mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)

breaking the bench platue

ok guys so looking for some advanced advice on breaking my bench platue.... I have had other platue's, but after time have been able to get thru them, but this one is different.

so its bulking season time, and it seems like every bulking season I hit a platue on my bench. Last night I got my flat bench @ 355lbs for 8 slow solid reps. the problem is this is always what I get. I have tried doing more power lifting moves, reverse grip benches, everything. I can never get that 375 for 8. each year it just seems this is where I max (for reps). do you guys think this is my genetic potential? or maybe I should try backing off the heavy benche's for awhile (I never do that) and see what happens.. just frustrated. I also I have seemed to notice as i get older and keep lifting the heavier weights my shoulder joints seem to be feeling it more and more each year.
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mavrick77 View Post
    ok guys so looking for some advanced advice on breaking my bench platue.... I have had other platue's, but after time have been able to get thru them, but this one is different.

so its bulking season time, and it seems like every bulking season I hit a platue on my bench. Last night I got my flat bench @ 355lbs for 8 slow solid reps. the problem is this is always what I get. I have tried doing more power lifting moves, reverse grip benches, everything. I can never get that 375 for 8. each year it just seems this is where I max (for reps). do you guys think this is my genetic potential? or maybe I should try backing off the heavy benche's for awhile (I never do that) and see what happens.. just frustrated. I also I have seemed to notice as i get older and keep lifting the heavier weights my shoulder joints seem to be feeling it more and more each year.
    Not that your lacking (no homo) but maybe some tricep blitzing. just a thought.

Truth fears no questions FlexinMike's Avatar
    FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000) FlexinMike is just really nice. (+1000)
    I say take a break from heavy benches for awhile or give yourself more rest time between chest days. I do not think you have reached your maximum potential.
    I thought I was strong till I watched my wife fight through GBS.I could only dream to have as much strength and will power as her!

Co-owner of Flex N Style™

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm not very well qualified to respond to your post, but I too am at a bench plateau and I'm backing off and using DB's for a while.

My shoulders were getting worn out doing flat bench as well.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What worked for me was purchasing a couple of 1.25 lb weights. Sometimes going up
    by even 5 lbs is too much but half of that is perfect to keep the strength progressing. I got up to a 200 lb bench this way.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Karl_Hungus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are doing it for 8 reps, I wouldn't consider that "heavy". But, from your post, it sounds like you are doing the same weight, same reps every week. Your body adapts to that. Personally, I would suggest changing up the weight and rep scheme. Maybe try multiple sets of 3 reps for a couple of weeks, and then switch to higher reps for a bit. I can usually break through plateaus doing that sort of thing.

You mentioned that you do 355 for 8 "slow" reps. If you want to up your strength, you might consider adopting more of a powerlifter mentality. Push the weight up as fast as you can.

Good assistance exercises can help too. Heavy close-grip benching has done wonders for my bench press.

plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000) plmb1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Old_Swole View Post
    Not that your lacking (no homo) but maybe some tricep blitzing. just a thought.
    this

Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    What worked for me was purchasing a couple of 1.25 lb weights. Sometimes going up
    by even 5 lbs is too much but half of that is perfect to keep the strength progressing. I got up to a 200 lb bench this way.
    this
    Originally Posted by Karl_Hungus View Post
    If you are doing it for 8 reps, I wouldn't consider that "heavy". But, from your post, it sounds like you are doing the same weight, same reps every week. Your body adapts to that. Personally, I would suggest changing up the weight and rep scheme. Maybe try multiple sets of 3 reps for a couple of weeks, and then switch to higher reps for a bit. I can usually break through plateaus doing that sort of thing.

You mentioned that you do 355 for 8 "slow" reps. If you want to up your strength, you might consider adopting more of a powerlifter mentality. Push the weight up as fast as you can.

Good assistance exercises can help too. Heavy close-grip benching has done wonders for my bench press.
    this

and maybe.....time off or deload....

