5/3/1 would be to just pair your assistance work with your primary movements.

For instance if Tuesday is Squat day and your accessory movements are stiff leg deadlifts and leg extensions, then you can simply do your regular 5/3/1 rep & intensity protocol with the squats, but extend the sets to include the other two movements. Because there is a specific level of intensity required for the 5/3/1 you will probably need to extend your rest periods to around 5 minutes between sets in order to properly recouperate. The total workout time will actually be shorter though because once you are done with the main working sets your accessory work is already covered.

Sometimes instead of doing all complexes I will just do complexes on my final sets, so on the 5/3/1 a workout might look something like this:

Squat Day: (We'll just pick the 3x3 day)
    450 lbs x 3
    470 lbs x 3
    485 lbs x 4 / Stiff Leg Deadlift x 10 / Leg Extension x 10 - All done with no rest.

Stiff Leg Deadlift x 10 / Leg Extension x 10
    Stiff Leg Deadlift x 10 / Leg Extention x 10

Finish off with any additional accessory work such as pull-throughs or heel raises.

This way you are still incorporating some complexes but are also allowing yourself to maximize your energy for the heaviest sets. The purpose of this is to build strength and conditioning simultaneously.

Another person asked about some specific examples of progression and how the workouts are put together:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It is obviously important to warm up properly, and I will generally do either a light total body warmup along with some specific muscle group warmups before jumping into any heavy or high intensity work.

With regard to doing progressive sets, it really depends on your goals. If you are interested in bodybuilding / overall fitness / athletics then I would just do strait weight and try to keep a good pace between the complexes. I have done this before with something like this:

Endurance / Athletics Complex:
    Trap Bar Deadlift (500 lbs) / Front Squat (225 lbs) / Weighted Chins (BW + 25 lbs)
    The objective was to run through this 3 times and hit 10 reps on all of the movements. On the final set I believe that I only hit 7 with the deadlift, and ended up doing the chins with just BW due to fatigue. All of the sets were completed with a maximum of 30 seconds rest (9 continuous sets).

Another variation would have been to rest between the complexes and just try to hit the numbers each time around. The reason that I did it without rest is that it was at the end of a workout and I was doing this to build overall GPP in place of traditional cardiovasular training, and I wanted to really push my lactic acid tolerance.

If you were looking for a more strength focused program then you might do something like this:

Lower Body Strength Complex:
    Front Squat / Back Squat / Hack Squat
    300 lbs x 10 / 300 lbs x 10 / 2 plates per side x 10
    345 lbs x 5 / 345 lbs x 5 / 2 plates per side x 10
    385 lbs x 3 / 385 lbs x 3-5 / 2 plates per side x 10

These complex sets would be performed with 3-5 minutes rest between them, and minimal rest from movement to movement. It also addresses your question below about using multiple pieces of equipment. For this complex you are doing a (3) part complex but only using two barbells/machines.

Hopefully this makes sense. If you have a specific application I can recommend a routine that would be best suited for those goals.