Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
    TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
    Thanks a lot!
    I just did leg day.
    I don't have access to a leg press machine so I subbed that movement with front squats. What are your thoughts on that?
    Do you have a smith machine? If you keep your legs out far in front of your and take a wide stance that is a good way to simulate leg press (same applies to some squat machines).

If you decide to just do barbell movements then I would do front squats (narrow/medium stance) and box squats (wider stance) as your primary lower body movements coupled with the accessory work such as SLDL, Lunges, Extension, Leg Curls, etc.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Do you have a smith machine? If you keep your legs out far in front of your and take a wide stance that is a good way to simulate leg press (same applies to some squat machines).

If you decide to just do barbell movements then I would do front squats (narrow/medium stance) and box squats (wider stance) as your primary lower body movements coupled with the accessory work such as SLDL, Lunges, Extension, Leg Curls, etc.
    Thank you, I will do the Smith machine press, I've never thought of that. My legs are my weakest point (225x5x4 sets last night), can't wait to see where I am after 12 weeks.

Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Simplething1980 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great post on your training program. Won't mind trying it out myself

Sopranos1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Tom,

Been on the 3day routine from the 1st page for 4 weeks now after changing from a homemade back/bi, chest/tri, legs/shoulders split and am really feeling the benefits of a well thought out strength routine. one thing that i've noticed though is my dumbbell military press has gone down from when i was doing it as part of my leg day.im guessing this is because shoulders are secondary muscles in the excersizes before this? was just wondering if you have any tips or advice on this issue as i really like that excersize and its a shame that its staying the same when everything else is shooting up

cheers buddy

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Simplething1980 View Post
    Great post on your training program. Won't mind trying it out myself
    This is not my specific training program - just something that I wrote for individuals who are looking for effective 3-day or 4/5-day training splits.

It is similar to what I do for gym work in terms of how the exercises are grouped and the progression within the workout (doing one heavy compound movement, a couple of accessory movements and then usually a 'complex' to finish off).

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My recommendation would be to work in as much variation as you can - not only will this keep your more balanced and well rounded but it will allow some recovery time from the movements where you are strongest. What I mean is that if you squat low bar and wide stance you may squat 500 lbs and really hammer your hips/hamstrings/glutes, but if you squat 'oly style' that may drop the bar weight to 425 lbs and place more focus on your quads. Not only does this develop a well-rounded lower body but the lightened overall loads will keep you from 'burning out' with regard to your CNS or supporting structure (low back, etc.).

When I started competing in strongman I made consistent (but moderate) gains on my deadlift over the course of about 3 years by only deadlifting maybe 1-2 times per month, and instead just building my overall lower body with strongman events, accessory movements, and other gym lifts.

Hope this is helpful in planning your routine.
    Do you determine this by feel alone or do you tend to program it into your schedule, sort of like ME lifts following westside methods? I guess I'm asking if I should plan on reversing form every few weeks ( Weeks1-3 sumo deadlift, highbar squat. Weeks 4-6 Conventional deadlift, low bar squat, etc) vs going based on how I feel that day going into the gym ( eg, my hips are bothering me today but my knees feel fine, squat high bar)?

I always have the intention of balancing both but end up sticking with what I'm best at not wanting to sacrifice potential progress in that specific lift.

Originally Posted by Sopranos1 View Post
    Hi Tom,

Been on the 3day routine from the 1st page for 4 weeks now after changing from a homemade back/bi, chest/tri, legs/shoulders split and am really feeling the benefits of a well thought out strength routine. one thing that i've noticed though is my dumbbell military press has gone down from when i was doing it as part of my leg day.im guessing this is because shoulders are secondary muscles in the excersizes before this? was just wondering if you have any tips or advice on this issue as i really like that excersize and its a shame that its staying the same when everything else is shooting up

cheers buddy
    If you specifically wanted to focus on your shoulders (deltoids) or DB Military press then you could move it to the beginning of the workout. This way your shoulders and triceps are fresh which will definitely allow you to move more weight. The same applies to any other muscle groups or movements - if you want to specifically focus on something I would move it to the start of your session so that you have more energy to devote to that objective.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Do you determine this by feel alone or do you tend to program it into your schedule, sort of like ME lifts following westside methods? I guess I'm asking if I should plan on reversing form every few weeks ( Weeks1-3 sumo deadlift, highbar squat. Weeks 4-6 Conventional deadlift, low bar squat, etc) vs going based on how I feel that day going into the gym ( eg, my hips are bothering me today but my knees feel fine, squat high bar)?

