cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Serious problem with SS.. dont panic right?

Okay so 6 workouts into SS my bench has already stalled. FML with a big one. I've been going up by micro-increments on top of that.
    3x5x205
    3x5x210
    3x5x215(last rep of last set, was a half rep cuz i had no spotter and was pretty tired)

Today:
    220x4 -- "wtf? ok i need to get pumped"
    220x4.5-- (half set on last rep that was really difficult), "okay get a spotter"
    220x3+2(w/ help of spotter)-- wow

Realized afterward ur supposed to lower weight and reset when u miss a rep, but by that time my bench was done.

My thoughts:
    1. I came in pretty tired/exhausted, but I still should have at least got ONE set. AT LEAST
    2. I slightly strained my muscle in b/t left shoulder and outer-upper chest, BUT i dont feel it affecting me during the actual benching, so i dont think so
    3. I started the program with a good amount of accessory work, perhaps this has hindered my bench quicker, but less than 2 weeks! not to mention i stopped accessory workout for the last 3 workouts for this reason... OR..
    4. the exact opposite- since my bench was considerably higher than most starting benches beginning on SS, accessory work actually helped since I'm more developed than most ppl on this routine(I KNOW, I KNOW, dont eff witht the program) BUT these are special circumstances and my bench was moving up NO PROB when i was doing the assistance exercises AND workouts felt solid rather than lacking in volume at that time.. if this is the case i was thinking of doing the assistance work done in Madcow's 5x5(weighted dips, BB curls, tricep extensions either done on fridays or workout A) since its made to help progress for some1 of my experience.. but this could be logical fallacy

These are just my thoughts so please give some experienced advice. Anyone been in a similiar situation? Or know how to go about this situation?
    Rebuilding.

Getting sort of strong truckerman79's Avatar
    truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You started too heavy on bench. Drop your bench by 20% and work up in 5lb increments and you should be fine. It's supposed to be fairly easy in the beginning.
    "If you don't Deadlift, the terrorists win."- eomrat

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To be able to add 5 lbs per workout at that weight is crazy good progress as it is. Micro-increments = <5 lbs. Get 1.25 lb plates or do something creative that will let you add 2 lbs or so instead of 5 (chains, washers, extra collars)
    The more you know, the more you squat.
    Raw 1RM's: 455 Squat, 450 Deadlift, 225 Bench

azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) azzuk23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ankle wieghts are a good cheap solution to micro loading. they fit onto a babell, and usually weigh about 1lb-1.25lb each, giving a microload of 2-2.5lbs
    i dont compete against you. i compete against myself yesterday, last week, last year

No one system of training is better than all of the other systems. However, proper training always involves common elements. These are hard work, abbreviated training programs, progression, good form, and motivation - Brooks Kubik

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    You started the program at to high a weight. Did you work up to finding your starting weight as instructed in the book?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cbjackson24 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by truckerman79 View Post
    You started too heavy on bench. Drop your bench by 20% and work up in 5lb increments and you should be fine. It's supposed to be fairly easy in the beginning.
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    You started the program at to high a weight. Did you work up to finding your starting weight as instructed in the book?
    Uh, I thought you were supposed to start at your 5RM. That would be a noob mistake. But I thought on SS you started at your 5RM unlike Madcow.

Also, do you guys think that bc my bench weight is pretty high that it is safe to add assistance work: chins to workout B; BB curls, tricep ext., dips to either fri or workout A.. kinda combing Madcows assistance... or should I just wait until further into the program (although I only planned to run this program for 4-6 weeks b4 moving to Madcows cuz i figured my bench would eventually stall at this point)
    Rebuilding.

Newbaylder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I havent ever seen a guy get into gym and lift 205lbs first time, not even close. And not even a lot hevier guys... (let alone 5 times)

So you have been @ the gym before, or done a lot of other exercises havent you?

I am still a beginner but, I think SS gains dont follow the 5 lbs increments at that level anymore. The name is "starting strenght", you seem to have pretty good starting strenght already. Anyway thats my noob opinion.
    Last edited by Newbaylder; 11-12-2009 at 01:37 AM.

