Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Panzertitz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    I had this split before, then I went to a personal trainer. He told me that this split is good, but if you want muscle quick, it is not optimal because it is good if you stimulate the muscle more then 1 time/week. Also it is going to be more difficult to improve your lifting stats, for example your deadlift or squat. He shared a similar program, it is a three day split. This should be better, according to him.

Monday: Back, legs, biceps. (deadlift, squat, chins etc.)
    Wednesday: Chest, triceps, shoulders, abs. (bench press, military press etc.)
    Friday: Full body (deadlift, benchpress, squat, chins, military press etc.)

Good program though! Thank you

RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Panzertitz View Post
    I had this split before, then I went to a personal trainer. He told me that this split is good, but if you want muscle quick, it is not optimal because it is good if you stimulate the muscle more then 1 time/week. Also it is going to be more difficult to improve your lifting stats, for example your deadlift or squat. He shared a similar program, it is a three day split. This should be better, according to him.

I do something similar except that I never do a full body workout.

Day 1: Back, Legs, Biceps (15 sets total)
    Day 2: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps (15 sets total)
    "Trial & Error is the key to success"

"Remember LESS is more"

My 2-Days Push\Pull Split Routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148138903&p=948484613#post948484613

mljs54 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is a 4/5 Day split posted earlier in the thread...

Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I would recommend that you typically perform deadlifts every other week.
    Hi Tom,

I'm really liking the 4 day split routine. Have a few questions:

1) I'm coming off 10 weeks of StrongLifts as I really need a change of routine after hitting a wall in a number of lifts... Squats in particular - squatting 3x a week tore me apart in wk 9/10. My goal is to increase bench (185) and squat (175, but I basically started with the bar back in Aug) and put on more mass. Any tips/subs you'd make for those two lifts?

2) Can I make the following subs (basically would love to keep doing the same BB exercises I was doing before - but let me know if they would not work with your split):
    - DB bench press for BB bench press
    - T Bar Rowe for BB bent over row
    - Seated military press for standing BB shoulder press
    - Cable Crossover - anything else I can do in place? Asking b/c this machine is broken 95% of the time at my gym

Thanks in advance

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by 69cam View Post
    Thanks for the help Tom.
    Will be starting your program on Monday.
    I will report back in about a month to tell you about my gains.
    Sounds good, hope it works out for you!

Originally Posted by maelpj View Post
    Hi tom, been training for 4 years now. Not very strong squat 300, bench 250, deadlift 315 never trained for strenght more for hypertrophy.

question for your 3 way splitt push pull leg. does that mean that you have 4 day off a week?

could i do something like:

pull
    push
    off
    leg
    off
    repeat

or pull,push,leg,off,repeat

or you really thing that we only should train 3 day a week?
    I would try to get at least two days off per week, but it all depends on how advanced you are and how well you can recover from workouts. If you wanted to do Push-Pull-Legs-Off and continue repeating you may need to modify some of the workouts or alternate between 'heavy' sessions and 'volume' sessions to avoid stalling, but it could work well especially if you are targeting more hypertrophy (size) than strength.

If your primary goal is strength then 3-4 days per week is going to be optimal for the vast majority.

Originally Posted by portcityjbird View Post
    Sorry if you have already answered this but will this be a good mass building program?
    Thanks
    Yes, this program can be used for mass building but if you want to put on size you need to make sure that your consuming enough food to grow.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cjc651 View Post
    Hey Tom, great stuff here.

I am a beginner that's been lifting with a 3 day split for a couple months now, quick question regarding the 4 day program-

Would it matter if I eliminated the cardio completely and just did it like this?
    Day 1:Back
    Day 2:Chest
    Day 3:Legs
    Day 4:Arms/shoulders

Also, this would give me 3 days off which seems like over-doing the resting time, would it be over-training if I did the above 4 day program with one rest day after day 4 and then resumed day 1? This would give me one rest day per week.

Thanks in advance.
    I would put a rest day in the middle to optimize your gains and allow you to recover effectively. If you are training hard the additional rest days will be very beneficial:

Day 1: Back
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Legs
    Day 5: Arms/shoulders
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: Repeat Day 1
    Day 8: Repeat Day 2
    Day 9: Repeat Day 3 (Rest)
    Day 10: Repeat Day 4...

Originally Posted by tagan1 View Post
    is it ok to do pull/push/leg/rest and repeat for 2x frequency?