I always have the intention of balancing both but end up sticking with what I'm best at not wanting to sacrifice potential progress in that specific lift.
    I would go based on 'feel' so that you can get the most out of your sessions. This way if you have a joint/tendon/muscle group that is bothering your for some reason you can work around the ailment and still train with high intensity without as much potential risk for injury. It is good to come in to your sessions with some sort of plan but you can simply rotate between movements and make adjustments as necessary.

An example of this would be if you came in to a session looking for a heavy deadlift off blocks and your low back just didn't feel great going through warm-up's. You could drop the weight and throw some bands on the bar then do some progressively heavy speed doubles with short rest to still get something out of the session without compromising future gains or risking injury since the loads would not be nearly as high this way. You could even totally switch gears to something that was easier on the low back such as Front Squats and still go max-effort (all depends on how you are feeling that day). A lot of times it is better to make adjustments and still put in a good session than to try to fight through and end up stuck having to take time off for 2-4 weeks because you strained something.

I have always found that instinctive training allows you to make consistent progress while keeping things interesting since you are never holding back in the gym or doing something that doesn't feel right if you are run-down/sore/injured.

dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10) dc1992hp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nice
    Eat Sleep Lift.

~Forum Support~

carayan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had a question as I want to undertake this after slowly dropping off SS.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    These get done 3x3-5?
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    These get done 2x5-8?
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)
    And these 2/1 x8-12?

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    These are 3/2 x 3-5?
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    These are 3/2 x 5-8?
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)
    These are 2/1 x 8 - 12?

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    These are 4/2 x 3-5?
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets) This is 2 x 5-8?
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    And finally these are 3/2 8 - 12?

I apologise if what I am asking seems stupid, I'd rather be clear on the work load before I jump right into this.

DelonL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, Tom, first of all thank you for posting such a wonderful routine,
    but here's some question I have :
    I originally was doing SS but recently I have moved and my current gym only
    has a smith machine, not a free weight squat rack.
    So I was thinking is it better to do a smith machine squat or a leg press?
    I feel pretty uncomfortable squatting in a smith...

Also, I cannot do chin/pull-ups, what other alternatives do you recommend?
    Does the sets written include warm-ups?
    SLDLs always seem to give me back problems, is there an alternative too?
    My gym does not have a cable pushdown machine or a cable crossover, what other
    exercises are there?
    Are chair dips a good replacement compared to dip machines?

I'm at about 18% BF and is trying to cut, so what SETs or REPs are recommended?
    I was thinking of going 3 sets not including warm up at a 8-12 range.

Since I'm going for a cut, I was thinking of doing cardio on rest days, tue/thur
    will that make me lose fat faster?
    If so, what cardio do you think is good for a person with back complications?

Here are my front, back, and side view if that is all necessary.
    2012-12-16 23.06.15.jpg
    2012-12-16 23.05.40.jpg
    2012-12-16 23.05.09.jpg

Thank you so much once again, Tom.
    Have a great day.

I have included responses below next to your questions, hope this helps:

Originally Posted by carayan View Post
    I had a question as I want to undertake this after slowly dropping off SS.

- Deadlifts (3 sets) - These should be progressive working up to a final set that is challenging but not necessarily 'maximal effort' if you are pulling weekly.
    - Chins (3 sets)
    These get done 3x3-5? - I would perform higher reps on the chins but it depends on your level, if necessary you can do assisted chins with a band to stay in the 4-12 rep range. For advanced trainees I would do these weighted in the 4-8 rep range.
    These get done 2x5-8? - I would go with 8-12 reps on these, and you could work in some rest-pause work if you want to use heavier weights.
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)
    And these 2/1 x8-12? - I would perform a drop set, starting at 5-10 reps and performing a series of drops (exchanging your weights for lighter dumbbells as you fatigue).

These are 3/2 x 3-5? - Yes, two sets of 3-5 reps would be sufficient, and you could also work a bit higher on the rep range if you are more focused on hypertrophy (or do one set of 8-10 reps and then a set of 2-6 reps).
    - Dips (2 sets)
    These are 3/2 x 5-8? - These should be higher reps, 10-15 would be my recommendation.
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    These are 2/1 x 8 - 12? - Again I would go higher on the reps here, 10-15+ and include a couple of drops for an extended set.

- Squats (4 sets)
    These are 4/2 x 3-5? - I would go with the 4-8 rep range on the SLDL and save the lower reps for standard deadlifts.
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets) This is 2 x 5-8? - For these I would do higher reps as well, 8-10 each leg.
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    And finally these are 3/2 8 - 12? - For the calf raises I would work with a variety of rep ranges, perhaps a set of 25, set of 10-15, and then set of 5 and maybe even extend that set into a drop set if you are feeling up to it.

