Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by muffinman51432 View Post
    Tom, I love your routines however my "Goals" have changed. Since joining the Coast Guard I don't always have time to workout (believe it or now) we have a small gym at my station and i'm their anywhere from Friday-Monday morning and sometimes I am unable to work out. I need "functional strength" and some "wind" to go with it and I also need to keep my running up. Any recommendations for a routine that has heavy lifting and some endurance added to it?
    I would recommend a program where you incorporate a heavy compound movement (3x3, 5x5, or a cluster set) in the beginning to include a strength component and then hammer a barbell (or kettlebell) complex to give you the 'conditioning' component that you are looking for. An example would be a session where you work up to a heavy triple on squats and then do a complex of [high pull - power clean - front squat - repeat] as many reps as possible in 15 minutes, or 5-10 rounds as quickly as possible. These workouts would be under 30 minutes and would include effective training for both strength and conditioning. Hope this helps! I would be happy to elaborate and provide specific recommendations if you would like.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Squnk View Post
    Hi Tom, i have been working out on and off for like 1-2 years and had have decent gains. I stumped on this thread when i was searching for a push pull routine but im gonna try the 4/5 day split that you posted. I have modified the split and just wanted your opinions on it if i should use different rep ranges because im not sure about the rep ranges especially on the arm workout. My primary goal is hyperthrophy and 2nd is to get my bench , squat and deadlift up.

Back:

- Deadlift: 5 sets of 3-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: 3-5 sets / 25 total chins
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - One Arm DB Rows 2 sets of 10-15

Chest & Shoulders:

- Incline Barbell Press 5 sets of 3-5 reps
    - DB Military Press 3 sets of 5-10
    - Incline Chest Press 2 sets of 8
    - DB Fly 2 sets of 12
    - Lateral Raises 2 sets of 10-15
    - DB Bench Press 2 sets of 10
    - Cable Upright Rows 2 sets of 10
    - Face Pulls 3 sets of 10-15

Legs:

- Squats: 5 sets of 3-5 reps
    - Standing Lunges: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: 3 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Leg Extension 2 sets of 10-15
    - Leg Curl: 2 sets of 10-15 reps
    - Leg Press: 2 sets of 10-15 reps

Arms:

- Dips 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - EZ Bar Curls 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Close Grip Bench Press 2 sets of 8-10
    - Alternating DB Curls 2 sets of 8-10
    - DB overhead Extensions 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Hammer Curls 2 sets of 8-10 reps
    - Pushdowns 2 sets of 10-15 reps
    - Biceps Machine 2 sets of 10-15 reps

Thx in advance and great workout templates and thread =)
    Those rep ranges look good, although you may want to train in some lower rep ranges on the 'big three' if strength is your primary objective for those movements. Depending on your intensity level you may be able to increase the overall volume a bit on accessory movements as well (if your primary goal is hypertrophy you likely want to find a balance between intensity and volume in order to maximize muscle gain).

KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Replies are below in bold.

Hope that this helps!
    Thanks, Tom!

I've been following up with your 4 day split since June, and I love it. Although I haven't been doing it exactly as you have it.

But here is where I stand now with things. Can you critique and tell me how it looks? I am not doing squats or DL's because my lower back can't handle the weight right now. I'll just post my back routine for now. Thanks again

Monday - Back:
    ICarian Row" 3 sets of 5 x 127.5 lbs
    Close Grip Lat pull : 2 sets of 8 x 172.5
    High-Row Hammer Strength: 2 sets of 8 x 112.5
    Lower back extension machine 2 sets of 10 X 142.5
    Low Row Hammer Strength: 2 sets 8 x 75
    Rear Pec Fly Reverse: 2 sets of 10 x 70

ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ChrisVigor is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey tom, save me? Jk.