Pull
    - Deadlift
    - Rows
    - Pull up
    - Chin up
    - Bicep curl

Push
    - Bench press
    - Incline bench press or flyes
    - Overhead press
    - Upright rows
    - Skull crusher

Leg
    - Squat
    - Romanian DL or SLDL
    - Lunges
    - Weighted crunches
    - Standing calf raise
    - Seated calf raise
    This would have you training 6 days in a row with only one day of rest per week. I would recommend resting two days per week, so if you wanted to you could go with the three training sessions in a row and then a rest session and repeat - this would have you resting one day per week one week alternating with two days per week the next week.

Training more frequently is not the key to progress - training hard and following an intelligent program will give you better gains than the individual who simply trains everyday.

InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) InspecktaDeck has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh tom you strong SOB. Love watching your rediculous vids in the pl section.
    My Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149612633

Crew Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157295413&p=1141543273#post1141543273

Da Utubez: http://www.youtube.com/user/Inspeckdadeck

Registered User durgaprasadzone's Avatar
    durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) durgaprasadzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for sharing information. Actually I had also the same question in mind for a long time anyways you started

this thread & I am so happy.

RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RyanSOS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Training more frequently is not the key to progress - training hard and following an intelligent program will give you better gains than the individual who simply trains everyday.
    I totally agree with you, but I know for a fact that my body responds better to 2x a week frequency per muscle group.

would this push\pull split would be okay? (excluding legs I like to do them in my pull day)

Push Day
    Barbell Bench Press 6-10x3
    Dumbbell Bench Press 6-10x3
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press 6-10x3
    Side Laterals 10-15x3 (Drop Sets)
    Cable Push-downs 10-15x3 (Drop sets)

Pull Day + Legs

Squats 10-20x3
    Calves 10-20x2
    Bent Over Rows or Deadlifts 6-10x3
    Chins Failurex3
    Pull Downs 6-10x2
    Biceps Curls 10-15x3 (Drop Sets)

Would this routine ABA\BAB style 3 days a week in the gym would be okay?

or If not could you please make a push\pull Split?

I'd really appreciate it if you post one. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by bongowongo View Post
    Hey OP.

Do you reccomend this while cutting? and is it possible to add a 4th day?

I also cant do Dips/Barbell bench work because I have RC issues .. How would I work around that? I'm fine with DB's though.

Pls respond
    The 3-day split could be used by someone who is looking to improve body composition or lose weight, although I would scale back some of the intensity (do not take every set to failure) and would add in some HIIT cardiovascular training.

Since you are working around an injury I would go with any similar movements that allow you to train without furthering the injury. If you want to replace barbell movements with dumbbells that would definitely work, and the dips could be replaced by close grip bench press, overhead barbell extensions, or skull crushers.

Here is a 4/5 day split that is similar and may align better with what you are looking for:

Training Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.

Originally Posted by norref123 View Post
    Tom,
    Concerning the routine you put on the first page,
    how close to failure should I go with each sets?
    Thanks.
    In most cases I would perform one set to failure per exercise for compound movements and all sets to failure on isolation movements. If you are performing a super-set or drop-set then I would leave a bit in the tank on the first movement/set and then use the second movement/set to reach failure.

Glremme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Tom,

Due to an injury to the muscles and tendons in both my hip joints and muscles I will be unable to do any lifts involving hip rotation for atleast 3-6 months. This means no deadlifts, squats or legwork in general. So far I've been lifting for about 6 months doing a 3 day split focusing on the major compounds on an a/b rotation.

D'you reckon I could use your routine, omitting the leg day and putting the other two work outs on an a/b routine? Also, I'm scared that due to leaving out deadlifts I won't be hitting my lower back enough, do you have any suggestions?

Edit:

I'd like to do some hypertrophy training for the months coming.

I'm also wondering how many (if any) warm up sets you do before getting to your work sets?
    Last edited by Glremme; 11-13-2012 at 12:19 PM.

20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50) 20vcanuck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi, I recently decided to give this program a go after a long time on 5x5.

My question is..
    are the sets listed on page one work sets? Do I do some warmup sets then do my two sets for the same weight

Ex bench
    135x12
    165x8
    205x4
    235x5
    235x5
    235x5

Any so on? Please clarify thanks!

hypreme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Hi Tom,

I'm about to start this routine and I cannot wait, however, I just have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I was wondering what the weight progression should be like? Would it be a linear progression focusing on upping compound movements every workout like SS? Or is it just touch-and-go trying to increase weight for all exercises whenever you feel able to?

