-SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000)

Even on a 500 deficit would you still do cardio?

Yes i'm losing weight But would adding cardio help ACCELERATE or hinder LOSE MUSCLE?

StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongIron84 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -SLIX- View Post
    Yes i'm losing weight But would adding cardio help ACCELERATE or hinder LOSE MUSCLE?
    personally, i still do cardio roughly 30 minutes after each lifting session but atleast 15 minutes depending on how i feel

i don't really count calories anymore but when i first started i did, and i just eat around the same amount as when i started, and i seem to be losing weight gradually with minimal muscle loss if any (roughly 1-1.5 pounds a week) steadily
    Body Transformation + Abdomnioplasty results
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQx7fWIEblU

F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) F.Liu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you're doing cardio without proper diet and post workout nutrition, especially HIIT, then you will lose muscle.

If you do maybe 20-30 minutes of low intensity after a weightlifting workout, it'll burn more fat than muscle, if any.

Also, the body is supposedly at its best state to burn fat after around 20 minutes of exercise, which you could take into consideration when working out.

-SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000) -SLIX- is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks guys. Appreciate. Yeah been doing 1 hour low intensity cardio. 30 morning, 30 mins night.

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When dieting down, we'll lose muscle, so lose the fat quick as possible and head back to maintaining, than bulk.

Might as well do HIIT to speed up the lost and improve your cardiovascular health at the same time.

The downside to having big deficit is the lack of energy to perform & exert your potential lifts to maintain muscle. IMO
    Thanks guys. Appreciate. Yeah been doing 1 hour low intensity cardio. 30 morning, 30 mins night.
    Your current low intensity cardio is fine, as long it doesn't hindrance your recovery from lifting.

zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50) zbrewha863 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You factor it into determining your caloric defecit. If you have a 500cal defecit, then do an hour of cardio on top of it, now you have somwhere around a 1500cal defecit, which means that you will lose a good amount of muscle.
    He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms. - Psalms 18:34

^ i agree. But 1 hour low intensity is going to burn 300 or so calories i assume. Not really that much

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Look into few articles that Lyle muster up, better than taking advice from nobodies on these forums.

edit: forgot to add link

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
    Last edited by Vietgoboi; 11-09-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think three 20 minute cardio sessions per week at a relatively high intensity are mandatory equipement for everyone. Beyond that, I would do as little cardio as possible to hit the goal. If you get the fat moving on that cardio plan and a deficit, don't fix what ain't broke.

Here's what I did for my contest diet last year. Start: 3 20 minute sessions; 2 weeks later 5 sessions; 2 weeks later increased 5 minutes on each session; 2 weeks later added another 5 minutes and a sixth session; few weeks later bumped to 40 minutes a day but broke into two sessions (AM and PM). I think I got all the way to doing 60 minutes a day broken into three 20 minute sessions. ....YOu may ask why the short sessions.. It's allot less catabolic and who cares how much fat you burn in a single session anyway... It's the metabolic effect over weeks/months that you are looking for.

This is called a cardio progression. The point is: do as little as necessary to reach your goal. Don't do it all at once. Guys that come out swinging by doing an hour of cardio a day are the same guys you see doing 2-3 hours as they get closer to their goal - don't be that guy.

Hope this helps a little.
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Exclamation

cardio increases the shti out of my appetite. so, absolutely not. cardio makes it hard to control my calories. =S

Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mlupi319 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IMHO cardio is great, it may increase your appetite a lil as it has for me but i just suck it up. I would reccomend low intensity for 20-40min if after lifting weights, and HIIT on non lifting days. HIIT on lifting days i think is counter productive to both because you will have less energy to do true HIIT and you lose too much muscle, at least for me.
    "Gracie is doing anything he can to hang on....See, Royce isn't choking him with his legs there because he has no leverage. He's just trying to hold Severn back."

Seconds later, Severn taps to the first triangle choke in MMA. Classic.

bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10) bb.wolf is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've lost the last 20 pounds doing absolutely no cardio and you couldn't classify me as someone with a fast metabolism. Keep your workouts intense, pause little unless its a compound like squats/deads/benchpress. I keep the same deficit but i dont have cheat days. sure i might go to subway or mcdonalds but i almost never exceed the amount of calories i set for my cut. (might go over 100 cals no biggie)

goutkris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goutkris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it better to do cardio before you lift?

i tried several times and observed that all the pumping is gone if i do cardio after weight training..

any thoughts on this??

and can we really give our 100% on weights after the cardio is done?? :P

Originally Posted by goutkris View Post
    Is it better to do cardio before you lift?

i tried several times and observed that all the pumping is gone if i do cardio after weight training..

any thoughts on this??

and can we really give our 100% on weights after the cardio is done?? :P
    Your right about 100% effort, but this depends on intensity/duration of your pre-cardio, is it warm-up? Should consist of 5-10 minutes moderate or lower.

MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100) MayaRefugee is not very well liked. (-100)
    Let me wrap up the topic of cardio frequency this way: If I were overweight and
    I knew what I now know about fat loss, I would be doing cardio every day, possibly even
    twice a day, seven days a week until I was happy with my weight. Then and only then
    would I cut back to three days a week for maintenance.....Tom Venuto in Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle

senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50) senor_mortgage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mayarefugee View Post
    ?let me wrap up the topic of cardio frequency this way: If i were overweight and
    i knew what i now know about fat loss, i would be doing cardio every day, possibly even
    twice a day, seven days a week until i was happy with my weight. Then and only then
    would i cut back to three days a week for maintenance.?....tom venuto in burn the fat feed the muscle
    +1.

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MayaRefugee View Post
    “Let me wrap up the topic of cardio frequency this way: If I were overweight and
    I knew what I now know about fat loss, I would be doing cardio every day, possibly even
    twice a day, seven days a week until I was happy with my weight. Then and only then
    would I cut back to three days a week for maintenance.”....Tom Venuto in Burn the Fat Feed The Muscle
    Makes sense to a point but here's where it's flawed. Why do an hour of cardio if you can move fat with 20 minutes?? That is why competitors usually follow a cardio "progression". You work up to it. If I started with 60 minutes of cardio, what the hell will I be doing 3 weeks out from a show??? 2 or 3 hours?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you do cardio on top of a 500 cal defecit you'll increase your defecit and lose fat quicker the guys that get too hungry need to learn to control their appetite. 500 cal defecit and 500 cals burned from cardio is 1,000 defecit a day which is 2 lbs a week which is good. One of the problems with a 500 cal defecit is if you mis calc your cals and you really only have a 300 cal defecit you're spinning your wheels on fatloss as far as timing. You need to play around with different approaches and find your sweet spot.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Striving for greatness awesomepirate's Avatar
    awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500) awesomepirate is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Basically, if you want to lose fat, then do cardio, even on a 500 cal deficit, even if you're training with heavy weights.

You change that if you're trying to preserve muscle or whatever other goals you may have. But if it's purely fat loss, then loads cardio is the way forward. For me, I don't want to lose what the 10 months of hard work and loads of eating gave me: a lot of mass; so I went with Mitotropin and am following that plan. My goal is to keep the muscle and lose the fat.

I have *hugely* upped my protein and am creating one beast of a deficit with a lot of cardio and big weight sessions on top of a "cleaner than clean" diet. Hopefully, a lot of the fat will go and a lot of the muscle will stay.
    Last edited by awesomepirate; 11-10-2009 at 06:19 AM.
    -Procrastination is like masturbation. You enjoy yourself whilst you're doing it, but in the end.... you're still just fukking yourself.
    -I pity mediocrity. One should strive for greatness in all that one does.

dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dbluegoat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lift heavy, keep muscle...deficit+cardio+lifting=WIN BIG!

RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUDEMIX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cape 1, great info and post!. Was this high or low intensity cardio?

"Here's what I did for my contest diet last year. Start: 3 20 minute sessions; 2 weeks later 5 sessions; 2 weeks later increased 5 minutes on each session; 2 weeks later added another 5 minutes and a sixth session; few weeks later bumped to 40 minutes a day but broke into two sessions (AM and PM). I think I got all the way to doing 60 minutes a day broken into three 20 minute sessions. ....YOu may ask why the short sessions.. It's allot less catabolic and who cares how much fat you burn in a single session anyway... It's the metabolic effect over weeks/months that you are looking for."

Originally Posted by RUDEMIX View Post
    Cape 1, great info and post!. Was this high or low intensity cardio?

"Here's what I did for my contest diet last year. Start: 3 20 minute sessions; 2 weeks later 5 sessions; 2 weeks later increased 5 minutes on each session; 2 weeks later added another 5 minutes and a sixth session; few weeks later bumped to 40 minutes a day but broke into two sessions (AM and PM). I think I got all the way to doing 60 minutes a day broken into three 20 minute sessions. ....YOu may ask why the short sessions.. It's allot less catabolic and who cares how much fat you burn in a single session anyway... It's the metabolic effect over weeks/months that you are looking for."
    THanks. Mostly moderate intensity sessions with 1 HIIT session and 1 sprint session. I mostly Ran but did mix in some bike and stairs.

When I was doing 3 sessions a day, I did the bike for 20 minutes upon waking (took BCAA and sipped it while riding); at lunch I took a brisk 20 minute walk; and at night I ran for 20 minutes - usually pretty hard - or I did the stairs after lifting. On one of my runs each week I would do intervals between telephone poles (on the Cape Cod Canal the poles are spaced out with a good uniformity). Then one session a week I would get up in the AM, go to the high school track and do sprint work. This was when I was all in with the cardio towards the end. I certainly wouldn't recommend starting out that way.

Right now, I'm actually doing five 15 minute runs (AM) per week and I'm actually loosing fat beleive it or not. I'm pretty fat right now though at around 16-18% so anything works at this point.