Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree, of course supplements help... Who doesn't want to ripped physique sooner with the assistance of healthy supplementation???

Originally Posted by Daniel360 View Post
    but you cant say that supplemets do not help, just dont expect overnight miracles
    Unleash Your Inner Power to Live a Ridiculously Happy, Fit Life!

francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10) francci69 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Amen! Yes, it absolutely does matter what you eat ~ that is if you have a normal to low metabolism. It's all about your body type, study what works best for your body, then set goals, think positive & follow through!

[QUOTE=MsDesi;461114981]
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    It is not about 'what' you eat - it is about how much you eat. So my suggestions -
    1. eat what she wants as long as it provides her the right calories, enough protein, and sufficient fats and fiber for health
    2. eat as regularly as she wants as long as point 1. is reached.

QUOTE]

DISAGREE with pt. 1 you just contradicted yourself in this statement... if she WANTS to eat a big mack, it's not going to give her the sufficient nutrients.
    This is what makes the difference between the cut, shapely person, versus the person who goes to the gym but still is chubby cause they aren't watching their food.
    Unleash Your Inner Power to Live a Ridiculously Happy, Fit Life!

flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10) flowerpower409 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MT-mtn_girl View Post
    LOL, yes there is! It's free and you probably have it lying around your house. It's either:
    a) a picture of how you used to look that you desire to look like again
    b) a picture of someone's body that you would like yours to resemble.
    My willpower is how I currently look (not good at all) and my desire to never look like this again.

Yes, I *am* new here.

LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoraJR72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by flowerpower409 View Post
    My willpower is how I currently look (not good at all) and my desire to never look like this again.

Yes, I *am* new here.
    I know you! Welcome and everyone is very helpful here.
    Believe you can and you're halfway there. - Theodore Roosevelt

awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) awhetstone has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Lightbulb

best way to gain lean muscle:
    eat more food.
    train heavy with weights.
    do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    Though fat-burners and high fiber foods also contribute to calorie deficit.

kymkoren has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:
    buy lots of useless supplements thinking they will help magically with the above.
    I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am a newbie and just found this website. BTW, I LOVE it. I am learning a ton on here but clearly I have much more to learn.

Emma-Leigh, my question to you and the group is....why is it one or the other? How do I achieve both at the same time? I want to build lean muscle WHILE dropping the body fat. So this leaves me confused, do I eat more or eat less? And do I increase cardio or do a less cadio?

I am 5'6", 125-128lbs, and skinny fat. A lot of fat & cellulite on my hips, legs and stomach. I am currently on week 2 of Jamie Eason's "12 week Tone & Define". Maybe I should have chose her "12week burning the fat program" instead? What do you guys think?

Thanks all!

NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NothinButNat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by emma-leigh View Post
    eat more food.
    Train heavy with weights.
    Do a little cardio to keep healthy.
    Rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    Train heavy with weights.
    Do more cardio to add to calorie deficit.
    Rest enough.

best way to waste money:
    so true!

hammy21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

True

How do you eat more food and eat less food at the same time. Seems a bit contradicting...

eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:

Celiac/Addisonian goalorientgirl's Avatar
    goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000) goalorientgirl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hammy21 View Post
    How do you eat more food and eat less food at the same time. Seems a bit contradicting...
    That's the whole point. With a few exceptions, most people have to pick one goal: gain muscle OR lose fat. Some people can do both at the same time (called a "recomp") and they do that by eating closer to their maintenance level of calories (ie. in the middle of what you'd aim for for either fat loss or muscle gain) but for most people it's one or the other.
    Niece: "How can you be immune to cars? Even like, a Ferrari?"

My 'From Scrawny to Oh God Please Not So Scrawny' journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=691717541

cvw010 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank You! I feel the same way...so yes you (we) can do this. Patients is willpower
    VAL :)

BrookeJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NO-Explode works wonders on keeping me focused in the gym, especially when I have no starchy carbs!

BrookeJohnson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With today's technology/research, whatever you want to call it, it would be silly to think supplements do nothing but waste money. They would be a waste of money if you didn't eat right and exercise. They don't replace bad habits, they just help when you are already doing what you should. Do a few no starchy carb days every week for 12 weeks, go the gym and lift with no supplements. Go to the gym and take something like NO-Explode and you will feel a difference. That focus and energy boost helps you workout harder/longer, which helps you burn fat/build muscle.

AlexanderLin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for such sharing and let's keep fit together.

AlexanderLin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It sounds great and I may have a try on it later.

ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50) ShanWow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BrookeJohnson View Post
    With today's technology/research, whatever you want to call it, it would be silly to think supplements do nothing but waste money. They would be a waste of money if you didn't eat right and exercise. They don't replace bad habits, they just help when you are already doing what you should. Do a few no starchy carb days every week for 12 weeks, go the gym and lift with no supplements. Go to the gym and take something like NO-Explode and you will feel a difference. That focus and energy boost helps you workout harder/longer, which helps you burn fat/build muscle.
    Agree 100% on the magic-ness that is N.O.Xplode!

ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ameristar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As a trained medical professional, I feel I may need to put in a word about eating what you want as long as it doesn't go over your daily limit of calories.

There is one slight problem that may effect your health. True, eating the right amount of calories is what will make you lose weight in the long run, but you need to think about your heart. If you eat pizza and unhealthy foods but exercise a lot, you might be thin, but your heart will actually become fatty. There are a lot of thin people walking around with fast metabolisms who eat very badly, and their hearts are fatty as all hell.