Started lifting in December @250 lbs 30%+ BF and cut down to 187 (now). Strength started from a level lower than the floor--1 plate bench 1rm, 1.5 plates deads and squat, and absolutely no chins or pullups were possible at this stage. Strength went up the following months, hit 2.5 plate bench 1rm 3 plates deads and squats and 5x5 pullups (this was around 210 lbs)

Now I'm back down to a quivering 2 plate bench 1rm, 2.5 plates deads and squats.

What do?

I was on a back/bi, chest/tri, shoulders/deads, legs/abs split since my gym partner called the shots.

Will a particular p/p/l routine help my hypertrophy/strength gains?

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Tom, good work out program. I started 4 weeks ago. So far I am up 3 lbs/bodyweight and my squad/dead lifts are both over 400. I think the low reps on compound lifts def got my strength up. The only thing I noticed is I tend to blast through these workouts in under an hour. Overall its worked well.

Originally Posted by KRich227 View Post
    Thanks, Tom!

I've been following up with your 4 day split since June, and I love it. Although I haven't been doing it exactly as you have it.

But here is where I stand now with things. Can you critique and tell me how it looks? I am not doing squats or DL's because my lower back can't handle the weight right now. I'll just post my back routine for now. Thanks again

Monday - Back:
    ICarian Row" 3 sets of 5 x 127.5 lbs
    Close Grip Lat pull : 2 sets of 8 x 172.5
    High-Row Hammer Strength: 2 sets of 8 x 112.5
    Lower back extension machine 2 sets of 10 X 142.5
    Low Row Hammer Strength: 2 sets 8 x 75
    Rear Pec Fly Reverse: 2 sets of 10 x 70
    If you are having some back issues then it may be tough to use free weights, but I would still start off with the plate-loaded machines (Hammer Strength / etc.) before the selectorized (pin load) machines. My only other recommendation would be to perhaps mix up the rep ranges a bit and do something like 8/6/4 on your first two movements and then maybe mix in some sets of 12-20 on some of the later movements.

Hope this is helpful and keep up the hard work in the gym!

KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KRich227 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you are having some back issues then it may be tough to use free weights, but I would still start off with the plate-loaded machines (Hammer Strength / etc.) before the selectorized (pin load) machines. My only other recommendation would be to perhaps mix up the rep ranges a bit and do something like 8/6/4 on your first two movements and then maybe mix in some sets of 12-20 on some of the later movements.

Hope this is helpful and keep up the hard work in the gym!
    Thank u for taking the time to help me out. Anyway you'd be be able to help me make a 4 day set similar to yours, but best suited for my needs? I like how you have everything split out, i just like to take some exercises out and insert others that feel better on my body. Would it be easier to communicate through email?

Originally Posted by RollTideRoll12 View Post
    Tom -
    My wife, started going to the gym with me in mid-May to do this workout........

today, on pull day, she did 5x5 of chinups. before may, she couldn't do one. (I can still only hack out 3x5 on a good day, im still a lot overweight!)

She now gets compliments all the time on her physique, especially her shoulders and back.
    She always had lower back problems, but is now deadlifting her body weight every monday

I love the program as well, it adds a bit more 'cardio' than the 5x5 or Madcow I was doing.

Do you recommend this to keep going if someone like myself has aspirations for Strongman style workouts/physique?? My ultimate goal is to look as big as a house, and look like i could move one as well!!
    I am very excited to hear about the progress that your Wife has made - that is some great work.

If you are looking to build a powerful physique with a balance of strength/mass then I think that the 4/5 day split that I posted on the first page would be a great option, and could be modified if you have specific muscle groups or movements that you are targeting. I apologize for the delayed response but if you are still looking at programs just post here and I will monitor the thread more closely; or you can PM me as a reminder if you post and do not see a reply.

Thank you, and once again congratulations on you and your Wife's transformations!

Originally Posted by ChrisVigor View Post
    Hey tom, save me? Jk.

Started lifting in December @250 lbs 30%+ BF and cut down to 187 (now). Strength started from a level lower than the floor--1 plate bench 1rm, 1.5 plates deads and squat, and absolutely no chins or pullups were possible at this stage. Strength went up the following months, hit 2.5 plate bench 1rm 3 plates deads and squats and 5x5 pullups (this was around 210 lbs)

Now I'm back down to a quivering 2 plate bench 1rm, 2.5 plates deads and squats.

