jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Push Jerk tech and periodization

Hey all,
    Just a couple quick questions - Note - not a competitive lifter just a fan / rugger.
    Technique
    For the push jerk, should the athlete try to stick the lift after getting underneath the bar or should they plan on sinking down and dropping low. I've seen it done both ways and was curious and was hoping someone could shed some light on that.

Also, when periodizing your programs is the push jerk more appropriate during a 'strength' phase or a 'power' phase. Typically I have used the push press in the strength phases and the split jerk in the power phases and I was wondering where the push jerk comes in and how to use it effectively.

Thanks all! I must say though the oly section is not the busiest, everyone always delivers with solid responses.
    Applied Exercise Physiology Master's Student
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    push jerk is catching the bar way above parallel, the way dimas and a few other lifters do it when it gets heavy and drives them into the full squat is the squat jerk; it would be more appropriate in a 'power phase', I don't think any phases are necessary at a certain point in a lifters career but that's neither here nor there

raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000) raffiki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Power jerks you just catch them were you can. There isn't much reason to catch it then sink down.

Whether it is a power (push) jerk or split jerk they are both high power movements. It doesn't matter how you use them.
    "However, the strength of the hamstring muscles is crucial to fully exploit the strength potential of the quads and ultimately the vertical force that the athlete is able to impart to the barbell." - Andrew Charniga, Jr.

PhD in Broscience crackyflipside's Avatar
    crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000) crackyflipside is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The athlete has to arch the back significantly [compared to split jerk] and shift the pelvis backwards with the push - jerk style of squatting under the jerk.

This is what Dimas coach is screaming in his world record lift in Barcelona, "katse kato ap tin mpara!" In English, Sit under the bar! When he just screamd "Katse!" he is telling him to sit. So that pretty much tells you what the body should be doing.
    Last edited by crackyflipside; 11-12-2009 at 05:43 PM.
    Olympic Weightlifting: Cuban Method
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=703396581

Snatch: 97kg
    Clean and jerk: 120kg
    Front squat 160kg
    Back squat: 170kg

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jhoffm8 View Post
    Hey all,
    Just a couple quick questions - Note - not a competitive lifter just a fan / rugger.
    Technique
    For the push jerk, should the athlete try to stick the lift after getting underneath the bar or should they plan on sinking down and dropping low. I've seen it done both ways and was curious and was hoping someone could shed some light on that.

Also, when periodizing your programs is the push jerk more appropriate during a 'strength' phase or a 'power' phase. Typically I have used the push press in the strength phases and the split jerk in the power phases and I was wondering where the push jerk comes in and how to use it effectively.

Thanks all! I must say though the oly section is not the busiest, everyone always delivers with solid responses.
    Just curious why do you push jerk instead of split jerk?
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks all! Very helpful!
    I really don't use the push jerk at all nor do I use it in training programs that's why I was curious. I've seen in listed in some S+C programs and was wondering why it would be different than using the split jerk (aside from the biomechanical aspect) or if there was a sport to which that was a very specific motion.
    I think I'll stick to the push press and split jerk for now.
    Thanks again all!
    Applied Exercise Physiology Master's Student
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jhoffm8 View Post
    Thanks all! Very helpful!
    I really don't use the push jerk at all nor do I use it in training programs that's why I was curious. I've seen in listed in some S+C programs and was wondering why it would be different than using the split jerk (aside from the biomechanical aspect) or if there was a sport to which that was a very specific motion.
    I think I'll stick to the push press and split jerk for now.
    Thanks again all!
    At one time they had the press in comp but eventually took it out because the form was an issue, normally when doing it there was no back arch allowed as well as no push off with the legs, don't know the details of the history though.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.