I don't know how many times I've had to pick up people who had a heart attack who actually weight less than I do. EAT HEALTHY FOODS!
    ~~~Never, never, never give up.~~~

MrEx303 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MrEx303 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MrEx303 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MrEx303 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    very helpful stuff in here!

cathy853 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay....

best way to lose fat:
    East less food..... CHECK
    Do more cardio.... CHECK
    Rest.... CHECK
    Train heavy.... NOT SO CHECK

If I do 20-30 minutes of cardio, 4-5x's per week, and lift heavy 5 days a week (split), but only doing 2-3 exercises for muscle group each week, will that work? Or am I going to have to do more than 2-3 exercises for each muscle group per week? Or switch to a 3-day split?

eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:

kelkelcol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My name is Kel and I am very new to all the bodybuilding stuff, however I am not new to working out. I am 103.6 lbs. and my body fat is at 16% and I am about 5ft 1. I am trying to get very lean, but I don't wanna lose muscle just body fat. I have been lifting, but decreased cardio...do I need to increase cardio? My diet is pretty strict, however I am sure it could use some tweaking as well. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

chrisbinder1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:

Nice suggestions...I will definately try to walk on your suggested way to loose weight.

NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50) NatK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hammy21 View Post
    Reread - She didn't say to do both - you can't do both at the same time.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kelkelcol View Post
    My name is Kel and I am very new to all the bodybuilding stuff, however I am not new to working out. I am 103.6 lbs. and my body fat is at 16% and I am about 5ft 1. I am trying to get very lean, but I don't wanna lose muscle just body fat. I have been lifting, but decreased cardio...do I need to increase cardio? My diet is pretty strict, however I am sure it could use some tweaking as well. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.
    You're underweight for your height, so it's easy guess you don't carry much overall muscle at all. Trying to get leaner when you're underweight makes no sense...unless you're goal is to become emaciated. Your focus should be building, not cutting, you're going backwards...
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    You're underweight for your height, so it's easy guess you don't carry much overall muscle at all. Trying to get leaner when you're underweight makes no sense...unless you're goal is to become emaciated. Your focus should be building, not cutting, you're going backwards...
    Great suggestions as always, Kimm.

Originally Posted by cathy853 View Post
    Okay....

best way to lose fat:
    East less food..... CHECK
    Do more cardio.... CHECK
    Rest.... CHECK
    Train heavy.... NOT SO CHECK

If I do 20-30 minutes of cardio, 4-5x's per week, and lift heavy 5 days a week (split), but only doing 2-3 exercises for muscle group each week, will that work? Or am I going to have to do more than 2-3 exercises for each muscle group per week? Or switch to a 3-day split?
    These sorts of programs might work for the elite bodybuilder, but doing a 5 day split, for the other 98% of the population, is not necessary nor effective - they are not optimal for recovery, frequency, intensity or maintainability!

You are better off to pull back to a 3-4 x a week training program that incorporates more muscle groups per workout, allows you to hit each muscle every 3-5 days, and gives you more time to recover between sessions.

100pursegirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=MT-mtn_girl;457915651]LOL, yes there is! It's free and you probably have it lying around your house. It's either:
    a) a picture of how you used to look that you desire to look like again
    b) a picture of someone's body that you would like yours to resemble.

Great advice! Watching the biggest loser also helps- hearing Jillian work out the contestants gets me to do an extra workout!

beccbecc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:
    Sorry I'm still working out my fat loss nutrition so I might be a bit off the mark. I'm assuming then you are referring to (dreamer?) bulking & cutting.

With that how do you know when you are "ready" to cut?

A friend of mine mentioned lean bulking. Does this lie somewhere between the two?

alexisdoles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:

TOTALLY agree about the supplements. I recently weaned myself off of OxyElite, and before that NoExplode. Now I'm just natural, eating well and sleeping right.

Basically though I wanted to lose fat and I am already fit. Low body fat percentage, good muscle tone. In the past two weeks I lost about 6lbs which is DIFFICULT for me because I dont have *much* to lose, just in a few spots, and I build muscle quickly.

I did it by cutting calories, eating very lean foods, drinking more water, adding more leg work outs and doing more cardio.

Been taking naps every day...I feel great.
    Last edited by alexisdoles; 12-10-2011 at 04:53 AM.

lillfish has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by flowerpower409 View Post

Yes, I *am* new here.
    that's a good way of saying it. I feel like I don't give as much effort as I could, but I sure as hell desire to be a lot leaner. I guess it's a matter of putting those two together.
    Gymnasticbodies

aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aereo41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

perfect

eat more food.
    rest enough.

best way to lose fat:
    eat less food.
    rest enough.

best way to waste money:

It's more about the effort you put in the gym, not the supplements you take.

ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ItaLiCs has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by aereo41 View Post
    It's more about the effort you put in the gym, not the supplements you take.
    Trying to lose fat & gain muscle is hard. But I agree with the before mentioned; you have to have a balance of what you eat & cardio to accomplish both!
    ~ToyaGlennine

diannagail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Common Sense Diet and Exercise at 60 years of age

Emma-Leigh has it right... for diet I follow the one Christina prepares for her husband Matt Dugdale... the one with no special considerations for a competition time line.... her videos are great... she has videos on Bodybuilding.com under Cooking With Christina.... great stuff to check out.... I use just basic, easy to prepare, inexpensive good ingredients and it works great for me.
    For lifting I go for the big basic, compound movements and stay away from simple, isolated ones. The big basic lifts work the whole body in combination, so each lift works more muscles at a time and I get more all over fitness. I lift heavy but only up the point of needing a belt. I usually do three to four sets of 10 down to 4 reps. Increasing the weight and dropping the reps with each set. The 10 to 4 is for mass which is my objective at this time.
    Things change.....