2. Would it be alright if I reallocated shoulder work to leg day? Or would it be best to keep it on chest/tri day?

3. Is there any substitute for overhead dumbbell extension? I don't feel flexible enough to do them properly yet.
    Last edited by hypreme; 11-17-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Responses below in bold:

Originally Posted by hypreme View Post
    Hi Tom,

I'm about to start this routine and I cannot wait, however, I just have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. I was wondering what the weight progression should be like? Would it be a linear progression focusing on upping compound movements every workout like SS? Or is it just touch-and-go trying to increase weight for all exercises whenever you feel able to?

My recommendation would be auto-regulation rather than forced progression - if you feel strong then train heavy and go for a new PR. If you are feeling a bit 'off' then simply pick a weight that is challenging but manageable.

2. Would it be alright if I reallocated shoulder work to leg day? Or would it be best to keep it on chest/tri day?

I would keep all of the pressing on the same day, and relocating the shoulder movements to Friday would have you training DB military press with fatigued triceps which would not allow you to get the most out of the movement. If you want to focus on your deltoids then you could move those exercises to the beginning of the workout on Wednesday to prioritize them. You could also throw in some laterals (raises) on Saturday if you wanted some additional deltoids work.

3. Is there any substitute for overhead dumbbell extension? I don't feel flexible enough to do them properly yet.

Sure, there are plenty of other options. You can perform overhead extensions with a barbell or cable (using the low pulley) or you could perform incline skull crushers with a barbell or pair of dumbbells.

Originally Posted by Glremme View Post
    Hi Tom,

Due to an injury to the muscles and tendons in both my hip joints and muscles I will be unable to do any lifts involving hip rotation for atleast 3-6 months. This means no deadlifts, squats or legwork in general. So far I've been lifting for about 6 months doing a 3 day split focusing on the major compounds on an a/b rotation.

D'you reckon I could use your routine, omitting the leg day and putting the other two work outs on an a/b routine? Also, I'm scared that due to leaving out deadlifts I won't be hitting my lower back enough, do you have any suggestions?

Edit:

I'd like to do some hypertrophy training for the months coming.

I'm also wondering how many (if any) warm up sets you do before getting to your work sets?
    I would just go with a simple 3-day split something like this:

- Back
    - Chest
    - Arms & Shoulders

If you wanted to increase the frequency then you could group Back + Biceps and Chest + Shoulders + Triceps and do the A/B rotation just like you have been.

DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DongDingDong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Been following this program for a couple of weeks now, pretty good gains. Thanks!

tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tagan1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This would have you training 6 days in a row with only one day of rest per week. I would recommend resting two days per week, so if you wanted to you could go with the three training sessions in a row and then a rest session and repeat - this would have you resting one day per week one week alternating with two days per week the next week.

Then what you recommend?

Leg / Push / Rest / Pull / Rest. And repeat?

Pord has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range."

^ So which lifts are 3-5, which are 5-8, and which are 8-12? I know it says compound, next compound, and Iso, but which are those exactly?

Thanks.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sorry if you have already answered this, but when it comes to hybrid routines like these that are desinged to improve strength hypertrophy and conditioning, would you recommend certain forms over others? I ask because while competing I am much stronger with lower bar wider stance squats as well as sumo deadlifts, but I always wonder if I should focus more on conventional deadlifting and high bar or even full olympic style squats as I have no plans of competing anytime soon.

Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hi Tom,

Been doing this for about 6 weeks now, really liking it

With the deadlifts, is the 3x5 working sets. I have been doing it this way, but the weight is now getting heavy (for me) and 3 sets seems a lot at full weight

Thanks
    Sen
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150040863

Max Lifts

Squat 135kgs (297 lbs)
    Bench 105kgs (231 lbs)
    Deads 160kgs (352lbs)

wolfparade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    About the 3-day split in the opening post: Can I change 'Close Grip Pulldowns' with some other exercise? The gym I go has a pulldown machine, but it don't let me adjust the seat low enough to be able to extend my arms fully when returning to the starting position (if that made any sense). What exercise should I do instead, the 'Narrow-Grip Seated Row" perhaps?

Originally Posted by Pord View Post
    "For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range."

^ So which lifts are 3-5, which are 5-8, and which are 8-12? I know it says compound, next compound, and Iso, but which are those exactly?