I would not think you've hit your natural limit....

For me.....each time I break through a wall the wall comes back a little bit thicker......so, it harder to break through each time....

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pop Tart Diet?

Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hi_Volume is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Have you ever tried positive resistance band or chain training ?

I am now on my second 8 week band cycle. My first 8 week training cycle I picked up a solid 15% on my 3 rep max. This cycle is moving along well but I will be happy if I finish with a 9-10% gain this go round.

This type of training will develop explosive lock outs. I enjoy banded squats even more.

Bands are light and just as effective as chains but cheap and easy to set up in any gym.
    Attached Images

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for all thoose that replied....I do heavy tricep work, and tri's are very strong. it does not seem thats where I fail when I bench, more so maybe in the front delts.

and the person who said I need to change up my rep scheme is probably right, and as for dungeon mistres she is right as well, i do need to use some baby weights. I always tell people to check their ego at the door when I am training them, I need to heed my own advice.

i think my plan of attack will be going one week in the light range (12-15 reps) and one week in the heavy range (4-8 reps), incorporated with using some 2.5lb plates on the heavy weeks. Only 7 weeks left in my bulking, need to get that bench up to 405 for 6

**BTW awesome bench dungeon mistress... my wife just got 145 for 8 last night..would love to see her hit that 200lb mark
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) S-D has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Breaking the plateau

I read this in a article a while back and it worked for me. I was stuck at 255lb for my 1RM on my flat bench for a year. Every thing I tried failed to achieve the break through I was looking for until I tried doing negatives. Find yourself a squat rack and set up the bar so you lift off the long supports. For the first three sets set up the bar so you only lift about 3" off the supports. I started with 20% greater than my 1RM 300lb. Do 3 sets for all you can. Drop the pegs down one notch on the squat rack and do 10% more than of your 1RM 280lb. This is were the pain comes into play. Do 3 sets for all you can again. Drop the supports one notch again and do 5% more than you 1RM 260lb. I did this once a week for two weeks and still did my normal chest routine. Than gave it a rest for one week and checked my 1RM max and pushed 270lb and 275lb the next week. It's great for breaking plateau's but I recommend only doing it for a short time.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for all thoose that replied....I do heavy tricep work, and tri's are very strong. it does not seem thats where I fail when I bench, more so maybe in the front delts.

and the person who said I need to change up my rep scheme is probably right, and as for dungeon mistres she is right as well, i do need to use some baby weights. I always tell people to check their ego at the door when I am training them, I need to heed my own advice.

i think my plan of attack will be going one week in the light range (12-15 reps) and one week in the heavy range (4-8 reps), incorporated with using some 2.5lb plates on the heavy weeks. Only 7 weeks left in my bulking, need to get that bench up to 405 for 6

**BTW awesome bench dungeon mistress... my wife just got 145 for 8 last night..would love to see her hit that 200lb mark
    thanks a bunch!! my proudest moment was when my 'bench press 200 lbs' pink beater with the lace trim came in the mail and i wore it for the first time. i wore the damn thing threadbare actually.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Getting younger every day ProfBush's Avatar
    ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50) ProfBush will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    S-D and Karl are both on the right track. It sounds as though you are doing the same weight and reps every week. Your body adapts to that. I have found that negative reps incorporated into my routine shocks my nervous system so that when I do my next chest workout my body has geared up for it.

I have someone I trust spot me close and I lower the bar very slowly and try to explode up only to be rescued. I can almost hear my nervous system saying "Holy cr*p, I was just getting good at his PR and now he expects this from me." I usually break through on the next workout.

Originally Posted by ProfBush View Post
    S-D and Karl are both on the right track. It sounds as though you are doing the same weight and reps every week. Your body adapts to that. I have found that negative reps incorporated into my routine shocks my nervous system so that when I do my next chest workout my body has geared up for it.