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cbjackson24 View Post
    Uh, I thought you were supposed to start at your 5RM. That would be a noob mistake. But I thought on SS you started at your 5RM unlike Madcow.
    No. Think about it - why would the program have you start with the absolute maximum weight you can move for *one* set of 5, tell you to do 3 sets with that, and to bump the weight by 5 pounds next time?

Really SS makes no assumptions about a 5RM, since it assumes a relatively new trainee. New trainees won't have an accurate 5RM since that number will be a moving target, increasing every time they step into the gym. That's why the book describes testing starting weights by starting with just the bar, and doing sets of 5 till the bar speed slows, and using that as a starting weight.

Now for someone who isn't a rank novice (like you), the best bet is to start *well* below your current 5RM. And that won't hurt you, since the progression scheme is so aggressive on this program.

Also, I know you're strong for your size, but if you want to make real progress on this program you're going to have to gain some weight.

Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50) Inertiatic will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Please buy and read the book...

Or at least do enough research to make it seem like you wanted to do the program correctly.

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In all honesty, if you're benching 220 at 142lb you need to consider how long you can realistically expect novice progression to last for. I can only imagine you've been spending a fair amount of time benching already to be moving those weights.

Deload and microload this time, but you'll need to start programming the bench weekly pretty soon anyway.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow/Topics/Microloading.htm

Pics in my profile of the chains described in this ^ link.

Like Hut*Hut said, I don't know how much linear progress you can really get out of a 220lb bench.. maybe look into something like the Texas Method for your bench, as described in Practical Programming

How much are you eating?
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    At your bodyweight, you're likely simply running to the end of your linear gains for the bench. Surprised you've gotten this far, really.

Either that or gain some weight.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    This is in the book but I guess it needs pointing out once again. Since SS is for the beginning lifter and they don't know their starting weight or have any reasonable way to estimate it (like madcow for intermediates does) he uses a simple in the gym method for finding your starting weight on the program.

It works thus:

Start with the bar (a beginner would also be learning exercise form at this time) do 5 reps with correct form. Now add 10-20 pound for legs 5-10 pounds for arms and do another 5 rep set. A stronger lifter can take bigger jumps but no more than 20#'s is ever recommended. Keep moving up with these jumps until your form begins to break down during the set, do another set at that weight and this is your first workout and your starting weight for the program. Some of the form breakdown will probably be due to cumulative fatigue from all the lower weight sets keeping this starting weight well below your 5RM or even your 3x5RM.

Also, do you guys think that bc my bench weight is pretty high that it is safe to add assistance work: chins to workout B; BB curls, tricep ext., dips to either fri or workout A.. kinda combing Madcows assistance... or should I just wait until further into the program (although I only planned to run this program for 4-6 weeks b4 moving to Madcows cuz i figured my bench would eventually stall at this point)
    I think that if you are stalling out this early you need to figure out why and work your way up to a true stall before adding any assistance work.

Why would you plan to run a program that many guys can keep going for months and month for less than 2 before switching to a slower progression that won't get you as strong as fast?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Take it back down several pounds. Go down to like 190lbs. And keep adding 5 pounds per week from there. Once you get to say 210lbs. or so then add 2.5lbs. per session. That should take you several weeks to get back up to the 220lbs. level. At that point (if you're eating right!) you should be able to pass 220lbs. If not then you're likely not eating well enough. Less likely is that you're truly at the end of your genetic strength limits for your size. You'll hit another plateau somewhere after 220lbs. When you get there do the same thing, but only go down about 20lbs. or so.

You started too high, and I bet you're not eating enough!

kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kman025 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    This is in the book but I guess it needs pointing out once again. Since SS is for the beginning lifter and they don't know their starting weight or have any reasonable way to estimate it (like madcow for intermediates does) he uses a simple in the gym method for finding your starting weight on the program.