What do?

I was on a back/bi, chest/tri, shoulders/deads, legs/abs split since my gym partner called the shots.

Will a particular p/p/l routine help my hypertrophy/strength gains?
    Great job on the weight loss, that is some solid progress.

Are you looking for something that gives you a mix of hypertrophy (muscle building) and strength? I believe that the 3-day or the 4/5-day splits posted in the beginning of this thread could work well for you, and if you would like I can write up a modified version with a bit more focus on volume for hypertrophy or more focus on power if strength is a bigger concern at this time.

Let me know your specific goals and I am happy to help!

Thank u for taking the time to help me out. Anyway you'd be be able to help me make a 4 day set similar to yours, but best suited for my needs? I like how you have everything split out, i just like to take some exercises out and insert others that feel better on my body. Would it be easier to communicate through email?
    Also, u might have already answered this, but is it okay to split the exercises you have as supersets into 2 single exercises(example: close grip bench/pushdown? Would you still do 2 reps for each? What's your thoughts?

Also, u might have already answered this, but is it okay to split the exercises you have as supersets into 2 single exercises(example: close grip bench/pushdown? Would you still do 2 reps for each? What's your thoughts?
    Good question - and I do not think anyone has asked it before.

I would advise most trainees to include the super-sets since they are intended to push you a bit harder in terms of strength endurance/conditioning and give some good overall volume to the program without beating you up too bad from a recovery perspective (lighter weights will still be effective which gives less 'wear and tear' on your joints and nervous system).

If you were not comfortable with super-sets or you train in a facility where that would be a challenge then my recommendation would be to still perform high-rep sets at the end of the workout and instead of the super-sets turn the movements into drop-sets. The drop-sets can be done with a number of different rep schemes although my favorite are to either use a weight that I can hit for 8-15 reps and then drop 25-50% and knock out another 8-15 reps, or to use heavier weights and lower reps but may frequent drops.

For example:

Option 1:

Bench Press 225 lbs x 15 then 185 lbs x 10 (no rest between sets other than changing the weights)

Option 2:

Bench Press 275 lbs x 5, 255 lbs x 5, 235 lbs x 5, 215 lbs x 5, 195 lbs x 5 (might have to get a bit creative with how you load the bar on these type of drop-sets, much easier with selectorized/pin loaded machines).

----

Hope this helps!

Quick bump for this thread - let me know if I can help anyone with their training!

BRick523 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Quick bump for this thread - let me know if I can help anyone with their training!
    Hey Tom,

I wanted to get your take on training frequency. I typically hit most muscle groups twice a week but I was interested on hearing your take since you have listed a 3 and 4 day split. Which do you think is optimal for strength and hypertrophy? I train with more of a powerbuilding style and have some powerlifting meets coming up in the winter months. I have incorporated strongman training in the past and am doing so again (with limited access to equipment) and I would like to see what you recommend as a split. Do you believe in a 4 day once a week split with a possible events day or do you feel that a twice a week approach is more effective for strength and hypertrophy.

A few questions about your 4 day split:

1) How long do you recommend sticking with this split? I've been on it since July. I switched off of a full body routine(ICF 5x5) I am one of those guys who really doesn't like to change routines in a workout especially when I keep seeing gains from it, or do u recommend switching things up?

2) Correct me if i'm wrong, but this split is both a mass and hypertrophy, right? That's the main draw I had to this split, because I want to add strength but also be able to build on my smaller muscles(bi's/tri's)

3) I like to shrug, and I have been doing it on chest day as my last exercise. Is this okay?, or would u incorporate this differently?

4) Also for arm day, I do the Biceps Machine(Plate loaded) instead of preacher curls, and superset that with Hammer curls. Is this okay?

