Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    fabisensei has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tom I wanted to ask about the complex training. I love complex training but is it sound to do a strength move by it self like a squat then another move like leg press and then a complex for the accesory moves? I need to improve my strength but the complexes would be awesome for my conditioning and phisique.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Starting Strength

Originally Posted by mynamebob View Post
    May I ask why you wouldn't recommend it? IF you could elaborate that'd be great!
    My reason for not recommending Starting Strength for most trainees is that the frequency of lower body training may not be optimal for a lot of individuals. It can also be difficult to learn proper technique on movements such as Cleans, Deadlift, and Squats which is why some new trainees could do better with machine movements to build a base for strength and then begin working their way into free weight movements which require more coordination/concentration.

Lastly, a program such as Starting Strength would not excite me personally if I am new to the gym and simply looking to improve certain aspects of my physique. How enthusiastic you are about a program can impact the results that you achieve and so I believe that is an important consideration.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mash74 View Post
    Tom
    I've been doing the free weight only version of this routine you put up a few pages back and I'm enjoying it, seeing good gains. Whenever I back squat I get knee pain, I'm thinking of getting a trap bar and doing trap bar squats instead, I did barbell hack squats and it didn't seem to bother my knee as much but the lift is a bit awkward. Do you think doing trap bar squats instead of back squats is Ok? If I did that on leg day should I still dead lift on back day?
    Thanks
    Glad that you like the program so far!

Trap Bar Deadlifts are a good lower-body movement and could be used in place of the Squat if you are having issues with that particular exercise.

Originally Posted by Sen8or View Post
    Hi Tom

With the original 3 day split on the front page, you recommend a superset of leg press and leg curl at the end of the legs workout. I am getting back to your routine after taking a mini break to work on squat form. I workout from home and don't have a leg press, would a superset of front squats and leg curl be an ok substitute?

Thanks
    Sen
    If you wanted to replace Leg Press and train at home you could do Sumo Deadlift, SLDL, or Wide Stance Box Squats. You could also simply perform a drop-set on squats instead of the super-set.

Some good lower body super-sets for training at home include:

- SLDL & Walking Lunges
    - Front Squats & Back Squats (same weight, just re-rack and keep going)
    - OLY Style Squats & Sumo Deadlift
    - Back Squats & Sled Drag or Sled Push
    - Leg Curl & Leg Extension (if you have the equipment)
    - Standing Lunges & Back Squats

Hope this is helpful!

Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks Tom

My legs day looks like

Squats 3x5
    Sldl 3x5
    Walking lunges 2x8
    Leg curl/? (Front squats) 2 sets
    Calf raises 1x15

I have leg developer equipment, so could do extensions in place of leg press.

Thanks for the program and continued input
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150040863

Max Lifts

Squat 135kgs (297 lbs)
    Bench 105kgs (231 lbs)
    Deads 160kgs (352lbs)

mljs54 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm coming off ~half a year of a all compound 5x5 and am looking for a new routine for the next 6-8 weeks before going back to a 5x5 again. I'm going to give this program a go starting next week. Searched and saw some of the substitutions for the accessory work you recommended throughout the thread relative to your original post - my one question is: no DB/BB shoulder shrugs - any specific reason?

Also, I saw that you mentioned there's no daily progression/reset rule; can I stick to what I was doing in my 5x5, i.e. +5lbs (possibly heavier on squats/dlift since I'm doing them 1x a week now?) on all lifts after hitting my target set/rep range; 10-20% deload when failing 2x in a row to complete all sets? Or would that kind of progression scheme not be effective for your split?
    Last edited by mljs54; 02-01-2013 at 09:18 AM.

domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100) domcreates is not very well liked. (-100)
    cool

MichaelGibbs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MichaelGibbs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Getting after it

MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MikeTheImpaler is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question

If for some reason your lower body is the biggest priority then you could use the two upper body days from this program and then create a second lower body day giving you a total of (2) lower and (2) upper sessions per week.
    What would you recommend for a second lower body day?

boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50) boutthreefiddy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for this program Tom. I am currently looking to try this 3 day routine on a cut. What do you recommend? Any changes?