I apologise if what I am asking seems stupid, I'd rather be clear on the work load before I jump right into this.

Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by imbored205 View Post
    So I have limited equipment and dont know what to replace some of the exercises with. I have a squat rack, bench, pull up bar, barbell, and 2 dumbbells that you change weight on. Drop setting with dumbbells wouldnt really be possible since itll take more than ten seconds to change weight.

I basically dont have any machines or cables.

Bolded is what I dont have access to. What can I replace them with?

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    Maybe flyes for this?
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    Obviously not Tom but I would do these in place of your bolded:
    - different grip chin up/pull up or body rows to a bar in a rack
    - tate press, close grip bench press,
    -DB flies
    - modified glute ham raise/front squat

adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50) adambannon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just started this routine last week before I got sick. Ive been doing a three day split for the past 2 1/2 months but I was training in the 8-12 rep range for every exercise.

A couple questions I have about the program:

Can I switch out Db bench press for barball and incline barbell for incline db press?

Is it okay to switch lunges for leg press?

Thanks for the routine. Looking forward to getting rolling on it

CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000) CurltonBench is a name known to all. (+5000)
    move delts over to leg day duh. how can you even train delts after 3 heavy presses
    I lift therefore I Misc

*cant be arsed to have a nice sig since mods delete it every 2 seconds for no reason crew*

Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was a bit hesitant on the lunges myself, it is something you usually see the girls at the gym do with 3lb dumbells in each hand, but, trust me, they are a good exercise with a barbell and some weight on your back. I do static lunges (not walking). Leg press is a separate exercise in the routine anyway
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150040863

Max Lifts

Squat 135kgs (297 lbs)
    Bench 105kgs (231 lbs)
    Deads 160kgs (352lbs)

adeelo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tom,

I have started doing this routine and am really liking it so far. I have a clarification question about the drop sets. If doing a drop set for let's say hammer curls, the recommended number of reps is 8-12. Is that total number of reps across all the sets in the drop set? The alternative option is to do 8-12 reps in each set of the drop set.

Thanks in advance

vbarvmuuj1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)

- Squats (4 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Hi Tom,
    I am starting this program today and I have some questions.(I am sorry if they sound stupid)

1.Chins on back day-you mean wide grip chins?And can I add weight?

2.dips-can I add weight?

3.How should the warm up looks like?should I do a normal warm up for the first compound moves or should I warm up for each of the exercises?or just doing 5 minutes cradio?

4.My abs are weak and I feel it Affects my squats and deadlifts, how would you add abs workout to the program?

Pord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cleans?

If I would like to add Cleans to this workout which day should they be added and in what order? Thanks so much for the great program. I have been doing it for one month and I really like it.

Originally Posted by CurltonBench View Post
    move delts over to leg day duh. how can you even train delts after 3 heavy presses
    By training them during 3 heavy presses.

Responses are listed below in bold, hope this information is helpful.

Originally Posted by DelonL View Post
    Hey, Tom, first of all thank you for posting such a wonderful routine,
    but here's some question I have :
    I originally was doing SS but recently I have moved and my current gym only
    has a smith machine, not a free weight squat rack.
    So I was thinking is it better to do a smith machine squat or a leg press?
    I feel pretty uncomfortable squatting in a smith...

If you are uncomfortable squatting in the smith machine then I would go with the Leg Press, does your gym also have a Hack Squat?

Also, I cannot do chin/pull-ups, what other alternatives do you recommend?

Do you have a resistance band or a machine that will allow you to do assisted pull-up's?

Does the sets written include warm-ups?

You should 'warm-up' at the beginning of the workout and ramp-up on your first couple of sets with the first movement. It depends on the individual but I would likely do 1-2 ramp up sets on additional movements depending on the pace of your workout and your current strength levels. The number of sets designated in the program are 'working sets' meaning that they should be somewhat challenging although not always necessarily to failure (I would go to failure on one set per exercises).

SLDLs always seem to give me back problems, is there an alternative too?

You could try doing SLDL's with the smith machine so that your form is more controlled, or simply do them lighter with dumbbells to increase ROM rather than focus on using a ton of weight. If you absolutely cannot do them then you could do standing leg curls if your gym has that machine.

My gym does not have a cable pushdown machine or a cable crossover, what other
    exercises are there?

You can do triceps extensions with a barbell (either overhead or 'skull crushers') and can use a 'pec deck' or do flyes with a dumbbell to replace the crossovers.

Are chair dips a good replacement compared to dip machines?

No, they are a different movement since you are lifting a much lower percentage of your body weight and typically have a limited ROM. If you have an assisted dip machine or resistance band to assist you I would go with that, chair/bench dips would be a last resort.