5) I'm going to post my latest sets on various body parts, I would like you to recommend whether to increase weight or stay

Chest
    Incline Barbell :1. 5 x205 2. 5 x205 3. 4 x205
    DB Bench :1. 10 x80 2. 10 x80

Back
    Close Grip Pull :1. 8 x140 : 2. 7 x140 plus Seated V Bar Superset: 1. 9 x92.5 2. 9x92.5

Shoulders/Arms
    DB Press : 1. 8 x55 2. 8 x55 3. 8 x55

Close Grip bench: 1. 10 x 75 2. 9 x75 plus Pushdown Superset 1. 10 x90 2. 7 x90
    Last edited by KRich227; 10-30-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Originally Posted by BRick523 View Post
    Hey Tom,

I wanted to get your take on training frequency. I typically hit most muscle groups twice a week but I was interested on hearing your take since you have listed a 3 and 4 day split. Which do you think is optimal for strength and hypertrophy? I train with more of a powerbuilding style and have some powerlifting meets coming up in the winter months. I have incorporated strongman training in the past and am doing so again (with limited access to equipment) and I would like to see what you recommend as a split. Do you believe in a 4 day once a week split with a possible events day or do you feel that a twice a week approach is more effective for strength and hypertrophy.
    This question comes up quite a bit and my observation/experience has been that different things work for different people; and a lot of it depends on factors such as your training intensity, lifestyle, supplements/diet, strength levels, etc.

In general I would say that you do not 'need' to train more than once per week for most muscle groups, and anything over 2X/week can become troublesome if you do not have careful planning/programming in place. If you are doing strongman event training then I would only train each muscle group in the gym once per week, with the event day hitting all major muscle groups for the second time each week. If your strongman event day is more 'conditioning focused' then you might be able to get away with a bit more volume during the week, or if you separate out pressing movements from the strongman day that also changes things.

In the article 'Creating an Effective Strongman Routine' (posted here: http://mutaffis.wordpress.com/articles/) I provide some example templates that could be helpful. For me I have usually had success in doing three gym days when I am doing serious event training, but in some cases I have done four if I wanted to add in a bit more volume for secondary muscle groups like calves, deltoids, biceps, etc.

Here is one example that could work well:

Monday = Upper Body - Pulling (Pull Ups, Rows, High Pulls, Cleans, etc.)
    Tuesday = Upper Body - Pressing (Incline, Push Press, Dips, etc.)
    Wednesday = Legs (Front Squat, Deadlift Variations, Box Squats, High Rep Machine Work, etc.)
    Thursday = Arms & Shoulders (Raises, Curls, Pushdowns, etc.)
    Friday = Rest / Stretching
    Saturday = Event Training
    Sunday = Rest / Active Recovery

Hope this helps, I would be happy to expand on things or brainstorm if you would like.

I have read your articles and I was really having a hard time deciding on what I should do other than simple trial and error. I really like what you just laid out and think it would be pretty beneficial. Any suggestions on exercises in a regular gym that could be used on an event day if access to equipment happens to be limited and do you throw in any extra volume on events day for areas that do not get as much work during events?

Thanks for your help so far

I will reply in bold to each of your questions to make everything easier to keep track of.

A few questions about your 4 day split:

1) How long do you recommend sticking with this split? I've been on it since July. I switched off of a full body routine(ICF 5x5) I am one of those guys who really doesn't like to change routines in a workout especially when I keep seeing gains from it, or do u recommend switching things up?

If you are still seeing progress with the training split then there is no reason to change things up unless you get bored, and you could always start off with minor modifications such as swapping out movements or adjusting rep ranges. There is a 4/5 day split that I wrote which could be a nice program to transition over to from the 3-day if you have enjoyed it so far.

2) Correct me if i'm wrong, but this split is both a mass and hypertrophy, right? That's the main draw I had to this split, because I want to add strength but also be able to build on my smaller muscles(bi's/tri's)

This training split can be used for building muscle and building strength, and your diet will determine the overall amount of mass that you pack on. For strength purposes I would keep the rep ranges lower on the primary movements or perhaps alternate between 'heavy' and 'volume' sessions depending on strength levels. If you are training for a specific strength sport such as Powerlifting or Strongman then there are some modifications that you could make to ensure that the program aligns with the goals.

