Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

squats vs lunges

Which exercise is better for your legs? I know for me lunges work my legs out very effectively. I feel like squats are not as efficient as lunges for me.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Effective at doing what exactly?
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000) TheWiseEggroll is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squats are an exercise everybody should do to see the best results possible IMO. But if you like lunges so much, why not do both?

Will become a Natural Pro UCFBuilder's Avatar
    UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000) UCFBuilder is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i do both man..along with leg press...personally i feel lunges hit my tear drop more than squats do...the day i started putting lunges into my routine was when i really started seeing my tear drop come out

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do both.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    For some people, back squats work the legs hard. For others, not as much. I think it depends on your personal physiology, weak points, etc.

Specifically for leg development, I'd probably put my money on weighted lunges if I could only do one of the two exercises.

That said, I'd do both. (And I do.) As far as squats go, don't forget front squats, hack squats, etc. to help you hit the muscles you're trying to target.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MDPower75 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Lencho View Post
    Effective at doing what exactly?
    Exactly. Lunges might be OK for hypertrophy. But when it comes to strength there isn't even a question. Squats are called "The King of All Exercises" for a reason! A lot of people don't like doing them because heavy ATG Squats will destroy your frickin' will to live! Thats why they call a 20 rep squat set a widow maker! There is no better overall lower body exercise for strength and size.

Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do both of them. If ytou asking which is more productive. I say squats because its a motion someone uses everyday.
    It's time to get NASTY!

alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alekkx is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Squats win! My only leg exercise.

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Different ROM, but if your split allows you to hit legs twice a week, do them both, have the best of both worlds.

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wink

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nppzGV1U8y8

I love these videos!!!!

fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fmrmarineinbiz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Italiantank26 View Post
    Which exercise is better for your legs? I know for me lunges work my legs out very effectively. I feel like squats are not as efficient as lunges for me.
    Depends on how you're doing em. Doing sissy lunges with dumb bells on a bench or like a real man like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/bullrider722
    Me Squatting 405X5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirPD1kKkuQ

This link might save your life.
    http://www.superhumanradio.com/rss/2009/SHR_Show_388.mp3

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by fmrmarineinbiz View Post
    Depends on how you're doing em. Doing sissy lunges with dumb bells on a bench or like a real man like this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/bullrider722
    Nice heavy weight. Marginal Form.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Deep squats are better than lunges, and every single other exercise there is. Squats are the king of exercises, with deadlifts as co-ruler and power cleans as general.

Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post
    Deep squats are better than lunges, and every single other exercise there is. Squats are the king of exercises, with deadlifts as co-ruler and power cleans as general.
    Okay, let's not go overboard with the hyperbole here. Squat, Squat, Squat. Yeah, yeah. Love them. But I don't use them for my biceps, so they're not the best for everything.

The OP asked what's the best for leg development. Depending on the individual Squats may or may not be the best. Personally, if we are only talking about hammering the legs to oblivion, I think Lunges would probably do the job better since it focuses more of the total effort in the legs.
    Last edited by VoxExMachina; 11-11-2009 at 06:18 AM.

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    For some people, back squats work the legs hard. For others, not as much. I think it depends on your personal physiology, weak points, etc.

Specifically for leg development, I'd probably put my money on weighted lunges if I could only do one of the two exercises.

That said, I'd do both. (And I do.) As far as squats go, don't forget front squats, hack squats, etc. to help you hit the muscles you're trying to target.

really good council

likewise, sets and reps and load can make a big difference to feeling/effect.
    mc

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by gordonrumble View Post

Colonel = bench press
    Lt. Colonel = OH press
    Major = good mornings
    Capitan = GHR's
    1st Lieutanant = rows
    2nd Lieutenant = pullups
    Sergeant Major = CGBP
    1st Sergeant = SLDL
    Master Sergeant = barbell curls
    Sergeant 1st Class = decline skullcrushers
    Sergeant = incline DB hammer curls
    Corporal = EZ bar spider curls
    PFC = kickbackz
    Private Benjamin
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

tinifitme has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

you need both

lunges are most effective in the ham, glutes (back). squats work the quads (front). they both work all of the leg, but designed to target differently. if you want well developed legs you NEED to do both.

Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Italiantank26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm will add both exercises to my routine, do lunges on Tuesday, squats on Thursday. Problem was, with squats my back was sore sometimes, I just started doing dead lifts so that should maybe solve this problem, along with getting the proper form down. Also for squats I do full ROM, and therefore I can only squat like 225, because I just recently started squatting too, so I feel like a pussy. Another question, as you increase your weight in lunges, should this also help with your squats? I do 3x10 for lunges, starting with 45lb dumbbells moving up to 55lbs. Two years ago when I use to squat I couldn't do this at all, but I could box squat 375.