I'm at about 18% BF and is trying to cut, so what SETs or REPs are recommended? I was thinking of going 3 sets not including warm up at a 8-12 range.

If you are trying to improve your body composition then your diet is going to be the #1 thing that you should focus on. The #2 thing that you focus on should be increasing your metabolism and therefore I would recommend adding some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardiovascular work to your routine, 3-4 days per week. I would not focus on sets and reps with the workout but would stay in the 4-12 rep range since you are looking to build muscle, and would take shorter rest periods to burn more calories while weight training.

The programs listed in this thread all include number of sets and reps and they are based on the value of the exercise, so in some cases you may do (5) sets of one exercise and only (2) of another based on the return on investment that the movement provides.

Since I'm going for a cut, I was thinking of doing cardio on rest days, tue/thur
    will that make me lose fat faster?

I would do your cardiovascular training on both training and some rest days, leaving one day per week completely dedicated to rest.

If so, what cardio do you think is good for a person with back complications?

You need to speak with your physician if you have an injury or suspect a medical condition. In general swimming is a low impact form of cardio and elliptical machines are typically easy on your back so you may want to discuss those options with a medical professional.

Here are my front, back, and side view if that is all necessary.
    Attachment 5185273
    Attachment 5185283
    Attachment 5185293

Thank you so much once again, Tom.
    Have a great day.

Originally Posted by imbored205 View Post
    So I have limited equipment and dont know what to replace some of the exercises with. I have a squat rack, bench, pull up bar, barbell, and 2 dumbbells that you change weight on. Drop setting with dumbbells wouldnt really be possible since itll take more than ten seconds to change weight.

I basically dont have any machines or cables.

Bolded is what I dont have access to. What can I replace them with?

- Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

- Dips (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    Maybe flyes for this?
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)
    Here are my recommendations for comparable exercises:
    • Close Grip Pulldowns = These can be replaced with pull-up's (underhand, medium/close grip).
    • Pushdowns = You can purchase a resistance band from Wal-Mart for $10 which would allow you to do push-downs as long as you have a power rack. An alternative would be to simply replace them with 'skull crushers' (can be done on an incline bench to keep a health ROM if you typically have elbow issues).
    • Cable Crossover / Pec Deck = You could either do DB Flyes or do wide grip push-up's
    • Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset = If you have a sled you could do sled drags, and if not you could simply increase the volume a bit on the SLDL's.

Responses are below in bold, if there is anything else that you would like to discuss just let me know.

Originally Posted by adambannon View Post
    I just started this routine last week before I got sick. Ive been doing a three day split for the past 2 1/2 months but I was training in the 8-12 rep range for every exercise.

A couple questions I have about the program:

Can I switch out Db bench press for barball and incline barbell for incline db press?

The reason that I designed the program with DB bench and incline barbell was to preserve shoulder health. In my opinion the dumbbells also do a better job of building your pectorals while the barbell for incline allows you to use more triceps/shoulders which are also target muscles for the 'Pressing' workout. You can still build an impressive physique either way so if you really favor barbell bench and DB incline then you can go for it, but if you start to experience any shoulder issues you may want to reconfigure things back to the original template.

Is it okay to switch lunges for leg press?

No, they are completely different movements. If you do not want to perform walking/standing lunges then you can switch them out for front squats or sissy squats (weighted). If you wanted to switch them because you would prefer a machine movement then you could go with Hack Squats.

Thanks for the routine. Looking forward to getting rolling on it

Originally Posted by CurltonBench View Post
    You would take away from your leg training if you decided to move Deltoid training to the beginning of that workout, and you would likely be more exhausted doing it at the end if you pressed two days prior and then just performed heavy lower body movements.

Rather than adding to 'Leg Day' it would actually work better to simply train them a separate day on their own if you were set on moving them to another day. Saturday would be my recommendation and this way you could focus on that muscle group individually and allow enough time to recover from your pressing session on Wednesday.

Originally Posted by Sen8or View Post
    I was a bit hesitant on the lunges myself, it is something you usually see the girls at the gym do with 3lb dumbells in each hand, but, trust me, they are a good exercise with a barbell and some weight on your back. I do static lunges (not walking). Leg press is a separate exercise in the routine anyway
    Glad to hear that the program is working well for you.