3) I like to shrug, and I have been doing it on chest day as my last exercise. Is this okay?, or would u incorporate this differently?

I would do shrugs on your 'Back' day since they are more of an upper back muscle group, but if you find that you are fatigued on Back day and would rather do them on the Chest day then that is fine as well. Although you like shrugs have you tried doing some high pulls or wide grip upright rows? I have found that those hit my traps quite well, in addition to farmers walks or dumbbell holds.

4) Also for arm day, I do the Biceps Machine(Plate loaded) instead of preacher curls, and superset that with Hammer curls. Is this okay?

A preacher curl machine in place of free weight preacher curl is fine, especially if you are super-setting with a free weight movement.

5) I'm going to post my latest sets on various body parts, I would like you to recommend whether to increase weight or stay

Chest
    Incline Barbell :1. 5 x205 2. 5 x205 3. 4 x205 -> I would increase weight but only slightly, look for something that you can hit for 5-6 with an all-out effort and then try to knock out two sets of (4) with the same weight.
    DB Bench :1. 10 x80 2. 10 x80 -> How challenging are these sets? If you are grinding out the last couple on the second set then stick with this weight, if not then go up 5-10 lbs/hand.

Back
    Close Grip Pull :1. 8 x140 : 2. 7 x140 plus Seated V Bar Superset: 1. 9 x92.5 2. 9x92.5 -> Depends on difficulty but might want to increase the Seated V-Bar slightly.

Shoulders/Arms
    DB Press : 1. 8 x55 2. 8 x55 3. 8 x55 -> For this I would use different weights and go with something like 50 lbs x 10, 60 lbs x 6-8, 55 lbs x 8.

Close Grip bench: 1. 10 x 75 2. 9 x75 plus Pushdown Superset 1. 10 x90 2. 7 x90 -> I would go slightly heavier on the close grip bench so that you are hitting 8-10 per set, and then go lighter on the pushdowns and knock out a few more reps on them. I personally like to do sets of 15-25 reps on pushdowns.
    Hope this helps! Feel free to post additional questions or ask for further clarification.

I will reply in bold to each of your questions to make everything easier to keep track of.

Hope this helps! Feel free to post additional questions or ask for further clarification.
    Of course it helps. Thanks for being so nice and offering to help us out. And, i'm already on your 4/5 day split. Started with the 3 day, but moved to the 4 day because i liked it better.

Originally Posted by BRick523 View Post
    I have read your articles and I was really having a hard time deciding on what I should do other than simple trial and error. I really like what you just laid out and think it would be pretty beneficial. Any suggestions on exercises in a regular gym that could be used on an event day if access to equipment happens to be limited and do you throw in any extra volume on events day for areas that do not get as much work during events?

Thanks for your help so far
    If you do not have access to strongman implements then I would focus your gym training on the following movements:

- Front Squats
    - Incline Bench & Push Press
    - Deadlift & Deadlift Variations (Rack Pulls, Snatch Grip, SLDL, etc.)
    - Hang Cleans OR Power Cleans OR DB Snatches (great for conditioning and coordination - I would keep these light). High-rep box squats or leg press are also a good for conditioning.
    - Dumbbell Or Barbell Rows (no real direct carryover but it helps to have a strong upper back and you want to balance out your Back work with your Pressing)

There are some events that you can simulate in the gym, for example you could use a t-bar row setup to simulate picking up a stone by simple grabbing around the 45's. Or you could simulate a Car Deadlift' using a Hammer Strength side handle deadlift machine. You can do farmers walk with dumbbells (because the DB's are balanced they are much harder, so a 125 lbs DB farmers is similar to a 200+ regular farmers).

It does not take a ton of event work to achieve basic proficiency so even if you only trained events 1-2 times per month you could still do quite well in strongman as long as you continue to build strength and conditioning in the gym.