Originally Posted by Th3Juic3dCpt View Post
    tom, using your 4 day program, what reps should i aim for, in the supersets for arms and shoulders day? i'm really struggling to grow my arms and im desperately trying to make them grow. Any tips?
    When I utilize super-sets or drop-sets for Arm and Shoulder training I typically start off with lower reps on the first set and increase as the set progresses, or in some cases will keep the reps moderate and linear depending on how heavy I have trained before hand.

Here is an example:

Option 1:

Barbell Curls - 115 lbs x 5, 85 lbs x 10, 60 lbs x 15

Option 2:

Barbell Curls - 95 lbs x 10, 75 lbs x 10, 55 lbs x 10+

I have found that these drop-sets work well on curls, raises, push-downs, and dips (weighted then body weight). If you are going to do super-sets then I would work with a free weight or compound movement first and then move on to an isolation / machine movement. For example you might do Dips & Push-downs, or DB Military Press & Machine Military Press.

You do not need to go crazy with the volume of overall sets, but the individual volume of each set with drop-sets or super-sets should be relatively high and I would keep the intensity high if you are looking to get the most from your training.

OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OutdoorsinCO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Barbell Curls - 115 lbs x 5, 85 lbs x 10, 60 lbs x 15
    When you talk this, are you talking straight barbell or do you use the curved one? I like both myself.
    Dave

lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterXXL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tom; I was wanting to know if you could write a routine (push pull legs) for someone that lifts at home , I have plenty of weight and a olympic bench that does , flat bench, incline bench, dips, leg curls and leg extension.
    Im a little hesitant to switch to a push pull legs routine Because I have always done a 3 day fullbody routine ,Bill starr, Texas Method, etc (training muscle groups alot more Frequently). But Im finding with the weights getting higher it is very taxing, And it is not going to be feasible to continue, So I would like to use one of your routines because You obviously know what you are doing and you are a strong MOFO. Thanks for your time !

jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jliquori94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey, I haven't seen this question asked in this thread so far, so I was wondering...

When I look up Pull/Push/Leg routines Many people dislike the split because of the infrequency of hitting your muscles. They want them to be hit 2x per week and this hits them 1x per week. I am currently starting a cut, and should I perform this 1x per week as you stated , 2x a week and do Push-Pull-Leg-Off repeat, or a happy medium of 1.5x per week Pull-Push-Off-Legs-Off-repeat. I Dead lift and Squat hard and heavy and I don't want those to interfere with one another if I am getting inadequate rest.

Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10) Th3Juic3dCpt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    tom. i was wondering
    1. how many sets do i need to warm up? i tend to just do one set of 12 with a really like weight. is that enough?
    2. do you recommend 8-12 for arms?
    3. how can i recover faster without using supplements like glutamine and etc. all i use is whey and creatine
    4.how can i tailor your 4 day workout plan to hit increase my arm and chest size?
    I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit , suffer now and live the rest of your life like a champion - Muhammad Ali

Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen. - Michael Jordan

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at. - Bruce Lee

Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed. - Arnold Schwarzenegger

I Rep Back :)

jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jliquori94 View Post
    Hey, I haven't seen this question asked in this thread so far, so I was wondering...

When I look up Pull/Push/Leg routines Many people dislike the split because of the infrequency of hitting your muscles. They want them to be hit 2x per week and this hits them 1x per week. I am currently starting a cut, and should I perform this 1x per week as you stated , 2x a week and do Push-Pull-Leg-Off repeat, or a happy medium of 1.5x per week Pull-Push-Off-Legs-Off-repeat. I Dead lift and Squat hard and heavy and I don't want those to interfere with one another if I am getting inadequate rest.
    2nd
    Deads 405--> Goals 500....3xBW
    Squat 320 --> 405
    Bench 200 --> 275

My journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152087713&p=1030251623#post1030251623

marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) marshallbenji0 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    awsome read!

CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CBRPDX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    will i see growth with doing legs once a week?

edit: and how does this compare to doing a routine that hits muscles twice a week?
    Last edited by CBRPDX; 02-11-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pumpedthisup99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This looks like a pretty good plan. I need a change up. I have been doing the same routine to long.

abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) abalenger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would the 3 or 4 day split be good to start up after allpro's beginner routine? I will be finishing up my fifth cycle of allpro's and I am looking for a new program.