When I was doing more 'power-building' focused training I would do a lot of standing lunges on to a box or plate. These can be done heavy and will definitely build up your quad size/strength.

shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500) shotgunsays is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm going to give this program a go once I've recovered fully from my surgery. I tore my meniscus and right glute, so I'm betting that i've lost a majority of my strength. This looks like it could help me get it back quickly. As far as progression goes, Are you adding weight each workout or shooting for more reps? I'm sure this has been answered, but what I was thinking was on the big lifts, shoot for 3-5+ reps on the final set and once you get above 5 its time to add weight.
    2 corinthians 2:19

DelonL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Responses are listed below in bold, hope this information is helpful.
    If you are uncomfortable squatting in the smith machine then I would go with the Leg Press, does your gym also have a Hack Squat?
    Uhm, no since my gym is a university gym it lacks alot of equipment although it is free.

Do you have a resistance band or a machine that will allow you to do assisted pull-up's?
    Once again, no but I could spend some money on resistance band but before that any good alternatives?

If you are trying to improve your body composition then your diet is going to be the #1 thing that you should focus on. The #2 thing that you focus on should be increasing your metabolism and therefore I would recommend adding some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) cardiovascular work to your routine, 3-4 days per week. I would not focus on sets and reps with the workout but would stay in the 4-12 rep range since you are looking to build muscle, and would take shorter rest periods to burn more calories while weight training.

I'm trying very hard to keep my diet in check.
    What are some good examples of HIIT routine?

Also, what's a good weight loss progress? I'm losing weight at a range of .3-1lbs.

Thank you so much for your insights, I really appreciate them!

Originally Posted by adeelo View Post
    Tom,

I have started doing this routine and am really liking it so far. I have a clarification question about the drop sets. If doing a drop set for let's say hammer curls, the recommended number of reps is 8-12. Is that total number of reps across all the sets in the drop set? The alternative option is to do 8-12 reps in each set of the drop set.

Thanks in advance
    For the drop sets I would recommend keeping your first set in the 8-12 rep range and then the drops can be higher/lower depending on the magnitude and number of drops that you are doing, although there are a few different approaches. Typically I like to keep the reps a little lower on each set and use more frequent drops - every 10 lbs is usually what I go with for dumbbell movements as long as I am keeping a rep or two in the tank on the first set of the drop set.

Here are a few options of ways to configure a drop set for someone who can Hammer Curl 40 lbs dumbbells for 10-12 reps:

Option 1:

40 lbs DB's x 10-12
    20 lbs DB's x 10-12

Option 2:

40 lbs DB's x 8
    30 lbs DB's x 8
    20 lbs DB's x 8
    10 lbs DB's x 8

Option 3:

40 lbs DB's x 5
    30 lbs DB's x 10
    20 lbs DB's x 15
    10 lbs DB's x 20

Option 4:

55 lbs DB's x 3
    45 lbs DB's x 5
    35 lbs DB's x 7
    25 lbs DB's x 9
    15 lbs DB's x 11 (or failure)

As you will see the final two options deviate from the rep scheme, but they should all prove to be challenging and serve as a good 'finisher' for your workout.

Responses are below in bold, hopefully this answers your questions:

Originally Posted by vbarvmuuj1 View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I am starting this program today and I have some questions.(I am sorry if they sound stupid)

1.Chins on back day-you mean wide grip chins?And can I add weight?

Medium or wide grip (shoulder width or wider), and you can absolutely do them weighted and even go to failure on the final set with just your body weight.

2.dips-can I add weight?

Yes, definitely.

3.How should the warm up looks like?should I do a normal warm up for the first compound moves or should I warm up for each of the exercises?or just doing 5 minutes cradio?

For warm-up's I would start off with some light cardio/stretching and then warm-up the specific muscle groups that you are going to be training with light machine movements. Once you are ready for your first exercise I would start off light and with higher reps then decrease the repetitions as you ramp up to your first 'working set' to avoid fatigue.

4.My abs are weak and I feel it Affects my squats and deadlifts, how would you add abs workout to the program?

You can add abdominal training either one or two sessions per week and either do them in conjunction with workouts or on 'rest' days, I would just make sure to have at least two days between your sessions if you decide to go with two. Also, if you are going to do weighted abdominal work make sure to train your lower back work as well to maintain balance.

Originally Posted by Pord View Post
    If I would like to add Cleans to this workout which day should they be added and in what order? Thanks so much for the great program. I have been doing it for one month and I really like it.
    I am glad to hear that you like the program so far. For the Cleans you can alternate them in place of Deadlifts on the Pulling workout every other week, or could reduce the number of sets of squats and add them in on Friday. With cleans I would not perform high reps and instead would do 3-5 progressive sets of 1-3 reps. If you really wanted to focus on your clean then you could alternate in High Pulls in place of Deadlifts every other week and reduce your number of sets of squats down to 2-3 sets while adding 3-4 sets of cleans to the Lower Body workout.