Let me know if you have a specific contest in mind and I can help you to put together a basic program with gym lifts that would prepare you for those specific events.

If you do not have access to strongman implements then I would focus your gym training on the following movements:

- Front Squats
    - Incline Bench & Push Press
    - Deadlift & Deadlift Variations (Rack Pulls, Snatch Grip, SLDL, etc.)
    - Hang Cleans OR Power Cleans OR DB Snatches (great for conditioning and coordination - I would keep these light). High-rep box squats or leg press are also a good for conditioning.
    - Dumbbell Or Barbell Rows (no real direct carryover but it helps to have a strong upper back and you want to balance out your Back work with your Pressing)

There are some events that you can simulate in the gym, for example you could use a t-bar row setup to simulate picking up a stone by simple grabbing around the 45's. Or you could simulate a Car Deadlift' using a Hammer Strength side handle deadlift machine. You can do farmers walk with dumbbells (because the DB's are balanced they are much harder, so a 125 lbs DB farmers is similar to a 200+ regular farmers).

It does not take a ton of event work to achieve basic proficiency so even if you only trained events 1-2 times per month you could still do quite well in strongman as long as you continue to build strength and conditioning in the gym.

Let me know if you have a specific contest in mind and I can help you to put together a basic program with gym lifts that would prepare you for those specific events.
    Thanks Again, will definitely play around with this and see how it goes. As for right now I don't have any strongman competitions but I really enjoy the training style. I am geared toward upcoming powerlifting meets but I will keep you posted if I find any local strongman competitions in the upcoming months. Thanks again for the advice, you are a great inspiration.

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Tom, I like your split. It's nice to see someone still advocating the P/P/L hitting each muscle group once a week kinda training.

I'm coming back after a long lay off (2 years). I have an old shoulder injury so avoid OH pressing and have to incorporate a lot of shoulder assistance work in any routine routine I do.

I was wondering if you'd check out my split. I'm on week 4 so far. I had planned on having Friday as a shoulder rehab/core day, but so far I've only been doing the 3 days P/P/L. I considered just incorporating the exercises on Friday into the other days and just doing 3 days/week. I haven't decided yet. Also, I plan to add deadlifts/rack pulls to back and perform pendlay rows instead of regular BB rows once I've been back at it a bit longer and feel stronger.

I like simplicity and a shorter more focused, intense workout. I like to give a couple of exercises my all rather than plow through tons of exercises. My goals are simply to make my body look good. I have no real interest in power lifting. I do enjoy deadlifts and pendlay rows, and being stronger is something I know comes with just lifting regularly anyway.

Monday:
    Broomstick stretches 2x30
    Cuban Rotations 3x20

One arm DB rows 3x8
    Chins 3xmax
    BB row 3x8

DB hammer curls 2x10

Tuesday:
    Cuban Rotations 3x20

Incline DB press 3x8
    Decline DB press 3x8
    CGBP 3x8

Skulls 2x10

Thursday:
    Squat 4x8
    RDL 3x8-10
    DB Lunges 3x20

Friday:
    Broomstick Stretches 2x30
    Cuban Rotations 3x20
    Front DB raises 3x12-14
    Side DB raises 3x12-14
    Reverse Flies 3x12-14

Crunches 3x20
    Leg raises 3x20
    Back extensions 3x20
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Might of missed it, but if I'm interested In a PPL routine ethat's twice a week, followed by a rest day.. Would you still follow the layout on the first post? Or drop some things?
    Basically I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB (have been for 8 cycles+) and in a few months I'll be changing it up possibly to a diff routine (PPL caught my eye)... Thoughts ?
    - US Army - 19D - OEF 11/12
    - Currently running 531 and highly recommend it
    - Last weigh in : 181lbs
    - Goal weight : 190lbs (bulking)

Originally Posted by Skwidward View Post
    Hey Tom, I like your split. It's nice to see someone still advocating the P/P/L hitting each muscle group once a week kinda training.