It works thus:

Start with the bar (a beginner would also be learning exercise form at this time) do 5 reps with correct form. Now add 10-20 pound for legs 5-10 pounds for arms and do another 5 rep set. A stronger lifter can take bigger jumps but no more than 20#'s is ever recommended. Keep moving up with these jumps until your form begins to break down during the set, do another set at that weight and this is your first workout and your starting weight for the program. Some of the form breakdown will probably be due to cumulative fatigue from all the lower weight sets keeping this starting weight well below your 5RM or even your 3x5RM.
    this.

OP, what are your other lifts?

just wondering because your bench is pretty high.

xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should've started with less than your 5RM. You also need to eat more food.

sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sabonis224 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you stalled after two weeks you definitely started too high. i did the same thing a few years back... i said to myself "that is too light, i can definitely go heavier" and after a few workouts i was really struggling. just man up a little and start lighter, the first couple of workouts should not be a struggle really.s.
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Mets

RIP Zyzz- "forever mirin"

Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Now for someone who isn't a rank novice (like you), the best bet is to start *well* below your current 5RM. And that won't hurt you, since the progression scheme is so aggressive on this program.

Also, I know you're strong for your size, but if you want to make real progress on this program you're going to have to gain some weight.
    Originally Posted by xXDeadmanXx View Post
    You should've started with less than your 5RM. You also need to eat more food.
    To clear things up I started with as much weight that I could rep 5 times for 3 sets with good form. If I'm going deload how much should that be? 195, 185.. or lower? and if i deload what then should be my weight of increase from workout to workout

I know, i know I need to gain weight. Thats what the programs for, I've gained 10 lbs in the last 3-4 weeks and most of that was not on a REAL diet. I'm averaging about 2 pounds increase every workout, right now.

Originally Posted by kman025 View Post
    this.

OP, what are your other lifts?

just wondering because your bench is pretty high.
    Read my journal (web adress in my sig) for more info. But basically my squat dropped dramatically after not doing it for about a year and a half. Currently I'm doing 225x5. This is primarily why Im on SS and not Madcows. Cuz I know i can add 10-15lbs to my squat every workout over the next 3-4 weeks or so. Shoulder press is like 135x5, should increase next workout. Deadlift is 235x5 (new to this exercise) but I plan for it to move up as fast and along with my squat.
    Rebuilding.

xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50) xXDeadmanXx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can cut your bench by 10-15% and add 5 lbs workout to workout. When it gets harder, start adding less weight, maybe 2.5 lbs per workout. You might want to cut the accessory exercises as well. You have a very strong bench at your bodyweight. It will probably be one of the first lifts to stall anyway, judging by your other lifts. The overhead press might stall early too.

Originally Posted by xXDeadmanXx View Post
    You can cut your bench by 10-15% and add 5 lbs workout to workout. When it gets harder, start adding less weight, maybe 2.5 lbs per workout. You might want to cut the accessory exercises as well. You have a very strong bench at your bodyweight. It will probably be one of the first lifts to stall anyway, judging by your other lifts. The overhead press might stall early too.
    Thanks. Repped. Currently I'm not doing any accessory work, I was thinking of adding it cuz i thought it might help assist my bench. I thought since my bench was stalling, that assistance work would help. I know ur not supposed to do it at the beg. cuz it can have the opposite effect, but my logic was since my bench is stalling and high, that it WOULD help, since thats when u add it, toward the end when progress slows... Is there any truth to this??

Anyway as of now I plan to deload to 190-195, and drop assistance work.
    Rebuilding.

Registered User MeeesterNiceGuy's Avatar
    MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MeeesterNiceGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can bench over 200lbs at your BW. Why are you doing SS? Lacking in Squat and DL?

Originally Posted by MeeesterNiceGuy View Post
    You can bench over 200lbs at your BW. Why are you doing SS? Lacking in Squat and DL?
    Exactly. Haven't benched in more than a year and a half, and it dropped big time so SS seemed like a really good program to get strength back. First time deadlifting.
    Rebuilding.

I ran SS when I came back from a long break too. Mine was a year. I've taken two one year layoffs. I came back after the first one, worked out for three months, and quit again. The second time I came back and I've been consistent for five months. Running SS is a very fast way of getting most of your strength back.