Thanks.
    Compound movements are exercises that train multiple muscle groups, typically barbell or dumbbell exercises. Isolation or accessory movements would be a movement that trains one muscle group, or a movement that is not a primary focus for size/strength (typically machines, dumbbell isolation movements, etc.).

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Sorry if you have already answered this, but when it comes to hybrid routines like these that are desinged to improve strength hypertrophy and conditioning, would you recommend certain forms over others? I ask because while competing I am much stronger with lower bar wider stance squats as well as sumo deadlifts, but I always wonder if I should focus more on conventional deadlifting and high bar or even full olympic style squats as I have no plans of competing anytime soon.
    My recommendation would be to work in as much variation as you can - not only will this keep your more balanced and well rounded but it will allow some recovery time from the movements where you are strongest. What I mean is that if you squat low bar and wide stance you may squat 500 lbs and really hammer your hips/hamstrings/glutes, but if you squat 'oly style' that may drop the bar weight to 425 lbs and place more focus on your quads. Not only does this develop a well-rounded lower body but the lightened overall loads will keep you from 'burning out' with regard to your CNS or supporting structure (low back, etc.).

When I started competing in strongman I made consistent (but moderate) gains on my deadlift over the course of about 3 years by only deadlifting maybe 1-2 times per month, and instead just building my overall lower body with strongman events, accessory movements, and other gym lifts.

Hope this is helpful in planning your routine.

Originally Posted by Sen8or View Post
    Hi Tom,

Been doing this for about 6 weeks now, really liking it

With the deadlifts, is the 3x5 working sets. I have been doing it this way, but the weight is now getting heavy (for me) and 3 sets seems a lot at full weight

Thanks
    Sen
    Sen - Glad to hear that you like the program so far. With deadlifting I would ramp up and still perform 'working sets' but only one set that is at or near failure. If your max deadlift is 405 lbs x 5 then you might do something like 325 lbs x 5, 360 lbs x 5, 385-395 lbs x 5.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by wolfparade View Post
    About the 3-day split in the opening post: Can I change 'Close Grip Pulldowns' with some other exercise? The gym I go has a pulldown machine, but it don't let me adjust the seat low enough to be able to extend my arms fully when returning to the starting position (if that made any sense). What exercise should I do instead, the 'Narrow-Grip Seated Row" perhaps?
    Would you be able to take the V-Bar and put it on a pull-up bar to do close grip pull-up's? (or just use a multi-grip pull-up bar if your gym has one)

If not then I would swap in a Hammer Strength Machine if that is an option.

Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000) Sen8or is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks for that Tom. So far I have been using the starting strength template for warmup reps, 2x5@20%, 1x3@50% and 1x2@75% of working weight, then ramping working weight up by 5kgs every set (so week 1 was say 60/65/70) kgs, then week 2, 65/70/75 and so on).

Sounds like I need to broaden the gap a wee bit with just 1 "heavy" set at the end near my max.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150040863

Max Lifts

Squat 135kgs (297 lbs)
    Bench 105kgs (231 lbs)
    Deads 160kgs (352lbs)

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was just thinking about a good three day split.
    I think I found it, thanks Tom.

Originally Posted by Sen8or View Post
    Thanks for that Tom. So far I have been using the starting strength template for warmup reps, 2x5@20%, 1x3@50% and 1x2@75% of working weight, then ramping working weight up by 5kgs every set (so week 1 was say 60/65/70) kgs, then week 2, 65/70/75 and so on).

Sounds like I need to broaden the gap a wee bit with just 1 "heavy" set at the end near my max.
    It varies from person to person but I have seen the best results in myself and others who I have trained with when we ramp up to one 'max effort' set (whether it be 1 rep or 10 reps) but add in some additional volume as well to build muscle, improve 'conditioning, etc.

Originally Posted by Swamp Dog View Post
    I was just thinking about a good three day split.
    I think I found it, thanks Tom.
    Good luck with the program! Let me know if you have any questions or anything that you would like to discuss.

Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Iceman1800 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Panzertitz View Post

LOL! Tom is a professional LW strongman. I'd take his advice over a personal trainer any day of the week. Your choice

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Good luck with the program! Let me know if you have any questions or anything that you would like to discuss.
    Thanks a lot!
    I just did leg day.
    I don't have access to a leg press machine so I subbed that movement with front squats. What are your thoughts on that?