I'm coming back after a long lay off (2 years). I have an old shoulder injury so avoid OH pressing and have to incorporate a lot of shoulder assistance work in any routine routine I do.

I was wondering if you'd check out my split. I'm on week 4 so far. I had planned on having Friday as a shoulder rehab/core day, but so far I've only been doing the 3 days P/P/L. I considered just incorporating the exercises on Friday into the other days and just doing 3 days/week. I haven't decided yet. Also, I plan to add deadlifts/rack pulls to back and perform pendlay rows instead of regular BB rows once I've been back at it a bit longer and feel stronger.

I like simplicity and a shorter more focused, intense workout. I like to give a couple of exercises my all rather than plow through tons of exercises. My goals are simply to make my body look good. I have no real interest in power lifting. I do enjoy deadlifts and pendlay rows, and being stronger is something I know comes with just lifting regularly anyway.

Monday:
    Cuban Rotations 3x20

One arm DB rows 3x8
    Chins 3xmax
    BB row 3x8

DB hammer curls 2x10

Tuesday:
    Cuban Rotations 3x20

Incline DB press 3x8
    Decline DB press 3x8
    CGBP 3x8

Skulls 2x10

Thursday:
    Squat 4x8
    RDL 3x8-10
    DB Lunges 3x20

Friday:
    Broomstick Stretches 2x30
    Cuban Rotations 3x20
    Front DB raises 3x12-14
    Side DB raises 3x12-14
    Reverse Flies 3x12-14

Crunches 3x20
    Leg raises 3x20
    Back extensions 3x20
    I think that the overall template looks good.

Here are my thoughts on potential areas for improvement:

* With your shoulder prehab/rehab work I noticed that you are doing broomstick stretches and rotations, have you thought about adding Face Pulls and Band Pull-Aparts?

* The Friday workout could potentially be modified slightly to include Biceps, Triceps, and Shoulders (Would also take Curls away from Monday giving you more time to Deadlift/Row - you could do something like Alternating DB Curls AND/OR Hammer Curls, Skull Crushers AND/OR Push-Downs, and then the Raises on Fridays).

* Depending on your bar position for squats you may want to look at including an additional exercise for either hamstrings or quads. Do you squat with an upright body position, narrow stance, and bar high on your traps? Or do you squat with the bar a bit lower, wider stance, and more of a forward lean? Or something in-between?

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to brainstorm a bit more.

Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skwidward is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think that the overall template looks good.

Here are my thoughts on potential areas for improvement:

* With your shoulder prehab/rehab work I noticed that you are doing broomstick stretches and rotations, have you thought about adding Face Pulls and Band Pull-Aparts?

* The Friday workout could potentially be modified slightly to include Biceps, Triceps, and Shoulders (Would also take Curls away from Monday giving you more time to Deadlift/Row - you could do something like Alternating DB Curls AND/OR Hammer Curls, Skull Crushers AND/OR Push-Downs, and then the Raises on Fridays).

* Depending on your bar position for squats you may want to look at including an additional exercise for either hamstrings or quads. Do you squat with an upright body position, narrow stance, and bar high on your traps? Or do you squat with the bar a bit lower, wider stance, and more of a forward lean? Or something in-between?

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like to brainstorm a bit more.
    Thanks for the input. I've never done face pulls but plan to add them. I workout at home right now with squat stands. I do have a gym membership. A big reason I don't deadlift or pendlay row is due to the fact that I'm in an upstairs apartment. Whenever I do get back to going to the gym (dunno why I'm so reluctant right now), I will add some face pulls. My leg day would also become squats, RDL, leg press, leg curls, lunges. I don't perform a low bar squat at all. However, being 6'1" and having really long legs, I do use a pretty wide stance. I've always front squatted in the past due to finding it easier to keep form. I've been back squatting lately and am ironing out my form. I posted a video in the exercise section, but I will post another this week with a decent amount of weight as suggested be the folks who commented on my form.