Originally Posted by fabisensei View Post
    Tom I wanted to ask about the complex training. I love complex training but is it sound to do a strength move by it self like a squat then another move like leg press and then a complex for the accesory moves? I need to improve my strength but the complexes would be awesome for my conditioning and phisique.
    You can utilize 'complexes' or super-sets / giant-sets for primary or secondary movements, although I would limit yourself to only one free weight compound movement and then move on to machines or isolation movements. For example if you wanted to do a lower body 'complex' you could start off with Barbell Squats for a heavy set of (5) reps and then immediately hop on the leg press for a moderate set of 10-15 reps, and finish off with an isolation movement (extensions/curls/DB SLDL) for another 10-15 reps. In this case I would perform 2-4 complexes depending on what the rest of your volume/intensity for your training looks like.

I did write an article on this topic that might be helpful, it can be found here: http://mutaffis.wordpress.com/articles/

Originally Posted by mljs54 View Post
    I'm coming off ~half a year of a all compound 5x5 and am looking for a new routine for the next 6-8 weeks before going back to a 5x5 again. I'm going to give this program a go starting next week. Searched and saw some of the substitutions for the accessory work you recommended throughout the thread relative to your original post - my one question is: no DB/BB shoulder shrugs - any specific reason?

Also, I saw that you mentioned there's no daily progression/reset rule; can I stick to what I was doing in my 5x5, i.e. +5lbs (possibly heavier on squats/dlift since I'm doing them 1x a week now?) on all lifts after hitting my target set/rep range; 10-20% deload when failing 2x in a row to complete all sets? Or would that kind of progression scheme not be effective for your split?
    The reason for not including shrugs is that I do not consider them to be a very valuable movement. If you are specifically looking to train your traps then you could work in some High Pulls, Farmers Walk, Wide Grip Upright Rows, Face Pulls, and other Upper Back work.

You could go with a constant progression until you miss and then 'deload' and re-start, it is personal preference and all depends on your current level. Some individuals are able to make consistent gains for 3-6 months at a time whereas others will only PR once every few weeks. If you are hitting 3-4 weeks of progression before failing then your approach might work well, but if you are failing lifts more frequently then you might want to look at alternating between 'Strength' and 'Volume' sessions to allow for additional recovery and to work in some hypertrophy/conditioning training.

Hope this helps, if you want to expand more on your specific program/goals just let me know.

Originally Posted by MikeTheImpaler View Post
    What would you recommend for a second lower body day?
    If you wanted to split up the Lower Body days I would make one more quad-dominant and the other more hamstring-dominant. I would also keep one focused on volume with the other focused more on power to allow for sufficient recovery.

Here is an example of how you might break things down:

Workout A - Quad Dominant:
    • Front Squats (or) Olympic Squats (or) Trap Bar Deadlifts | 4-5 Sets
    • Standing or Walking Lunges | 3-4 Sets
    • Hack Squats | 2-3 Sets
    • Leg Extensions | 3-4 Sets
    Workout B - Hamstring Dominant:
    • Deadlifts (or) Rack Pulls (or) Wide Stance / Box Squats | 4-5 Sets
    • SLDL | 3-4 Sets
    • Leg Press | 2-3 Sets
    • Leg Curls | 3-4 Sets

iRemi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Tom, I recently joined a gym so I could start lifting and I'm only able to train three times a week.

At the moment I'm still in the process of trying to lose weight as well as try and build my physique - will your 3 day split programme work? I was doing p90x for 5 weeks before this and managed to lose 18lb's, but I've found I feel more comfortable in a gym environment. If I put your 3 day split into action and continue to eat clean and watch my macro's, will I see my BF% go down? Time to go and google what half the exercises are as I haven't a clue lol (complete noob to the gym).

Thanks!