I have someone I trust spot me close and I lower the bar very slowly and try to explode up only to be rescued. I can almost hear my nervous system saying "Holy cr*p, I was just getting good at his PR and now he expects this from me." I usually break through on the next workout.
    trust me I understand negatives.... and by no means am I trying to be disrespectfull, but when your 1 rep max is in the 450 range....its a whole new ball game.... I have had other platues, this one is different. I cant do negatives with 550 or 600....my shoulders just cant take it in my old age.

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You said each year you get to this point and can't get farthur. Is there a break period in here somewhere when you stop lifting then return to it again? Are you at the same bodyweight when this happens every year? You look great and those are nice bench numbers. I get it though we always want a little more.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It sounds like a mental barrier to me. I've been trying to break out on my bench but it's a physical barrier, at a certain weight my shoulder acts up and I have to back off.

I'm making another push at my max right now and so far so good.

I'd try the chains if I were you or maybe some partial reps off the pins in a power rack.

Excellent numbers though.
    Was friends with Methuselah

TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

my 1 rep max is 500lbs............

things that have been helpful to me.

I use bands. I use bands under the bench and I also use them in a rack doing it in reverse.

Rack Lockouts
    Chains ( my chains and the bar weigh 191lbs)
    Boards are awesome. If your doing 450 1 rep max try and 405 for reps using a 3 board. This will get your body use to pushing heavy weights and will strenghten you over all.
    Floor presses.
    Use band in reverse with boards
    Speed boards
    Heavy Negs using releasers.

I used this routine sometimes and it has worked for me.

week 1- 8-11 reps using light weights. For maximum benefit I do the following.
    Warm up first than add a weigth that you can do for 8-11 reps, when you can do 12 reps add 5 lbs. After completing the set take off 20-25lbs and stay in the same rep range. Do this for 3 compete sets.

High Rep week
    Currently I do 365lbs 11 reps ( some times less....have not done 12 yet).
    Then I drop down to 345lbs and do anther 11 reps (hopefully).
    Than I drop down to 320 and do another 11 reps.

Low Rep week
    440 for 3 reps
    425 for 3 reps
    405 for 3 reps

I do this for 6 weeks and do something else.

Good luck..............

trust me I understand negatives.... and by no means am I trying to be disrespectfull, but when your 1 rep max is in the 450 range....its a whole new ball game.... I have had other platues, this one is different. I cant do negatives with 550 or 600....my shoulders just cant take it in my old age.
    Last edited by TENACIOUS; 11-11-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: oh yea I am old too 44.....45 this Jan
    EAT SLEEP LIFT

Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
    You said each year you get to this point and can't get farthur. Is there a break period in here somewhere when you stop lifting then return to it again? Are you at the same bodyweight when this happens every year? You look great and those are nice bench numbers. I get it though we always want a little more.
    Well I still compete sometimes, so my winter time is my bulk time and when I add strength. No matter how hard I try, every year when I diet for competiition or whatever reason it may be, my strength suffers. so I really only have 12-16 weeks a year to truly focus on pure strength and power, the rest of the year I am just trying to keep what I have.

my avi pic is actually the worst I had looked in a long time, that was after being laid up for over 6 weeks because of my back. (need disc replacement)

Originally Posted by TENACIOUS View Post
    my 1 rep max is 500lbs............

things that have been helpful to me.

I use bands. I use bands under the bench and I also use them in a rack doing it in reverse.

Rack Lockouts
    Chains ( my chains and the bar weigh 191lbs)
    Boards are awesome. If your doing 450 1 rep max try and 405 for reps using a 3 board. This will get your body use to pushing heavy weights and will strenghten you over all.
    Floor presses.
    Use band in reverse with boards
    Speed boards
    Heavy Negs using releasers.