I may whack the arm stuff onto friday once I start deadlifting/rack pulling.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter

-Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by m0nkeh24 View Post
    Might of missed it, but if I'm interested In a PPL routine ethat's twice a week, followed by a rest day.. Would you still follow the layout on the first post? Or drop some things?
    Basically I'm doing 5/3/1 BBB (have been for 8 cycles+) and in a few months I'll be changing it up possibly to a diff routine (PPL caught my eye)... Thoughts ?
    If you are going to go with 2X/week frequency then I would recommend making one a 'heavy' day and one a 'volume' day, so you would want to adjust the rep ranges and intensity a bit.

Were you doing 5/3/1 to compete in Powerlifting? Or just because you liked the program? I could write a basic 2X/week PPL template with a focus on Bench/Squat/Deadlift.

m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000) m0nkeh24 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are going to go with 2X/week frequency then I would recommend making one a 'heavy' day and one a 'volume' day, so you would want to adjust the rep ranges and intensity a bit.

Were you doing 5/3/1 to compete in Powerlifting? Or just because you liked the program? I could write a basic 2X/week PPL template with a focus on Bench/Squat/Deadlift.
    Was doing 5/3/1 for few reasons.. Obviously to get stronger in the 3 lifts, then loved that it had the increased max each cycle forcing me to get stronger.. Looking for a routine with more intensity and reps for whenever I decide to break from 5/3/1 and focus I guess more on bodybuilding aspect, than powerlifting (whenever that day may come)..

rduran1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Tom, great thread

A few things, is this split geared towards strength/hypertrophy or both? if i my prime focus was hypertrophy, how could i change the split for the best muscle gain?

Could one do this twice a week/ 3 on 1 off?

Sorry if you have already answered similar questions. Thanks

A few more things:

Both for the Shoulders/Arms day on your 4 day split

1) As you suggested, I went up in the Close Grip Bench, and dropped down in the Pushdown for the superset(so i could hit 15-25 reps).
    My question is. My first set I hit 15 x 70, my next set hit 10 x 70. Should I stay at that weight until at least 15 reps are hit for the 2nd set?

2) I don't do dips( I injured my shoulder a few years back and that's an exercise that puts too much stress on my joints. So, my order of exercise is just slightly different.

Instead, I do Overhead DB Extensions as my 2nd exercise, right after DB Shoulder Press. I then add Rope extensions as my other Tri exercise(in place of Dips), but I do it at the very end of my workout. Anything you see wrong with this arrangement?

3) I am on a cut right now while on your 4 day split, what do you recommend for ab work? Can it be added to the end of a workout on any other days?

Thanks, Tom.

Question..

Example, 2 seta of Fri pushdowns... Is it 2 drop sets, or 1 set of drop s, making it a total of 2 sets? For the isolations accessorie

Edit: well did Push today.. Enjoyed it, what I ended up doing (correct me plz), was for example.. Did 1 regular set of push downs... Then for the next set, I did 12 reps and dropsetted 75% and did another 10.. Thx in advance
    Last edited by m0nkeh24; 11-10-2014 at 03:04 PM.

Originally Posted by m0nkeh24 View Post
    Was doing 5/3/1 for few reasons.. Obviously to get stronger in the 3 lifts, then loved that it had the increased max each cycle forcing me to get stronger.. Looking for a routine with more intensity and reps for whenever I decide to break from 5/3/1 and focus I guess more on bodybuilding aspect, than powerlifting (whenever that day may come)..
    Originally Posted by rduran1 View Post
    Hey Tom, great thread

A few things, is this split geared towards strength/hypertrophy or both? if i my prime focus was hypertrophy, how could i change the split for the best muscle gain?

Could one do this twice a week/ 3 on 1 off?

Sorry if you have already answered similar questions. Thanks
    Based on some of the requests here I put together a 2X/week PPL split and posted it in a separate thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=165013691

Please feel free to put specific questions about that type of training split in that thread and I will keep this one going for the 3-day and 4/5-Day splits that are posted at the beginning.