Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)

Question Physiological risks associated with arching the back during seated dumbbell press?

So for a few years, I did dumbbell presses on an adjustable vertical bench, and somehow developed the bad habit of arching my scapula and pressing my head into the board to move more weight.

Got tired of the crappy adjustable bench, got a much sturdier bench that only does flat. Tried normal dumbbell presses without the head support and without the arching, and it took 15 pounds off my working weight.

I knew all along that I was using bad form and depending on the back of the head support and the scapular rotation, but I just didn't really pay attention.

I am wondering what sort of risks I may have been enduring, and more specifically if this bad form could be a factor in mild lordosis.

Any references to external kinesiological studies, etc.

Thanks
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's pretty ok to get your back flat into a an adjustable bench for your curls. Natural back activation occurs. Arched no, neck no, but inclined, yes and a good idea.
    take a look at these two vids to walk through i HOPE some answers to your form queries

best
    mc

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lol thanks mc but I was talking about dumbbell shoulder press...
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mc- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MantisShrimp View Post
    Lol thanks mc but I was talking about dumbbell shoulder press...
    I beg your pardon i guess i saw dumbbells and back arch and all i could think of reasonably were curls.

oh dear arch and neck.

well that's so not right on so many levels.
    Axial loading in spinal extension puts tremendous pressure on the spine - so the forces aren't distributed evenly around the disk.

This extension also causes less mobility - to test this for your self without load, just lay back into extension and try rotating your trunk; then try rotating your trunk in neutral - freer right?

So that loss of mobility that you're supposed to be able to maintain in an overhead press is also going to send reflexive signals to lessen strength output to keep you in less risk - it's a threat response.
    (if you want to check this out see this post/vid on the arthrokinetic reflex (link))

And here's a simple question on your strength press - are you bracing with your breath, so that your spine is stabilized? are you firing your lats on your press to keep your shoulder stable? also if you use your eyes down for the first part of the press and eyes up for getting past the sticking point, you'll likely feel smoother and also press more.

hope that helps? yes no?

mc

wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wolveroonie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Forget how much weight you're doing! Form! Form! You'll be right back up fifteen pounds soon enough, and your bod will look better for it.
    Wouldn't you look better all ripped on a beach somewhere, than lounging in a hospital bed?
    Do nurses wear bikinis?
    Well, okay, maybe in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
    Originally Posted by MantisShrimp View Post
    So for a few years, I did dumbbell presses on an adjustable vertical bench, and somehow developed the bad habit of arching my scapula and pressing my head into the board to move more weight.

Got tired of the crappy adjustable bench, got a much sturdier bench that only does flat. Tried normal dumbbell presses without the head support and without the arching, and it took 15 pounds off my working weight.

I knew all along that I was using bad form and depending on the back of the head support and the scapular rotation, but I just didn't really pay attention.

I am wondering what sort of risks I may have been enduring, and more specifically if this bad form could be a factor in mild lordosis.

Any references to external kinesiological studies, etc.

Thanks