Edit:

Also, could I do half of these things without a spot? I train on my own, so I won't be able to go too heavy. Plus, is it better to have someone assist me with things like deadlifts since I am new to them?

art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) art29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    3 day it is not lot

jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000) jeremy1ns is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can utilize 'complexes' or super-sets / giant-sets for primary or secondary movements, although I would limit yourself to only one free weight compound movement and then move on to machines or isolation movements. For example if you wanted to do a lower body 'complex' you could start off with Barbell Squats for a heavy set of (5) reps and then immediately hop on the leg press for a moderate set of 10-15 reps, and finish off with an isolation movement (extensions/curls/DB SLDL) for another 10-15 reps. In this case I would perform 2-4 complexes depending on what the rest of your volume/intensity for your training looks like.

I did write an article on this topic that might be helpful, it can be found here: http://mutaffis.wordpress.com/articles/
    Hey Tom.
    I was trying to figure out how to incorporate something like the complexes plan you outlined on your page into the 4 day split you posted. I'm trying to vamp up my workouts a bit because even though I'm working hard I seem to be going through the motions a bit. My current workout is very similar to the 4 day split you put on here.

Just to give you and idea I've been training for 5+ years
    1RM DL 405
    Squat 335
    Bench 200, I. Tore my labrum in college and have never gotten much strength back.

My goal is improver body comp while maintaining strength.
    Deads 405--> Goals 500....3xBW
    Squat 320 --> 405
    Bench 200 --> 275

My journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152087713&p=1030251623#post1030251623

bepp22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Been working out for 1 year now, cutting at the momment, would you recommend this program if my goal is hypertrophy gains, but still get stronger. Also how should i progress, should i add weight to every workout?

Originally Posted by Th3Juic3dCpt View Post
    tom. i was wondering
    1. how many sets do i need to warm up? i tend to just do one set of 12 with a really like weight. is that enough?
    2. do you recommend 8-12 for arms?
    3. how can i recover faster without using supplements like glutamine and etc. all i use is whey and creatine
    4.how can i tailor your 4 day workout plan to hit increase my arm and chest size?
    Here you go:

1. My warm-up typically consists of roughly five minutes on a piece of cardio equipment, 2-5 high repetition sets of machine work, and then I start off very light on compound movements and decrease repetitions as I move up in weight. For example here is a warm-up that I did yesterday for seated DB military press on my Shoulders/Triceps (Pressing) day:

Warm-Up:
    - Elliptical: (5) Minutes
    - Seated Military Press Machine: (2) sets of 15-20 reps
    - Seated DB Military Press: 30 lbs x 10, 50 lbs x 8, 80 lbs x 5, 95 lbs x 2, then working set (110 lbs x 6)

2. If your goal is a balance of hypertrophy and strength then I would stick in the 5-15 rep range depending on the specific exercises, and if you wanted to work particularly in the 8-12 rep range that would be good, with a bit more focus on the 8-10 range for most movements.

3. Glutamine has never really done a whole lot for me in terms of recovery, but sufficient overall protein intake is important. Eating a surplus of calories, getting plenty of sleep, and following an effective training program are all ways to ensure optimal recovery. If you are having trouble reaching your dietary objectives in terms of protein intake then shakes can be a great way to meet those targets.

4. The 4-day split does include a fair amount of Arm and Chest work, if you want to prioritize those specific muscle groups then I would move the exercises that focus on those muscle groups to the beginning of your workouts. You can also increase the volume slightly but if you are training with high intensity an extra set or two would not make a huge difference and could lead you to over-reach in some cases.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have anything else that you would like to discuss.

Originally Posted by CBRPDX View Post
    will i see growth with doing legs once a week?

edit: and how does this compare to doing a routine that hits muscles twice a week?
    Training each muscle group directly once per week can absolutely provide great results. Depending on your current goals, strength levels, recovery abilities, lifestyle, and other factors a 2X/week program might suit you better - but as you can see there are a number of variables.

I personally have made my best gains with training splits where I am training each muscle group once per week with high intensity, and sometimes adding a second day for a bit of extra volume or where the target muscle group is a secondary muscle (for example training Arms on one day and Back on another - your Biceps are getting direct work 1X/week and indirect work in an additional session).

Are you looking for size? Strength? Endurance? Knowing more about your goals would help me to provide a more specific recommendation.

Originally Posted by Pumpedthisup99 View Post
    This looks like a pretty good plan. I need a change up. I have been doing the same routine to long.
    Thank you - give it a try and let me know if there is anything that you might want to customize/modify based on your specific needs or objectives.