I used this routine sometimes and it has worked for me.

week 1- 8-11 reps using light weights. For maximum benefit I do the following.
    Warm up first than add a weigth that you can do for 8-11 reps, when you can do 12 reps add 5 lbs. After completing the set take off 20-25lbs and stay in the same rep range. Do this for 3 compete sets.

High Rep week
    Currently I do 365lbs 11 reps ( some times less....have not done 12 yet).
    Then I drop down to 345lbs and do anther 11 reps (hopefully).
    Than I drop down to 320 and do another 11 reps.

Low Rep week
    440 for 3 reps
    425 for 3 reps
    405 for 3 reps

I do this for 6 weeks and do something else.

Good luck..............
    ^^^^ good advice, thanks. this was the type of advanced training advice I was looking for. not sure if it will help, but I will give it a shot. need to get that 1RM over 500lbs raw by Jan.1

TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50) TENACIOUS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink

^^^^ good advice, thanks. This was the type of advanced training advice i was looking for. Not sure if it will help, but i will give it a shot. Need to get that 1rm over 500lbs raw by jan.1
    can do it.............. Your still young
    EAT SLEEP LIFT

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I find that waveloading has really helped me bust through plateuas. This style training is great for adding strength and size. The article gives and example for a chest routine, but you can use this style training for any body part.

Hope it helps!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n16676154/
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Arlecchino has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

No one ever hits their genetic potential.

No one.

It is not just one thing. Your entire routine would need to be examined, diet, etc. Are you getting enough rest.

Bench specific questions:
    Where do you stick in the bench? Ever perform heavier reps than your goal weight? Any injuries at all?

Do you do specific work for your external rotators? What is the ratio of your bb row (pronated) to your bench press?

What can you military press?

Have you ever used chains or bands?

Originally Posted by Arlecchino View Post
    No one ever hits their genetic potential.

No one.

It is not just one thing. Your entire routine would need to be examined, diet, etc. Are you getting enough rest.

Bench specific questions:
    Where do you stick in the bench? Ever perform heavier reps than your goal weight? Any injuries at all?

Do you do specific work for your external rotators? What is the ratio of your bb row (pronated) to your bench press?

What can you military press?

Have you ever used chains or bands?
    Ohh I have injuries that I have to work around....my biggest is my degenerated disc in my L5/S1, stuck on pain meds untill I can fly to germany for a disc replacement.

so with my injured lower back, I can't do bent over rows....I actually have my wife hold my feet and do hanging rows, as I call them. My milatary press is always done behind my head, can get 275 for about 5-6. I have used chains, but I do not focus on primarly powerlifting, so I don't own any. I still bodybuild, but would be nice if I could get that bench to keep going up, ya know? My sticking point in my bench is right about the middle, hence why I think its my front delts holding me back, i.e. if fI failed at the bottom I would assume it was my lats.

gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000) gun-G is a name known to all. (+5000)

Partials in the power rack

Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    thanks a bunch!! my proudest moment was when my 'bench press 200 lbs' pink beater with the lace trim came in the mail and i wore it for the first time. i wore the damn thing threadbare actually.
    Now excuse me, mavrick, sorry to get sidetracked, but WHAT??
    You wore a beater pink T shirt with lace with nothing else to pump out a bench press and nobody notices this???

(Yells out window): IS EVERYBODY OUT THERE DEAD?
    Last edited by gun-G; 11-11-2009 at 03:09 PM.
    Carpe Diem, BABY

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I was going to suggest implementing higher reps. What has helped me, when I am using Flat Bench as part of my Chest routine, is heavy, low reps like on Monday with full chest workout, increasing the weight by 5lbs each week or every other week; and then, higher reps on Thursday.

On the higher rep days I would not increase the weight, but I tried to increase the reps. I would also not do any other chest exercises. I found that over a long periof of experimentation on the higher rep days if I increased the weight, it hurt my upcoming heavy day. I had to find the right high-rep weight for best heavy day results.

Everyone is different, but that is what worked for me. Hope you find what works for you.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.