ohndray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Homemade gainer (No Blender Recipe)

Hey guys... fairly new to the forums and thought there'd be some great feedback for my idea. Hope this will spawn some good conversations and other ideas for some high quality homemade gainers.

I'm bulking and I eat very well.... good carbs, lot's of protein, good fats. The only problem is eating when I have class or work.

Plus I need something to help me get to 3000 cals.

The goal for my gainer was to have carbs that were complex and low GI... no malto (Don't think they'd be good for anything besides pre, intra, or post workout) or anything too sugary either. I made some compromises for sugar with the carbs in dry milk and some cocoa powder though. I'm choosing to use oat flour and brown rice flour for my carbs. ( I actually did a test run yesterday of some dry milk, whey, and oat flour... wasn't too bad tasting! I was surprised.)

As far as proteins go, I didn't want to use whey exclusively. I wanted a good mix of different proteins so I'm planning on using LG sciences Lipotropic Protein. I chose this for the price and the mix of proteins. I figure the dry milk will add some casein too.

I'm a fairly busy person and needed something I could just add water to in a shaker. No blenders.

HERE'S THE BREAKDOWN

I. 2 servings dry milk ($ 0.32)
    160 cals
    24g carbs
    16g protein

II. 1/3 cup oat flour ($0.20)
    120 cals
    3g fat
    21g carbs
    3g protein

III. ¼ cup brown rice flour ($0.20)
    140 cals
    1g fat
    31g carbs
    2g protein

IV. 1 and ½ scoop Lipotropic protein($0.90)
    230 cals
    1g fat
    2g carbs
    39 protein

V. 2 servings Hershey cocoa ($0.15)
    20 cals
    6g carbs

VI. Totals ($1.77 per serving)
    670 cals
    5g fat
    84g carbs
    66g pro

If it's not obvious... the values in parentheses represent the cost per serving.

The cost per 100 calories come out to be $0.26.

I think this is comparable to Optimum's Complex Pro Gainer.

Adding almond flour would add another $0.30, 80 calories, 7g fat, 3g carbs, 3g protein. (I left this our because this stuff is kinda expensive... talking anywhere from $8-12 a pound) I would add this to bring grams of fat up and bump up the cals a little... don't know if it's worth it though.

I spent a lot of time perusing the forums, looking up proteins on BB.com, going to stores and looking at labels and prices. Hoping for some good feedback before I commit to buying everything.

Thanks in advance guys! The forums have been a tremendous help to me in the past months.

Just for anyone who's reading the thread

I picked up some Syntrax Matrix (chocolate) and omitted the brown rice flour (using 2/3 cup oat flour... just because I have the oat flour) for now.

This recipe mixes well with water (about 16 oz will do) and doesn't taste half bad!

The recipe definitely looks like a lot when you see it in a shaker... looks are deceiving.

All in all I think I got a winner here in terms of taste, nutrition and convenience.

Gimme some feedback guys!

antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) antihero has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ohndray View Post

I picked up some Syntrax Matrix (chocolate) and omitted the brown rice flour (using 2/3 cup oat flour... just because I have the oat flour) for now.

This recipe mixes well with water (about 16 oz will do) and doesn't taste half bad!

The recipe definitely looks like a lot when you see it in a shaker... looks are deceiving.

All in all I think I got a winner here in terms of taste, nutrition and convenience.

Syntrax
    I'm just here for the gangbang.

steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10) steeldragons is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I will give you some feedback. It's nice to see someone with so few posts putting together a good thread with some good info. You have certainly done your homework and I hope you get the results and answers that you deserve.
    Stand For Something or Fall For Anything
    ---------------------------------------
    AOR Ortho Core Multi
    Controlled Labs Orange Triad
    AOR Advanced B Complex
    Now Ultra Omega-3
    Now Methyl B-12

Underwear model wannabe caesarer's Avatar
    caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I still think it's too much protein. Okay if you're cycling something, I usually keep my gainer (that's actually my breakfast), around 1100kcal, and around 35g~40g protein, no reason to waste it.

Originally Posted by caesarer View Post
    I still think it's too much protein. Okay if you're cycling something, I usually keep my gainer (that's actually my breakfast), around 1100kcal, and around 35g~40g protein, no reason to waste it.
    I was thinking the same thing... I might cut the protein powder down to 1 scoop (ease up on my liver haha). That'll bring it down to about 51 grams.... though it also cuts out some calories. BUT on the other hand it's just to keep me tied over for a few hours until I can get some real food in me!

Thanks guys!

caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10) caesarer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was thinking the same thing... I might cut the protein powder down to 1 scoop (ease up on my liver haha). That'll bring it down to about 51 grams.... though it also cuts out some calories. BUT on the other hand it's just to keep me tied over for a few hours until I can get some real food in me!

Thanks guys!
    it's not much about the liver, but the waste of proteins. the body, without any addition (steroids), can't comply with a lot of protein at once. it's just a matter of saving this protein for another time, maybe 3 hours later
    I usually add FRUCTOSE to my shake, since it's a sugar (1g = 1g of carb = 4kcal) with a VERY LOW glycemic index, which is very good for sustained energy, along with the complex low glycemic carbs from oats, it's awesome.

Originally Posted by caesarer View Post
    it's not much about the liver, but the waste of proteins. the body, without any addition (steroids), can't comply with a lot of protein at once. it's just a matter of saving this protein for another time, maybe 3 hours later
    I usually add FRUCTOSE to my shake, since it's a sugar (1g = 1g of carb = 4kcal) with a VERY LOW glycemic index, which is very good for sustained energy, along with the complex low glycemic carbs from oats, it's awesome.
    Thanks for the knowledge

klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klaus42 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    in a recent study now they are saying that too much protein can shrink your brain.

Originally Posted by klaus42 View Post
    in a recent study now they are saying that too much protein can shrink your brain.
    link or neg

Location: Portsmouth, West Sussex, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) a2k00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by klaus42 View Post
    Bull****